Economy Prediction

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (67 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

10/20/2009

-Make a prediction for the United States economy in 1-2 years. Will the economy be better or worse? Why?

1. CabralAJ profile image60
      CabralAJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The economy will be worst.
      US census data suggests the U.S. population will shrink as the baby-boomers pass on in record numbers. The US economic expansion for the better part of the last century is correlated with the massive size of the baby-boomers and their population sets the trend of the overall economy. As they were born in the 1940's and grew up, they fueled demand for goods and services. Companies sprung to meet this growing demand for food, clothing, cars, tv's, phones, etc. Demographers explain that consumption decreases with age or at least the kinds of goods change. The consequence is a dramatic contraction in the US economy which is 60 to 70% consumer driven. I think we are headed lower especially if an aging population only further suppresses consumer demand. Theory has it that only after the dominance of the baby-boomers is slowly dissipated will the economy be able to find a bottom then recover. The bad news is that the worst is yet to come (2012 - 2014) and the good news is that the economy starts to recover in the later half of the next decade (the 2020's).

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Some recovery before it goes to hell. Don't know when that will be. We can't keep spending trillions of dollars without very serious long-term effects. That's why.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree Daniel

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why people of America are not protesting against Government borrowings (Federal bond)?
        after all they have to repay it in future.

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

3. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

It will be better but not spectacular. I can imagine about 2% growth in 2010, maybe a bit more in 2011.

A lot of the explosive growth in previous years was built on unsustainable credit growth. Also, real estate will probably cause a bit of a drag on the economy through next year.

4. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Over the next two years there will be "reports" of growth and improvement in the economy.  Not much will change in the way of consumer spending and the job market though. Why? Too much federal spending accompanied with unfunded federal mandates.  In two years your finacial candle will be burning at both ends.

5. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I guess, to answer this questions we must first figure out what is wrong with Economy, before we can predict what's going to happen in the future.

Presently, the "Economy", which is made up of several hundred thousand different "business to business" and "business to consumer" related companies, continues to operate on basic minimums.

Since the "unemployment" rate isn't about to come down, anytime in the next 1-2 years, the Economy will have only a "fake" recovery, because it is stimulated by infusions of government cash(taxpayer's tax revenue). The recovery already in progress is an illusion, due to the same stimulus package already in the works.

Many companies have cut costs, by cutting into the portions, which are already been established.

Example: Lay's potato chips.....put out 3 different packages people could buy....a $.99 grab bag......a $2.89 8.4ounce bag and $3.99 12+ounce bag.

How ever, the amounts in each bag have been reduced, but the prices have remained the same. This pushing inflation to the fore-front.

The "FED" and "Treasury" have made claim that they are going to keep interests low for an extended period of time, which is resulting in a weakened dollar.

This poor "monetary" policy isn't helping.

Many of the firms who operate on so-called "Wall Street" have been converted to Banking Institutions, away from their original business models.

What's scary is that these same companies are STILL acting as Banking Institutions, reaping huge profits at the expense of the Economy.

Why are these companies allowed to do this? Greed!

And, what most people don't know and many analysists have tried to come clean about "how bad the economy really was?", such as a Recessionary period or Depression era, and stopped everytime the subject appeared to be Depression era and not recessionary.

We've been in a depression era for at least a minimum 1 year.

Yet, the public hasn't been told.

Why not?

But, if you're looking for a prediction- CRASH!

America's currency is about to flounder to the bottom of the sea of the deepest ocean on the planet, because of a lack of fiscal restraint and/or extremely poor monetary policy.

America's currency hits rock bottom- America will lose Global Reserve Currency status, which will greatly effect everything you purchase.

If America's currency no longer hold it's position as Global Reserve Currency, things you buy will be based on some other currency and pricing structures are going to severely increase under that pressure.

So, where will be the Economy really end up is anyone's guess, but my personal opinion- CRASH! CRASH!

Be prepared!

1. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the analysis. Be prepared by doing what?

1. profile image56
        C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pair down, Pay off, Save. If you have two vehicles and only need one, sell one and pay off the other. Save. If you want to hedge by buying gold or other precious metals do so "in hand" don't buy "paper gold" or precious metals that are not in your posession at the end of sale. Cut descretionary spending.

1. sannyasinman profile image59
          sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've already done that. I have no debt at all and I live simply. I do however have cash and property in dollars. The property I can't sell, and the dollars I can't exchange or I lose out . . so I feel a bit trapped.

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

Hi cagsil,
      You are absolutely right in your thinking and direction.

American government is dependent on loans and debts and not on earnings.

America and American citizens are producing less and consuming more.

In fact, America is on the threshold of complete economic collapse.

I have written many hubs about the subject in 2008. I have pointed out reasons of economic crisis and financial problem of America in details. Even I predicted failure of banks long before they actually.

I have told many of my Indian friends that we will se Dollar @ Rs. 15 in coming years. It was @ Rs.50 at that time and still moving around the same.

However, I believe that it will come to level of Rs. 15 in near future.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

Thanks,

6. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Better.

7. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

Hopefully the housing market will bounce back a little more by then, but I don't foresee the job market getting to much better.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The housing market cannot rebound anymore than 1-2% per year, due to the fact that 40 Million people are homeless, 3.6 are in prisons, 20 million are unemployed and the TOP 1% don't need a house.

So, I don't see that happening anytime soon either, but nice thought though.

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, at least it's a good time to buy.

Yeah, if you have the money and can hold it for about 4-5 years.

8. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I hope the employment market turns SOON!  If it doesn't we'll be selling our house.

You might consider what the pricing is now.....it could plummet even more than it has already?

At least what it is worth? Right now.

9. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

Hi Wright,

Good advice. Americans have to change their spending and borrowing habit to avoid complete collapse. Perhaps, there is no alternate to this.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

10. fdoleac profile image59
    fdoleacposted 14 years ago

The housing market is the key to the recovery short term and long term it is the continued investment in energy, infrastucture and education.

I'm not mocking your response, so please don't take it that way, but your response is complete in exact wording all "politicians" have been using for the last decade.

Unfortunately, people buy into it like they know what they are talking about. And, I mean, citizens buy it.

Especially, without any real clarity?

You can put those fields.....Energy......Infrastructure(do you really think the average person knows what that means?) and education(everyone knows what that means, but the funds are never available for some reason or another)?

The average person is too busy with their own life, mixed up running in circles, like a dog chasing his tail, and that's the main reason why CONGRESSIONAL officials can do whatever they want.

The people HAVE TO TAKE it, because they don't have much of choice.

11. mcbean profile image67
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

How about looking at Japan as your crystal ball.

A decade or two of a jobless recovery and stagnation.

Others are doing much better. Australia is now concerned they over reacted with their large and swift stimulus. The Australian dollar was at 60 cents a year ago. It will reach parity with the greenback in the next month or so. China will push ahead, the resource boom will continue apace as a result.

The only good news i see for America is the devalued dollar will be a great help to exporters (and the tourism industry). I think the dollar will go low and stay low.

The only problem I have with that is if the DOLLAR isn't strengthened and remains low- America's advantage will disappear and our lives here on U.S. soil is going to get alot harder.

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Crash more severe than 1929 within the next several months. Civil unrest, possibly accompanied by civil war. sad

Hey misha,

I AGREE!

13. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

We could have another major housing crisis next year because of what are called Alt-A and Option ARM mortgages, vulture mortgages that make the sub-primes look like an ice cream cake. While the sub-primes set consumers back by a trillion, the Alt-A & Option ARM mortgages could be double that. However, if we use the PATRIOT ACT to seize the assets of these brokers and then have the Nat'l Guard raid the Fed, we might just break even.

Even then it won't help.

14. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The thing that is MOST appalling?

Here's is a perfect example of FULL RECOVERY in one swoop.

How ever, was NOT done!

The Financial Sector collapse- cost $700 BILLION of taxpayer's tax revenue-----Right?

Well, that $700 Billion payout could have given EVERY Citizen OVER 18 year old----a ONE-TIME LUMP SUM of $250,000.00 tax free.

Here is why it wasn't done in the above manner-

American Government REFUSED to trust citizens to do the right thing and pay-down debt.

So, they chose to give it to the Banks.

HOW IS THAT FAIR?

1. Kidgas profile image64
      Kidgasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure how this myth gets spread.  I have seen it on the internet lots of times.  $700 Billion divided by 300 million is $2500 only.  Granted it might be a $7 or 8 thousand dollar payment if you only take those 18 and over.

But what would that do?  It is a pittance compared to the amount of debt.  People would just spend on a big screen TV, some lotto tickets, and maybe pay a debt or two (get the electric turned back on).  So what?  We end up in the same place.  It is all just monopoly money anyway.  It is not real.

Well, first off.....I might be helpful if you knew the correct population of America, before you make that assessment.

You're going by what? the last population consenus was 306 Million households in all.

That's not including the 40 million homeless or the 3.6 million convicts in prisons. Who are over that age.

And, another thing you're not taking into account is how many people are in the U.S. UNDER 18 years old?

Plus, the upper 1% would have to be excluded, because they cause this problem, with their bad business practices, such as sub-prime mortgages....which the SEC should have shut down, before it ever got started.

So, how to figure it out?

Don't take it the wrong way, but that goes to show what people are not told.

1. Kidgas profile image64
          Kidgasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The point is not the exact population of the United States over the age of 18 plus the convicts minus the top 1%.  The point is that people can't do basic math and come up with an outrageous payment of $250,000 per person which is off by a factor of 100!

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61
      Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then, we could have put all of that money in credit unions and totally destroy the banking system altogether. Or how about just forgiving all of the world's debt since the debt is pure fiction created by the 'economic' sector in the first place?

3. profile image56

Casgil,

How did you arive at that 250K figure?

4. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

I agree with you, Cagsil.

Policy of America and its citizens remained as to get credit. Eat, drink and be merry.  American federal Government shamelessly advertising on their official site that the world is ready to fund them.

Even the Government is not thinking of production and saving, instead they are looking for loan and debts.

Banks support government and government supports the banks.
      This is a vicious circle and citizens have to suffer their own.

They have to woke up against all these scandals and scams.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

15. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
    GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years ago

Law of average will soon prevail marine hehehe the economy outlook in the future will be bright hehehe hopefully...

16. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

great thread, marine.

no mention here of the double dip recession that was ever so briefly discussed several months ago.  we're in the uptick typical of this occurrence. soon to follow is the real crash.  long gone are the glory days. 

also not mentioned here is the fact that most carbon energy generating countries are way beyond peak production (one gallon of oil beyond peak production is way beyond).  the wars will escalate.  throw in diminishing water supplies, decreasing air quality, increased population, and the almost complete transfer of wealth.

you can read my hub on the emergency tool or you can google continuation of the national emergency.  or, you can read nspd-51 in its entirety.

call it pessimism.  or call it reality.

17. johnb0127 profile image62
    johnb0127posted 14 years ago

The economy will get better very soon.  And by the way, do not give any credit to obama saving this economy.  What the heck has he done for this economy, much less for this country?  He is president and needs to wake up and do something good for it before we bring impeachment! (haha, I wish smile )

Citizens have to woke up because they are the sufferers.

Do not disturb Mr. President and allow him to enjoy his Noble prize! Ha ha ha!!
      Jyoti Kothari

18. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

It will still take some sort of capital to buy things...

Why not America concentrates on manufacturing and even agriculture?

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Labor costs are too high here Jyoti.

Instead of bail out plan of $700 B government could support manufacturing industries by means of tax rebates and subsidies. Why are not they withdrawing MFN status to China that has ruined American manufacturing industries?

Unemployed can work for low wages and salaries. At least they can earn some. Labor cost will be low in that case.

Thanks,
          Jyoti Kothari

Why would the unemployed work for low wages or salaries?

2. profile image56

I wish I knew Jyoti.....The trade deficit with China is out of controll. Even McCain said the "Manufacturing" Days of America are over. I think he's wrong. I believe both parties believe that America's future is in the Tech sector...developing new technologies, not manufacturing them.
            I think when we come out of this economic funk manufacturing will return.....however America is going to be humbled over the next few years. I belive many will be surprised at how hard they are willing to work for so little.

Hi,
              Developing new technologies can earn big money but can not create a lot of jobs. Common Americans survive on jobs and not on big money generated by few big corporations.
              Moreover, other countries will also start researching and develop new technologies. Manufacturing countries can develop their own cheaper technologies and there will be no buyer for American technologies.

Why people lost their jobs are not interested in working low paid?

Thanks,
              Jyoti Kothari

Because it's not enough to live on.

But it is better to have some than nothing. Is it enough to live without a job and without pay?

Think rationally. All days are not equal.

Thanks,
                  Jyoti Kothari

All days are not equal true, but creating an economy based on low wages would be a backward step. I'd rather that we concentrate on what we can do to go forward.

3. profile image0
            pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem is the cost of living here. Even so, lots of people do work for low wages. Many of them don't live indoors. Lots of homeless people here are employed, but of course we don't advertise this fact.

The U.S government doesn't care about getting manufacturing back. All the government cares about is finance and insurance, which loot the world. That's why the rest of us are screwed. Only the very rich matter right now.

Hi Pgrundy,
              You are right. The Government of the US do not care for the poor or the common. Job loss and unemployment rate is too high. It may reach to 13% in few months according to some survey results.
              Finance and insurances are Tertiary sectors and can not survive long without support of primary and secondary sectors.
              The US has to go back to agriculture and manufacturing to sustain and survive.
              Anything else can mess and ruin everything.

Thanks,
              Jyoti Kothari

1. profile image0
                A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think there are plenty of people who will work for lower wages because like you said anything is better than nothing. The problem is there are corrupt organizations called Unions in this Country who demand a much higher wage than a job is worth. The cost of living is higher in areas with unions, non union States like Texas that still manufacture or not falling into disparity like Detroit Michigan.

America is a democratic country. Why people are not protesting these unions? Why the Governments do not act against them?

After all. American constitution guarantee personal freedom. Hence, people want to work let be allowed to.

I have written some hubs about economic crisis and financial problems of America. I have focused a lot  in those articles.

Thanks,
                  Jyoti Kothari

Thanks,
                  Jyoti Kothari

Unions developed for a reason.  Texan's opinion about unions represent only one side.

2. ledefensetech profile image67
                  ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget inflation Tex.  That's the real killer and why our wages have become so non-competitive with the rest of the world.  It's just too expensive to hire an American and there is far too much red tape.  Much easier to ship those jobs overseas and take advantage of the cheap labor and less overhead.  Unions played their part too, but they never were a majority of the population.

Thank you FDR.

American citizens have to go and search for root causes of the problem. Nothing can be happened blaming Government, politicians and unions.

Are the citizens themselves not at all to blame? Who elected this politicians to run Governments? Who empowered these unions? Who encouraged red tapping?

You can view hub about economic crisis of America; Root causes.

Thanks,
                    Jyoti Kothari

19. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Second crash, followed by years of civil unrest and ultimately a poorer country overall. More of a gap between rich and poor once all the shouting stops--like in South America.

20. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I'm hoping that we don't end up like Argentina.

21. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

From what I have heard and been able to gleen from the press, it looks like Obama will pursue the bankers at every opportunity.
    Obama is smarter than some Americans give credit for, and although he has to deal with the most outrageously stupid false claims about him being anything from a Muslim to an Antichrist, he remains calm and in control.

Some Americans have far fetched conspiracy theories as the base of their beliefs about Obama that any 5 year old could debunk.

America will recover under Obama if he can survive the massive hate campaign from the terminally ignorant, the Fox hate campaign and the ignorant rants from all the radio crazy shock-jocks!

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Our manufacturing base is gone though, and Wall Street is still out of control. No regulation, no attempt to break up the 'too big too fail' institutions. We need jobs to recover. I don't see where these jobs will come from.

22. retellect profile image70
    retellectposted 14 years ago

I just go on the principle that after a downfall their will be an upward turn. It might not be big but I do think the government are trying real hard to improve the state of the economy.

23. seamist profile image60
    seamistposted 14 years ago

I don't think it's going to be much better. Why? Seventy percent of our gross domestic product is based on consumer spending. The unemployment rate is 9.8% and expected to rise even higher. Even though unemployment is known to stimulate the economy, each time we have another unemployment extension, it's taking the Senate longer and longer to pass. Furthermore, if the current extension does pass, it's only good for 14 weeks. The jobs aren't going to improve that quickly. Right now, there are six applicants for every job opening. So, what happens when all the unemployed need another extension in 14 weeks. In the meanwhile, more and more mortgage forclosures and bankruptcies are taking place. I think even when the jobless do go back to work, they're going to be scared to spend any money they absolutely don't have to spend. If consumers aren't spending money, businesses are not going to invest and expand their payrolls. I think it's going to take a long time for people to get back on their feet again. Although many people disagree, I do wonder if the Great Recession is going to turn into another Great Depression.

24. hudsonj1994 profile image59
    hudsonj1994posted 14 years ago

I think that it's just gonna go downhill for a little while then sprout back up.

25. garynew profile image60
    garynewposted 14 years ago

Runaway inflation coming, will compete with unemployment for highest percentage.  Not looking good, unless you're a typische Liberal with rose colored goggles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)