Why Have A Title?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (100 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

-Why do so many look for a title to classify themselves in? Why does there have to be a title of what someone believes? Why do so many accept having titles?

1. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that...Marine Always...What does it mean to have a title. We are labeled through elementary school-high school- college- then we turn around and work so hard to have a title by our name at the job. Then...in our spare time...we call ourselves by other titles amongst ourselves...WTF? I don't want a title! I want to work hard, get a check, go home, enjoy the family, enjoy the out of doors...enjoy what it is that I cherish and believe...and I want to not be fr-ck-n' labeled...or be put under a gosh-dang title! I am perfectly willing to accept other peoples titles...until they decide they want to blow my _ss away! And I would not mind a reasonable discussion on what I  believe or you believe...or what your particular "title" is... or what flag you're under...just as long as at the end of it...we had some sort of productive understanding...amongst each other.

Otherwise: Who gives a damn about anyone elses title?

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good thoughts you added. Maybe the title thing is to classify and recognize different individuals and to make people feel different from one another. I think that is the problem. Everyone lives by title instead of individualism.

Yeah...and what happens when someone mis-labels someone else...judges someone in the wrong light...and/or thinks they are superior because of their title...That is complete B.S. to me. Deep down in critical points in my life where this has happened to me I want to just go: "Let's go...mano-to-mano...on another open playing field...and see how far that title you have...and/or the label you just gave me...takes you!" That's how I feel right after someone has mis-labeled me...or put their own subjective title to me! (and when they do it to anyone else) yet...even after saying that... I am sure I have probably done the same thing...to alot of other folks!

If we didn't have titles for ourselves and everything about us, we wouldn't have to worry about that. lol

2. robertsloan2 profile image77
      robertsloan2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A title is a hook to draw readers in. It's also the very shortest synopsis there is sometimes -- that's a type of title, the "headline" title can give the main point of your article in a few keywords so that people actively searching for it can find it easily. When I look at new Hubs, I'm not always looking by author.

I'm looking for topic and also for slant. I'm not interested in certain ideas. "A Christian View of Theology" would not interest me because I'm not Christian, but "A Multicultural View of Theology" might get me interested in seeing whether it looked at a wide variety of religions, I enjoy Comparative Religion.

So the title is very useful to an author. It's a hook that can get readers to choose your article over others in the same topic or category. If it expresses your point of view as concisely as the topic then it will draw readers who won't be disappointed.

"Welfare Fraud Burns Me Up" is a very different topic from "Welfare fraud" by itself or "Welfare Fraud is Overestimated."

Something in art instruction, one of my specialties, could be "How to draw a cat" -- and it would be a more effective title if it was "How to draw a manga cat" or "How to draw a Pokemon cat" if that's what it was. I like realistic drawing so I might skip the pokemon or manga articles in favor of the general cat drawing. "How to draw a realistic cat" would definitely get my click.

Titles are all about creating your personal niche. Once a reader likes several of your articles and enjoys your slant and style, they may well become a fan and get an email feed to see more of what they like.

All writers do have a slant. You have ideas about life, the universe and everything from what soap to use to hov the government should be run. Those ideas emerge in your writing, even someone committed to "journalistic objectivity" is expressing a very strong specific slant. Some readers will like it more than others.

Accurate titling is a good way to get and keep your core readers -- the ones who specifically like your ideas and writing style. Online, it also gets sifted for keywords. Coming up with good titles that both contain a lot of keywords and make sense to people is an art in itself, an underappreciated form of poetry.

Those are some good reasons titles are important.

Ah, my fault for not asking a specific question. I agree to the uses of titles in writing or inanimate objects. I am disagreeing to the titles of lives and beliefs.

3. andromida profile image57
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the root reason of your question lies somewhat in the social class system of our society-there is a clear distinction between the high class and low class people.Moreover, every human wants to be unique and wants his work get recognized by others.What is the best way to serve this human nature than giving titles.In fact titles help us to recognize the quality of people.Thanks marin for choosing this excellent topic,now I am thinking of  writing a hub on it.smile

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget  to include me ... I'm Prince Charming big_smile

1. andromida profile image57

Oh sure, you are..smile

2. marinealways24 profile image58

I usually agree with you, but I have to disagree when you say the titles often help us recognize the quality of people. I think titles are mainly misleading for this very reason. If someone has the title of a cop, does this mean they are working for the people looking to help whenever possible? We don't know, all we have is the title. It could be a good cop or it could be a bad cop. Titles equal assumptions most often. We all know where assumptions usually lead. lol

1. andromida profile image57

Well said and very good point ,Marine.If you mean a generic position or rank by title then you are right e.g cop.For example,if there are two man in my city with the same name David, suppose one is very kind-known as "David the kind",whereas the other David is very short tempered by nature who is called by people as "the angry young man".In this case both the titles help us to recognize the specialty of character of each David.I think assumption is the prior event of giving any title.It doesn't necessarily mean that all the assumptions will be right or wrong-because its based on some observational events or incidents in case of human behavior.Nonetheless, assumption give us a clue or hints what is important to us.smile

I agree that assumptions can often give clues or hints that lead to the truth. However, I think they are misleading for the most part. Maybe the "assumptions" is the core of the problem with the "titles". Thanks for adding your thoughts.

4. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I dont accept titles. I'm content with being Fiery!

Good man. I only accept them when I have to.

2. JamesCurtis profile image61
    JamesCurtisposted 14 years ago

Because we communicate with language and need labels to describe things.

You think you are a thing?

3. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Amen again...Marine Always!

Amen to the rebellion of titles! lol

I love titles !! I'm Prince Charming, The Lord of the Rings, and King Midas big_smile

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
          goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya and I am the Queen of Sheba....lol...I'm following you...lol

you too! lol

2. tantrum profile image59

Hi Queen of Sheba!  Welcome to the club!

Is there benefits to this club?

You have your title, what else can you possibly want ? big_smile

oh but I need a king to stand by my side. To stand alone is depressing, but a good king well there is not enough room to tell ya. smile

So it has to be King David ...now, who's that king here in hubpages ? big_smile

2. robertsloan2 profile image77
                robertsloan2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

These are more like taglines and usernamen, they're useful to show a person's ideas and personality. Shorthand little introductions.

I'm that crooked short man in black covered in cat hair, Ari's Human.

2. marinealways24 profile image58

lol you would rebel against the rebellion of titles just to be complicated.

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am an outsider, a writer, and your worse nightmare when mad. lmao Those are my titles...oh and when with my best friend double trouble big_smile

lol all these titles are making me dizzy.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good HAHAHAH get dizzy. lmao just playing with ya marine...or am I? Hmmmm....

You need a proper title ... Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile big_smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OOOO I can handle that one. Thanks tantrum From now On I am Cleopatra hehehe

5. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

If not, where is the fun ??!! big_smile

Can't argue that.

6. marinealways24 profile image58

Thanks Guys and Girls for proving my point of how/why most of us like titles. lol

good point taken, doesn't mean we need to stand in or near a rotten title. big_smile

7. marinealways24 profile image58

I think we use the titles to take us out of reality. lol

I would rather be there, then here, or over there, or dead...lol

What if the "there" keeps us from getting to the "here"? Isn't the goal to get the the "here"?

absolutely! 100% and nothing will stop me from going from here to there, "they" may try to take me down, but I am much smarter then them. Does that sound cocky? Cause I don't mean it to.....lol.

lol I thought you was trying to get to the "here" instead of the "there". I'm confused now.

8. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I think there is little difference between us giving ourselves labels and others labeling us.

We label ourselves to stand out from the crowd. To be identified as being uniquely you. Few want to stand out, but most want to blend in.  Think about here at HP where there are  88000+ hubbers.  Those that want to stand out and show our labels are here in the forums and you see us most days.  How many are here just blending in?

Other's label us too to make us stand out but for completely different motives.  Some want to show just how different we are from them.  Examples here at HP include all the threads that include: favorite hubber, sexiest hubber, craziest hubber, troll, sock puppet, newbie, spammer, etc...

Labels and titles make everything neat and categorized.  It places everything and everyone "inside the box." As we know, the most creative and successful people are those that are "outside the box." smile

Very Well Thought Comment, Thanks for adding that Richard. Gave an excellent and true perspective.

9. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Are we talking aboput sterotypes.. the labels other give us?

Both

10. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I don,t have a title or even ever wanted one, but after reading this thread i think i would like one now,,,,,, to make me feel important

lmao excellent

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahhh Brenda, you are important and an asset to this community...There I just gave you a label smile

11. marinealways24 profile image58

I'm happy being a St. Bernard! lol

12. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

IMHO: I think they can be the same...in many instances. Not all instances...But consider a Pushy Boss at work...what traits and stereo-types...does he or she fit into a set stereotype or then...trait? What about someone who doesn't try hard to work for a living...what  traits and stereotypes does that person fall into? Point being: Maybe you can't have one without the other. Titles> Stereotypes> than just being yourself. (that type of deal...for instance) Maybe...Marine Always...opened up the whole can of worms with this one!

1. Ms Chievous profile image65
      Ms Chievousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have always percieved a title is what we give ourselves.. such as ourt screen names.. they are our titles  because it is what we want ot present to the community.  I have always thought as sterotypes as something society  pushes on us or others..
      Marine always seems to like to open up the can o worms often ;D

I wouldn't want the worms to suffocate. lol

The titles also have bad and false perceptions at times. Mine for instance. I'm sure some probably stereotype me as a person that likes to shoot and kill based on my profile name.

1. Ms Chievous profile image65
          Ms Chievousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always just envisioned you had a short haircut!  big_smile

lol see, the visions of titles.

13. marinealways24 profile image58

Any thoughts on how titles affect politics?

I see all of the bad sides to the titles. Where are the good sides to a title of life and belief?

Oh Hell ya'...Why you going to send two years...talking to everyone imaginable...getting slammed at every point by someone....watching every word you say...making two or three speeches a day...having your entire life investigated...and trying to please as many people as possible? Answer: For a title!

I think titles are like getting locked up. When locked up, you would still have a title, "convict".

Maybe Queen Elizabeth can answer to that ! big_smile

Queen certainly is a royal title to hold for those who wish to live by a title. Or it can be a horrible seperation of lives that are born to royalty compared to those born poor. Depending on which perspective is looked at.

It looks  she's on the good side.  The good perspective of life big_smile  Money and titles

My good perspective of titles....Life without titles. However, I don't think the Queen would agree to being a peasant? lol

I wouldn't either lol

Ahhhh... Everyone wants to be a King or Queen. The land of titles and favoritism. Sounds like a story huh?

14. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

That's the way life is...

...for those who choose to live by titles.

15. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Are names titles marine?

If so, I like mine. It's usually quite useful. It grabs my attention (as a rule) and it identifies me.

It doesn't define me, granted. But it is a rather handy.

And no, I don't mean my hubname. I can't hear that being said wink

I think a name is 1 of the few titles needed.

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah. Jolly good. Like I said, I like mine and would hate to start having to anser to 'oi' or worse smile

lol "oi" huh. Thanks, you listed one of the only positives I have seen to a title which is your name.

16. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

The story of my life ! big_smile Blue blood runs in my vains...and that's not because I'm 'dying' ! lol

1. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why is it because you support manchester city football team

no. Because I'm Prince Charming ! lol

1. profile image0

er what is blue about that..........

blue blood< nobility
            tantrum< prince charming lol

red balls > blue balls lol

lmao Do I really have to explain this one? What did I get myself into?

2. profile image0
  17. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

So, why then, have all of you invented titles like marinealways and manypoetryman next to your avatars?

Because we are an unaware society of titles.

That's got to be the short answer...But also...it was one I chose for me personally after some thought. For a Marine, Rochelle...there are no former Marines...They are a Marine for always...it's a way of life...and deff (as BC always says-I like deff-cause I'm always thinking I'm going to misspell definitely) a Marine tha'ng!

18. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Titles identify who you are but in retrospect my title is Wife,Mother and Nurse just a basic title that is befitting to me. smile

Honerable titles.

19. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Titles have their practical purpose in society; but I think the key is not to allow titles to define us or others beyond that practical purpose.  Someone could have the title, "President of Munchkinland", and everyone will know s/he has the role/job of "president of Munchkinland".  The title tells us nothing about his/her character, intelligence, or anything else.  What too many people do is allow titles to do define themselves or others.

In fact, a title like "World Champ" only tells us someone has become Number 1 among those who actually competed in the competition.  It says nothing about who else was out there and better, but just didn't compete (for any number of different reasons).  The title, "CEO", of a huge company only tells us that one, isolated (and usually temporary), role of a person - nothing else.  People too often assign all kinds of unrelated attributes to those who have on title or another, rather than sort out what that title actually means.

Ahhh, If we didn't have and use so many titles, we wouldn't have all of the assumptions.

20. XTASIS profile image60
    XTASISposted 14 years ago

I'm the Lady of Ecstasy

Works for me! lol

21. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yea I am too ,then I wake up lol

Titles are helpful things to have sometimes, doctor,lawyer, candlestick maker etc.

And for fun.

But abbreviations I hate choosing: Grrrrr...

Mr
    Mrs
    Ms
    Other

Why are some titles more helpful than others? This is favoritism in the assumptions of titles. Because someone is a doctor or lawyer, should their word be favored by their title over others in an instance not related to their study?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  22. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I just learned last night that Queen Elisabeth had bestowed the Knighthood on Teddy Kennedy. That would give him the title of Sir. I thought there was a law against that. No American politician should bear a title like that or IMO should one accept it.

Was looking for your hub about the heart. Which one is it?

23. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I don't know. Did I lose it? LOL Oh, yes, I will be doing that soon. haha, I almost forgot what you meant. Just don't know yet how I will approach it yet. Don't want to be boring about it or too technical. But for you marine, I will do it. thanks

My fault. I thought you had already written it. Get on the ball! lol jk. I will be sure to read when you are done writing it. Thanks.

24. profile image0
    Linda Kabanposted 14 years ago

Talk about synchronicity. I just joined HubPages 4 days ago and my very first Hub was about what we call ourselves. I get sick of the titles too.

Recently at a party someone asked me what I do. I replied, "I live." Yah. Didn't go over so well. So I said, "Kidding. I'm a Life Coach."

All of a sudden my WORTH in that person's eyes had risen.

Next time I have an opportunity like that, I'm going to reply, "I'm an Aspiration Strategist."

Oh yah. Then I'll REALLY be worth something smile

lol

Excellent comment. I love your philosophy of not wanting to be labeled or titled. You brightened my morning and won another fan. Thanks.

1. profile image0
        Linda Kabanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. You've got a fan too smile

Thank You! Um...We just titled ourselves as "fans" lol Damn titles. I am happy with the title of your fan though. Looks like you are full of life!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)