Religious Hubs why?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I MEANT RELIGIOUS FORUMS  hmm:

My research has hard facts indicating these religious forums are getting out of hand and not used for conversation, as a forum should be, but rather to preach, draw attention, or provoke debate.

Is there any way to find a happy medium?  A forum today stated "I have been saved" "I have been saved by Jesus and will live for eternity".  I am not trying to single out one person but it's right here to be read.  I ask you, how does that benefit others or create interaction with even non-believers yet other hubbers?

Where do we draw the line?  How do we draw the line?  Can a line be drawn?

There is no wrong belief, but I will go worship in private for or to whomever that shall be and what about the non-believers?  Are they not as important?  I don't see Jewish or Moslem forums being created every 40 minutes?

Any suggestions?

I'll be honest, I need to look at what is aggravating me so much about this because little effects me and I am fed up with this situation.  Sorry

Kimberly

1. yoshi97 profile image55
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religionists (AKA zealots) use religious forums to poke a dagger into the hearts of those who don't believe like they do, making others feel weak, inferior, and unworthy of existence. It's a crusader and Spanish Inquisition technique whereas you are beaten down until you submit and believe - or defend yourself and are made to look aloof.

It's the quiet believers who suffer the most, as even they are made to believe they aren't true in those beliefs, which is why such posts offend us.

It would be no different than if someone posted a thread stating hubbers that wrote without learning and properly using SEO tactics were unworthy of being hubbers.

No one minds excluding themselves from a group, but to be designated unworthy makes one feel hurt and angry ... I think this might explain what you are going through.

I just started a thread of my own to counter the ugly with something beautiful ... a thread where we can all give thanks to the hubbers that inspired us the most. smile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know, love that forum ace

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What did your research consist of? I'm gathering all you needed to do was open up half a dozen threads to come to that conclusion.

Though I think Religious Hubs would be a far more interesting topic of discussion. And by that I mean discussion, not debate.

Do hubs on religion, on any aspect of it, get a lot of search engine traffic? What keywords are people ranking highly for? Is it profitable? Or are they simply created as the hook for the bait (the religious thread in the forum) that will hopefully draw the other community users to dig deeper (or click further) to another website or salvation?

1. profile image0
        mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Darkside each time I read one of your post you make even more logical sense! You are so right when we "The Hubbers" get into a debate in religious forums many times it is for an alternative motive rather than what it is meet for!!!

So many times non believers who may be trying to undersstand God are ran off from the beleif due to forum threads and posts!

To me it is ok that others do not believe they must walk their walk and I must walk mine! Debating God never resolves anything it is like debating politics we can voice our thoughts however we are powerless to the end results!!!

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kimberly, I think what you said at the end of your post is your own answer.  for many people, religion is their life, their belief. as much as some of these threads get out of hand and start attacking each other, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to express their views.  I wander in every now and then, but my suggestion would be not to read the threads at all and they won't bother you any longer! smile

and believe me, they have provoked me also, but then I remember, I'm the one who chose to open up the post and read it. hmm

4. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no wrong belief, but I will go worship in private for or to whomever that shall be and what about the non-believers?  Are they not as important?  I don't see Jewish or Moslem forums being created every 40 minutes?

This is the part of your thread that strikes me. You only see one side or the other side but not any of the multitudes of other sects out there really chiming in here or starting their own threads.

Darkside made a comment about what kind of benefits they might get from creating a hub about their religion and I think that is an interesting topic. And one I am going to have to look into as to keywords etc to see how profitable it might be to write about certain religions.

I thought this would digenerate rapidly. I had gathered my popcorn and soda to watch the show. I am happy to see an actual discussion instead of the back biting remarks that usually accompany a religious thread.

Well done everyone!

1. skristoff profile image61
        skristoffposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Since the vast majority of Americans consider themselves Christians of some flavor, I'd guess that the rough population of Hubpages, and therefore individual Hubs and forum threads/posts, follows that same proportion.

Religion is a difficult topic for a lot of people to debate.  Devout believers (of any faith) cannot and will not budge from their beliefs.  Unbelievers mock those who prostrate themselves to a deity.  People who are searching for faith are turned off by both of these groups. 

The internet is also full of people who hide behind their anonymity and get a rise out of trolling people who are willing to feed their flames.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most haven't found it because this is not in the religion forum smile

3. profile image0

I agree and everyone is stating their opinions with compassion and being polite.  It is refreshing in this type of forum.  I am  as guilty as the next for arguing, so I tonight am learning myself also  as to what these forums can be made of.  I had never seen this before.

1. profile image0

Oh, minus a few I just read - disappointing.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

but look at those that disappoint you and ask yourself why.
            because you don't agree with it? because it was said a certain way? if you truly want to understand, you have to look at what triggers your 'disappointment'.

1. profile image0

Why do you feel such a need to arrogantly tell me what I should be doing when I ask or tell nothing to you except this post.  You need to look at yourself first then let fate be what it may.  Don't dare to tell me again anything I should or should not be doing.  I take great offense to hypocrites and frankly disregard the lack of intuition in their psyche.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

??? you started a thread asking for suggestions and help. I am in no way being arrogant... just because there is not a smiley face? wow. I'm trying to help. I thought that was what this thread is about. only if it is said a certain way?

1. profile image0

roll

2. yoshi97 profile image55
          yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Belief and passion are two sides of the same coin ... you can't have strong belief without a lot of passion, and passion is the catalyst that changes debate into arguments.

Choose one topic you feel very strongly about then imagine someone in your mind telling you everything you believe about it is wrong. Makes ya mad, right? That's what passion adds to belief.

Only a highly objective believer of anything can remain calm as his or her beliefs are being flounced by others - but it is that person who earns my respect, as they shown the ability to communicate properly and are quite possibly capable of reshaping my beliefs. smile

5. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stay out of the religion forum. Draw your line right there.

2. profile image0

New question how can I fix this title - bit of a loser sometimes, I can accept that FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Hi Kimberly,

Ideas and ideals seem to be very sensitive matters to debate or share passionately without being abrasive to someone. I have my sore spots too.

Maybe the thread was to attract other like minded people to meet up with?

Personally I like recipes (interchange hubs), but I despise recipes on cooked spinach so I will never go there smile Maybe while they are so agitating to you, avoiding them is good.

Wanted to let you know I have been reading and enjoying your hubs. Holly

4. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 14 years ago

Even debate is nothing really harmful. Debate is an intellectual interaction, not an excuse to lash out and make personal attacks on people, let alone bait people into attacking you so you can retaliate. Some people are just brainwashed into fomenting conflict because that's what the inter-dimensional, shape-shifting reptilian aliens feed off of (thank you David Icke:)).

5. Dark knight rides profile image59
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

Debate is a positive way to bring issues into the open and examine them on their merits. I respect those whose beliefs are strong enough that they feel the need to share it with others. Think about it, can you imagine what it would be like to feel your beliefs that strongly? If you felt that you had the truth, wouldn't you want to run screaming it from the rooftops? To share it with everyone so they could hear it too?

Just because they may be wrong is no reason for them to hold back, is it? There's a guy at the college I go to, I see him every few weeks, and he's out in the square, preaching his beliefs to anyone who'll listen. And inevitably there is a crowd of students around him, taunting him and yelling. But he's there and every once in a while, some student will come out and ask a question, and he's willing to open the dialogue from there. That's strength. And to do it here, where half the people who come along will ridicule you and demean you. You have to be brave to do that.

My problem with these forums is that there is little real debate that doesn't degenerate into childish name calling and insults. I suspect it's because many people are either ashamed of their own inability to formulate an argument, or they just have so little respect, for others or themselves, that they can't be bothered to really open their minds to a discussion.

6. skristoff profile image61
    skristoffposted 14 years ago

The problem with a forum on religion is that many people have religious beliefs that are absolutes, and leave no room for debate. Some Christians say "Jesus IS the son of God" rather than saying "I believe Jesus is the son of God", even if the second answer is just as true as the first.  People who are not Christians are more offended by the first statement, because it's not true in their belief system, but they can accept the second statement because it infers that the speaker understands that not everyone shares their beliefs.

7. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

I always go to the religious forums because my spiritual life and understanding are of major importance to me. These are the things I want to discuss and read about. People come in and ridicule anyone who believes and then blames the believers for causing trouble. Quite annoying.

Then I see the religious ones fighting too. Still, sometimes people ignore most of the thread and comment on what it's really about, discuss things, it's okay sometimes.

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I have seen this situation arise and I have a completely different view point. It isn't the religious that behave badly it's the non-believers attacks on the religious that are completely outreagious and insulting. The majority of the religious quote scripture to defend their beliefs and face a barage of attacks.

I personally won't put up with it and will give an attacker a dose of their own medicine. The whole while the non-believers will be telling the believers that if you really believed you would not fight back. The non-believers accuse the belivers of passing judgement or casting them to hell and that is not the case. I personally don't believe that and I haven't heard anyone make that reference to a non-believer.

Believers have a set of morals that they hold to be true. The non-believers and liberals don't want to be held to a set of morals. They subscribe to the,"if it feels good, do it" philosophy and do not want to be reminded that thats not always appropriate. If a religionist says that's not right then the non-believer automatically takes that as acting superior.

If you are offended by religion don't bother the religious and you won't get your feelings hurt. Staying away will also keep your consious from judging your own actions. That way you won't displace your anger over your own guilt on to the believers. If you want to be respectful then please join in but if you want a fight do everybody a favor and take it some place else.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

In other words, if you disagree, stay away, we only want those who agree with us.

I see as many attacks from Christians on here as those non-believers who attack Christians. Neither side is above reproach or totally innocent.

And I wish you would stop painting ever single person who does not believe in God with the same brush. You have no idea how these people live their lives...

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if you stand for something immoral then the shoe fits if you don't ignore the comment. When we discuss positions in this or any forum we speak in generalities it isn't possible to adress each individual as such because I don't know everyones motivation. So again I say if the shoe fits.

2. skristoff profile image61
        skristoffposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd rather have a forum full of people who disagreed but did it in a respectful way.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I would too, it seems almost impossible with a small minority.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

there is usually something to learn about ourselves in what we allow to provoke us.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Sorry, hope I didn't add to the conflict by replying. The debate has been refreshing for the most part.

11. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

No woe is me, no victims.

12. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

I am curious though as to one thing that Sneak said: "That way you won't displace your anger over your own guilt on to the believers."

I personally have my own beliefs and choose to walk a different path, what is it exactly that I am supposed to be angered by enough to make me feel guilty for not walking in the believers footsteps?

I don't think the anger that most of us feel is about belief or non-belief but how the forums degenerate into an abusive attack by everyone. It disheartens those who would generally like to discuss the topic when we have to wade through all the sludge to get to any good content.

Of course that is my opinion and I could be way off base.

13. profile image0

We read attacks and debates in religious forums, yet state "stay away" and you won't be bothered.  And continue to participate in frustration and not "stay away".

I think all people want to be heard, but the visitors to religious forums I never see state their own beliefs.

This is because it is personal and of no means to press onto others.

Can everyone not be the same and respect the subject matter?

Debating religion or politics is only a means to no end.  No one is dumb here, we all know that.

But even me, now, am stating yet another post or opinion without the need to tell you my beliefs or non-beliefs.  For the sake of using my keyboard?  hmm:

14. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Religion is for noobs

15. profile image0

**sigh**

16. profile image0

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

17. profile image0

LOL, oh well I think I'm off to bed. Will check back laters on this one.

1. profile image0

sleep well and sleep in - it's always the best on Monday Mornings lol nite nite big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)