Obviously, everyone is over Obama's speeches

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (220 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

So Obama wastes taxpayer money and his time by flying to Europe to tell the IOC why Chicago is the best place for the Olympics.  Hours after he left, they voted Chicago the first city out.

Obama has invested a lot of time campaigning for the VA and NJ governorship and BOTH Democrats lost.

In the VA exit polls, 40% of voters were drawn to the polls because of Obama's campaigning but it was split whether they voted for or against BECAUSE of Obama's campaigning.

It looks like people are not only voting for candidates because of Obama's support but voting against candidates because of Obama.

I have a feeling that the celebrity and "wishful thinking" of Obama being a great candidate is gone.

Obama needs to spend LESS time flapping his jaws and more time trying to fix issues.

How about starting with Afghanistan and make a freaking decision!!!!  Or just shake the 8-ball and use that as your decision.  DO SOMETHING!

This clown will be voted out of office even if he goes against Palin smile

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not likely!

2. egiv profile image61
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Calm down. Some people really expected him to solve every problem in the world and create a utopia within 3 months. He IS fixing issues, but one man can't fix everything in 10 months. Afghanistan is not a decision to be rushed or taken lightly. I wish Bush had been more careful and thorough when he planned (or didn't plan) Iraq as Obama is being now.

Who are you to call him a clown?

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If everyone is over his speeches and he is as bad as they say, maybe now is a good time to impeach him.  Let's get out the evidence and get a special prosecutor. smile

2. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I kept hearing that the Republicans/Conservatives were a dead party, it seems in New Jersey and Virginia the Republicans/Conservatives have won, whats up with that?

1. rhamson profile image71

Don't delude yourself. This was a meaningless election.  The right candidates won because they were a better choice than the opposing candidate. Obama did what he had to do as the ranking democrat.

If in 2010 the republicans can offer a quality candidate that has a few ideas then Obama may be in trouble to repeat.

Vote issues and not party is the only way this country can survive.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
          Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Tex, I had a good laugh over that same post by Rhamson on another thread lol

1. profile image0

I read it, they just don't get it, Independents my ass!

I KNOW! And it was very sincere!!! lol lol

You know what you two are so predictable.  Nothing to say but plenty of attitude.  I guess ignorance is bliss.  Just look how much fun you have.

Yeah, and unfortunately it seems to be at your expense. smile

Well I guess an empty barrel does make the most noise.  Correct me if I am wrong but did you say yeah to being ignorant?

2. profile image0

Did you say something? lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

2. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kinda makes you wonder how Obama supporters are going to justify the midterm elections, doesn't it Tex?  Kinda like the way they couldn't believe that voters went Republican in 1994.

rhamson, people do vote the issues and they have an issue with what people like Frank, Reid and Pelosi, not mention Comrade Obama are doing in Washington.  Just because you don't agree with what the American people are doing you don't get to categorize it as voting party rather than issues.

I would hope they do vote issues and not party but from what I have seen in here the party politic is alive and well.  I can categorize it how I see it and you have a right to disagree.  We disagree on a lot of issues and you choose to look at it differently than I do.  As far as labeling people as you have you have described your preference and likewise the position you take.  That could set you up for being prejudged as having a particular bias.  In my particular part of the state you find a great deal of people voting party rather than issues and they take up any cause that coincides with it.

1. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a big, and lazy, mistake on anyone's part.

I agree and hopefully my vote will cancel out someone who does not vote the issues and votes party.  But labeling it does not negate its' affect on our situation.  Perhaps the best part for you is that they mostly voted against Obama in the last election. Do you still think they made a big, lazy mistake?

1. profile image0

Nope. Obama is this country's worst nightmare. They see where the D's are going and they don't like it. Besides, it is not necessarily possible for us to know if people in those states votes issues or party.

Who could possibly know how many but a good deal of them I have talked to.  Your cause seems to overshadows your logic as defined in the previous post.

1. profile image0

How so? If we see a party going in a certain direction and refusing to take into account the wishes of the American people then it is necessary to vote that party out. I don't think it's an either/or situation. If the D's aren't doing what we want, we vote them out. Same with the R's. Issue by issue is another aspect but equally important.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no such thing as the Republican/Conservative party.  Republicans in Virginia and New Jersey who were careful to distance themselves from the right-wing loonies beat two troubled candidates.

The conservative who did the opposite, distancing himself from the "rational" Republicans was beaten by a mediocre Democratic candidate.

If Republicans want to retain any relevance as a national party, they have to throw the GlenBeck cult overboard.

1. profile image0

Uh huh! big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Well they still love him over in Europe.  However I understand that Obama just turned down Merkel's invitation to the anniversary of the destruction of the Berlin Wall.  Seems that Obama only wanted it for a backdrop for his speeches but the meaning of the real event escapes him.

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There have been Europeans in this forum that can't believe that people in the U.S. don't like him but I told them the was only in public office for less than 4 years and they were shocked.

They definitely see him more as an image and celebrity than a politician.  They get caught up in his speeches but don't know the real Obama.

They'll catch on smile

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

your titles are so biased. nothing is obvious, everyone?? you can make this claim? please...

Public opinion polls are at 50% for Obama's approval rating which is the lowest for him as well.

Ok, there is a CORRELATION.

And it's funny how all the Obama supporters always complain about people who point out his faults but NEVER give examples of how he is improving everything.  They never try to defend him with facts lol

Anyone notice that?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is a complete waste of my time to talk politics on the HP political forums. I have no desire in getting involved but when I see this ridiculous title, I will leave a remark. you don't see what you don't look for.

It's ok if you believe in his speeches.  You are the minority and that is fine.

2. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

- 2nd part of stimulus pkg ($350 billion)
        - stopped torture @ Guantanamo & ordered its closure (later ordering release of torture memos)
        - reversed Bush's stopping of funding of family planning orgs overseas
        - allowed Calif to set its own emissions standards (another reversal of Bush's idiotic policy)
        - #3! ended Bush's restriction of funding stem-cell research
        - forced GM & Chrysler into bankruptcy
        - Cash for Clunkers, successful enough that it was extended
        - nominated Sonia Sotomayor to the SCOTUS
        - Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
        - $288 billion tax cut
        - kept Gates (Repub) and McChrystal (Repub)
        - ended HIV travel/immigration ban
        - health-care insurance reform (not finished, but he took it on & it looks like it will actually happen)

Some of us don't buy into the pundits' lazy refrain that he hasn't done anything because they just don't want to recall anything.

1. egiv profile image61
          egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Must be uncomfortable to respond to facts... it's easier to take shots at people using out-of-context quotes though...

1. profile image0

Your list is laughable, you really think these are things we should praise him for? This is why he will be a 1 term President, Jesus!

1. livelonger profile image86

You don't have to praise him for these things; it was a response to Tim Turner who said Obama hasn't done anything. As for the 1-term president matter, feel free to indulge in any fantasy you want.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

egiv ...hear the crowd applauding smile...

2. TimTurner profile image69

Is this seriously your list?  For one, half of these haven't been finished and probably never will be.

And of course you would be happy with the stimulus package since he "bought" our banking system and car companies.  He didn't use the stimulus package money the way it should've.

Plus, who said it worked?  smile

Ordering Guantano closed is one of many "promises" he has made but can't do.  I can't believe you listed that. lol  It's not closing anytime soon.

Healthcare reform is not an accomplishment, even if it gets passed, you would have to review that in 10 or 20 years.

Nominating Sotomayor is an accomplishment?  How has she changed anything for the better?

You are definitely stretching on these.  Shows you can't find much on good ol' Obama, the clown.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

a helpful site to get the facts is politifact dot com.

it sorts out the facts and fiction.

6. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago
  7. profile image0

I wonder what would have happened in New York if they had taken the supposed Republican off the ballot? She got 6% of the vote, where do you think they would have gone?
    lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Oh that was something.  She endorsed the democrat and republicans still voted for her!  I think the republican party is just a democratic party mini-me.  They'd probably have gone to the democrats.

I'm amazed the conservative got as much as he did considering he's not a politician and he had no party backing him up.

8. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I predicted a long time ago, Obama will be a one term president and already you can see the disillusionment showing. 2010 will see the republicans retake control of congress as the economy continues to degrade. We will begin to see inflation and interest rates rise. Energy costs will be up, and up significantly if Obama is successful in passing cap and trade. Obama is sowing the seeds of his own destruction and unless he moves more to the middle and begins to work with republicans he'll be finished and his presidency will be nothing more than a footnote in history.

Surely not a footnote.  He could go down as the worst president in US history.  Another honor to put beside his mantelpiece next to the Nobel Peace Prize!!!

1. profile image0

I heard he was up for the Heisman!

lol Yeah all those gym workouts put him up for the running for the football career that he'll eventually get around to!

1. profile image0

He's got a "basketball Jones"

Oh no way! lol

2. rhamson profile image71

You are not as underground as you think.

1. profile image0

Really? Wow, that means so much to me.

I know and that is what makes it so funny when you respond.  You are too easy smile

1. profile image0

Thanks, do you have anymore political commentary about WHY a Republican won in Virginia?

2. profile image0
        Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well yes he'll be the black equivalent of Jimmy Carter, and hence, the footnote.

2. rhamson profile image71

I guess we will see what we will see.  The party of no change may be what is in store for us.  But I hardly think that it will be because of the issues but more based on Americas impatience.  We have done it before when Bush the senior was slowly pulling us out of the last recession and it was not fast enough for us.  Then Clinton took all the praise.

9. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Oboma  is getting a kick out of seeing just how far he can go wtih the American people , he likes to spend money on beer parties in the whitehouse and going on Paris vacations , the dude isn't ever going to do anything worthwhile

1. profile image0

Yes we can't! Dope and Change!

2. profile image0

Not true! He did issue an executive order not to go after medical marijuana users! That was worthwhile!

10. Flightkeeper profile image67

Yes, NJ usually votes republican after they've had their fill of loony liberals.

11. profile image0

"Some people really expected him to solve every problem in the world and create a utopia within 3 months."

Those people are called Democrats!

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Hey Tex! Looks like the clowns are out in force.

1. profile image0

Yup, but they are making points, hey Ron is Texas in the South?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ron.......

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59

http://images.chron.com/blogs/txpotomac/north_south_states.jpg

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Are there magnolias there?  Can anyone in the state correctly pronounce the word "nuclear"?  Did it secede from the union once and threaten to do so again?  Did someone from there develop a great way to cook beef brisket?

1. profile image0

And we perfected the art of football, don't you wish you were a Texan? Yes, yes you do!

Houston will get a lesson this Sunday from the man who actually did perfect football wink

1. profile image0

Houston? You watch sellout football? Here is what your map showed me!
              2008-09: Florida over Oklahoma

2008-09 Florida over Oklahoma

2007-08: LSU over Ohio State

2006-07: Florida over Ohio State

2005-06: Texas over USC

2002?

1. profile image0

Since you have all the answers, what state is the most heavily recruited in the country?

Rhode Island?

2. profile image0

The South and the Southwest have perfected football, any other Questions?

1998-Tennessee Volunteers 1999-Florida State Seminoles 2000-Oklahoma Sooners 2001-Miami Hurricanes 2002-Ohio State Buckeyes 2003-Louisiana State Tigers/Southern California Trojans 2004-Southern California Trojans 2005-Texas Longhorns 2006-Florida Gators 2007LSU 2008 Florida

Just one, if you're not Southern, why are you so proud of Southern college football teams?  Are you one a them damned carpetbaggers?

2. profile image0

Just love them BBQ'd ribs smile

Wrong state

1. profile image0

No it isn't - I used to live there smile

2. profile image0

We BBQ everything!

http://www.headwinderlicker.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/image001.jpg

Obviously

13. Flightkeeper profile image67

Democrat ticket in 2012: Obama/Biden lol lol lol lol lol

14. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Forget Bush Dem's you're in it up to your eyeballs. Who's going to pay for this stuff?

Sneak, they're not going to forget Bush, the Community Organizer in charge won't have anything to show for his first 100 days in office.  Other than putting our future generations into debt.

15. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

If there was a referendum on Obama, it would have to be NY-23, which tends to vote Republican, and that had Palin, Limbaugh and plenty of out-of-state money plumping for the "real conservative" Hoffman.

What explains his loss? (i.e. start spinning)

1. profile image0

He was unknown until about 30 days ago! Thats not spin its fact, and still he managed to get 44% of the vote!

Terrific spinning! This is a GOP district, that has voted conservative for decades, and that is replacing a Republican who joined Obama's cabinet (what?!).
        Explain why he ONLY won 44% of the vote...

1. profile image0

You said it, Republican. He was not the Republican candidate, did that fact escape you?

Are you saying that NY-23 just votes in RINOs?

The repub candidate endorsed a democrat.

Yes, the RINO endorsed the Democrat. And the "true conservative" lost. What does that say about NY-23's voting preferences?

And what does it say that NJ & VA voted in center-right "RINOs" and not Palin- and Limbaugh-backed populists?

1. profile image0

Dizzy aint ya? Spiiiiiiiiin!

2. profile image0

That says more about the republicans than anything else.

1. profile image0

Yes keep in mind 6% voted for someone that was no longer in the race! Had those votes gone to the conservative, he would be the winner!

And if pigs had wings.....

2. profile image0

I'm saying 6 % of the voters voted for a Republican who had dropped out of the race and endorsed a Democrat. I have no Idea what voters in NY do, but they elected Bloomberg as mayor of NYC and he is a Republican in name only!

Yes, that tends to happen in every election. So even the RINO's endorsement of a Dem didn't have an effect on this 6%.

Yeah, a lot of those RINOs are getting elected - certainly more than the "true conservatives", right?

Palin/Beck 2012!

1. profile image0

I'm not sure where you get the RINO term for NJ/Virginia governors but whatever. Wingnut is used for both extreme viewpoints, just because Liberals resort to namecalling more often than conservatives is just more proof of their ineffectiveness!

They're center-right and not involved in the cultural revolt obsessions of Palin and her cohort of populists.

Wingnut = term for conservatives
                    Moonbat = term for liberals
                    Really, Googling is NOT that hard.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67

Yes Tex, that's spin.  Concentrate on this minor district vote instead of the two state governorships that the loony liberals lost, especially in NJ, a state that is so blue and where Corzine spent 100 million dollars and where the Great Organizer stumped for him.

2. profile image0

A traitor.

16. Flightkeeper profile image67

You crazy liberals have been fun. Bye!

17. profile image0

"is used in United States politics as a political epithet referring to a person who holds extreme political views. According to Merriam-Webster, it is analogous with the word "radical."[1] In American politics, the term is more often aimed at members of the political right than those of the political left.[2]"

From your own source

"the term is more often aimed at members of the political right than those of the political left.[2]"

Does it say its never used to describe the Left? Noooooooooo, it doesn't!

18. profile image0

Livelonger must be googling

19. profile image0

(crickets)

20. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

Watch it TK someone else is listening too.

1. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Watch it"?

21. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

gotta go, there's a skunk in our yard and it's lunch time.

22. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

RON!!! another dude I haven't seen in a long time!! Heya Ron

Hello Darling....Nice ta' seeya'...............IT"S BEEN A LONG TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME.

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seriously has been a long time...where ya been? I've missed reading your comments and chatting with you on here

Uhh, you said the same thing to me last week.  I really am never gone all that long.  (Much to Tex's chagrin) smile

1. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did? wow yea my memory sucks! lol But hey as long as I run into you Ron I'm happy.

23. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Oh My goodness now I see why I try to avoid these forums but I do enjoy reading everyone's thoughts. **sigh** smile

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's for entertainment, of course!! smile

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is what I believe, lololo big_smile

24. profile image0
    Jawa Lunkposted 14 years ago

Why call them "Obama Speeches"?  We all know they don't write their own speeches.....why should we pretend?

I watched an interview on HNN with Obama's main speech writer, during the report they showed her giving Obama his speech so  he could go over it and practice it before he went on...LOL

25. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

You are both wrong they are politicians and their positions and views are for sale.  Pick one, any one.

26. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Rhamson:The fact remains that with the current healthcare system we have there will be a breakdown and it will be impossible to afford very shortly and there is only one organization that can offer a solution.  If you wait too long there will be no system you will be able to afford. Other countries have realized this, made the decision and moved on.

Deeds: Very true.

1. profile image0

I disagree. The present bill does nothing to lower cost. If you look at MA and their health care plan, the costs are rising faster than the national average.

The present bill also contains a mandate to buy insurance. Clearly this is unconstitutional.

As ledefensetech said, we all have a right to pursue happiness, it's not guaranteed. If you choose not to buy health insurance until you get sick and then you can't get it, well that was your choice wasn't it? That's what made you happy at the time, right?

If you really want to insure everybody, the best way is to make everyone in the country wealthy and the best way to do that is not to tax labor, risk, investment and savings and keep government small and regulation to a minimum.

If you wish to cite select failures then I guess you are correct.  But if you look to the north and look to the east your argument becomes mute.

Your thinking that by overturning the system with making everybody wealthy through the means you suggest is a pipe dream.  Once again power to the individual through the means you express is doomed to fail because just like every other  entrepeneur out there in your utopian freedom you will have to find a particular trick or method to succeed.  I am sorry but I don't wish to leave my healthcare and my childrens healthcare up to chance.

27. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

A "californicated" GOP endangers the nation!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/opini … ef=opinion

1. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now I understand.  You get all of your "wisdom" from Krugman.  You and he are aware, I'm sure, that California has gone broke, right?  The high tax has turned an economy that is larger than most nations in the world into one on the brink of collapse.

1. profile image0

Yep. Thanks to the democrat legislature

28. garynew profile image60
    garynewposted 14 years ago

Genau!  That's German for exactly, by the way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)