Is Smoking an Addiction or a Behavior?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Moon Goddess1854 profile image60
    Moon Goddess1854posted 14 years ago

Quick Global Facts:

Top 5 Countries with Adult Population Smoking:

1. Nauru
    Continent/Region: Asia
    Population: 12,000
    % Adult Smokers:54%

2. Guinea
    Continent/Region: Africa
    Population: 8,154,000
    % Adult Smokers: 51.7%

3. Namibia
    Population: 1,757,000
    % Adult Smokers: 50%

4. Kenya
    Population: 30,669,000
    % Adult Smokers: 49.4%

5. Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Continent/Region: Europe
    Population: 3,977,000
    % Adult Smokers: 48%

In the US, currently 23.6 % of the adult population (283,230,000) smokes but in the 1950's it was over 50% of the adult population.

In UK, adult population is at 59,415,000 with 26.5% smoking tobacco. In the 1950's, 80% of the male population smoked.

Ref: Smoker's Stats, World Health Organization (2002)

For a simpleton mind like myself, I'm making a very simple analogy. Does that mean that X % of the adult population will be predisposed towards developing addiction to tobacco?

Does it also mean that X % of the adult population will have a higher risk for mortality and morbidity?

But let me get back to my main question posted in this forum. Is smoking an addiction or a behavior?

I know some people allege that it is easy to give up smoking at any time and others have a very hard time quitting. So, the stats seem to indicate that in some societies smoking is more tolerated than others which would tend to describe it as behavioral in nature.

On the other hand, some may reason that the decline is due to treatment programs for addiction.  This could describe why there has been a steady decrease in smoking in the US and the UK.

Points stated here are just to get the discussion started and does not necessarily reflect my opinion.

1. west40 profile image60
      west40posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I quit smoking 6 weeks ago - I needed a doctors help to quit and the drugs available  now work great on the addictive part - the problem I am having no is breaking the habits.  For many years, when I need a break from what I am doing, no matter what it is, I'd have a smoke - when I had a cup of coffee, I'd have a smoke - when I got in the car, I'd light up a smoke - those innocent behaviors still cause me to crave a smoke - I'm holding strong though!  Wish me luck.

2. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Its both

1. TheGlassSpider profile image65
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We agree! smile I'm not sure why it would have to be one OR the other; they are not mutually exclusive.

@Ohma: Former addict here: Free of cigs since Nov. 16, 1009...Had to have the help of a hypnotherapist...but ONE session did it.

Moon Goddess1854posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...that's a food for thought. Now I'm having a dilemma. big_smile

2. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The addictive part is easy to understand but the behavior is subtle and is usually missed. Telly Savales used a sucker to help him quit, its a matter of keeping your hand busy with something.

But then again, I have been smoking for 30 years, so what do I know.

Ditto for that.  Repetitive actions will definitely form a behavior and these are something we do not see or are even conscious about.  It is very subtle, like a thief stealing through the night.

Thanks for expounding. I appreciate it.

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

an addictive behaviour
    if you have to ask, you dont get it....

Smoking is described to us as an addictive behavior yet many people described addiction as a disease. Correct me if I'm wrong but a disease is not a behavior or I am totally off the chart here?

I just want to get people's opinion.

You're not totally off the mark...it just depends on who you talk to. Some people describe addiction as a disease (especially when talking about alcohol). Other people describe addiction as a lack of coping skills. I'm sure there are some other addiction models as well, but I just can't think of them right now.

2. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ummm
        I dont know. I get confused about the addiction is it real? is it a disease? stuff..sorry.

All I know is...addicition stinks.

4. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Addict Here!

I'm running a tally. Thanks Ohma..smile

5. profile image0
    Ken R. Abellposted 14 years ago

My opinion, based on my experience, is that nicotine is addictive. It is in fact, an insidious addiction because having a cigarette seems so innocuous. But before one knows it the body has become addicted. The addiction becomes behavior & creates this endless cycle that is difficult to break.

I smoked from 1969 to 1989. And for a two or three year period in the early eighties I chain smoked everything--cigars, cigarettes, pipes--to the point that the only time I breathed air was when I was sleeping.

I haven't had nicotine in twenty years, so the physical addiction is long gone, but the pyschological addiction remains. For me, once a smoker always a smoker.

Hey that's a very interesting response. I really like the way you have given factual information based on your experience.

I am actually interested on writing an article and I am using this forum as my springboard to gather information.

Thank you so much! smile

2. Moon Goddess1854 profile image60

Hey that's an interesting response, it's factual and based on your experience.

I am using this thread as my springboard to gather personal perspectives that will help me in preparing for an article here.

Thank you so much! smile

3. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definately addiction - and as you point out it is physical and psychological.

I am just quitting after 45 + years smoking and it is become a 2 year process.  I am down from 40 per day to a few per week and have just reached the point where I don't think about having one most of the time.  I have help in a partner who refuses to talk to me or touch me for two days if I even smell of tobacco smoke - without which I would not be able to quit.  Definately adiction.

Change is a difficult process. I commend you for your effort. I think it will not happen if you also do not will it to happen and it sounds like you really want it to happen. smile

2. profile image0
        Ken R. Abellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, man. Best wishes in your progress.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image65

Wow! That is AWESOME progress, ChinaMan! Keep up the great work smile You can kick the habit, I just know it!! smile

6. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Addiction can be difficult to think about. If we want to go by the medical definition of a disease, then we're talking about something that is either genetic or caused by a virus or bacteria.

I personally tend to lean away from this definition for addiction. That having been said, there DOES seem to be a genetic component to the processing of alcohol and a pre-disposition for becoming an alcoholic; who's to say this is not the case with cigarettes as well?

I prefer the idea that addiction is a lack of coping skills; this, at least, give us the empowering idea that we can do something about it, and gives us and idea of what should be done (i.e., learn better/different coping skills). Many addicts have been treated successfully with this model.

Interestingly, in order to be free of my cigarette addiction, as I mentioned before, I went to hypnotherapist. I have been free of the cigs ever since; in fact it seems as though I NEVER smoked. I never think about them, I don't crave them, and I never experienced withdrawal. What this says about addiction, other than that the power of the mind CAN overcome it, I'm not sure.

Interesting personal perspective. To be frank, I haven't really thought that it can also be lack of coping skills. I am becoming better educated on this topic.

This forum is giving me different ideas, perspectives and personal opinion which the statistics in academia are not able to fully describe.

Thank you also. smile

7. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

It's a substance abuse disorder and therefore is definitely an addiction if it meets the criteria set forth in the DSM-IV-TR. smile

http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disor … babuse.htm

Thanks for the link. smile

8. profile image58
    foreignpressposted 14 years ago

Too many factors at play here. Much depends on how long the smoker smokes, how deeply they inhale, genetic makeup, psychological factors and probably ten thousand other things. My dad smoked all through WWII and after and lived to the age of 88. Of course, he died of emphysema. But he didn't develop cancer or anything. I've smoked on and off for years. I might smoke for 3-4 months then quit for two years. It's never been an addiction. But then I've never deeply inhaled the smoke. I haven't had a cigarette now for two years. But my wife wants a divorce (after 26 years), so I might buy a pouch of Drum soon.
         The mind plays a big part in addiction I think. There have been times when I've wanted a smoke but I said "No, I'll take a walk instead." So discipline is a factor. Speaking of which, when I do smoke I allow myself one cigarette a day, usually at the end of the day. No more. But that's the key to anything, I think. It's called moderation. Whether it's salt, alcohol, chocolate, or cigarettes, moderation makes the difference in good health or bad. In fact, I'm of the opinion that most people can eat, drink, and smoke anything they want -- as long as it's in moderation. But, again, you have to have the discipline to know when to quit. And that involves listening to your body. Because your body will tell you many things if you just tune in to what it's saying. Yeah, I know, that's weird.
         And I also think that some people are predisposed to certain diseases like cancer. Some have died very early in life and it's attributed to smoking. Others, like my dad, live to an old age and smoke and drink to excess. Family history will reveal a lot. My (ex) wife has lots of cancer in her family so she's very careful about her environment and what she ingests.
         But I'm a very old man and in excellent health. In fact, I'm feeling so good right now I think I'll pour a brandy and have a smoke.

I'm a cancer survivor. Been diagnosed at the age of 26. Skirted death and I smoked after I had my chemotherapy. Now I'm hitting my 40's soon,  I think I'm going to join you. I'm bringing scotch. smile

9. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I tried everything and haven't managed to give up smoking yet, though I really know I should!  I'd say it's an addiction.

How long have you been smoking and what made you start picking up the habit? Just curious. smile

10. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

I think it makes sense that it's a behavior that usually turns to an addiction because of the addictive substances in smoking materials.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, true!

2. Moon Goddess1854 profile image60

I guess some people are more predisposed to addiction because of the kick they get which eventually becomes a habit.

11. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

Smoking is both an addiction and a behavior. People have a hard time giving it up because it is both. People who try to give it up don't know what to do with their hands half the time because they are so used to holding a cigarette - that is behavior. There is more to the modern smoke than just nicotine and tar. There are chemicals put in to make the experience more addictive. If they have in recent years been taken out then people's past experiences with these additives have still added to their addiction.

12. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

both

13. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

its both ... but i think i am more addicted than anything

Thanks for piping in pinkylee. smile

I'm running a tally..smile

14. figment profile image74
    figmentposted 14 years ago

Its more of a habit for me, but I'm sure the nicotine doesn't help me from quitting.  I'm more of a social smoker, but I love my MJ

1. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah think its more a habbit for me too ... i can go hours without one if im not thinking about it lol but this is making me think about it ... gonna have one lol

15. Glenn S. profile image61
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

I started smoking when I was 11. I quit when I was 30. Twenty plus years later I still want to have a smoke most every day. Is it a habit, yup, it can be beat. Is it an addiction, yup, one that will stay with you a very long time.

Fig... MJ? did I miss something

16. Glenn S. profile image61
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

MJ ?

I'm assuming MariJauna...But I could be wrong. You know...Mary Jane?

1. profile image0

thats what i know it as lol

I can't figure anything else it would be in a "smoking" thread.

1. profile image0

me either ... BTW **wavin my legs at my favorite spider**

Hehehe *waves many legs back* Maybe we'll start a new Hub greeting smile We're going to have spread the word in the Tribe.

1. profile image0

lol i know right

1. Glenn S. profile image61
                  Glenn S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Somebody is smokin somethin... From MJ to waving their legs around. lol
                  smile

2. Fluffymetal profile image75
      Fluffymetalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes chronic.  I love my Mary Jane.

17. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

If you realy want to quit, just do what I did; Quit your job, move out of town and start allover again. Because if you don't everyone that you know will bug you to death to start up again.

Yes, I know the ole "one more wont hurt you."  and they wont stop until you start up again.  big_smile

18. pooja0908 profile image60
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

It depends on persons.
    For addictive person it is behavior and for well mannered person it is addiction

19. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

Additction and Habbit... have fine line to cross for this subject.

I agree. Judging from the responses this thread had been getting.

20. efeguy profile image42
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

both.

some are addict why some do it for fun n later turn a behaviour

21. profile image0
    IĆ°unnposted 14 years ago

I'd call it a choice.

22. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Addiction and habit and lack of coping skills. I have quit a few times and have horrible side effects. Nicotine replacement seems to help somewhat with keeping my system regulated, but then there is the habit side that is hard to get over. The nicorette inhaler helps with that. Even with those two I get really stressed without cigarettes. If anything goes wrong all the other treatments seem to fail and I grab a smoke. It's not that I started out without the coping skills. I replaced them with smoking over the years because whenever anything was good or bad I put a cigarette in my mouth and now everything is associated with smoking.

23. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 14 years ago

Its both.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)