No More Neighborly Concern

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    snapcracklepopposted 7 years ago

Nowadays people can live right next door to someone for years and not even know them personally. Whatever happened to neighborly love, concern and interest if one of our neighbors suffers a setback because of a house fire or are in financial distress due to the economy? Do we know our neighbor enough to comfort them when someone close to them dies or is sick? There are many ways to do that.... I remember many, many years ago, when everyone really helped one another. If there was a need with clothing, food, money, furniture or whatever it took to get one's neighbor and their family back on their feet the assistance from others was there and shown.

Do you think people still have a disposition to help others? Why or why not?

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You should write a hub about it smile

1. profile image0
        snapcracklepopposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi theraggededge, thank you for responding and for your suggestion. I prefer to do or go the forum/discussion route. Creating Hubs can be very time consuming in my case and so this route is perfect for me.

1. theraggededge profile image97
          theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Except this isn't the correct forum. This is where it should be: http://hubpages.com/forum/topical

1. profile image0

Thank you theraggededge for directing me to the proper forum and link. I will check it out and post there. I was thinking "freeform discussion" was an option as well.

2. Glenis Rix profile image96
      Glenis Rixposted 7 years agoin reply to this

People seem to have less time nowadays for looking out for the welfare of neighbours. They live in homes were both partners go out to work - and often commute long distances, so that their home is little more than a place to lay their head on a pillow. But I have noticed that here in the UK when disaster strikes a family people tend to rally round to raise funds either for the family, or for charity.  But, of course, it takes one person to instigate action. One occasion that sticks in my mind is when the daughter of a close friend died as the result of an asthma attack a friend got together six young me to do a sponsored bike ride for Asthma UK. They rode from the tip of the South coast to England to Scotland and raised £12K. Great for Asthma UK, but the fact that so many people demonstrated their love for her daughter was a solace to my friend.

On a personal level, my neighbours and I don't live in each others pockets but we chat on the street or over the garden fence, take in parcels from the delivery man for each other, and very occasionally share a cup of coffee. And recently a neighbour made a door-to-door collection to raise funds to have a defibrillator installed at the end of the road. As I said earlier in this post, someone has to make the first move.

1. profile image0

Glenis Rix, thank you for sharing your thoughts,  and personal experience with your neighbor(s), even though on rare occasions you converse with others. I believe throughout the world there are people who will always step up to the plate to do good by others...There is an old saying: You feed a man a fish dinner, you feed him for the day. You teach this man how to fish you feed him for a lifetime." I and others earthwide do this in a spiritual way by sharing spiritual and scriptural truths from the Bible with our neighbors....People need a real hope for the future, and by giving them a hope about a brighter, happier future, life and it's challenges, uncertainties, and problems become more tolerable (Jeremiah 29:11-14, Revelation 21:4,5).

2. Renata Kell profile image71
    Renata Kellposted 7 years ago

I have found that over the years people have become more and more distant from our neighbors and community. I do remember when you knew all your neighbors and would know who came and went and when to be concerned. I also remember when you could leave your house unlocked and didn't worry about being a victim of robbery rarely entered your mind. The days when you could send your children down the road to a friends house and knew that they would be watched by the neighbors are gone. Today most neighbors couldn't tell you the names of who lived next door or how many people live there .I remember the old saying that it takes a village to raise a child stood true. I find in today world most people would rather complain about the way children are behaving (behind the parents back) rather than offer advice or a lending hand. I believe those days are gone.With so many families having to to have too incomes just to make ends parents rely on daycare's and schools to raise their children and in today's world that might not be a good thing. I believe that the stress levels of people are greater today then back then and neighbors just have too much on their own plates to add the common courtesy of watching out for each other. How many people remember the days when a new neighbor moved in and you actually went over and introduces yourself and maybe even baked a pie or some cookies to make them feel welcome? I do and I miss it. Now when neighbors move in you might not even talk to them ever. What a shame. Our country needs that good old fashion neighborly attitude again. Maybe we could help our own country climb out of the mess were in.

1. profile image0

How beautifully expressed Renata. I could not have said it any better. You have definitely taken me back down memory lane. I truly remember those days.

I was thinking too, that nowadays, sadly, people do not want you saying anything constructive or beneficial to their children. Even school teachers have been threatened with bodily harm if they say anything to "hurt" the child's feelings, like telling the student to "put away his or her cell phone and pay attention" or "stop disrupting the classroom" and things like that. It seems the beautiful saying: "It takes a village to raise a child" is a rare occurrence. The moral climate and atmosphere has changed drastically. Real politeness, considerateness, patience and understanding is lacking for one's neighbor these days. There have been incidences where neighbors have destroyed one another's property. There have been shoot-outs occurring between neighbors who live right next door to each other. How sad and unfortunate. Such real life scenarios are a reality these days. The Bible at 2nd Timothy 3:1-5 and verse 13 is like reading "breaking news" on TV and on the internet. There it outlines all the negative dispositions and characteristics of people that exist today (Romans 1:28-31).

3. profile image49
    c2017hicpicposted 7 years ago

The problems you speak of are evident in many locations around the globe. People have for the most part been preoccupied with themselves. Which is not to say people are only concerned with themselves but is to say the times we exist in are based on self-motivational reasoning.  The individual totally based on self, is ego-centric behavior and is sociopathic, and or psycopathic in nature. I apologize for this straight forward analysis, yet my objective look at the world is from everyone elses observations just look at the world around us.

1. profile image0

Wow! c2017hicpic! I appreciate your straight forward analysis and personal insights to this thread. Thank you. I believe the word for your response concerning lack of neighborly love is: "selfishness" There are some who genuinely care for their neighbors and are willing to go the extra mile to help them when tragedy strikes. Its sad though that many turn a blind eye and deaf ear to the plight of others. I love your comment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)