wyanjen is about to fall off the map - please give me ideas

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (46 posts)
  1. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Hello my friends.

I have been informed today that my salary has been permanently deceased. I will be short a minimum of $540 each month now.
    By my calculations, I will be homeless by February.

I'm in big bad trouble.

I'm single so there is nobody to help me. I'm lonely and scared.

Please know that I am not whining like a damn little bitch. But I am desperate and I cannot think up anyway to help myself out. Every plan I cook up gets shot down.
    Please excuse if I shoot down an idea from you, there have been many that I have tried that won't work.

I have made several friends here. Some of you are my closest friends. Yes, I'm a loser that way, My people here have for the most part already fled the city.

I have already tapped into my IRA. My savings are spent. I can't get aid of any kind because even my reduced salary is too high to qualify.
    I have not obviously given all the details to you yet.
    Never in my life have I been in trouble that I could not get out of by working harder.

Somebody please help me figure out how to get out of this.
    I'm not sure I am going to survive.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Okay jen breath chica breath....just take in a deep breath let it out slowly, take in another then let it out slowly.

As for ideas sadly I have none. I would have said ask your family for support but you said you were alone? meaning they aren't close by or something?

An idea did just pop into my head but I don't know if it would work and that is to find another part time job like something for the weekends or maybe an hour at night after you get off work from your other job. That is the only thing I can think up right now.

*HUGS* I hope everything works out for you jen I really do!

wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The family I have left is far away. After I lost my daughter, we got divorced. My close friends are gone It is really bad here.
      I'm not getting hired part time anywhere because I am high-skilled. They tell me they can't pay me the kind of money I make and I say, all I need is minimum wage. But they hire high school kids etc.
      I'm still looking though. I might have a little job up north cutting christmas trees from my family properity, I'll see if that helps until x-mas.

1. profile image0
        Scott.Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly how you feel, and I had little choice but to suck it up and move back to an area I hate and live with family. I don't know what to tell you Jen, there's no employment in my area period. In two weeks they begin winter lay-offs, and its about to get real ugly around here. So I'm going to school, they even have a work study program. Its not a job, or real money, but it is moving forward instead of sitting at home depressed getting angrier by the day. You just gotta start thinking and making phone calls. Other then that I feel for you I really do, but there just aren't very many answers.

Wow, you hit it exactly. I don't want to move an area I hate, and live with my family. I worked my a@@ off to get AWAY from there. No offense, mom lol
          I'm leaning toward using a head hunter, and heading out of state.
          Having said that, and for all the misery there is here in Detroit, I don't want to leave. I can't explain that.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jen, sometimes in life, the only sensible alternative is something we don't like.  There's no point stamping your foot and saying, "but I don't want to!", you just have to suck it up.

I assume that going back home and living with family will reduce or remove your bed and board costs.  With that worry off your mind, and as long as you can get to a computer, you can get your head down and write - treat it like a full-time job.  Freelance sites, HubPages, eHow, InfoBarrel, not to mention magazines.  If you can sell some articles, that will give you some immediate cash, while your online articles mature.

Make contact with PGrundy and Sufidreamer who both write for a living. 

While you're doing all this, keep looking for a job, either in your own field or part-time, and consider how you could get your name out there as a consultant.

Moving back with your family may not be what you want to do, but promise yourself it's only short-term and then start working towards making sure it is.

That does sound a little foot-stampy, doesn't it... lol

My concern about moving back with my family is that they live in a very rural area. I'm used to a very urban area. It's not a lifestyle issue, because I grew up in there. But, I get a little panicky, thinking, how is it possible to find a new job in a small town when I can't find one in a big city?
              I realize I'm over-thinking it. But, it kinda feels like a trap, if I go back...

Thank you Marisa, I am taking notes from your suggestions. smile

3. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Hey WJ smile that is a tall order for anybody to fulfill indeed. I would even take on cocktail waiting jobs since tips are pretty good even if you do jingle all the way home lol and peruse through the small biz idea Hubs here as there are some pretty good ideas. Starting small and temporary can hold till something better opens up, do not despair smile

Thank you Dame, you have been a sweetheart to me all the way back to when I was new.

I will check out Hubs tomorrow. Thanks for the great idea.

2. J. McCoy profile image59
      J. McCoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The cocktail waiting job isn't such a bad idea. You should be able to take home at least $100 every Fri or Sat evening at a family restaurant. Cocktail lounges will do better. If you did that 2 nights a week, it would be about $866 a month. It may not be how you prefer to spend your weekends. But, it's probably better than moving in with your parents. smile  If serving isn't your thing, consider delivering pizzas. I've seen a lot of overqualified people earn a good second income from these 2 jobs. Meanwhile, you can look for, or create, a better job situation.

I would stay VERY far away from starting any small business right now. Better to try that when your livelihood doesn't depend on it. I've owned businesses for graphic design, tax preparation, and financial literacy. It's not for everyone and isn't always immediately profitable.

I guess working as a tax preparer is another possibility to get you through January through May of next year. Although, it may be difficult to get into a certification class (through H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt) this late in the year. There's a free one online at thetaxcollege.com if you want to work for a private CPA or EA. But, you should check on licensing requirements in your state.

You might also think about some temporary lifestyle cuts. If you pick up a second job, you won't be at home as much. So, you might not be needing 6000 channels for a few months and you won't have the extra time to eat out as much. A few cuts can add up fast.

I've also sent you an email if I can be of any more help.

4. profile image0

But the main thing is, Jen BREATH just take it one day at a time. Look in the want ads and if they say you are too high skilled say that that is what they want because then they know you will get the job done right the first time. Maybe that'll help out. But don't give up. And I do hope that you can help out with the Christmas trees. You'll make good money there I'm sure.

My brother is checking out the property for me tomorrow. He said it was a bad summer, but they did not harvest any last year so it might be OK. It is 300 miles away but I can afford the trip if I can earn enuff.

Thanks to you CW.

5. profile image0

Hey jen I'm here to help when I can smile especially when ppl need to remember to breath...since I get overly stressed too and forget to breath at times.

Just have to remember: one day at a time!

I probably should not admit this but I have an Rx for anxiety but I sold the pills last month to pay for my other medication.
      As I am having a big one right now, I will go lay down and try to sleep.

*hugs* thank you so much.

6. wyanjen profile image71

I have to go now. I will come back tomorrow.

7. profile image0

All right do your best to relax and rest, chica. *hugs* if you ever need to rant and rave, you can always email me from my profile.

8. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I wish I could help, but I'm too far away to be of any real assistance. sad

If you are THAT far away, you could let me sleep on your couch while I make my get-away escape lol

I'm getting my resume together now. Should I move north or south?
      Unfortunately "away" is not a specific enough direction. No zip code. smile

9. JBrett profile image60
    JBrettposted 14 years ago

So sorry, no advice.  Hang in there, try the north suburbs like Sterling Heights for a waitress job or bar tending.

There's GOT to be people still working here, because the traffic is still frickin' horrible! Where is everybody driving to? lol
      If I can't make it Downriver, then I'm going farther north than Sterling Heights. Not many commercial printers in Mackinaw, but maybe I can get a job making fudge. smile
      If I stay in Michigan at all that is...

10. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Wyanjen, they're all headed to McDonald's and Walmart. When I lost my job, I decided to take the unenjoyment and go back to school. It's better than beating my head up against the wall.

I'm jealous of you. (no sarcasm!)
      If I was actually unemployed instead of woefully under-employed, I could go ahead and start something new. Unfortunately, I am still working. Just not getting paid.
      I didn't mention before, that I haven't bailed out before now because of the guys I work with. All of us have been suffering through the summer and working ourselves half dead, trying to keep the business going. I can't just walk away from that. It is the best group of people I'll ever know. (This is where the crying starts lol)

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know you love this group of people, but sooner than later you're going to have to make some REALLY tough decisions. I don't envy you the position you're in right now. All I can do is hope and pray for the best for you.

You're right. I should have bailed out six months ago when I still had money in the bank. It looks like the choice has been made for me, doesn't it?
          Thanks for your thoughts smile

I feel tons better just talking about it, guys. thanks.

baaaa

1. profile image0

big_smile

11. profile image0

There you go! Jen ask for help from a head hunter...or in this case maybe we should call them a job hunter beacuse head hunter just sounds sooo wrong! lmao

1. profile image0

I'm shuddering.....big_smile

Head hunter is a perfectly appropriate term in this current economic mess. I need somebody savage on my side lol

12. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Have you tried a temp or employment agency?  You could always go work for Uncle Sam.

Or, get a roommate to cut some costs.

My roommates this year have been my (temporary) homeless friends. I didn't charge them rent... now I am thinking back, maybe I should have lol

The temp agency I looked at won't take me on because I'm still employed full-time.
      This is not to say I have given up trying. I'm working on changing my department schedule to 4 ten hour days, so we have a getter chance at finding extra work.

13. profile image0

You know we are here for you chica! smile

chica chica mow mow cool

1. profile image0

lol

14. Flightkeeper profile image69
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Now that the holidays are here, can you hire yourself out to some caterers and serve food?  That would be a good way to make some quick money under the table. If you get hired by a busy caterer you would be able to easily earn $600 a month.

Off hours too... hmmm... smile

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
        Quilligrapherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Department stores usually hire for the holiday season.  Get your applications in early.

Print and post signs offering your services as babysitter, housesitter, personal shopper for the homebound elderly. Work by the hour and don't quibble about the rate.  Use Craig's List too.

Ask local printers for contacts with their customers who might need literary talent. Writing/selling ads, proof-reading, etc

Make finding a part time job your "other" full time job.

Q.

Hello Q

I did just find something on Craigslist that I am looking into right now...
          thanks smile

15. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

"Jen" - definately you have to take one day at the time.  You said you are trying to change your job to 4 /10 hr days, you've got a great personality, try the local  ARC office.  In my area they are constantly trying to hire overnight staff to work in some of the homes - and they usually only work 3 nights.  It might work for you while you work out the last days at your current job.  Good luck!

Another fine idea. smile

I have at this point filled an entire note page with the ideas and help you have given me, Hubber friends. (And I even used my super-special yellow legal pad - for Hub writing purposes only.)

Phew. The panic is subsiding now, I'm ready to dive in again.

16. wyanjen profile image71

YES!

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/wyanjen/2096650_f520.jpg

case closed.

lol

17. wyanjen profile image71

Pizza delivery - very lucrative actually...
    As graphic design is my actual day job, that is definitely out. After ten hours of it, my brain gets buzzy.  lol

It's into November now, and I have turned on my furnace a total of 4 times this season. Some lifestyle cuts are pretty easy, when you live alone and like lots of blankets!

Thanks J.McCoy for your thoughts. I'm adding some of them to my note page. I do appreciate it smile

1. J. McCoy profile image59
      J. McCoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

glad I could help smile

18. Kidgas profile image62
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

Just ran across this thread.  All good bits of advice.  I would make sure that you write everything down and analyze your expenses and income in detail.

List all your expenses and ways to cut, then decide what you want to do.  For example, housing: make no changes, smaller place, get a roommate and charge rent, be a roommate and rent a room, live in car, go to shelter.  Move on to transportation options: cheaper car, car pool, public transport, bike, walk.  Et cetera.

Then go on the list of figuring out how to increase income like part time job, taking care of kids, donating plasma, pan handling, etc.

When you sit down and start thinking, you can probably come up with over 100 ways to cut spending and increase income.  You mentioned family was not that viable an option.  Interestingly, I know a divorced couple that moved back together for strictly economic reasons.  Sometimes people will do what they have to do.

19. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

I do maybe have a possible solution.  I don't know where you live, but I am pretty sure there is a college there of some kind.  Take a couple of evening classes, and get grants and loans with very little interest, that you don't have to pay until after you complete whatever degree you are after.  Even after that, you can have them deferred forever.  My son gets between $6.000 to $10,000 each semester.  Of course you must pay for your classes and books out of it, but you know....books don't cost that much....    big_smile
    take art  classes,

20. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

And, something I forgot to tell you....never let yourself get that stressed over money.  I know what you mean tho because I am on a fixed income, and they decided that we didn't need our cost of living increase this year....ouch.  But the Forces the Be seemed to have given me a gift of how to make cash, (maybe it was the poor family I grew up in), but never panic for there is always a solution.  Stay in touch, and I'll let you know if anything else comes into my brain.

21. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

What do you do and where do you live?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)