Beginning Blogger Link Question

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Cameron Corniuk profile image85
    Cameron Corniukposted 16 years ago

I have relatively simple question.

I was preparing a new blog and wanted to add some links into the main article.  I tried using simple HTML <a href="url>name</a> to add the links, but then the code showed as well.  For editing at home, using NotePad or Word, is there some basic code I can add, so I don't have to manually edit links on blogs?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Well, first of all, are you talking about a blog or a HubPage?   HubPages generally aren't blogs, they're articles.

Now I've finished being picky - if you look at the top of the text capsule, you'll see a "chain" symbol.  Click on that and you'll find you can create a link in the body of your text.

3. Cameron Corniuk profile image85

Well from what I have seen, the term is relatively synonymous, but it's really a matter of semantics.  I mean, if Hubs are all articles, why is there poetry, short stories, etc.?

As for the link icon, I am familiar with it, but that is not what I am looking for.  I'm looking to see if there is some piece of code that can be done right in the article.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You are right, what constitutes a blog has changed since it's original inception.  However, a blog was originally a personal diary-style, stream-of-consciousness type thing. Whereas HubPages are more self-contained.

If you are in the text capsule, typing (or pasting) in your text, then you just highlight the phrase you want to create as a hyperlink, and click the chain icon.  I would read that as "right in the article" so I'm not getting what you mean, sorry.

2. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

HubPages would make for a very clunky blogging platform.

But anyway... you can't copy and paste or type in html code, no matter how basic it is.

You'll have to use the chain icon that Marisa has described. That's the only way to insert links.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That's not quite true.  I believe you can still paste in HTML to a text capsule in IE directly, and in firefox if you use the Edit->Paste from the menu (rather than CTRL-V).  However if the HTML contains any tags that you can't create with the text capsule they will be stripped out either directly when you paste or definitely when you save the capsule.

The html tags that are allowed are: h2, h3, h4, a, pre, b, strong, u, em, sup, sub, ul, ol, li ...

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
          Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Whoa!  That's news to me.  Good info to have, though.

2. darkside profile image62
          darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

But that's not code. It's formatted text.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
            pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Fair enough.  But the point is you can craft your HTML offline and place it into a text capsule if you want.  Doing it that way could be a significant time save for some people.

4. writewanda profile image57
    writewandaposted 16 years ago

I think I know what you mean. Do you wanna link one of your hubs to another one of your hubs? I am soooo lost to most of this so I have literally been playing on the computer all day (and night). If this is what you want to do, you need to go under the hub that you would like to "copy", at the bottom of your hub you will see "link this." You should go to edit at the top of the screen and copy the URL or other address that is already highlighted. Switch to the hub you want to add it to and hit edit. On the side bar you will see "link it" . After you click on this go to the bottom of the screen and type edit under new link and paste that address. You can also test it there. Sorry if I am being so specific but what most of the hubbers are talking about is all Greek to me, I would want it in "MY terms." If this is not what you were talking about.... OPPS!!!!

5. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Actually, a blog still has a particular definition in terms of how the software works.

HubPages isn't one.

It's more like an article directory with bells and whistles.

There are plenty of businesses which have blogs, and the blogs are 100% business, and the posts are very article-like.

There are plenty of stream-of-consciousness Hubs, too.

The difference between articles and blogs is not so much the style of the content, but the way the content is held in the software, and the way people navigate through it.

A blog is conceptually a single entity containing multiple parts in date order. An article is of more lasting interest than an individual blog post, and stands alone.

Bloggers will happily say things like "Last Wednesday I was talking about this issue", whereas an article will quote the source in full, or reference it and summarise, or not mention it at all, so that the article can stand alone and be comprehended as an individual item.

A blog post can be quite short because it is part of something larger, whereas a Hub or an article is expected to be at least 300 words and stand alone.

Jenny

6. Cameron Corniuk profile image85

Thanks all for the help.

While I believe the difference between blog and hub could still be debated, it would need to be someone far more familiar than me.  Inspire really won me over with her post in defining the difference.  This makes me wonder if what I am doing with one of my hubs http://hubpages.com/hub/Creative-Insights is such a bad idea.  It's one I update daily, keep track of my process in writing and blogging (hubbing).

And, I can totally sympathize with Wanda.  This is all such new and strange territory.  We'll get the hang of it, especially with so many helpful people.

Darkside did answer the question, though.  Some systems/tools will allow you to utilize different coding with the article or blog itself to place a link, or at least so I have heard.  This would be great, if there was a way to do it here based on a current experiment I have going, but that's apparently not going to happen.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Your Hubs do, indeed, read like long blog posts.  They're basically you reflecting on your experiences.   That's fine if you just want to be part of the community, reading each other's Hubs and commenting on them, but it's not likely to make you any money.  Hubbers don't usually click on each other's ads! 

You've stated that one of the reasons for being here is to make money and frankly, I think you need to change your direction if you're going to do that on HubPages.

To make money, you need to write self-contained articles on subjects that people are interested in.  Topics people will type into a search engine, searching for information.  You want your Hub to be about something specific, so the Adsense ads will be relevant and readers (who came to your Hub looking for answers) will be more likely to click on them.

Take a look at some experienced Hubbers - Maddie Ruud, Isabella Snow, Mark Knowles, Marye Audet are examples that spring to mind.

It's taken me 5 months to hit the $40 mark because I've just written on subjects I like, rather than taking the time to find hot topics.  However, all of my Hubs are on recognisable topics rather than just personal musings, so they do get search engine traffic.

1. Cameron Corniuk profile image85
        Cameron Corniukposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right, Marisa!  This is something I am currently working on.  I have a few articles almost ready to go, except for finding just the right links/vids/pics to go with them, and figuring out how best to do the layout for these assets.  As you have suggested, I have been visiting others Hubs, mainly those who have been helpful here on the boards, and some I have found who wrote articles I found useful to me.

Such are the stumbling blocks I am running across in my adventures.  But, if I don't learn something new everyday, I might as well not wake up in the morning.  Thanks for the advice.  I hear you loud and clear and will be sure to remember it.

7. Cameron Corniuk profile image85

Well, I can sure put the tags in there, and they work, but they're also visible.

8. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

If you're creating the html in say notepad, try saving the file then opening it in your browser.  Then cut and paste from the rendered view in your browser into the text capsule.  It won't work if when you paste a box pops up that says something about plain text.   That is why you need to (in firefox anyway) use the Edit->Paste from the top menu bar rather than CTRL-V.

9. Cameron Corniuk profile image85

Thanks, Paul.  I'll give that a try.

10. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Cameron, it's worth reading this topic in the forums in its entirety

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/2129

There are a few posts on there from people who are just trying to promote the usual money-making site rubbish, but there's a lot of good stuff from other people, too - very relevant to where you are now!

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

HI Cameron - I second Marisa's suggestion about this thread - and not just because I started it - and  I had to report a fair bit of spam on it to keep it as clean as it is - unfortunately "work from home" is internet speak for big con coming now :-)

One that isn't a con though and I think you would be good at and would have no trouble getting accepted for is Flagship hubs some of the current topics are in your area of interest I think.  It won't make you rich but it will get you into hubpages get you paid reliably the next month - though not enough to live on!

11. RichterScale profile image68
    RichterScaleposted 16 years ago

I tried to follow the advice about clicking the chain button within the text capsule.  I couldn't get it to work.

In my account, the chain button is grayed out, and nothing happens when I click it.  Is that normal?  I'd like to fix that if I could.

Thank you all for you advice and have a good day!

RichterScale

12. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Did you highlight text first before trying to click the chain?

13. larrybass profile image60
    larrybassposted 16 years ago

After reading this thread I am in the same boat as RichterScale. There is no chain thingy at the top of the text box that I want to add a URL link to. How come?

lb

14. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Select the text  you want to link too first - then the chain will become un-greyed out

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)