Fellow hubbers are very interesting :)

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (44 posts)
  1. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

How many "religions" have you explored? Maybe having read books, or attending services, or participating in their practices?

My response: I have read books on New Age and Eastern religions, and Christianity in various denominations. I have met with others for seminars and luncheons sometimes knowingly and unknowingly. There are other religions I have done some minor reading on but lost interest. As for attending any services - only Christian ones.

Thank you, Holly smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

About 40, although many of them would not be considered a "religion." - varying from Native American Indian through "New Age" (misnomer), Wiccan, spent years practicing and teaching martial arts and exploring "esoteric," practices not associated with any religion such as Tarot, Crystal healing, spirit walks etc.

Not a big fan of organized religion as such.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If one seek after religion for truth, he is pursuing a daunting and futile task.

Truth is found only within the individual, only if he truly seeks after it.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I tried Muslim, I have a friend she invited me, Buddhism, Taoism, and other Christians too, am a Catholic at birth and until now

3. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

I have read about muslim and am a christian - a catholic

4. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Christian and Hebrew religion. Egyptcian, Kabbalah, Indian, Muslim, Satanism, Wikkan, Methaphisics.
    And all that because I don't believe in God.
    Never found a reliable God. No proof whatsoever. Only people hopping it would be real. People living in fear of a God. People having Faith in Messiahs and such.

Nothing to rely on.

I'm an Atheist.

5. wesleyacarter profile image58
    wesleyacarterposted 14 years ago

I was raised Christian. I went to Catholic school for a short period.

I studied Buddhism, though not closely.

I studied Islam, and prayed frequently, attending meetings and sacred events. Read the Qu'ran a few times as well as history books and such.

Shintoism, Taoism and other Chinese cultures I've read about in historical sense.

Now i think i would be classified as Agnostic, though there is no real definition for that.

That's all i've gotten so far.

6. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Quite a few, I must admit - Greek Orthodox Christianity, Islam, Zoroastrianism, Sikhism, Norse Paganism, Druidism are some. I always seem to end up drifting away into mysticism such as Sufism and Gnosticism - I was never the biggest fan of scripture and dogma smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is SUFISM, do you have your own church and following, are you rich now? just kidding SUFI

7. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I don't believe in Religion personally.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Religion of DENNO< with two sheeps cute ones

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A religion of my own? Uh.....nah, but thanks Maita. big_smile

1. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe in you denno!  but I don't worship you - might have to make a golden sheep to put up on an alter - and, no, but no - I couldn't do it with a straight face!

1. profile image0
            Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you trying to make Charlton Heston come back down that mountain again? big_smile

8. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I've studied more religions than I care to have, but resulted in my rejection of all religions. smile

9. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I love the Buddhist philosophy best but I don't claim to be a member of any religious group - it actually gives me the creeps - sorry!  I can say have explored about 4 or 5 different religions but I have also read about many more - enough to come to the conclusion that religious ways are often diverted by power seekers and easily become diluted and subverted by those who use gentle people for their own agendas of power and money.  So almost any faith that remains pure in the world is unadulterated by connection with a structured group.

10. h.a.borcich profile image60

I have an interest in better understanding other religions, but there is so much in print on them all. What single book would you recommend to gain a good understanding of a particular faith? Like for Buddhism or Wiccan, etc ?

And I have to correct my previous response...I have attended friends weddings that were either wiccan or pagan not sure which.

I do appreciate the honest responses and am grateful we are not fighting smile Thank you!

I don't think you can get a religion out of a book. wink

But Anodea Judith might give you some good Western, psychological perspectives on the Yogic approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodea_Judith

I certainly recommend "The Wheels of Life"

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Books are sometimes useful - I think that you have to understand the history and culture of a religion or belief: They tend to suit the environment from whence they sprang, which is one of the reasons why I do not like scripture.

Even better is visiting places: When I lived in Sweden, I could understand where the Norse Gods came from, in Ireland you can imagine the gods and goddesses of the Celts. Here in the Greek mountains, you can understand why the Ancient Greeks found spirits in the olive trees and angry gods in the mountains.

For myself, I have had a couple of people turn up at points in my life and they opened a door for me to explore within myself. I think that if you contemplate and explore your inner self, answers tend to turn up in the unlikeliest places.

Maybe spiritual, maybe the power of the subconscious mind smile

Mind you, I still have a helluva way to go big_smile

@Maita, my new disciple - send the cheque and the answers will be revealed big_smile

This. big_smile

I met a guy in a bar in Florida called "Roadkill." He had been killed on the road and resuscitated three times. And had a story to tell for each time.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80

Hehe - that sounds like an interesting dude! It is amazing how random people suddenly turn up smile

The first was my local vicar - just after I was confirmed Anglican, I decided to blame 'God' for the suffering in the world. He was a lovely guy and rather than tell me that I was going to hell, he encouraged me to read - Buddhism, philosophy and the like. Top bloke.

The second was a bloke in a pub - I was very drunk but he beckoned me over and said that he believed that I had the gift of faith healing. He put his hand over mine and showed me how to project energy into someone - pretty freaky when the lights started flickering hmm

The next lesson followed quickly and was how to turn it off!

I have a sneaking feeling that you might understand that from your Reiki smile

I do - I have had similar experiences. Most important was learning how to turn kundalini off. Not Reiki though - Not a big fan of that because no one really understands it and most of the practitioners I have met project their own stuff. It is absolutely vital to get yourself out of the way to be any good, and that is actually very difficult.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80

That was my problem - I had difficulty 'grounding' myself, hence the flickering lights. Now, I use crystals and they work for me smile

Somebody offered to teach me Reiki, but it did not feel right - maybe I had a lucky escape. Another friend tried to show me theKabbalah but, again, it did not feel right although we had a fascinating conversation where he tore Aleister Crowley to shreds lol

I think that is the key - the spiritual journey is personal and nobody can 'teach,' only guide.

I have noticed that since I started faith healing, I notice more - I can 'feel' the energy of the land, one of the reasons why I love the ancient Greek mountains. I have even started dowsing big_smile

EDIT: Holly - Glad that we have shared experiences. From your words, though, it looks like you might be overdoing things, and that can burn you out. If you want to shoot me a PM, I can give you a few tips - coming up to midnight here, so you might have to wait until morning for a reply.

I am pretty sure that MK may have some advice, too smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ha, I think there's a few of them living here...

I was raised as a christian, but have studied many religions in college, ended up with a minor degree in comparative religions.
          one big reason I am very tolerant, like sufi said, understanding the culture and history is important as to why people believe what they believe.  now I guess I would lean more toward Buddhism, but don't label myself as religious.

2. Greenheart profile image57
        Greenheartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sufidreamer.
        There is a teacher called Adi Da who is well worth having a look at.
        And some books.Well,The Knee of Listening is a good one.Also Easy Death.Anything by Adi Da in fact.
        See my hub on Adi Da for more information.
        Happy new year.
        And i hope you find what you are looking for.
        If you are looking!
        :-))

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I did take a religion class back in college but didn't really learn a lot from the teacher because the stupid teacher only talked about himself and hsi travels to the different places to learn more about the rligion. Hardyl discussed the religion at all. but I did read the book and enjoyed learning somewhat from the book. I myself am Catholic and have learned a lot about my own religion from school and classes I had to take. I also have talked to my friends who are of other religions and enjoy discussions WITHOUT fighting with them. we never fight just talk, me usually starting it because I am interested in learning more and ask questions. smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So very good to see you again ((Crazed)) - missed you!
        I haven't taken any classes to learn various religions, but I have been in Bible study groups. My friends and I talk about our respective faiths, but we always keep it friendly, too. It just doesn't get deep into it, rather we share more of how it is helping us individually. I just am curious and genuinely interested :)Good seeing you, Holly

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks Holly missed chatting with you too...I'll be in and out of the forums mostly out so I can concentrate on other thigns like writing, searching for a job, searching for houses and condos to check out so we can move out of this darn apartment big_smile

and it's fun when you get into civil discussions about religion huh? I think so anyways.

2. mega1 profile image78

a book called The Buddhist Philosophy of the Boddhidharma is very good, but a bit deep for understanding - Any of the books written by the Delai Lama are terrific - he has a very beautiful voice in his writing.    I also believe that looking at the paintings, sculptures, architecture and general artistic expression of all religions will bring a greater understanding of them - I remember as a child gazing at the stained glass window of Jesus holding a lamb with little children around him - it came to represent Christianity to me better than anything anyone could say!

12. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Hinduism Budhism Christianity Wicca Paganism Qabbalah Scientology  Judaism Islam

I am no fan of organized religion either.

13. h.a.borcich profile image60

Is Reiki a massage technigue or is it a religion? Seriously I don't know.
      Pretty interesting experiences Sufi smile
    I can relate. I have a strong intuition that I "tap" into when I need it, and I have had it all my life. Some think it is scary and demonic, but I look at it as a gift from God. Close friends don't freak out so much anymore when I tap into it, but they sure don't dis it either. Lights flicker, channels change and floors shake-honestly. Sometimes things get revealed I could not have known on my own. I just go with it.
      I also have been studying energy paths and healing among other type things as I am ill. In my opinion, it has helped as I had 1 life threatening bone lesion disappear - even Mayo clinic can no longer find it!! There is something to this and I try to learn more, but it is not easy with chemo brain.
    I will look for these books, and thank you for the help
       smile Holly

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I think I have converted to Hubinisim, it suits me fine. We are all gods here, kind of.

1. mega1 profile image78

You can't fool me - you're a Cubist - I can tell radical Cubinism anywhere!

2. Sufidreamer profile image80

lol

Sounds good to me - how much money do I have to send you so that I may join the Temple of Hubinism?

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello Sufi, it all goes to Mark I thought. LOL

15. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I grew up in a home that can only be described as religiously apathetic; no church, no god, no Bible...no one ever mentioned those things. I was left to make my own choices.

I ended up studying Christianity (in various forms: Catholic, Protestant, Gnostic, etc.), Judaism, Qabbalah (from the Western Hermetic viewpoint as well as from the Jewish mystical viewpoint), as well as Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, and Wicca. In addition, I've studied theosophy and quite a bit of philosophy (I know that's a huge range of stuff, but just lazy and don't want to list a bunch of types of philosophies). Suffice it to say, I like studying what people think of the universe, human nature, and divine nature.

1. mega1 profile image78

see, now that supports my theory that if parents don't mention things their offspring will eventually be more interested in them - my parents insisted I go to church every sunday but they didn't talk about it much - so I had a kind of lack of interest in Christianity, but very interested in everything else!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree: If parents don't force things on their children (even other than religion), they will naturally form their own interests and rational ideas--more importantly, they won't feel a need to rebel against things that aren't pushed on them. When and if they become interested in knowing who made the universe, they'll seek him out...and they'll find him, no matter which path they choose. His fingerprint is everywhere. smile

Edit: Interesting note: I later found out that both my parents claimed to be Southern Baptists yikes They did a very good job not influencing me in that way--religion had been forced on them.

16. profile image0

Gee, how'd ya know that? LOL

17. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I like reading any religious books in any religion, as there is enough inspiration for my art and some stories, even though it isn't true, it makes for some great fantasy fiction!

18. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

19. profile image0

Blinded by the light,
    revved up like a deuce,
    another runner in the night
    Blinded by the light,
    revved up like a deuce,
    Blinded by the light,
    revved up like a deuce,
    Madman drummers bummers,
    Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
    In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
    With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older,
    I tripped the merry-go-round
    With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin,
    the calliope crashed to the ground
    The calliope crashed to the ground

20. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

Ok this is opening a can of worms but they are gummy worms so its yummy smile
    As a kid my dad and step mom did not go to church or believe in any of that stuff. One day I asked my dad why we didn't go to church like the kids at school? He said it was because we don't believe that stuff but I could go if I wanted and he would take me. I started going to the closest church a Lutheran one and I liked it, they were friendly to a kid like me and I had fun. When my dad lost custody of me and I moved to live with my adopted family they were looking to convert to Judaism, but they sent me to catholic school. When they got divorced my adopted mom got a job on sundays doing child care during the services at the United Methodist church and I started going to their youth groups and bible classes. At one point I would go to church on fridays at school and sit through the service then go to a different service on the sunday. When the proverbial shit hit the fan and my adopted mom could no longer take care of me and I was in a foster home I started reading about wicca for the solitary practitioner and my foster mom said I should check out the unitarian church, so I did. They were awesome and I cried during the first service I attended. I have since read a lot about Buddhism and have the most respect for Buddhism. Now that I work at a school with a high muslim population I have had many pleasant chats with some of the moms about islam and would not convert but have respect for those moms as their conversations have been lovely. I think my church of present is the church of nothing in particular, it gathers when two or more people come together to discuss in a respectful and loving manner, God and its place of worship is planet earth. All are welcome smile

1. Sa Toya profile image83
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm right there with you.

I belong to no particular church but as you say when two or more are gathered together with love, respect, understanding and God here on earth is also the church I'm in.

I grew up in religion. My family was first Anglican, then Adventists. My extended family are Anglican, Baptists, Catholic,Hindu and Muslim. I went to a Catholic School, then an Anglican High School, then a Grammar School

I've read and learnt about  and I too have immense respect for it.
      I know a fair amount about Hinduism, Catholicism and Anglicanism, and Adventism.

I believe in God but have my own issues with religion but I love 'our' kind f Church
      smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)