It's the end of the World as we know it...?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Bredavies profile image61
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

Ok seriously? who believes this end of the world crap? I have my own theories about this. But who actually believes we will all die I 2012??

1. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone can know when the world will end.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I doubt it will be in 2012.
      Simply because it's been predicted so much by man.
      The Word says God only knows.  So it will be in His timeframe;  no use us worrying about it except to make sure we're ready to face our Maker.

3. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if that's true then there are a few of you cuties here in HubPages that i have to hookup with before it all goes BOOM!
      E-mail me your phone numbers, okay?

2. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

I am convinced. wink

Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope that wink means "It's bullshit" HAHA

3. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Honestly it is the most ridiculous thing I have heard they said the same thing about the new millenium we would be without electricity, the computers would crash etc. and none of it happened. I am not concerned let the cards fall where they may.smile

I completely agree. I don't even know what the big deal is. It's about a calender! like get over it!

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is another way to put fear into millions of people that is what the media enjoys doing and corporate America reaps the benefits because people spend more money due to fear.smile

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me ask you a question Evans.  Because you are reasonable person even in disagreements; Would you agree that Fear is not just something that is made up?

Would you also agree that fear is a cause to act on something instinctive?  After all, if there was nothing to fear then it would make itself scarce.

In someways, it's like saying... A guy has a gun to my head and is ready to kill me, but I shouldn't fear it because it's just that persons way of getting me to do something or get my money or something.

True, I could go down with or without a fight, people don't respond in fear if there is no reason to fear.  I do not know about 2012, we'll see when we get there but to me, there is something to fear. 

Will the world end, I dunno...prolly not... I would fair on the side of prolly not but knowing that billions of people do fear something has my guard up because, like we know, when people are scared they loose a lot of reason. (double understanding implied)  when people are scared they loose a lot of reason.

2. caranoelle profile image77
      caranoelleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I concurr.

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Maybe the Mayans ran out of paper. big_smile

exactly! haaaahaa! I think they got bored and said "forget this we have better things to do."

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or....they got together to play the Mother of all Pranks. big_smile

ahahaahaahhaahahaaaaa! Dam it! tricked most of us!!! smile

1. profile image0

I refuse to buy 2012 calendars. lol

well im goin by them. it wont b a complete waste of money since the world ends on December 21. Maybe I can get it for a deal. like 2 dollars off or something. smile

1. profile image0

Yeah, get them to pro-rate you for the other 10 days, definitely. big_smile

2. mega1 profile image80
      mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

the Mayans had paper?  lol

1. profile image0

Well, there you got me. big_smile

3. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, my 9 year old niece explained it to me, the Mayan's were getting ready to begin the 2013 part of the calendar when aliens came and took them away which is why they disappeared. roll

1. profile image0

That's as good an explanation as any I've heard lately. big_smile

5. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Here's a thought - if we were to live AS IF the world was going to end in 2 years or less - would it be better or worse?  I think worse because most people would think - hey, do whatever, the worlds gonna end - So I'm saying, whether or not you believe its gonna end - behave as if it is going to last forever and that means we have to clean up our act and make it a better place to keep living in!  And that's my thought for the new year!  big_smile:

well put.... I couldn't agree more. smile

6. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

That also goes with religion.

What do you mean?

7. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

what will that do to peanut butter sales, I wonder . . .

ahaahaha! smile

1. mega1 profile image80

I don't see what's so funny about that!  (indignant look)

forgive me. I'm having a joyful day. Im not to worried about the end of the world..or peanut butter. Everything will work out.

2. profile image0

Now's the time to sell that PB stock. big_smile

8. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

yeh, me too - funny how hard it is to work yourself up into a good bicker when you actually feel good!  big_smile:

It's pretty hard. haha.

9. profile image0

Great. I panicked and sold all my Peanut Butter Stock. Thanks Mega. big_smile

ahahha!! smile

10. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The World isn't going to end, according to any form of Calendar. smile

I Agree sir!

11. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

2012 is my 10 year anniversary at my job.

I wonder if my boss is secretly laughing at me.
    Seniority? Pension? phhhhhhht tongue

If I had joined in on the Y2K madness, maybe I would have some left-over survival supplies...

That is messed up! It would be terriblr if you got a promotion and then the world just ended!

12. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

The people who made that calendar that ends at 2012 have long been dead, right? Wiped out. So if they could not foresee their own community getting wiped off the map, why should anyone believe a stupid calendar they made?

13. mpurcell10 profile image62
    mpurcell10posted 14 years ago

The end of the world is going to come and there is nothing I can do about it.I can however enjoy every minute of life today until it comes. I could be hit by a car tomorrow and the way people drive around here that is more likely. I didn't hold my breathe during the y2k and I don't plan on it in 2012.

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

OMG Denno - you're right I am omnipresent all over the feed - its repugnant, isn't it - I'd better pipe right down now.  peep

15. profile image0

You're like a mist on these forums. You move faster-than-type!

1. mega1 profile image80

yes yes and the end of the world as I know it   - hmmmmmm - in considering that phrase I find that "as I know it" it would probably be no great loss were it to end "as I know it" . . .big_smile:

1. profile image0

Hmm, yeah, you run with that thought..... lol

1. mega1 profile image80

just what did you mean by that young man? (young sheep) lol

1. profile image0

And you're back! big_smile

16. Henrietta Chloe profile image58
    Henrietta Chloeposted 14 years ago

First they said it was going to be on year 2000, then 2002, now it's 2012? I quit believing stuff like this since the first one didn't happen.

1. profile image0

Well, there's always 2014, 2016, 2033(I made that up) big_smile

17. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

They also said it in the 60's and the 80's and the 90's.....
    They claim that the end is near when there is famine and wars and hunger and climatic changes---and that all has been happening since day one.

18. abcd1111 profile image61
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

Someone somewhere is always predicting the end. Eventually someone will be right just by chance.

Who will they share their moment of glory with? It's no fun if you can't say "I told you so!"

19. profile image0

But if you're the last person standing, that's no biggie, either. lol

20. abcd1111 profile image61
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

I assume if the world ends, nobody is left standing. And if someone is, I hope it's not me. I wouldn't survive for long without a computer.  smile

21. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

But seriously folks - I read somewhere that when all these different prophets were prophesying the END OF THE WORLD  the definitive phrase was "AS WE KNOW IT"  meaning that huge global changes would occur that would change forever the way we live together on the planet - not that the planet would just END!  So that could be true, actually, at least it seems to me  . . .

(fade out)  la♪la♪la

1. ncmonroe1981 profile image59
      ncmonroe1981posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's more useful to talk about the end of the "age" rather than the end of the "world." Even if we end up destroying ourselves...I think we'll still at least leave the world behind. wink

22. profile image0

Fire and Brimstone.

1. mega1 profile image80

now I'M confused!  heh heh

1. profile image0

la la la la.....

23. profile image0

The sun is predicted to exhaust all of its fuel in about 5 billion years or so. There's as good a route as any, too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)