Questions about twitter?

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (60 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

Ok I joined twitter and listed my profile from hubpages for my site but Im not getting any hits alough I have hundreds of people now following me. What am I doing wrong?

1. anjalichugh profile image67
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my case, traffic from Twitter really took quite some time and even when I got page views from Twitter it was nothing in comparison to Stumble Upon and Reditt. Different hubbers have different experiences with social networking sites. Somehow they don't work the same way for everyone. smile

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dang, do you have naked pictures up or something? lol.

kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha no not at all. lol

3. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How did you build your following?

I dont know people just keep following me like every minute. I dont know why..

1. Ambition profile image61
          Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

because you are a beauty

Oh thank you my friend

2. kmackey32 profile image64

Idk I just made my profile and they just came. smile

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
          Julie-Ann Amosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

same here really.  linked the twitter profile url and feed wherever i could on my sites and profiles..

4. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've only been on Twitter personally for a few days, but profiles are not exactly high-traffic areas, from what I can tell.  You're more likely to get traffic from tweeting your hubs... People will notice.  Nobody notices when you add a link to your profile.

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true Maddie.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I concur. big_smile

2. kmackey32 profile image64

When you say tweeting my hubs, is that were you do the updates?

5. BrianFanslau profile image61
      BrianFanslauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is what I do http://Twitter.com/BrianFanslau I put out a ton of content and value items for my base of followers and I only put out things that drive toward my core audience and my target audience as defined by "Core". "Core" being what I believe is my strongest and most desired asset that is unique or I do very well at Skill/Talent (this could be your hubpages link) then drive out content laden with those qualities. This will bring interaction from your followers and will increase Re-Tweets (RT) and also boost your followers that will follow you because their friends RT was a good suggestion to them to join you.

I currently am at 7,332 followers who are following me because of the Niche that I service in Personal Branding and Current Marketing Strategies. It is a small and well defined Niche that people will augment into their broader Twitter feed.

This is only a suggestion for how you could use Twitter with just being yourself and nothing fancy, and by doing so will grow your readership and your traffic.

Sincerely,
                    Brian Fanslau

6. InvestorDesigns profile image58
      InvestorDesignsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest using a following software like http://TwitterPowerline.com

I have about 12,000 Followers now using this.

1. WeddingConsultant profile image67
        WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I would highly recommend you not utilize follower-gathering software. It is frowned upon by twitter, hijacks your profile, exposes your account (followers, email, password...everything) and won't help with niche followers.

No niche followers = no help with hubpages traffic = pointless.

2. RooBee profile image81
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

My experience supports what Maddie says. I have gotten a fair bit of traffic to individual hubs from tweeting about them, but I doubt anybody is clicking on the HP link in my Twitter profile.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Those who have the twitter traffic, does it bring any clicks?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I closed my account.  The "Twitter" crowd was not interested in anything over 140 words.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't go to that extreme. smile There is definitely quite a bit of money there, the question is how to extract them smile

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

140 words! Thats a lot for Twitterers, I thought they wont read anything longer than 140 characters.

2. RooBee profile image81
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For me, a few. I've only just begun using analytics & tracking all that stuff so we'll see how that translates over the long haul, but to give a simple answer: yes.
      I tweet about my hubs and also my Examiner articles. I've picked up a lot of local newsgroups and businesses as followers from the latter.
      The 140 character thing doesn't bother me. It's kind of a challenge. In fact, I follow one gal who runs a group of Tweeters who only Tweet in prose (right now they are doing Haikus). For me, Twitter is not a place where I'm displaying my actual writing but rather directing interested parties to my work, so I don't feel like I need more space. Also, those of you posting links remember to shorten it w/ tinyurl or bit.ly.
      While I'm still figuring it out and have yet to use a hashtag and such things, Twitter has proven to be a great tool for me. Plus, I feel good about posting links because these people have chosen to follow me and want to know what I have been working on.
      I was a skeptic at first, but I really like it now.

3. quicksand profile image81
      quicksandposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I didn't hear you well, you said clicks or chicks? smile

1. janni321 profile image60
        janni321posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol..it brings both

4. WeddingConsultant profile image67
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, I know others have answered you but I thought I'd add my two cents since I have over 500 followers on twitter.

I'd say the success has been limited, but there is a lot of potential there. I rarely tweet my own hubs since I err on the side of caution (vs. spammy). I have no way of tracking how amazon sales originated so there's a big question mark there, and adsense income has been limited, but if I tweeted my hubs more often, I'd do better. Right now I probably tweet hubs 4-8 times a week.

IMO, here are some keys to success:

* Don't be spammy
      * Get significant followers on twitter (duh!)
      * Carve out niche followers (my user id is weddingdude so those who follow have an idea of my interests and tweets)

Oh and here's a tip worth it's weight in gold: if your link in your profile is to hubpages, add your affiliate code to the url. I've gotten two signups from it...it's a no brainer...

p.s. I'd also recommend TweetDeck. It's been clutch in my twitter "strategy" if you would call it that.

5. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65

Mine does.  I do have 3500 followers though... so minimal clicks as a percentage but enough to take me over the 10 for 10 requiremnets for extra pay on a flagship or capstone hub for example!

And some of my topics, eg twitter celebs etc score huge hits from twitter.

Here's the stats on the celebs on twitter hub - only 1.7% page views from twitter.

BUT those same stats in adsense lok like this - twitter shows as one of my top 20 referring sites.  Not sure if this helps anyone but it makes it worthwhile to me.

4. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

I've heard by hearsay that Twitter is great for bringing traffic to your articles, but never experienced those results when I tried it.  In fact, my experience is that I've been deluged by marketers hoping to bring traffic to their own articles. :S 

Admittedly, I didn't actively work on building a Twitter community.  Maybe that would have made a difference.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I get a few hits, not many. Using hashtags will help you get noticed. For example, if you tweet your article about cats put #cats at the end. That way , anyone interested in cats can search that.

1. Ambition profile image61
      Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes its nice way to do this. any symbol like !!!!, @ , *** can work

6. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've had some luck with Twitter, but you really have to do it the right way. I haven't been active for very long on some of the accounts so my numbers are still small, but they're quality and I do get clicks. (On my blogs at least. Haven't used them for HP yet.)

I have four separate Twitter accounts:

- One for personal stuff (which I never ever really use)
    - One for my main business where I tweet URLs to new blog posts or new properties, etc.
    - One just for food-related stuff (CTFoodie)
    - One just for dog-related stuff (MiniDoxie)

I make sure that my Twitter names make it pretty darn obvious what I'll be tweeting so that people that follow me are interested in the same things. Right now, all of my CTFoodie followers are all tweeting about food and recipes. Same with my MiniDoxie account -- only that's obviously about dogs.

When you're just going out there and grabbing for straws, a lot of your tweets that are trying to drive traffic are going to be useless.

Each Twitter account will need a unique email address, but gmail makes that simple as well. And all of those email accounts are filtered into a 'Twitter' folder in Outlook on the off-chance anyone actually emails them! smile

7. Courtney James profile image60
    Courtney Jamesposted 14 years ago

Hey kmackey32,

Twitter is a real miracle if you use it right.

And for four months it was the ONLY source of traffic that I actively sought for my personal blog.

At first it was horrible... I'd get less than 10 visits a day but once you learn a few Twitter "tricks" it gets really easy.

Now I get an average of 120 visits per day and a constant 800 unique visits a month to my blog which isn't crazy but from what I hear from my friends who blog every day and refuse to market themselves tell me it's pretty incredible.

Of course it's only a tiny beginning but you have to start somewhere--right?

Now, I understand that a hub isn't a blog but the same principles apply. I believe I wrote a hub about this a while back which you might find interesting.

Just check out my hubs and let me know if that helps.

Don't give up on Twitter!

Really... give it a chance and you might be amazed.

Courtney James

Ok i will check it out. thats awesome

8. Jellyrug profile image62
    Jellyrugposted 14 years ago

Depends what you use Twitter for.

I use it only for my buds, no stalkers and no strangers and it's real cool.

9. getpaidtopost profile image39
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I found that by following others created page views from twitter, however i am banned from twitter now for following others. They are fools I never did anything but post and make follows. I Had over 3000 followers and they banned me for no reason. The only reason I can think of is my user name was twit4cash I have had no confirmation of this being a problem so just can't understand the ban.

10. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

BTW, when I first started Twitter with my personal account many moons ago, I found that the actual Twitter interface didn't work for me. Probably why I stopped using it for a long time.

I now use TweetDeck which is a FABULOUS program (free download) for tweeting. Check it out.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like TweetDeck. HootSuite is also good if you have multiple accounts.

1. lrohner profile image70
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll be sure to check it out, UW. With Tweetdeck it's super easy to tweet from multiple accounts, but not to read tweets from them. (Not that I really follow the folks I'm following much, but still...) smile

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I don't think twitter is much different to the others. Quite a few hits, not many clicks!

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thanks gals and guy smile

13. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

All of it is so interesting but confusing, I feel like I have to have an account for everything...

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thanks Pete, I appreciate that smile

15. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

If you wish to play safe, it is wise to have links only on 33% of your tweets. That means for every three tweets you make, only one should contain a link. That way you are not spamming the system. Although you will notice that lots of cats on twitter have a link on each and every tweet, I guess it is best to play safe.

16. E. A. Wright profile image73
    E. A. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Where does the 33 percent rule on linking in tweets come from? Is that a guess?

17. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Twitter has just published a guide that gives you a lot of ideas and hints about using Twitter.

http://bit.ly/RFYXW

Cheers, Eric G.

18. carpesomediem profile image60
    carpesomediemposted 14 years ago

The key to using Twitter as a means of promoting hubs, from what I've seen, is three fold:

1) Build a reliable, solid following.  There are many Twitter users who are bots that will follow you depending on what you are tweeting, what your picture looks like and keywords in your short bio.  The more legitimate followers you have, the more reliable they are to click your link and check out your hubs.
    2) Link to every hub you publish with a very, very brief description.  Don't just link to your hub and leave it at that, give your followers a little snippet.
    3) Utilizing hashtags like your life depended on it, this way people looking for specific things in the Twitter universe can find it via searches.  Plus, if people are looking for HubPages-specific content, utilizing #hubpages will help them find your hubs, too.

19. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm still finding it hard to imagine how people get so many followers.  I've had an account for 3 months and have 17 followers.

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thanks Julie, your touch is making it look attractive smile

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65

I do have a niche topic - twitter celebs, but there are others that get good traffic from there - I'm sure!

21. kmackey32 profile image64

Well I have only been on a couple of days and have almost 200 followers already. I dont have many views yet but I took the advice I have read here and maybe it will change..

22. kmackey32 profile image64

Thanks for warning me!

23. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

vedicsoftNJ, you will want to take your link out of your signature...that type of thing is usually flagged for being "spammy".

24. tuah profile image59
    tuahposted 14 years ago

Twitter will create its magic when you integrate with your blog or site rss, moreover link with ping.fm to propagate the message to other channels..

25. PayPerResults SEO profile image61
    PayPerResults SEOposted 14 years ago

Twitter ettiquette:
    To get followers - follow people who will be interested in your hubs. Follow them directly after you have just tweeted about your latest hubpage. Make sure your tweet at least includes the title of your hubpage so that they will know what they are clicking through to on the link. They will most likely follow you back.
    - Think about the time of day that your tartget audience is likely to be on Twitter - make sure you tweet during this time.
    - send all your new followers a nice welcome DM message that reassures them that you will be 'feeding' them with a constant QUALITY supply of what interests them.

I agree with the above - don't use any of these 'get 1 million followers in 5 seconds' gadgets - it always ends in tears!

Hope that helps...

26. Jenny30 profile image60
    Jenny30posted 14 years ago

I find Twitter works but I have 2 accounts. I joined with some really cool affiliate programs that I find are working for me as well. Facebook drives a lot of my traffic but Twitter has really made an impact just the same. It takes time but eventually you will see traffic.
    Check out my link to allsolutions on my profile page and it connects your to a program that can help you make even more money. I use it and it works for me! After you sign up, you can place it in your profile page here at hubpages and advertise it on Twitter. It helped me get more followers! Hope this helps!

Jen.

27. manchito profile image60
    manchitoposted 14 years ago

I get good to excellent traffic from twitter. My whole strategy:

I deliver good content very often, related to my niche(s)... No affiliate links in this tweets.

Every time I publish a new hub/lens/blog entry I tweet about it(And several other seo techniques as well), but the tweet is part of a history, Something like I Found 'X', that made me do 'Y', by getting <link to my hub>. I just do it once after publication, I don't really like to seem like a spammer.

A few seconds after tweeting that I start to get traffic, and the traffic stays and gets better for 3-4 days after that.

I keep an eye in my analytics and once a week I retweet the 2-3 hubs having the less traffic, since I usually have a lot more followers every time I do that, my traffic is steadily and in some cases.. better.

Last but not least, I do this strategy only from the twitter account with targeted followers for that niche (Yes, I have separate twitter accounts one per each niche)

I have made a few hubs with these and some other strategies on twitter, please take a look at them and let me know what you think of them

28. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Hey!  Anybody know how to get rid of a tweet on twitter?  Help?

1. adsensesecrets profile image60
      adsensesecretsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

click on the trash icon

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, thanks!  You saved my life & my PR contact, whew!  Long story...

Thanks again.. (I've only begun using it.)

29. adsensesecrets profile image60
    adsensesecretsposted 14 years ago

I get tons of traffic from twitter. try using hashtags and tweet regularly

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)