Is the Obama Presidency advancing Islam?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (47 posts)
  1. cjhunsinger profile image60
    cjhunsingerposted 9 years ago

As the President of the United States continues to refuse to identify on going acts of Islamic terrorism with Islam; is his refusal to do so a direct or tacit approval or support for the religion of Islam and Sharia law over the Constitution?

The president of the United States has on several occassions voiced his support for Islam, "And I consider it part of my responsibility as President of the United States to fight against negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear."  Cairo University on June 4, 2009

" When I became the NASA Administrator, [President Obama] charged me with three things.-----and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering." NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, 2010: Speaking with Al-Jazeera,

"[Our effort] has to start major efforts to delegitimize ISIS’s claim to some religious foundation for what it’s doing and begin to put real Islam out there and draw lines throughout the region." Secretary of State John Kerry, 2014:

“The sweetest sound I know is the Muslim call to prayer” Barack Obama
    "We will encourage more Americans to study in Muslim communities” Barack Obama

1. Credence2 profile image78
      Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, the trouble makers are radicals, they and their violence must be dealt with harshly. They are sects, only

There is no reason to attack Islam generally, a faith that millions of the world's people are affiliated with. I expect my president to avoid petty forms of bigotry and stereotyping. Are there strident and extremist Christian sects out there?

cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Credence
        I do not believe that there was any mention of attacking the whole of Islam. My references, quotes, indicate that Obama has an agenda that will assist in the advancing of a particular religious mind set, that being Islam. Would you care to address that point and avoid making a argument that does not exist.
        To deal with your point of,"-- and their violence must be dealt with harshly--", he is not dealing with it harshly. His response to Isis has been no more than tokenism.
        To your point in comparing the radicals of Islam to those of current Christians, can you point to any news events that would support this? If not than you simply have another invalid point.
        Being an Atheist, I have no value and less respect for theisms, of any description or for secular deities such as a Stalin.

In your first paragraph, you said  that the president refuse to identify ongoing acts of terrorism with Islam. So what is behind it, are you not saying that they are one in the same? The idea that Mr. Obama is somehow promoting or excusing the extremists is just so much nonsense. Is that a fair ly evaluated conclusion to what you are saying?

What do you consider a harsh adequate response by the President, violate the first amendment and put all Americans practicing Islam in jail? That does not sound much like Mr. "All AMERICAN to me. Sounds like 100 percent right wing.

I did not say that Christian sects have risen to the outrage found in Islam extremists. But there are plenty that don't adhere to "Christian principles"' having agendas that promote anything but. That is evident to anyone with a head on his or her shoulders, atheist or not.

Credence
            You seem to be of the same mind as Neville Chamberlaind. Good luck with that.

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
          Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I hope you will not mind one more point before I go.

I was surprised by this statement from you because so many examples are available online. I gather you never looked for them. The Klu Klux Klan, for one, remains to this day the epitome of America’s Christian Terrorist groups.

In addition, the Army of God (AOG) is a Christian terrorist organization that sanctions the use of force to combat abortion in the United States. A branch of the Army of God admitted responsibility when Michael Bray and two others planted bombs at seven abortion clinics in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C.. The group also claimed responsibility for Eric Robert Rudolph's nail bombing of abortion clinics in Atlanta and Birmingham. Mr. Rudolph, as you probably know, is now serving life without parole for a long list of terrorist attacks committed in the name of Christianity, most notable, Atlanta’s Centennial Olympic Park bombing in 1996 that resulted in two people dead and 111 injured.
          {1}{2}{3}

Thank you for your patience. Hope you had a very pleasant evening.
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
          {1} "Terrorist Organization Profile: Army of God". National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism.
          {2} "3 Men Charged in Bombings Of Seven Abortion Facilities". The New York Times. January 20, 1985.
          {3} "Army of God letters claim responsibility for clinic bombing". CNN. February 2, 1998.

Quilligrapher
            How do these  organization, as heinous as they are, compare with the international threat of Islamic Terrorism?

1. Quilligrapher profile image72

Islamic terrorists are similar to Christian and Jewish terrorists. They are all individuals, secular extremists acting alone or in tandem, who justify violence and murder by professing it is the will of their gods. All terrorists display a depraved indifference to life.

Your analogy is akin to comparing the number one with the number one million and reaching the conclusion that because both are numbers they are the same, of the same value and with the same impact.

Cj, it is not often that I take issue with Obama. But there was A recent article where the president chided his European allies to do a better job assimilating Muslims.

I certainly do not believe that assimilating Muslims is the problem. The terrorist create an atmosphere of fear subverting democratic institutions and inhibiting freedom of speech and expression by all.

This is the wrong thing said at the wrong time to our grieving European friends.Muslims are not to be discriminated against, but I don,t want them coddled either. Their intolerance can be no more assimilated than that of anyone else. .

"Neville Chamberlain"?  I think that your comparison of him to me is a biT strong.

Credence
                    I have enclosed a Pew research poll that provides information  about those Muslims (% wise) from around the world that are not interested in assimilation, but the establishment of Sharia Law. A similar poll was conducted recently in America with interesting results. Easily researched.
                    http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the- … -overview/
                    By the way democracy is not freedom and with reference to Chamberlain, I hope it was a bit strong.

2. rhamson profile image71
        rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+100000000

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What an excellent idea.

In other words, marshall the ire of billions of sensible Muslims against the minority of extremists. Sounds smart to me.

I found it rather annoying when I was in the middle east , especially in the morning, but it does have a ghostly, ethereal feel to it which I guess some people like. No accounting for taste.

Actual personal interaction between people is one of the best ways to foster understanding. The realisation that someone is preoccupied with making a living, keeping their kids safe, enjoying whatever spare moments they have to relax etc. just like you, makes the differences seem smaller and much less significant. The same is true in the other direction. Again, seems like a good idea to me.

Not really.

3. Quilligrapher profile image72

Greetings, CJ. Hope all is well with you these days.

I thank you for providing five quotes to support your claim. Each of these quotes contains a message of tolerance. Not one, however, supports your rhetorical inference that the President supports Islam over our Constitution. That interpretation is not remotely implied in any of your examples.

Actually, the President’s agenda is clear. He has consistently urged Americans, and the world, not to allow acts of terrorism by a small number of radical extremists to result in widespread intolerance of the Islamic faith and billions of non-violent, law-abiding Muslims.

Quilligrapher
        I am fine. Have we had a  previous conversation?
        If one of us can be right, I hope that it is you.

4. rhamson profile image71

I am still trying to find the negative connotation about Islam and wanting to explore ways of better understanding it as you describe in your post. Are we to group the terrorists in with these statements? The terrorists ties to the Islamic religion are for personal gain and assimilation of recruits. They espouse some phrases of the Koran and ignore others that counter their actions. The best you might be able say about the terrorists is that they are hypocrites in their teachings and beliefs. Your post only furthers and agenda of hating Obama and tying terrorists to him. Believe me there are many other things about Obama to criticize that are no where near the stretch you make here.

rhamson
        I have noticed that there are two types of people who like to use the word hate. There are the theists and those who those who really do not have an argument.
        As I told Quilligrapher, I would prefer your sentiment correct and mine wrong.

rhamson
          A further note reprinted from Claudio Di Gregorio, Je suis Charlie. Lawyer on Quora
          I find extraordinary the nerve of Muslims who, in spite of all the violence we witness every day in the Middle East, in Europe and elsewhere, imperturbably tell us - kuffar (unbelievers) - that within Islam there is no command to kill Christians, Jews or apostates.
          Like so many Christians who never read the Bible, perhaps they say this because they have never read the Quran or the Hadith (sayings and acts of Muhammad as compiled by his followers), so I suppose a little reminder would be appropriate:
          Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And al-fitnah (temptation, trial, sedition, civil strife) is worse than killing...
          Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority". ("To join companions" means to believe in the Trinity.)
          Quran 3:56 states that "those who reject faith" will be "punished with terrible agony in this world."
          Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" 
          Quran (8:39) - "And fight with them until there is no more fitna and religion should be only for Allah"
          Quran 8:67. "It is not for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war (and free them with ransom) until he had made a great slaughter (among his enemies) in the land".
          Quran (9:5) - "So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captive and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them."
          Quran (9:73) - "O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the hypocrites and be unyielding to them; and their abode is hell, and evil is the destination."
          Quran (25:52) - "Therefore listen not to the Unbelievers, but strive against them with the utmost strenuousness..."
          Quran (61:4) - "Surely Allah loves those who fight in His way"
          HADITH:
          Bukhari (52:177) - Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established until you fight with the Jews, and the stone behind which a Jew will be hiding will say. "O Muslim! There is a Jew hiding behind me, so kill him."
          Bukhari (52:256) - The Prophet... was asked whether it was permissible to attack the pagan warriors at night with the probability of exposing their women and children to danger. The Prophet replied, "They (i.e. women and children) are from them (i.e. pagans)."   
          Tabari 7:97 The morning after the murder of Ashraf, the Prophet declared, "Kill any Jew who falls under your power."
          Tabari 9:69 "Killing Unbelievers is a small matter to us" The words of Muhammad, prophet of Islam.
          Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 992: - "Fight everyone in the way of Allah and kill those who disbelieve in Allah."

Furthermore: the punishment for apostasy (abandoning Islam) is death, as it appears in holy texts (Sahih al-Bukhari 69:22: "Allah's Messenger said, "If anyone changed his Islamic religion, then kill him." -see also Bukhari 52:260) and it has been recognized publicly by imams even today, so if the preceding verses were not clear enough, rest assured that when the Christian or Jew is a former Muslim, then killing him/her is clearly a duty for all loyal Muslims, just because this person abandoned Islam.

These killing commands are not followed solely by gangs of crazy extremists in deserts. They are being applied today by Sharia (religious) courts. A nice example:
          Meriam Yehya Ibrahim Ishag is a Sudanese woman. Her father is a Muslim, her mother is an Orthodox Christian, which according to Islamic jurisprudence, made Ishag Muslim. However, as Ishag's father was not present for Ishag's childhood, Ishag was raised as an Orthodox Christian.
          Ishag married a Christian man from South Sudan in 2013. This was enough to get her charged with adultery, because according to the Sudanese interpretation of sharia law, marriages between Muslim women and non-Muslim men are not valid. Again, Ishag does not consider herself a Muslim, and it does not appear that she ever practiced Islam. This does not matter in the Sudanese court system.
          During the adultery trial, Ishag declared herself to be a Christian. This got her charged with apostasy, which carries a death sentence in Sudan. She was found guilty on both counts, and sentenced to death. The execution was scheduled to take place two years later, as she was pregnant at the time. Luckily for her, international pressure managed to get her expelled to Italy, not before her own family tried twice to secure she would be executed. Unluckily, due to teh harsh conditions of her imprisonment, her child was born with disabilities.
          Ibn Kathir (1302 CE, Islam's greatest commentator on the Quran) says: "Therefore all people of the world should be called to Islam. If anyone of them refuses to do so, or refuses to pay the Jizyah, they should be fought till they are killed." and also: "Fighting the Jews and Christians is legislated because they are idolaters and disbelievers.”

(Another nice reason for killing is blasphemy. Yosuf Islam, formerly Cat Stevens, endorsed thus Khomeini's fatwa against Salman Rushdie:  "Under Islamic Law, the ruling regarding blasphemy is quite clear; the person found guilty of it must be put to death".)

Psychology could easily explain all these killings, as the Quran teaches that infidels are pigs, dogs, unclean, folk without intelligence, the worst of creatures, etc. Christians are disbelievers (98:5-6) and blasphemers (5:17, 5:73) who have invented a lie (10:68-69) by ascribing partners to Allah (ie. the Trinity).  Inventing a lie about Allah is the worst of sins (7:37, 29:68) and for this reason Christians are condemned to Hell (10:70).   Jews are wicked (4:160-162); so wicked, in fact, that they have somehow managed to do the impossible (18:27) and alter the word of Allah (2:75).  Jews are “fond of lies” and “devour the forbidden” (5:42). Ayatollah Khomeini, who dedicated his life to studying Islam, said that non-Muslims rank somewhere between "feces" and the "sweat of a camel that has consumed impure food." In number of pages dedicated to Jews, the Quran is more antisemitic than Mein Kampf and, in proportion, is twice as violent as the Bible. For example, infidels are promised (or threatened with) Hell, Fire (as in hell) and Doom 359 times in the Quran, which also includes almost 500 favorable references to violence.

Consequences are evident. When you think in this deprecatory manner about others, and when Jihad (holy war) is a duty predicated not only in the holy books but by contemporary imams, scholars and teachers, killing infidels is nothing in your mind.

So the answer to the question is yes, there are plenty of justification within ancient and contemporary doctrinal Islam for the killing of Christians, Jews and apostates.

Note: After this comment we should expect Muslims' weirdest rationalizations, twisted explanations and accusations that I am putting things "out of context". I'm ready.

5. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One can't help but ask one of my favorite questions, especially surrounding the tougher subjects, and that is, "what would explain that?"  Does anything literally explain, all the examples you give?  Each person has to answer, and not wanting to assume here.

6. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wonder how much it costs (including salary) for some kind of Public Relations campaign involving a Government Employee regarding the presenting of a Religion in its best light,(assuming the best)  according to them?

7. rhamson profile image71

Of the quotes you offer I only read that Obama wishes to direct efforts for inclusion and tolerance with Muslim counterparts. You just wish to mish mash it altogether with radical inferences.

8. Uberdriver profile image57
      Uberdriverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In my humble opinion, this is the sort of spinning one experts to listen to on ultra-right wing talk show radio channels – Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage etc. Obama has done a lot to fight terrorism including the killing of Osama Bin Laden and the systematic elimination of terrorist leaders throughout the Middle East and Africa using drones and special forces. But when you have 1.6 Billion Muslims in the world, describing terrorism perpetrated by radical Muslims as “Islamic terrorism” is something you would expect from the most careless of leaders. Even George W. Bush was at pains trying to explain that America was not at war with Islam but only with terrorism. Will the use of the “Islamic terrorism” guaranteed?
      By the way, if you try to have an open mind, you will find out that Obama has been as protective of the Jewish and Christian faiths as he been of Islam. Protect the religious rights of all Americans is a responsible thing to do.

2. profile image0
    promisemposted 9 years ago

Every president should advance every religion in America. That is what they are supposed to do to protect freedom of religion according to the Constitution.

And any president should support Islam as a whole in this country when it is under assault by extremists who blame it for the actions of a radical few.

Those same few seem to forget the millions who have died over the centuries at the hands of Christian extremists, some of whom slaughtered Muslims during the Holy Wars.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Obama is clearly not prejudiced against any religion.

I think that is a good thing.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Obama would not say something like " you are not even Christian".

This is also a very very good thing--because he is President to all of us, not just those he shares a religious faith with.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)