Curiosity killed the Cat!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (26 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image94
    sallybeaposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12610400_f520.jpg
    A large number of Hubbers would have backed up their Hubs on Sunday, this in response to a forum discussion which was had about the possible demise of HubPages. What effect would this unusual amount of activity have on  HubPages Stats and earnings, if any?

1. tirelesstraveler profile image61
      tirelesstravelerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Could you enlighten me with a few details.

2. georgialgal1984 profile image81
      georgialgal1984posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think that it is good to have a copies of your work, but I am seeing where people are speculating a lot and adding their own opinions to what they "believe" the site will do. No point in getting worried and concerned about something that could be nothing. Hope you have a great day~ smile

3. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wrong.

sallybea, you disappoint me.

sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am not worried or concerned, I am merely asking what the effect would be on not only our stats but also those on google especially if everyone who writes here visited each and every hub of theirs and made a copy of them that day?

1. paradigm search profile image54
          paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I checked your profile, apparently you are sane. Are you serious?

Perfectly sane and I am rather glad I was fired up enough to save all my Hubs. As I understand it our visits are counted but they would be even if one was editing hubs.  As far as I am aware we don't get paid for our own visits!

2. georgialgal1984 profile image81
          georgialgal1984posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe you are worried or concerned if you took it that way, I am speaking of the many posts I have seen lately on this and how many were assuming things that we have no idea will come to pass. If all of the copying and visiting helps our Google stats increase that would be great! smile Take care and may you have a wonderful day~ smile

2. sallybea profile image94

Why?

4. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Writers should probably back up their writing no matter where it's published. It probably wouldn't have any effect other than a bunch of people will have back-ups of their writing. That's a good thing.

The point is moot, anyway. Large numbers of hubbers aren't going to go and back up their writing all at once. A handful may, but the rest will likely just do it more slowly if they remember to do it at all.

Perhaps I was a little naive because I always believed our own views were not counted.  It was certainly the kick I needed up the jumper to do something about backing up my Hubs.  I never once figured that editing Hubs might have the same effect but on a more reduced scale.

5. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sallybea,  I don't think anybody minded it or taken serious to have backed up everything on a single day. There is no such sky bursting situation here. Everything seems normal and positive, except that earnings might be dwindling. Let's keep hope for a better tomorrow.

smile With a holiday looming I wanted to get it done in one day, just in case I came back to nothing.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
          Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can understand it. But, I wanted to cheer up your moods here.

Definitely cheered, thanks, Venkatachari M - what could be better than a holiday and a pile of backed up Hubs.

2. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

My expanded response has disappeared; not the first time. I'm letting this one go.

3. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

I've always saved all my Hubs, just in case. It's the smart thing to do with any data these days! Especially stuff you've spend thousands of hours on..

I started off that way but this time I intend to have that back-up updated as I write new Hub.  Don't want to find myself in that situation again.

4. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 8 years ago

What's the best way to copy and save our hubs Sallybea?

I opened my hub, right clicked it and saved it as save as web page with .html at the end and put it to drop box.  I have only just started using drop box and I  like the fact that I can now access the files from either my phone, laptop or tablet from anywhere, especially useful if I am away on holiday for instance.

2. Sue Adams profile image94
      Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I use "HTTrack Website Copier", a free program that downloads a webpage or an entire website/subdomain onto your hard drive. I don't believe that this procedure affects stats at all.

Thanks Sue, I will check it out.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

The large majority of mine are "automatically" backed up, because I write them first in MS Word, and then copy/paste into the Hub capsules. So I already have the articles resident in my computer.

As for the pictures, I keep a separate folder for the accompanying photos as well, in the case of public domain pix I have used.  The others?  Some I have taken specifically for the hubs, and those are in the same folder, and appropriately labeled; others I've taken that may 'fit', I just pulled at random from the "My Pictures" folder, and I might have a problem re-finding them..but it's a minor matter.  The real work is in the writing.

When I first started here, I did write directly into the capsules, but I don't even remember which hubs those were at this point, and there are not very many, so I'm not going to worry about trying to figure it out, since I've changed titles a few times anyway.  At this point, I have more urgent and important matters to deal with at home than the possible loss of a very few articles.

So I'm not worried about doing "backups."  What I am overdue for, though, is a backup of my computer onto my external hard drive.  That I do need to do ASAP.

I have just backed up my files to an external drive too as I am thinking that I may do a clean install of Windows 10 rather than an update.  It is sitting there waiting until I am certain that some of the issues with the software have been dealt with.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My husband, who used to work in the computer field, looked into getting Win 10 installed on my computer, since it is free.
        However, I'm running XP Pro, and there is no direct upgrade to 10 from there.  I would first have to get Win 7, (which costs $50 we don't have), and install that first, and then I could get the free Win 10.
        I don't think it's worth spending $50 on a program that would only be installed for a few minutes in order to get a free next version.
        I guess I'll just bumble along with what I have, and try to save some pennies here and there towards an eventual new computer....

6. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Hi Sally,

Last year I copied and pasted all of my hubs into Word straight from HubPages.  I just highlighted each hub and copied it and pasted it right into a Word document and every little things up came perfectly and in order, including photos and images, which I did not think would do right.  However, I write my hubs in Word anyway and then paste it into the different capsules in a Hub.  However, the initial Word document looks nothing like the Hub by the time I put all the work into adding interesting quotes, and other tidbits and making the arrangement of the Hub precisely how I want it in its final stage with videos, polls, photos, etc. 

It is really quick and easy just to copy and paste the Hub into a Word document when the Hub is all done.  Then you can name it your final title too.  I will have to finish up the rest.  I think it is always just a wise practice to make sure you have your work copied or backed up just in case come what may.

I am not too concerned about HP dissolving at the moment, and did not take alarm to any forums.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)