Christians in Action for Service, Love and Peace

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. JonTutor profile image61
    JonTutorposted 14 years ago

My mother's side we're Catholics.... But I'm not proud to be a Catholic.... when I read about Child Abuse.... but I'm proud of these Christians.... who gonna really perform these acts of kindness.... and gonna run shelters for homeless, care for the sick and feed the hungry.... World's gotta be so much better if we had more people who practiced love.... instead of only talking about it..... You gotta read  "Annette Ciketic helps run Beacon House in San Pedro, California, a hostel for men recovering from drink and drug addiction" smile

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8189793.stm

1. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How much charitable work have you done?

JonTutorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very little.... but my point.... organized religion....  Churches not necessary.... even outside Church Charity possible. smile

1. Bibowen profile image87
          Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure, it's possible. There is plenty of charity going on outside churches. Most entertainment stars love to inform you about how they are helping the hungry in Darfur. They've been told that it will be good for their image and so they give out of their abundance.

But from where has most of the charity come historically (and even today)? Another way to put it, Where is a person likely to think he'll get help: at the local atheist chapter or at the local Baptist church?

I'm sure some do charity for PR... others really motivated.... I'm not aware of others internal motivations.... but I'm gonna disagree.... only Churches  help.... and my step dad is atheist.... and he does far more charity then anybody else in my family.... they're all Catholics. smile

1. Bibowen profile image87
              Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no argument with that and at one level, I'm glad people do the right thing, regardless of their motivation. But one of my points is that, historically, charity is more likely to come out of religious motivation, namely the Christian religion.

I think it's possible that unreligious charity could be more abundant, but I don't think the record shows that.

I'm done with this thread--I'm not interested in arguing about "who gives more"; I want to make the historical point. I'm glad people give, no matter what their motivation.

I just hope there're less sick and hungry folks in the world... doesn't matter who does.... as long as it is done.... unless we have reliable statistics... neither of us gonna know for sure... the answer...   from where most Charity comes from. smile

2. quietnessandtrust profile image61
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

a hostel???

Did you mean hotel?

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmm... I hope he did maybe he meant a halfway house for people with addiction and they call them hostel where he is located but then again he does reside in the U.S.A. big_smile

Dude its "hostel".... I didn't write it..... I gave an excerpt from the link. smile

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

THE TRUTH doesn't know what a hostel is

smile smile smile smile

lol

4. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Good link, Jon...very commendable indeed. smile

Thanks Fiery.... please leave now.... before you burn this place.... lol

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha ha hey, notice how Human torch can be on fire and still is able to touch people and all without burning them up. Like for instance, when he's catching a damsel falling from a skyscraper and all. Yeah, I can do that, too. wink

ha ha... You gotta vivid imagination.... please make the next King Kong Movie. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)