Unexpected exposure from tweeting hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (48 posts)
  1. HikeGuy profile image69
    HikeGuyposted 12 years ago

For anyone else looking for ways to get more exposure for hubs -- I was happy to notice on my Twitter @mentions one of my hub update tweets was retweeted by "Earth News," and even better,"The Horror Daily" featured one, with my bio pic, the first graph of the article and a link to my tweet / HP url -- fun free publicity.

I've only recently tweeted them all regularly, so this was a revelation.

1. 2besure profile image83
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on the exposure!  Great job!

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always get a good rise in views and pennies when I tweet from my other site.

Getting lots of followers and Re tweeting also helps. I don't have a lot of followers but they have good lists and we are re tweeting each other's content.

HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Xenonlit -- That's good. My following is growing -- it all seems slow, yet there's progress.

3. jfay2011 profile image61
      jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had lots more people following me on Twitter after I TWEET MY hubs.

2. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Interesting.  I don't have a twitter account and have wondered if it's something that I should look into.  Maybe it's time to open one.  I don't have a personal need for one, it would just be for my hubs so that's why I've been a little hesitant.

Cardelean -- You might give it a try. I always see a boost in traffic when I ping and tweet updated hubs. And now that I'm getting some additional free publicity from it, I'm sold. It only takes a couple minutes to sign up, and posting the hub links is easy. I copy the short hub url from the stats tabs on my hubs and keep them in a file with hatch tags. Makes it easy to copy and paste tweets. I added a video to one today, so I posted the title and "now with such and such video." Pretty small time investment. The hatch tag identifies the topic #nature #health, etc.

1. cardelean profile image87
        cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the additional info.  I think I just may try it.  This latest Panda update has affected me quite a bit so I'm willing to try to get some more exposure in other ways.

2. JenJen0703 profile image82
      JenJen0703posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use Twitter, but the second highest numbers I have had have come from Reddit.

3. cashmere profile image76
    cashmereposted 12 years ago

I tend to tweet my hubs as I publish them, but I have no idea how much traffic they really bring in

4. HikeGuy profile image69

I know what you mean. This is the first time I've been sure people read the tweets. I am getting more followers on Twitter -- like everything, it seems to take time.

5. ubanichijioke profile image74
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

A wonderful news. Enjoy the show!

Ubanichijioke -- Thanks. I got a kick out of the mentions. Now I need to get some more hubs out!

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

How do you know if you have been retweeted.

1. Pcunix profile image86
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Twitter will show you under your "@yourname" tab.

7. viking305 profile image94
    viking305posted 12 years ago

I find Twitter a great source of traffic.  I opened a new account just for my writing a while back.  Then I joined people and organisations that would include the interests I write about and many writing organisations on Twitter too. 

Always use the hash button,# to put your tweet in the correct category as it brings in many readers.  I have only been using Twitter a few months for my writing but many  of my articles have been re tweeted.

On your home page of Twitter there are buttons where you can click to see how many people have re tweeted your tweets and who they are.. 

On the top of our hubs we have the very easy and quick option of tweeting our hubs.  It is there beside the like button for Facebook.  Open a hub, click this button and a Twitter box opens with your title and url, just press send.

The first time you do this you will be asked to sign in but after that it is automatic.  I usually tweet 5 hubs at a time in the same category once a day

1. Teddletonmr profile image70
      Teddletonmrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hash tags, is that the same as keyword? Could you explain how all that works?

8. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

Congratulations! Very cool! I have never been retweeted and I must learn more about Twitter.  Great information for us Hubbers too!

9. mrsolutions profile image60
    mrsolutionsposted 12 years ago

never used twitter...will look into it now..thanks great info

10. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Heh. I started to write one of my long, in-depth posts on the topic, then realized, "Wait, that's something I could write a hub on!"

In short, yes, I use Twitter to share my Hubs and get traffic thereby, but just like anything else, you'll get more out of it if you participate meaningfully instead of only self-promoting. smile

*runs off to work on a hub*

Keep us posted.smile

1. Greekgeek profile image79
        Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Er... am I allowed to post a link here? I am so skittish about being overly promotional. For what it's worth, my usual lengthy tutorial:

How to Get Traffic to Your Hubs with Twitter

Disclaimer: Twitter traffic comes in a burst right when you Tweet, and then dies away. It's not a GREAT way to get traffic, because (unlike SEO) it's manual: you Tweet, and followers click on the link you just Tweeted, and after a day or so your Tweet is buried in people's Twitter stream by more recent Tweets. Also, people only follow your Tweets if they trust you to Tweet good content (interesting, useful, funny, fascinating, etc). But once you've got Twitter set up, it's a very quick and low-maintenance way to keep in touch with online acquaintances, build up your online brand, and track trending and related topics that might be useful to write about. I pick up all kinds of tidbits on Twitter by following bloggers and experts who talk about my interests.

I like Twitter better than Facebook because it tends to be a little less... intimate? People share content and interests on Twitter, but most Twitter users don't Tweet about their personal lives (much). That's a little more in keeping with the kinds of content most article writers are posting. I don't like the way Facebook forces us to mix our personal life with "hey, here's this article I wrote on the top ten digital cameras of 2011".

Thanks for sharing your insights, happy tweeting?

2. Victoria Lynn profile image87
          Victoria Lynnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I try to post some of my hubs on Twitter, but I rarely go there. I get some traffic from there but not a lot, but ya never know. Twitter seems boring. Facebook, to me, is useful in keeping in touch with friends and family, especially those I don't see often. I just don't see the point of being active on Twitter--to see what a bunch of strangers (and some friends) are doing? A lot of it is personal just like facebook--and it's people I don't even often know. I don't get it.
          I have followers and people I follow, but it's boring as heck to follow them!

3. Topnewhottoys profile image60
          Topnewhottoysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well, looks like I'm off to read it, and update or get a new twitter account

Thanks GA

11. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"Twitter is over capacity."

As we speak. smile

1. profile image50
      justplainobservanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Twitter can boost traffic-flow by reverting to 'low bandwidth' displays during busy times!

HASHTAG: #BUSYLOWBANDWIDTHAPPLIES

12. paradigmsearch profile image59

"Something is technically wrong. Thanks for noticing — we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon."

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely pro Twitter. smile

13. paradigmsearch profile image59

Back in business.

14. jenniferrpovey profile image78
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

Twitter's API has been funky all day.

15. HikeGuy profile image69

Good to see all the responses. I'm a Twitter novice. I've tried it before and just wasn't interested. I still won't touch Facebook, and I don't follow anyone who tweets about their breakfast.

Linda -- at "Home" on Twitter, click the Retweet tab -- it's two tabs over from "Timeline."  There's a retweeted by others  option, but the Earth News retweet showed up under the "@Mentions" tab. That's where I found the online publications that featured two of my hubs.

Everyone -- I recommend using WebofTrust, a browser app that gives website ratings. One of the @mentions had a link to a red site -- meaning a bad reputation or possible malware. I have no relationship with web of trust.

Tedltonmr -- hashtags work to identify the topic. Post [Title] [url]and for example: #Hubpages #Writing #Freelancing -- whatever topics. I learned about hashtags from a hubber -- wish I could give him credit. Using them has increased my followers.

Paradigmsearch -- Yeah, I run into those messages, but so far I've always been able to get on in minutes.
    Viking -- I do the same thing -- 5 hubs a day, and only updated ones. I also state "updated" or "video added" to make it clear that it's updated, not tweeting the same content over and over.

Greekgeek -- I know the feeling. I really wanted to post a link to the online papers that picked up my HP stories -- there have been two of them, and it was fun to see my work featured somewhere -- but I figured that would be misconstrued, and the point of my post was that Twitter is giving me some unexpected exposure.

If I understand the rules, we are allowed to post links to relevant articles, and yours is.

Good points about creating a reputation. I like to post two other tweets a day to things that fascinate me -- so the tweets aren't all promotions.

2besure -- Thanks! Part of my motive for sharing progress is to keep my spirits up. This is my third shot at HP. It's difficult for me to stick with it, because everything else I do for money pays out fast. I keep hoping I can turn this into an income stream, but this is glacially slow progress in my universe. I'm going to try doing more with my website and compare progress with HP because my traffic here ... ouch. I'm trying to maintain enthusiasm to stick with it and get more hubs up before the holidays... I pay my bills with my writing, so my HP income so far doesn't excite me.

16. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

Mike: I saw buttons for  timeline, twitter name, activitiy, searches and lists

When I clicked on activity there was a list of a few members with a hit follow button. I don't even see a mentiuons button.

1. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LindaSmith, are you logged into Twitter? @mentions only shows up when you're logged in, I think.

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
        LindaSmith1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Greekgeek: Of course, I was logged in

17. Greekgeek profile image79

Sorry, dumb question. How very odd.

The only other dumb question I can think to ask is "Are you sure you're on the Home tab?" (click "home" at the top of the page).

When I go to my Home Tab, I see:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5678735_f248.jpg

@Mentions is just to the right of the Timeline button.

HMMMMM. Here's a thought. Maybe there's no @Mentions button if no one has @mentioned you yet!

18. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Wow, this is all great information.  I guess I'm going to have to open an account.  Thanks to everyone for all of your information, it was very helpful.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Twitter can be a great source for the right people finding your hubs, if you use hash tags and follow relevant accounts. Retweets and mentions can be very helpful.

@LindaSmith1- when you're signed in to your profile page, look across the top and click on Home, it will bring you to the feed which shows, mentions, retweets, etc.
      Click on retweets and click Your tweets, retweeted.

19. dungeonraider profile image85
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

@Victoria:  Its actually kind of interesting for writers with all the different writing organizations on Twitter that put out writer-oriented info.  Another way of meeting other writers and even publishers.  I follow interesting people on there, famous and otherwise.

20. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I use Twitter it has been a wonderful tool for me. smile

21. profile image0
    ateinposted 12 years ago

Which option is better ?

Tweet each hub manually

OR

Couple your RSS feed to twitter so that every hub you publish gets tweeted automatically ?

22. Greekgeek profile image79

If you Tweet automatically, few people will follow you unless your content consistently blows them away. Why should they? What's in it for them? (And anyway I'm not sure an RSS feed would work in 140 characters or less).

If you Tweet to people as a person, to people, saying interesting things and using interesting titles customized to pack maximum message into 140 characters, you are far more likely to get a response.

Twitter is amazingly useful. I don't want to know about every last detail of people's personal lives. But I've found myself following astronauts, geologists, writers in Japan, and various other people with unique insights who share things I've learned from and been glad to know about.

By following the right people -- people who share the best resources and sites related to the kind of work I do -- I've been able to learn a great deal and improve my own work.

The more I explore Twitter, the more I'm finding in it. I'm beginning to think of it as a tool for building an audience and an efficient way to keep up on my extreme number of interests. By thinking of it as a kind of community building tool and being selective, I'm seeing the potential to find things that enrich my work. One of the publications that featured me in an @mention tweet had a video that was free to use that fit one of my projects. So linking by commonality has many benefits. Another plus is that the traffic on both hubs have picked up a bit since those @mention tweets -- I have no way of knowing if there's a direct relationship, but they were lagging prior to that free exposure, so I'm inclined to think it helped.

Greekgeek -- I enjoyed your hub on Twitter. It was good to learn more about hashtags. I found some hubbers on Twitter after reading your tips.

My main tactic is to preview recent tweets by someone before following. I'm still in culture shock over all the low-content yammering. I'm beginning to understand why there's such a small number of characters allowed per post!

2. profile image0
      ateinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ofcourse I would intersperse autotweets with other non-personal and hopefully useful tweets.
      I guess using feedburner it is possible to tweet RSS feed, but one cannot use hashtags .

23. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Use the #hubpages hash tag when tweeting a hub and in a day or so you'll probably get a backlink or two from one of those twitter aggregate newspapers.

wink

24. cclitgirl profile image91
    cclitgirlposted 12 years ago

Thanks for this!!  Maybe I'll actually sign up for a Twitter acct.  I've held off...I've done everything else: FB, blogs, StumbleUpon, but haven't done Twitter.  I guess I just didn't want to become a Tweeting Bird.  smile

25. gabgirl12 profile image60
    gabgirl12posted 12 years ago

I still don't understand how twitter works. It just looks like a massive instant messenger to me. But I'll definitely keep an eye out for potential views from there. Congrats on your find and unexpected success! And thanks for sharing it too.

1. Pcunix profile image86
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it kind of is that, except that your messages can be seen by anyone if they want to search.

2. melbel profile image92
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. Also, I think there are a bunch of hubs on it. Just search for 'twitter' on hubpages and I'm sure you'll find a good guide. tongue

And hey, don't worry about not understanding how it works. When I first joined Twitter back in 09 and learned the premise of it, I was like "why? why would people find this fun?"

Also, a bit of a funny story, but when my mom (who doesn't have a twitter account) was using twitter to find opinions on the Casey Anthony trial, she was explaining the opinions to my aunt over the phone, "Oh wow! Twitter says..." She didn't understand that it was USERS on twitter saying things...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)