Choose Keywords to Be Retired

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 6 years ago

I have another quick announcement. We are retiring the option to use keywords in Amazon Capsules. Starting later today, you will have to choose a specific product to display going forward when you add an Amazon Capsule to new articles.

We are offering a 30 day grace period for articles with existing keyword-selected products. We recommend taking a look at those articles and editing your product capsules to ensure that each contains the ASIN or Amazon product URL for the specific item you want to offer for sale. Once the grace period is up, Amazon Capsules will automatically display whatever product is currently showing up from the keyword search. Please let us know if you have any questions!

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What's the purpose of this besides creating even more things we have to go and revamp?

Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We have found that using keywords to display products almost always results in those products not conforming to our current standards for inclusion, which results in them being snipped or the articles being moderated. Basically we don't want to provide authors with options that make articles worse rather than better.

1. Venkatachari M profile image84
          Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think keyword products placed there always lead to Amazon URL products only. Then, how can there be any non-amazon product included there in that capsule?

1. EricDockett profile image97
            EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's not that they are non-Amazon products. It's that they are the wrong products.

Using Amazon capsules correctly means being aware of what product you are offering and why, and then going back and checking periodically to make sure it all still makes sense.

This is hard enough when you are hand-selecting products. With the keyword thing it was way too easy for it to go off the rails.

Good move by HP in my opinion.

I'm wondering if editors and curators have taken this into consideration when moving Hubs to niche sites. Are there many Hubs on niche sites using keywords for their Amazon capsules?

You mean they automatically get changed when you put some other product there.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's not non-Amazon products that they're talking about.  It's products that are unrelated to the topic of the Hub.

2. makingamark profile image69
          makingamarkposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Amazon is completely useless at moderating products attributed to certain categories (i.e. proxy for keywords) and consequently there are all sorts of irrelevant products which can appear using the "suggest" facility.

I've always used very precise products that I know about and Amazon IMO works much better as a result as you know the product is ALWAYS related to the content.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Is there not a way that the team can come up with software that will tell writers which articles have key word ads on them?  In the beginning I used them often, but don't think I have many now.  However, sorting through 115 articles to find the is going to be a lot of work.  How about some help!

Agreed!

3. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This one I'm not going to miss. I've always preferred to pick my own specific products.

1. makingamark profile image69

Agreed - I've never been able to see the point of the automated feed.

2. Azure11 profile image84
    Azure11posted 6 years ago

The problem with this is that if the product you have selected suddenly is no longer available you are left with a blank and there is no way to know that this product is no longer on Amazon (or you just can't buy it any more) unless you go through your hubs at regular intervals to check that all your products are still there.

I agree, this is problematic.  I could see if they want to do this for new hubs going forward, but to do it to all seems like a big hassle.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

But as Christy says, the product that shows at the end of the grace period would be shown permanently on the hub. If you were happy choosing keywords this should not really be a problem since it was the same product that was showing up anyway.

1. Azure11 profile image84
          Azure11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes but that would have the same problem - what if that product was no longer sold. You would still have to go to the hub and check on it periodically.

That's how it's supposed to be if you are suggesting a product. Look at Will's reply above.

1. Azure11 profile image84
              Azure11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on how specific your keyword is and how many products there are for that keyword so maybe it works for some situations and not others. In some cases where there are a lot of products then I would rather put a keyword in in case one specific product becomes unavailable.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76
        CatherineGiordanoposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When a link stops working, even an amazon link, you will get a broken-link notice. You an then fix things in the affected hub.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I never chose an Amazon product by keywords. If I was writing an article about a book review, I would offer an Amazon capsule with that book. Or if I wrote an astrology article about how Venus affects your horoscope, I would use a book which explains more about how Venus affects each astrology sign in the zodiac. Is that still OK?

I seldom use Amazon capsules because it's too much hassle and I never made a payout. Books are mostly related if someone wants more info on my topics, and they don't add up to much money.

I rewrote my bio today. I wonder what I have to change on 155 hubs tomorrow? I think the staff should think through these changes longer before forcing us to keep revisiting the same hubs numerous times. I was told to use callout capsules, or the staff actually added them to many of my hubs. I still haven't taken
          them all off.

I realize the administration is striving for excellence. But because we spend so much time going over and over the same older articles and it's so time consuming, we have no time to write new material. So if you look at any niche, many of the articles on it are 5 or 6 years old. It won't matter if the author writes evergreen, but could hurt the niches as a whole. People want to read about what's happening now.

3. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

It will get rid of absolutely ridiculous products on hubs.

A couple I have seen:

Apple TV on 'Apple Pie Recipe' hubs
    Stuffed pandas on 'What is Google Panda?' type hubs

It was one of the most misused features on the site.

I don't understand how anybody writing about apple pie recipe can put that Apple TV there.

No one put it there. It is what happens with the keyword option of the Amazon capsule. This is one of the small reasons they are being discontinued.

I didn't know this fact that it changes automatically. Now, I should look at all of them.

It does not change if you selected a specific product. It does change if you used a keyword instead.

I went to bed after posting my above comment. So, sorry for being late here to acknowledge your answer.

I generally search the product with keyword and add it if it suits my topic, otherwise not. But, now as per your post, it seems that if the Amazon product goes out of stock, they can put some other product there according to the keyword even if it does not relate to my topic. Is it so?

Yes, that is the case. If you have used keywords and the product becomes unavailable, Amazon will replace it with a different product, sometimes one that is not appropriate, depending on how specific your keywords were.

I am going to check and see what I have done. Thanks for the reply.

2. EricDockett profile image97
            EricDockettposted 6 years agoin reply to this

As Christy said, they will not change if you selected a specific product by ASIN or url. But what can happen is the product will no longer show up if it is not available.

When you use a keyword you aren't selecting a product. Instead of entering the ASIN or url for the product, you enter words you think will display the correct product. If you haven't done this you have nothing to worry about.

The upside is, by using a keyword something will always show up. If one product sells out or is no longer available, something else will take its place.

The downside - which greatly outweighs the upside -  is you can end up with some pretty goofy matches.  As Will said, Apple TV on an apple pie recipe. That's not good.

None of this matters now, since we won't be able to do it anymore anyway. smile

1. tomsmithnow profile image72
              tomsmithnowposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for explaining this forum because I really didn't know what was going on.

2. makingamark profile image69

Agreed - I could never ever see the point of them.

I've always been very specific in my use of products on Amazon. I'd hate to think of things popping up on a hub which I didn't know about.

4. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

This update is one of the only changes that makes a great deal of sense. How can you promote personally a product that you don't even know is going to show up? Specific products are the way to go and always have been!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)