Is Christianity the only religion with an immaculate birth - Maryʻs birth to chr

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. YogaKat profile image73
    YogaKatposted 11 years ago

Is Christianity the only religion with an immaculate birth - Maryʻs birth to christ.

I recently found that American Indians supported a similair belief through prophet Dekanwida.  My christian friend says christianity is the only religion where God reaches down to man. I would love to learn more from hubpages international community.

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 11 years ago

If I remember correctly, Horus, Mithra, Krishna, and Dionysus. They could also do most of the things Jesus did, healing, raising the dead, walk on water, water into wine, teaching, and some were killed and rose, called the son of God, had desciples.

1. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know of no false prophet who has claimed to have risen from the grave. It is true, however, that the magicians of Pharoh were able to perform magic tricks, counterfeiting the real miracles performed by Moses.

2. tussin profile image55
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those are excellent examples eternals3p. New religions are never created in a vacuum. They always borrow and steal from the older religions of the time.

3. eternals3ptember profile image60
      eternals3ptemberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't saying that they happened, just as I do not believe the birth of Jesus of Nazareth was immaculate, virgin. This is from a purely historical standpoint.

4. calynbana profile image78
      calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mithra was born full grown from a rock. I guess you could call a rock a virgin but that is a stretch imo. Horus was birthed by Isis a married woman, who would have consummated her marriage. When her husband died she used him to conceive Horus.

3. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

The pagan cult of Mormonism has a similar story. But, in their twisted version, "Elohim" came down to earth and had sex with Mary and fathered "Jesus", even though Elohim already was married. In this stead, he was an adulteror and fornicator. So, if you want false doctrine and sex scandals, look no further than your local LDS "church".

The Holy Bible clearly states that the "Holy Spirit" came upon Mary...not God the Father.

It is important to know all these little nuances because they all add up in the end and are the difference between following sound doctrine and following doctrines of devils.

1. tussin profile image55
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are no devils.  The teachings of Mormonism are no more false than what you consider real Christianity.  It is all an invention of man.

2. profile image0

Oh...okay, tussin, thanks for the heads up. My mind was spinning in utter confusion until you came along and added clarity to my life. From now on, I shall look to you for truth and moral guidance instead of the Almighty and His glorious Son.

4. tussin profile image55
    tussinposted 11 years ago

The virgin/immaculate birth was appropriated from other pagan religions that were practiced in the Middle East.  Much of the Old Testament is really just mythology from other religions repackaged as stories about ancient Jews.  Esther and Mordecai = Ishtar and Marduk is the most well-known and blatant examples, they didn't even bother to change the names in that one.

As for your Christian friend who claims that Christianity is the only religion in which  God communicates directly with man, he is obviously very undereducated about world religions and belief systems in ancient and modern cultures, or else very young and hasn't read much yet in his life.

1. profile image0

So many words...so little truth.

2. eternals3ptember profile image60

Are we talking about Tussin or the Bible?

3. profile image0

Tussin

4. eternals3ptember profile image60

After 4 days to cool off I realize I was an ass. I would like to apoligize for my comment here, CJ.

5. CR Rookwood profile image71
    CR Rookwoodposted 11 years ago

The Immaculate Conception is a theological tenet of Catholicism that states that Jesus, though human, was born without original sin. This is one of the central mysteries of the faith.

The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception does NOT mean that Jesus was conceived without Mary having sexual intercourse with anyone or anything (or any Deity), even though that's what most people think it means.

I don't know about Christianity being the only religion where "God reaches down to man". I don't think I would describe the birth and life of Jesus that way, but I know some Christians do, and loudly.

I would say that Buddhism is a religion that sees people as basically good, and therefore not in need of salvation. Suffering comes from attachment, and from a fundamental misunderstanding of what is going on. Freedom from suffering is available to every person who seeks it, and all Buddhists commit to releasing all sentient beings from suffering.

So if you are asking  whether there are other religions that reach out to all, I would say, yes, most of them do--at least at the level of practice.

It's at the level of theology, or thought, that people get into religious  arguments.

6. Ross Anziano profile image69
    Ross Anzianoposted 11 years ago

Christianity doesn't say to believe in trolls...but they exist. Tee hee.

7. YogaKat profile image73
    YogaKatposted 11 years ago

CR Rockwood - Thanks for your answer.  I did not know that Catholics had a different view of the Immaculate Conception . . . or is it YOUR conception that Christ was possibly not born of  "Holy Spirit" as the Bible says. If you believe differently from MOST people, as you say, write an interesting hub to share your veiws. I would love to read it.  I love Buddhism and meditation as a way of reaching UP to God.  Godʻs reach DOWN through Jesus is another path in my eyes.

CJSledgehammer -  Letʻs see if anyone has a prophet like Christ who has "risen from the dead."  I would like to hear about him.  I am totally with you on the Holy Spirit and Virgin Mary conception, that is what MY bible says. As far as your thoughts against Mormon theology - you should write a hub . . . I kinda agree with you and would love to hear your thoughts.

Eternals3ptember, Calynbana - Thanks for chiming in . . . are you talking about the Greek Gods before Christ?  What an awesome hub that would be.

Tussin - Thanks for your comments, could you please show me some history or sources that support your views?  Write a hub about them.  My Christian friend is an elderly lady fighting leukemia, she has found peacefulness through Christ all her life and her glass is half full.

8. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 11 years ago

Yogakat, your question has several dimensions.

First, in Catholicism, where these terms were defined, the Immaculate Conception is the birth of Mary (not of Jesus). It holds that there was no sin in the sexual activity of Mary's parents, and so Mary was the first person born (after Adam & Eve) without original sin. Being sinless, she was an appropriate mother to Christ through the Virgin Birth. Some sects of some religions (Catholicism being one) create structured theological systems & want them to be logically coherent. This theological line is an attempt to explain how a sinless man, 100% Divine & 100% human, could be born to a world where every human carries the burden of the sins of humanity at his or her origin.

Not all Christianity requires such theology. And not all Christianity needs to take the Bible literally. So one can be a Christian without agreeing with the Catholic doctrine of Original Sin. Once that happens the Immaculate Conception of Mary is irrelevant. And the idea that Mary was a virgin when Jesus was born is also disputed; the word translated as "virgin" can simply mean "young woman."

In all religions that have a God, God reaches down to humanity in many ways. In Judaism, God reached down through Noah, Abraham, and Moses, & lifted up the prophets & the kings. He inspires great teachers, like the Ba'al Shem Tov, and, 36 saints in each generation.

In Greek & Roman religions, gods made love to women and men, giving rise to great Heroes, and also elevated great men to the status of gods. Indeed, for those who do not take the Bible as a purely Divine creation, the Virgin Birth can be seen as a story to make a Jewish religious figure, Jesus, more popular among Greeks and Romans.

In Hindu tradition, every generation has Avatars, pure expressions of the Divine living a human life.

In modern New Age religion blending both Hinduism and Christianity, both Mary & Jesus are seen as Avatars. This is certainly a non-Christian faith that holds that Jesus was an immaculate birth, and so God is reaching down to man through Jesus, but not only in Christianity.

In Islam, God reaches down to every man and woman in response to prayer, and has sent the Hebrew Bible, the New Testament, the Koran, the Hebrew prophets, Jesus, and Mohammed.

Some Buddhism holds Buddha as God, and so see the historical Buddha as one way God came to us. In all Buddhism, the Divine reaches us through every breath, every flower & natural thing, & our own hearts every moment.

1. YogaKat profile image73
      YogaKatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SidKemp, thanks for taking the time to answer ALL the dimesions of my question and the facets raised by other commenters here as well. Your excellent and  thorough response leaves me spiritually enlightened.

2. CR Rookwood profile image71
      CR Rookwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow thank you! I had that almost (but not exactly) right. I learned something. Go, Sid. smile

3. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks YogaKat & CR. After I get out of the Apprentice Bonus program - 7 months - I hope to write more like this. In the meantime, know that their are aspects of Buddhist practice that parallel Christian models of grace, faith & works/

4. profile image51
      waxiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Absence of Sin in Sexual activity in Mary's parents that qualify her the candidate to bear Jesus as son is totally confusing Plz Sidkemp explain -Many Thanks

9. profile image51
    waxiposted 10 years ago

my lady friend who is an associate professor reported to me a few weeks ago that there are at least 60 ladies traced in history who were mother virgins If that is correct then Mother Mary was one of them.
    That;s all for now
    Waq

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)