I Need a computer geek, specializing in wireless :)

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

We have three computers. My laptop is wireless and I have my son's desktop set up to remotely run from the router that is on our main pc.

PROBLEM:  Every time our home phone rings my son & I loose our internet connection.

Yes, I have the 2-wire connectors running off of each home phone.

Yes, I've contacted our internet provider who is also our telephone provider & I leave them stumped.  I requested new connectors for the phones, but they don't think that is the problem.

No, the main PC does not use a phone connector.

I am pretty good at troubleshooting these things, but this one has me stumped and pisses me off if I'm writing a hub inline and I loose my connection because its that time of year for every telemarketer in the world to call my house! sad

Thoughts, suggestions, tips?

1. ledefensetech profile image69
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're using a cordless phone, the channel the 2.4 GHz phone uses and your wireless router are the same.  So your internet kicks off.  You should be able to set your phone to use one channel and the same thing with your wireless router.  Set them to different channels and the problem will go away.  Or you could upgrade to a 5.8 GHz phone or downgrade to a 900 Hz phone.  Or you could use a corded phone, not cordless.

2. dyonder profile image71
      dyonderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have the 2-wire connectors running off of each home phone.

Do the 2-wire connectors run from the wall outlet then split to a telephone line going to the phone and an internet line going to the router? If so, try switching the lines on the splitter. I had the same problem with mine until I did.

3. purduejim profile image60
      purduejimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am assuming you have as DSL, not a Cable modem.  If so does the phone have the little line filter on it?

4. LiamBean profile image79
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Since the phone line and internet connect (likely) both run from the same device (a modem or router the provider supplied) I suggest exchanging the modem/router.

I haven't heard of this happening before, but your provider gets a nice break on those things and some of them are very cheaply made.

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Switch to cable? smile

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are dropping everything that is not a necessity right now, so cable isn't an option!  smile

1. Cirdon profile image61
        Cirdonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just out of curiosity, are you using a second line dedicated to Internet use (and nothing else)? If so, you might want to see if your cable service providers in your area offer a comparably-priced "lite" Internet offer, especially if your phone service is already through them (many phone companies also offer Internet; this is also assuming you don't have cable TV, but if you do have cable TV still, and you're using two different providers, you might want to consider consolidating it all with one of the providers). Bundle offers can sometimes result in a cost savings, and you'll also get more bandwidth for Internet, which it sounds like you might need if you have several people that access the Internet on a regular basis.

3. palmerlarryray profile image65
    palmerlarryrayposted 14 years ago

Are you using cordless phones?  Try changing the channel on either the router or the phone and moving them further away from each other.  My old Linksys wireless router used to do the same thing and we discovered it was my cordless phone creating interference.

Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou!

Yes, both phone are cordless, one is on the main floor two rooms away from the router and the other upstairs.

I'll go research changing the channel on the 2-wire router, I'm pretty sure I can't on the cordless phones (they are really old).

4. Manna in the wild profile image63
    Manna in the wildposted 14 years ago

802.11 at 2.4 GHz uses certain channels. It's likely that the phone also uses 2.4GHz and floods the air with interference. Change channels on the phone and/or the wireless access point if you can find out how. On the AP the channels could range from 1 to 11. Try using channel 1. You could also move the phone and AP far apart - that might help.

5. ttcableguy profile image40
    ttcableguyposted 14 years ago

Yes I have to agree with dyonder it has to do with the router syncronization the router has to be plugged directly into the wall jack without filters all other phones must pass through filters. If phones are plugged direct every time the router sync and the phone rings it bumps the sync off until the call is over filters alllow the phone call to use a different frequency

6. dablufox profile image56
    dablufoxposted 14 years ago

If you have a number of phones in the house 2 or more, a monitored alarm system, cable tv or fax using the telephone line, you may need to get a central filter.

Try connecting a patch cable (network) cable to your router and get someone to ring you. If the internet drops out its not the wireless, its the phone line.

7. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The router is plugged directly into the wall. We don't have cable t.v. or cable internet.  The phones both have filters.  We did not have this problem with our old router, but when they upgraded our router to a 2-wire, the trouble started.  I used the new filters they sent with the new router and have even tried going back to the old filters.

I need to research how to change the channel.

Great info all..thanks!!!

8. awirelessbusiness profile image60
    awirelessbusinessposted 14 years ago

Hard to diagnose remotely in a forum, but when you said it started after they "upgraded" you to a two wire router, it tipped me to a problem that may be related to power over ethernet. If they needed, or wanted, to pull power for your equipment and you didn't have a proper non-interfering outlet available, they may have used a power over ethernet configuration. PoE, which can use either the free wires unused in your ethernet cabling, or a mixture of free wires and non-free wires that are also used for wired ethernet communications. They should not leave without checking that anything changed works well for you, but sometimes companies do something for their own convenience hoping you won't follow up on it too much. Unless you have newer routers, etc that follow both the 2.4 and 5 standards, you may be out of luck as far as changing frequences easily. The chipset in any router you now use would have to be compatible with the new equipment too. Standards are expected with the N protocol soon, so maybe this incompatibility will end soon. G, B and earlier versions are on their way out and I wouldn't invest too much in those. The other posts have given you some of the things you should be aware of. Good luck with your problems!

9. dxristo profile image59
    dxristoposted 14 years ago

It is probably a problem with the line wire that comes to your house from your local telephone compqany. It probably needs cleaning or they have to replace it with a new one. I am sure they will find it defected when they check it out.

10. L3B0 profile image60
    L3B0posted 14 years ago

Youtube your problem, videos often help me when stuck

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)