jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What is "room temperature," in degrees Farenheit? I am referring to cooking ing

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

What is "room temperature," in degrees Farenheit?  I am referring to cooking ingredients,

and red wine?  It seems to me that everyone has a different comfort level, and that "room temperature" will be different in everyone's home.

2. WretchedRapture profile image73
    WretchedRaptureposted 6 years ago

As far as I know, the phrase "room temperature" always meant around 65-75 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not so sure about that in relation to ingredients and wine and such, as you mentioned, but I hope this helps. :]

3. Bill Yovino profile image90
    Bill Yovinoposted 6 years ago

Good question and the answer is probably not what you think.  Normally people think of room temperature as 70f.  When it comes to wine, room temperature is generally 55 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit, which was probably the average room temperature in the days before central heating. White wine is generally served 5 to 10 degrees cooler.

4. cameciob profile image82
    cameciobposted 6 years ago

It is 82 degrees. That is the "room temperature" for cooking ingredients like water, eggs, milk, etc and I believe it mostly apply to baking ingredients.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image96
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Well, having spent fifteen years as an HVAC repair man ...I can tell you that folks are generally comfortable anywhere from 68 to 80 degrees F.

Age, season, and finances factor into that, of course :-/

6. ColibriPhoto profile image81
    ColibriPhotoposted 6 years ago

Room temperature for cooking is the ambient temperature of where you are working and can vary according to your comfort level. It simply means that the food at the time of preparation was not just removed from the fridge or oven and has had time to adjust to the surrounding temperatures.

Room temperature for wine is about 55 degrees F. The term is used to refer to the temperature of the wine room or wine cellar. In France, the wine was kept in caves that had a year-round temp of 13C or 55F and this was kept as a base.

7. stephhicks68 profile image85
    stephhicks68posted 6 years ago

Good question!  I would presume that room temperature is about 72 degrees F.  One additional comment I would make is that it will vary based on proximity to a south-facing window, near the oven or dishwasher, or close to a draft (external door).

8. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 5 years ago

70-72 F. It is the comfort level of you body in a singal layer of clothing indoors.

9. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

Room temperature is EXACTLY 68 Deg, F. (20 Deg, C).   Any other temperature of that ingredient and you can be SURE that your recipe will end up in the Disposal.....  Good luck...

Closed to reply