How did you become an atheist?

Jump to Last Post 51-60 of 60 discussions (173 posts)
  1. Joey Trujillo profile image59
    Joey Trujilloposted 14 years ago

I grew up going to church and stuff. I never liked it and it was boring. But my parents made me go. in my mid teens, my family stopped going to church so often, but everyone still believed in God. I believed in God at the time but still was not really sure of myself even though I prayed. When I turned 16 I met a friend that was an atheist and heard his view points. Then i started to study the view points of other atheists on the internet. After that i had made my decision. I started thinking more rationaly and I actually think i have become a smarter person all together. Instead learning the Bible, I was watching Discovery, History, and Science channels, filling my had with great facts about our world, life, and the universe. I think all humans should throw out their bibles and start learning about the universe. We wont get anywhere if everyone just sticks to their stories of their Gods and how life got here. We need to teach our children science so that when they grow up they will be a better generation of scientists. More scientists = more discoveries and breakthroughs.

2. DeeBee3 profile image60
    DeeBee3posted 14 years ago

I was brought up a regular Christian sent to Suday school and Sunday morning services every week.
    I could not understand what all the fuss was about back then, and to this day can stil not understand what makes people believe in some one that does not exist or that we have no proof of. 
    Why religion is the harbinger of so many wars and problems I have no idea.
    I think people believe becouse they need something in their life to look up to, personally I prefer something with a little more substance  and clarification.
    I also wonder why so many so called believers feel the need to ram religion down other peoples throats, I think this is done more to convince themselves than to convince others.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I am NOT an atheist. I reject ALL religions, because the foundations for religion are false. smile

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please expand on foundations are false. smile

4. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

I became a devout atheist after the school priest wanted to be special friends.  Go figure.

5. Gustavo Magnus profile image57
    Gustavo Magnusposted 14 years ago

And to answer the question, I was born atheist, then my parents tried the Christianity thing.

Then when I was around 6-7 I found out that the world consists of much much more and started to doubt.

And when I was about 10 years old and learned to program and made some genetic algorithms I was convinced. Evolution started to happen on my computerscreen in (simple) models, and I'd proven to myself that it works (perfectly).

6. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I just stopped believing...

7. MarieKD profile image61
    MarieKDposted 14 years ago

May I ask why?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because it is nonsense. All it takes is a little thought and "*poof* the religiosity disappears along with your ridiculous beliefs.

8. wudie profile image53
    wudieposted 14 years ago

i am not one.....yet but im old enough to notice that there are irregularities in the big book. firstly, in genesis, where did cain find a wife if he left home? i mean there was adam and eve ryt, cain left them but later on it says he got married. TO WHO???? oh, God is just and fair ryt? how come before the twins jacob and esau were born he said "jacob i have loved and esau i have hated" had esau sinned? how can God, if he loves everyone, hate? maybe i am an atheist already because Christians cannot prove anything without just saying Faith. that word just means be blind and be fed with inexplicable theories about a carig super being who allows for people to suffer yet he is supposed to have the ultimate power. concider HAITI then you can understand what im talking about. i thought God was done with destroying the world after the famous Noah flood.
    SO MANY QUESTIONS< TOO MANY QUESTIONS IN FACT BUT ONLY ONE UNFULFILLING ANSWER. "FAITH." Im getting tired of it

9. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I was never theist to begin with,thanks to my family for allowing me to be skeptical.

10. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I lost faith, see my new hub broken love..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)