pecan pie didn't set

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image51
    sciggyposted 16 years ago

pecan pie didn't set, this never happened before. Any ideas why this can hapen?
    Thanks

2. Practica profile image60
    Practicaposted 16 years ago

Oh, pie....

I have had this happen when I haven't had all the ingredients at room temperature, when I added butter as some recipes call for, and when I haven't adequately and gently beaten the eggs before adding other ingredients.

But nowadays, when I  have all things at room temp and don't put the filling into a hot or too-cold crust, I never have this happen.

Chill the runny pie and serve with lots of cream - it's better than no pie (my daughters used to refer to such 'flops' as "poorman's pie" (or whatever the thing was, edible but not perfect).

Happy new year

3. thooghun profile image93
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

I'm completely out of my league here, but good lucky with that wink

4. profile image49
    lmroseposted 15 years ago

I have been having the same problem with my pecan pies and I was really getting frustrated (I am a Personal Chef and I can't make a pecan pie).  Thank you for the extremely helpful tips Practica.  I went straight to my kitchen and set out all of my ingredients and let them get to room temperature and then I baked my very first successful Pecan Pie.  Hooray!

5. profile image51
    rinasings2uposted 15 years ago

pecan pie sounds really hard to make.

6. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 15 years ago

this is my favorite pie of all time. it beats out sweet potato by a nut.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Pecan pie is my favorite IF it's made correctly. Most pecan pies sold in grocery stores and even bakeries have too much filling and too few pecans. Good pecan pie should be thin without too much filling. And of course the crust is important as in any pie. I've never baked a pecan pie, but I've eaten a lot of them having grown up in pecan country--Louisiana.

7. desert blondie profile image55
    desert blondieposted 15 years ago

My husband, a 'good ol' Southern' guy from Oklahoma (where Pecan trees abound)...loves Pecan pie...and he says I make the best he's ever tasted!--and he's got a set of pecan pie baking grandmothers, mother, several aunts, older sister, previous wife, etc. to compare my pecan pies with!! (I do rather, not too humbly, think mine are pretty delicious)  And aside from poorly made homemade pies, the store-made ones are too gelatinous...I think from preservatives. The filling should be smooth in one's mouth, buttery, but firm.  Yet not gelatin-like or too sugary.
         I can't think of why a pie wouldn't 'set' (as noted by one writer) unless it was just terribly undercooked...would be interested in hearing more from the 'never set' baker.
         I do agree, room temp ingredients the best...and real butter...not margarine or Crisco. Also...add a bit of vanilla...many recipes don't mention this ingredient...and it adds quite a nice touch.

1. cathyj profile image54
      cathyjposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

My husband - another good ol' Southern guy from Arkansas - says my pecan pie is the best he's ever had, too.  I'm a "Connecticut Yankee" and he laughs at the way I say the word "pecan" but he sure does love that pie!  Maybe we have the same recipe!   smile
      I use real butter (unsalted), vanilla and pecan halves on top rather than chopped pecans.

My son-in-law has been known to stay up and eat an ENTIRE pie overnight just to keep it away from everyone else!

I too, think the pie that didn't set probably was very undercooked.

8. profile image48
    mimi gposted 14 years ago

I used the same recipe this year as last.  Last years was fine--this one did not set up.  It was the southern pecan pie from Sunflower Sample.  #1.  It said to " beat eggs until light.  What does that mean?  #2  I spilled the vanilla while I measured it over the bowl, and the filling does tate like vanilla.  #3.  The recipe did not say what state the 1 tlb of butter should be in, so I melted it. 
    I took it out of the oven after an hr and a half to see if it would set--it did not, so I put it back in for another hr and a half.
    It tastes good tho.
    Any ideas?

9. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Sorry I only know how to eat pecan pie.....smile

10. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 14 years ago

Here is a great recipe for pecan pie that will work every time. I have made it for years and I have never had a problem.

Chocolate Pecan Pie

1 Ready Made Pie Crust in the tin foil pan.
    1 Cup of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips.
    3 Tablespoons Whole Milk.
    4 Large Eggs.
    3 Tablespoons Melted Butter.
    2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract.
    1 Cup Light Corn Syrup.
    1 Cup White Granulated Sugar.
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon.
    1 Teaspoon Ground Allspice.
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt.
    1 1/2 Cups Of Pecan Half's.

Take a knife and cut slits all the way around the bottom of your pie crust. Bake your pie crust in a 425 degree preheated oven for 5-7 minutes until golden brown being sure not to burn it.

Reduce your oven temperature to 325 degrees.

Microwave your chocolate chips and milk until smooth and pour into your browned pie crust. Shake to smooth out on the bottom of your crust.

Now you will want to beat your eggs well in a large bowl and add your other ingredients but pecans  and mix together well in the bowl. Slowly pour into the pie crust on top of your chocolate layer already there.

Add your pecans on top and put foil around the crust on edges to prevent your crust from getting burned.

Bake 55-60 minutes until your pie is firm.

This pie will turn out perfect every time and it truly is the best pecan pie that you will ever eat.

11. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Gosh, there are lots reasons why your pie could have not set right. How many eggs did you use? If you don't use enough eggs (3 or 4 should do it), or the the eggs were too small, the filling won't set up right. Overbeating will also cause problems. If you overbeat or use a whisk instead of spoon, you'll get air and/or foam in the filling and it won't set up right.

How long did you cook it and at what temp? Pecan pies need to cook low and slow, usually 50 to 60 minutes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)