Decent Boost in Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (102 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Not a staggering increase, around twenty percent, but very welcome,.

Seems to be across the board, from my best pages to the also-rans.

This is what I need for Xmas.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

....and the Alexa traffic rank has been steadily improving since it bottomed out a few weeks ago. Things are looking up! http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12724657_f248.jpg

1. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're much better off looking at hubpages traffic stats on Quantcast. They're directly measured there, rather than guessed.

1. eugbug profile image96
          eugbugposted 8 years agoin reply to this

By my reckoning, Quantcast shows almost a 15% increase in mid-week traffic since September. (Sorry about image size. Pixel size of images seems to be reduced after uploading)

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12724721_f248.jpg

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 8 years ago

Been seeing the normal and some boosts, depending on the HP account. Nothing really negative. To me, things seem to be looking up.

3. Will Apse profile image89

I've been updating pages. If no one else is seeing a big jump, I will put it down to that.

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

One of my Hubs that was edited recently ended up with a significant boost in traffic. So, looks like editing has a good effect on traffic.

4. Will Apse profile image89

This is what it looks like in analytics (hourly traffic view). Something is going on.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12724474_f520.jpg

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12724474_f520.jpg

5. Will Apse profile image89

Someone should ask if graphic depictions of violence against women have a place in these forums...

But anyway, my traffic increase is about 40 percent now, so I am delighted.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine is up by about 25% without doing anything. Because of some of the topics, it goes up this time of year. The upswing was too quick though. Maybe changing from sub-domains has helped???

Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it was the subs change, maybe it was editbot, maybe Google's new RankBrain decided to favor us, maybe it was an algo we have never even heard of...

Whatever it was, I would like it to last.

1. Solaras profile image96
            Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No kidding - I am up 80% on HP. But I have grown leery of feeling optimism regarding Google Algos etc...

Now I am jealous, lol.

6. Will Apse profile image89

A woman speaks out of turn and gets her brains blown out. The guy is delighted that there is 'one less'. Hmm.

You are lucky the mods here focus on name calling and lack the judgement to recognize genuinely offensive material.

This might be one for twitter.

1. DasEngel profile image61
        DasEngelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What are your views on spam, etc?

7. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 8 years ago

Whoa! I'm seeing the same thing, Will. I hope it's real. Not often I see a spike like this. Fingers crossed that it continues. smile

We have seen many false dawns. But good to hear someone else is getting a boost.

8. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 8 years ago

My is up also.

9. NateB11 profile image89

The traffic boost might have to do with Google's last algorithm update; I recall someone from Google saying the effects of it would occur slowly over time. It's been a couple months since the update, maybe it's finally having an effect, and a good effect.

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
      PaulGoodman67posted 8 years ago

Yes, nice little boost!  (Probably holding a meeting now at Google HQ as to how they can stamp the site down again!  Sorry to sound cynical!  lol)

My only concern was tampering with the site so close to the busy xmas period, but if it works out, I will be pleased!  smile

I must admit, I was worried about mixing with the riff-raff but no harm has has come of it, so far.

It will be interesting to see what this means site-wide as it works through on Quantcast.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
          PaulGoodman67posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I did like the discipline imposed by subdomains, once I got used to it.  If you allowed your site to get too crassly commercial or low quality, you were punished.  Now we are once again reliant on HP to stop the crap through auto rules and minimal direct human monitoring - hard to keep tabs on so many users and hubs, though.

HP is up to 85 in the Quantcast Top 100, it slipped out of the top 100 altogether a few months back!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
            lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's true Paul, but the reason for this move was the fact that our subdomains were no more being considered as such. They were all standing on their own, but at the same time the drawbacks of some subdomains was harming the rest.

2. Will Apse profile image89

This is certainly the weakness of the recent move. If HP regains authority and starts to rank well, there will be a flood of affiliate marketers returning to the site, who have nothing to offer besides spam and no concerns about avoiding Panda on a sub they are responsible for.

I am not averse to making money through highly commercial pages but I am willing to contribute useful stuff (and enjoy doing it).

My old thing about fifty per cent of pages being affiliate-ad free is one option. Tightening up on QAP is another.

I reckon HP are desperate for new pages, though, and if the supply was choked off by overly rigorous control it might threaten the site.

Dilemmas on top of dilemmas!

I am returning to the pleasures of my traffic boost.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's far too soon too tell.  I grow weary constantly encountering people here who clearly do not care about the welfare of this site or the writers within it.  Personally, I preferred the subdomains, but it did not appear they were protecting us from these types of people. I think the team is really tightening up in an attempt to rid us of "the riff raff" and just love hearing the complaints by people who clearly are blatantly violating the TOS.  They threaten to leave, and I say "good riddance".  We need to get back to being a quality site full of people who are interested in producing good content, avoiding spam and making a buck, too.

Couldn't agree more.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
              PaulGoodman67posted 8 years agoin reply to this

A downside for me is that I broke up my original account into numerous subdomains (on the don't put all your eggs in one basket principle) and then created a few more accounts as experiments, on top of that my two Squidoo accounts were then migrated over to HP...  So now I have 11 accounts that I have to sign into individually to check up on them and edit, and with the subdomains gone, the set up doesn't really serve any purpose anymore.  I probably have to rationalise now and amalgamate at least a few of them, maybe bite the bullet and do some deleting too.  More fookin work.

I had more accounts once. Probably still do. But I forget where they are...

I'm sure they all got Panda-ed.

I will try and remember, lol.

11. makingamark profile image70
      makingamarkposted 8 years ago

My traffic appears to be up marginally according to HubPages - but not across the board.

Google Analytics however think otherwise - my profile is pretty flat.

Percentage increases can look huge when hubs getting little traffic get more e.g. a hub which has consistently got one visitor a day gets two visitors looks like a 100% increase in traffic - which is why the 'y axis' numbers really matter when it comes to interpretation of trends

Of course it also depends on whether it is real traffic (you can get spikes for all sorts of reasons) - and so far as HubPages's business model is concerned whether it is:
      * traffic recognised by Google
      * which then converts to an increased income stream
      * is capable of being maintained over time - every new URL gets a little surge in traffic when it appears. Whether it continues to enjoy it is another matter!

Time will tell.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  Improvement but slightly unsure about figures.  There was a jump when Squidoo came on board - some people ran around whooping - and then... not so good.

Too early to tell.

2. Solaras profile image96

The spike I have experienced on HP is there in Google Analytics as well. That is comforting.  I am still waiting to see how earnings were affected on Sunday.

12. Happymommy2520 profile image83
      Happymommy2520posted 8 years ago

I agree. I have seen some steady improvement as well.

13. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

Let's keep to the original posting, shall we?
      My traffic has increased about 8%

14. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

My traffic has increased 10% or so on already published hubs but a new hub that I'm in the process of finishing has already had 33 visits - unprecedented - and that one isn't yet published. Could it be a glitch?

Ooo, does sound like a glitch. Except, as Solaras said, I also saw the increase on my Google Analytics account. Though traffic has dropped off a bit today; though I think that's a normal fluctuation.

Ten percent is a healthy result.

As to your new hub, I would check your referrers (in stats). Might be MTurk (though 30 sounds a bit excessive).

15. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 8 years ago

Fingers crossed that the changes have had a positive effect on traffic - I have seen a steady rise in traffic for the last few days and I am now back to where I was before the last dip that I saw.. So about 30% up.. Just hope that things stay that way...

16. rainsanmartin profile image85
      rainsanmartinposted 8 years ago

Yes, big increase here too.

17. Will Apse profile image89

The sad thing is that Quantcast shows absolutely no improvement in traffic. This may change but right now it looks as if there are winners and losers amongst the writers but no progress for the site.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have never "bought" Janderson's theory that somehow, Google has set a quota for HubPages traffic and we all go up and down within than quota - now you've got me worried!

Paul Edmondson once said it was possible that HP was constrained by its link juice. More link juice more rank, static link juice, static traffic.

Who knows?

Paul Edmondson once said it was possible that HP was constrained by its link juice. More link juice, more rank, more traffic, static link juice, static traffic.

Who knows? Sounds a bit mechanistic to me.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The actual quote was "drowning in ass gravy" but it means much the same thing.

I think link gravy covers the whole thing.

3. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you could say that, but then again plenty of hubs are gone unfeatured due to the new amazon rule. That's probably a lot of the hubs. Only a few people come to the forums to complain. And some of them were getting good traffic.

Not saying that that's a good sign, but it could be good all across the board, just that the board is become smaller?

That sounds right to me. There was a clean up, so to speak; this would reduce the overall numbers, yet show individual writers as having a traffic increase.

4. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

@Marisa
          Signs of a break out from Quota at the end of September. Standby for a reset - signs that it has already started. Note: Too early to see the impact of sinking of the subs.
          http://www.wotisnew.com/break.jpg

18. NateB11 profile image89

Just discovered another possible reason for the traffic boost: The 301 redirects. Evidently there is an initial traffic boosts with the redirects because two urls can rank for the same query. See Paul Edmonson's Hub here: http://hubpages.com/business/What-Happe … Large-Site

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That might also explain what happened with the Squidoo transfer I guess.

That makes sense, they also had redirects.

Just a few hundreds of thousands....

19. Will Apse profile image89

This is what we were originally led to expect (from HP blog):

'We have done some small scale tests so far.  In our initial test, we saw some pages get removed from the results and stop ranking for a few days to about a week.  After about a week, they returned to their previous rankings and traffic level.'

Now, it is all so much more complex, apparently.

Wait and see...

I entirely agree.  I don't think you can draw any sound conclusions until the new arrangements have been operating for at least a month.

2. Blake Flannery profile image93
        Blake Flanneryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am down about 50% and it's been a slow decline. It has also been more than a week. I did redirects for almost all the pages of one of my own websites and the traffic did eventually come back. The only thing I don't know is whether Google will prefer different hubs than it did in the past as it re-indexes our hubs. I just want you to know that all of you who are getting huge amounts of traffic or whatever may be offset by people like me.
        One other thought... If the initial test was only in the autos category and it took up to one week to see hubs reestablished, then it might take even longer with the larger amount of hubs that were redirected with the entire site move.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

and that, sadly, is the way it has always been.  I'm sorry to hear your views are down because I know that in the past you have done well here.  Been there, and it ain't fun!

1. Blake Flannery profile image93
            Blake Flanneryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not the first time for me to be down. I think 2011 was my best year. I appreciate your thoughts, but I'm still hopeful that my hubs will recover. It's just going to be a little longer, as you've mentioned, than 1 week.

Don't compare anything to 2011. That was a really weird year with a lot of false traffic appearing in people's stats which is why Google started focusing on clearing house soon after.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

Have faith.  A bit more than a year ago, my entire main subdomain lost 90% of its views overnight.  I had no warning or explanations from Google.  I was devastated.

I turned to the forums for help and got plenty of great advice, just about all of which I followed.

Never did find out why this happened (and no, I do not do any of the "no nos"), but today, after a whole lot of revamping, updating, deleting, etc, my views are pretty good again.  Not quite the way they were prior to the crash, but I actually made more money this year than I did the year when things were originally going so well.

So, it can happen, but you may have to do a lot of work to make it happen.

Another writer on here (actually more than one), also took a big hit and never did recover, so it's hard to know.

Anyhow, I hope you're able to get back on track.

If you saved those articles that you deleted last year, you can upload them again now.  You no longer have a subdomain - the articles are residing with the other articles in the same category. So no need to have a niche anymore. 

Could be the best year for you ever lol!

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
                  DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is assuming that Google can not tell the difference between HP authors. If that advice is correct, a HP author can publish whatever he wants and all the articles will be ranked the same. I am not sure this is the case, despite what I have heard here on the forums.
                  The forums have been wrong before. Be careful.

Why would you say that?

Articles on a website are never "all ranked the same".  A website is judged by Google on its overall quality and assigned a Panda score. Within the website, each article is then ranked on its individual merits, but then it's weighted by the Panda score - a good score will push it up in the ranks, a bad score will pull it down. 

At one time, Google made a big thing of authorship,but it was an experiment and was dropped in 2014.   Building authority as an author is still worth doing, because you get more traffic indirectly (through people sharing links as your reputation grows), but it's not a direct factor in ranking:

http://searchengineland.com/authorship- … hip-217209

Since no one who posts on here actually knows, including HP staff, it was my impression that the opinions viewed on these forums are just opinions based on personal experience.
                      My opinion, based on traffic, is that niches matter a lot. Do you think that they do not? Okay, follow the gurus on the websites (many of which are outdated or just guesses). But, if you give that advice to others that are following the niches and doing okay, I will give conflicting advice.
                      I cannot state that my advice is more correct than yours, but then again neither can you state that your advice is more correct than mine.

2. janshares profile image93
                  jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Solaras. Explain "So no need to have a niche anymore" because we no longer have subdomains. Do you mean that since all articles are in one place, writing on a particular topic no longer builds authority for the author? Then niches are only good for linking your articles in hope of increasing traffic/readership? Makes sense if that's what you mean.

Makes sense? That seems to be the flavor of the day from the forum gurus. As I mentioned above, after Solaras posted that comment, I would be hesitant to follow it.
                    According to what I have read here, multiple articles no longer build authority and are no longer any good for increasing traffic/readership.

A lot of people never took the niche thing seriously. Given all the interlinking of articles on this site there is no way Google would see an article here as being from a niche site.

Also, of course, Google's authorship project is long dead. 

Quote: 'Authorship markup is no longer supported in web search.'

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a … 3347?hl=en

2. Solaras profile image96

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

I started a second site last December specifically for the purposes of writing on a variety of topics.  I have left my main site as a niche, and I like it that way for many reasons, the main one being that I can link the articles together easily and group them more specifically.

My second site has not done well because I keep experimenting with different topics. So far, nothing has stood out as being an earner or page view winner.

I feel your pain with the second site.  Since the move, my other account has been up and down. One article has lost momentum while another has gained views.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

@Blake -  I doubt it was 2011, or if it was, it was the early part of that year.  That was the year the new Panda algorithm hit, and wiped out over 75% of HubPages' traffic overnight.   My best year was 2010.

20. Will Apse profile image89

It is early days yet but I am seeing a consistent boost in views.

I think it might be a different story for everyone but updating seems to help a lot.

21. Will Apse profile image89

Pretty good advice above on subjects to avoid (unless you are relaying your personal experience as victim, client, patient etc) but I don't see the relevance to niche sites.

I stopped believing the subs were well enough insulated for Google to consider them standalones a very long time ago. If they were not standalones, niche meant nothing.

Exactly.    When they were first introduced and for a long time after, the sub-domains WERE insulated from each other to some extent - that was what enabled good writers to get their articles ranked well, because they were not dragged down by the poor Panda scores of other sub-domains.

However for some peculiar reason - perhaps because of the inter-linking across topics - I never saw any evidence that a niche sub-domain did any better, on average, than a varied sub-domain.    I never understood why that should be, considering that a blog MUST specialise or die.

When traffic started to drop again, some people thought focussing on a niche would make a difference - not because anyone had proved it to be so, but because it works for blogs.

When Google suddenly stopped recognising the sub-domains as separate entities (was that 2014?  I can't recall), the whole idea of a niche became irrelevant, IMO.  Now that the sub-domains are gone, they're certainly irrelevant because Google is not recognising individual Hubber accounts as individual.

I've always wondered why HubPages doesn't set up a side business which makes the templates and structure sitting behind a hub available for a small fee - and then allowed people to set up their own websites (using the HubPages infrastructure) using their own unique domain names. (ie. NOT part of one big site but more like the non-free Wordpress - complete independenve for information sharers + techincal support)

In other words stuff the internal traffic and trying to promote other people's hubs and just do the old proverbial "stick to the knitting" thing and create a template for people to create their own wiki.

That way HubPages gets a guaranteed income and we get a guaranteed template which works

* those who want an ad free writing zone can have one

* those who want to go commercial can do so without moderation. How well it works is entirely down to them

* Plus most of can stop worrying about ad blockers and what impact the new Apple ad blocker will have - because let's face it a website which depends on income from advertising is on very dodgy subsoil.

22. Kimberleyclarke profile image83
      Kimberleyclarkeposted 8 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has commented here. You know the science behind HubPages, and I thank you for sharing! I could never have guessed that gravy was involved. You learn something new every day! Seriously though, congratulations to everyone who has experienced a traffic increase. May the good news continue.

23. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I have been noticing a small increase in views.  Its a positive!

24. Asher143 profile image58
      Asher143posted 8 years ago

There are lots of way to increase traffic to your website, backlinks, blog dofollow comments, forum backlinks etc etc.
      I've been in SEO for over 5 months and therefore, I know lots of things about this field.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
        FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Five whole months? You must be a Jedi Master after all that time....

Lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)