Tobacco smokers are, without exception, drug addicts.

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (105 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Every cell of a mokers body is saturated with the deadly poison: nicotine and other corporation induced noxious poisons.
    The lungs are imbued with a gluey, black sludge  which causes he body to produce disgusting, stinky pleghm. This is ejected through the mouth into an unacceptive public environment. Smokers  stink. Their breath is an offensive, miasmic stench.
    They should be treated with no more respect than any other abuser of drugs.
    I avoid  them like the plague.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just wondering, do you avoid people who eat fast food regularly like the plague as well?  They're filling their bodies with toxins as well, and there is evidence that it is addictive.  It also makes your breath and sweat smell.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maddie: We're not speaking of food. I thought that was obvious.
        Food is a necessity. Addictive tobacco smoking is not. It is a "choice."

1. Never_Forget profile image59
          Never_Forgetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fast food is not a necessity. It, too, is a choice.

2. Sundaymoments profile image60
          Sundaymomentsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes food is necessity; however over indulging is a habit that creates a sickening smell of sweat from the obesity of the body. Furthermore when one overindulges in food this creates major health issues creating our health care to increase just like smoking alcohol and various other diseases smile

1. qwark profile image61

Sunday...I agree, but the subject is nicotine addiction.
            Food will be another hub forum subjet.

3. theherbivorehippi profile image66
          theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Food is a necessity but no one says that you have to eat unhealthy, greasy food.  There are a lot of things that pollute the human body other than cigarettes.  To say that these people should not be treated with respect shows the kind of person that you are.  I am not a smoker but I was for a very long time and I agree that it is a disgusting habit but the habit does not define the person.  They still deserve respect.  On the other hand...I truly have no respect for you or your post.

4. Elpaso profile image59
          Elpasoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will assume you cured cancer, got grandma her retirement money back, and can account for all the troops we sent to war are alive and well and home in their beds...Right?

2. Tom Cornett profile image81
      Tom Cornettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow...I've heard Baptist preachers make the same kind of judgements....did you convert?  smile

1. qwark profile image61

Gee tom...do ya think that 2 1/2 yrs in baptist seminary has effected me so?   lol
        I do "judge." Hell the "lord" shouldn't have all the fun! Besides that Tom, my undergraduate studies in human biology, kinda caused the reason for this attitude....the devil didn't do it...lol thanks for responding.

1. secretmemoir profile image62
          secretmemoirposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my mother swapped her smoking addiction for food addiction and God addiction

3. profile image52
      gkrooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is psychologically offensive to me; it really is.  There is a reason for smoking tobacco.  Saying that tobacco smokers are drug addicts is pointing the wrong finger of the wrong hand to the wrong person.  Sure, tobacco has been exploited to make people smoke it, but go out there and smoke anything else and see how long you will do it.

1. qwark profile image61

gkroo...sorry about that...sometimes the "truth" is hurtful.
        That's just a reality of life..

1. profile image52

There are no drugs in tobacco.

1. profile image52

There are additives that can be used to kill people, insects, etc.  There is an additive to make tobacco taste like coffee- lol - coffee has caffeine - lol.
            Smokers of nicotine and drinkers of caffeine.

Sue!  Sue!

1. qwark profile image61

gkroo...if thats what you'd like to believe, hey NP!
              " According to the American Heart Association, nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break, while the pharmacological and behavioral characteristics that determine tobacco addiction are similar to those that determine addiction to drugs such as heroin and cocaine."
              Another response like there's no addictive drugs in tobacco will make you eligible for my list of no response to those who have nothing to offer of value.

2. Lisa HW profile image60
              Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nicotine and caffeine may be drugs or have some similarities to drugs.  Aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen are all drugs.  All of these things are legal.  All are known to not to be the healthiest thing in the world.  If you want to throw the non-drugs of junk food, driving like an idiot, overloading your electrical outlets, you've got a bunch of stuff that is hazardous to the person who does it (or people around them).

The difference is that they don't affect people's minds to the point where the person behaves in a way other than "in his own, clear, head".   Another difference is who sells them and that whole picture.  Another difference (with drugs and alcohol) is that they change the personality, make for dangerous drivers, and do any number of other things can happen when a person has altered his mind and reaction time (or at least "doped it up" so he's not clear-headed).

Anyone who doesn't see the difference had better not take any of those standardized tests that test reasoning ability, and that ask, "Which of these is different?"  People who don't want to see the difference are often people who want to feel better about the fact that they use illegal drugs (or legal ones that make a person not clear-headed)

I'm not defending smoking, saying it's "great", or even saying it's good that tobacco is legal.  I'm just pointing out the very obvious difference between nicotine and, oh, let's say, marijuana, cocaine, or whatever other drugs there are out there.

People who spend their brain time thinking up who "we" ought to shun usually have a need to "shun" someone in order to feel superior to "at least someone".  I say let's shun people who don't mow their lawns, people who aren't brilliant parents, people who don't have a PhD, people who wear too much eye-makeup, people who wear cologne, people who make my world uglier by wear ugly clothes, people who mess up their kids' heads, people who eat meat, people who use cleaning agents to clean their house - and on and on and on and on. (sarcasm, of course).

Smokers are out of public buildings now.  If someone doesn't like that a guy stands in front of some building and smokes out into the exhaust-filled, wood-burning-stove-filled, and otherwise less than pure air and world; I think someone is spending a little too much time on his need to "shun" someone.  My father-in-law, a life-long smoker (outside in the last part of his life) died at 81 of the same congestive heart failure my mother (a life-long non-smoker, non-drinker, non-meat-eater) died of at 77.    He was a  kind and decent individual who was farm from "the type" to be thinking about who he could "shun".  I'd rather live in a world of people like my father-in-law than in a world full of a whole lot of other kinds of people.  (Besides, for the record, this was a man who had quite smoking in his later years but started smoking again when his little 20-month grandson died suddenly.  He used that "drug" of nicotine to help him deal with a grief he wouldn't live long enough to live beyond.

2. theherbivorehippi profile image66

What exactly is your definition of a drug?  Just wondering.

4. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we are "Drug Addicts" as stated, then why are we not arrested for "Substance Abuse" Alcoholics are busted, narcotics users and synthetic drug users are arrested, but Nicotine users, nope, no way! If smoking is that dangerous that it can kill someone, why are we not charged with attempted suicide, and if second hand smoke kills, then why has not one smoker been arrested and convicted for manslaughter or attempted manslaughter as a smoker.

5. Thumb86 profile image60
      Thumb86posted 13 years agoin reply to this

are you serious re: the original post.

If so, then I say...LOLLLLLL

we are drug addicts, yes. We abuse a substance. But your whole nazi-esque, sub-human rant was absolutely ridiculous. It did have a lot of comeidic value though.

2. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

I am one of those stupid chain smokers but i still highly agree with you

1. qwark profile image61

Thanks for being honest...:-)

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

YOu'd be happy to know I have never smoked or lit a cigarrette, or any type of smoking device. smile I smell like the beach according to my husband. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Nor have I klara....never even been tempted.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone in my family by my mother's side are smokers. But I've never been tempted. I've always found it unnecessary, a waste of money and health.

1. qwark profile image61

All my family smoked.
          My mother always smelled disgusting.
          That may have been a reason for not ever being tempted.
          Good for you Klara!

1. profile image0

My husband is just like me - he has never smoked and everyone else in his family smokes. Now, I'll tell you how this has affected me. My mother, not knowing the consequences of smoking, smoked while being pregnant of me. I spent my childhood suffering asthma attacks where they had to rush me to the hospital because I was turning purple. My mother died of lung cancer and my father died of a heartattack. All caused by their excesive addiction to cigarettes.

2. Sundaymoments profile image60
      Sundaymomentsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile God I stopped smoking three years ago and certainly I can say that I can taste food and I can smell the freshness of my own home and certainly people are more willing to be around me and my home sad

3. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thats great

4. theherbivorehippi profile image66

I think I threw up a little reading this post.

1. profile image0

LOL

I won't argue with you. YOu can insult me all you want. I won't lower to your level, girl.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66

Oh yes..because I must be so far underneath you...I mean, since I actually have an opinion.

1. profile image0

You are right hippie. You have an opinion. You win. Happy now? I told you - I won't argue.

5. theherbivorehippi profile image66

I feel quite sorry for your husband since you are always on here begging for marriage proposals in the religious forums.  what a joke.

1. profile image0

It's called having a sense of humor. Sorry you don't know what that is.

1. qwark profile image61

Klara...put a nasty spell on her....DO IT!   :-)

lmao...her spells could never compete.

1. profile image0

Girl, I swear I don't know what I've done to you for you to get like that. Whatever it was - TRUCE. I am not here to argue with anyone.

Oh, I'm not trying to argue. I just think you are weak and even more annoying than qwark.  At least he has an opinion even though I think he is quite ignorant.  You NEVER have an opinion.  That's just aggravating.  It must be difficult trying to please everyone all the time. No truce needed.  Just my observation

1. profile image0

I do have an opinion, I just don't find a need to confront people when they don't see things my way. As far as the religious forums, I used to participate, but once I met the atheists, I realized it was a waste of time trying to argue with them. I won't achieve a thing by trying to explain my way of thinking to someone who is not willing to have an open mind. So, I joke with them all the time. They know I don't share their views but we respect each other and leave each other alone. If that's not having an opinion, then you are entitled to think that way. If that's kissing As$ to you, then by all means - I am. I know who I am and how I think. Others' opinion of me is not my problem.

Oh ...there it is...you lowered yourself to my  insulting level.  Congratulations.

4. Never_Forget profile image59
    Never_Forgetposted 13 years ago

I agree that smoking is disgusting and is the same as being addicted to drugs. But I highly disagree with you that everyone should treat smokers like dirt just because they have an addiction. If anything, you should be pissed off at the government for allowing cigarettes to even be sold.

Most smokers are well aware of how bad it is for them. Obviously if it was just so easy to quit when you realize it's bad for you, there wouldn't be so many smokers.

The fact that you have never even been tempted to smoke is admirable, but it doesn't make you a patron saint nor does it give you the right to look down on others.

People like you are worse than smokers.

1. Never_Forget profile image59
      Never_Forgetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Also, everyone has an addiction. That's just how humans are. There are tons of addictions out there that are terrible for your body and still legal. Alcohol, fast food, medicine, caffeine, etc.

What exactly was the point of this thread any way? We all know smoking is disgusting but you apparently are trying to start some kind of hate club.

Sounds like you need a smoke buddy.

1. qwark profile image61

Never forget...great reply! ty. :-)
        Smoking anything is a personal choice. Why should the gov't be involved except to warn you of the deadly effects?
        If one understands the potential dangers of smoking and chooses to smoke...so be it. I don't hate the smoker, I just choose to keep my distance from them. If they are living a death wish and accept the deadly possibilities, they are living freely and making choices. I have no problem with that. I'd love to see tobacco outlawed, but that's just willful hopeing.
        The point of this thread is to create chatter...pros and cons in print. Is that ok with you?

You say you don't hate them but in your OP you say that they should be treated with no more respect than any other drug addict.  That is just wrong.  If you want to start a discussion on the topic...start a discussion..don't be disrespectful in how you go about it and put down people that you don't even know.

1. qwark profile image61

Theherb:
            disrespectful?
            isn't poisoning the body being very disrespectul to it!
            I do not respect the smoker.
            I do not associate with drug abusers. I, of course, include the tobacco smoker. If it walks like a duck....you know the rest of that. Nicotine is a very deadly drug. Highly addictive.
            If one knows this and continues to smoke, why should I care? if they wish to play Russian roulette, who am I to care? When they die of cancer or drug related problem, who am I to care. They make the choices and suffer from them...who am I to care?
            THEY ARE DRUG ADDICTS AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH.

Deleted

1. qwark profile image61

Theherb: I appreciate you being candid.
                That is why I ask these questions. I want the pros and cons.
                I don't believe I even intimated that I was "better" than anyone. I've just made a choice, as a free man, not to associate with drug abusers. What is disgusting abut that.
                I do not desire that all smokers die! We all die! I don't want to associate with those whose lack of intelligance and will, endanger their lives and the lives of others.
                By the way tobacco smoking is not a "habit." It is a full blown addiction.
                I appreciate your response...:-)

1. profile image0
                  ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, did he lack intelligence too?
                  http://www.old-picture.com/american-history-1900-1930s/pictures/Einstein-Albert.jpg

1. qwark profile image61

Ralwus: of course he did! Many men are genius at what they do but don't live intelligently.

2. lrohner profile image68
              lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And just how is that? I mean, the way they should be treated?

2. rmr profile image68
          rmrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Based on the original post, it sounds more like the point of this thread was to spew contempt toward a particular group of people. When you say that smokers are addicts and should be treated as such, I wonder exactly how you think they should be treated.

1. qwark profile image61

Smith: you didn't think that out well. If one is sick and needs to become an  addict to live, again that is his choice, but the purpose for their taking is is life saving....not detrimental to it..

2. qwark profile image61

rmr...thanks for asking. Since it's a legal addiction, but can be detrimental to others health, others should keep their distance for the sake of their own health. It's a deadly addiction which can jeopardize the lives of others.

3. secretmemoir profile image62
          secretmemoirposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the problem with smoking is that everyone else gets to breathe it too.  I remember as a child being exposed to my mother's smoking - it made me feel unwell

5. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

i am a black ship, nobody smokes in my family.

1. qwark profile image61

Saleheen: I know ya mean "black sheep," right?
      I wish ya a good future. You are a "free" man making free choices and living with them. Good luck!   :-)

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I would be interested in knowing where the lost revenue will come from when tobacco is banned from the USA. Next will be whiskey?

7. profile image0

Nah, we'll never ban Whiskey!

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not, it has the heaviest tax of all. There was even a little rebellion caused by that.

8. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I've tried smoking a few times, but it never really satisfied me. I find it curious that tobacco cigarettes are legal but marijuana isn't, even though I'm not aware of studies that show a positive benefit to smoking tobacco other than a short-term feeling of pleasure. At least marijuana can increase appetite (a good thing for some, bad thing for others) and THC has been shown to decrease the likelihood of some types of lung cancer. Tobacco just rots your body from the inside out.

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I don't agree witht he conclusuon that drug addicts should be shunned, insulted and treated badly. They are people and all people deserve a level of respect.  Some people smoke, I drink alcohol and coffee occassionally.  No one is perfect.

10. profile image0

Maybe qwark will enjoy this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE

1. qwark profile image61

Ralwus...oh yes...lol Ido remember those TV ads from the old days...smoking was the height of sophistication...john wayne had 1 lung removed, kept smoking and it killed him...oh yes i  do remember those days my friend we thought they'd never end, we'd sing  and dance ...on and on...lol

11. profile image0

LOL now the Bunkers. hehe but this is a song.

12. profile image0

I think he already answered that rmr.

13. J.R. Smith profile image59
    J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

Since this forum was for causing dissension,anyway,let me join in. Are diabetics who take insulin considered drug addicts?

14. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

Hi Ralwus. Since he felt strongly enough to put it in all caps, further down in the thread, it seemed as if there was more to say on the matter.

I've known a lot of addicts on my lifetime. Mostly good people in bad situations. It just gets my blood up when I hear someone say that these people should be shunned or disrespected.

1. qwark profile image61

rmr I both shun and disrespect them.

They disrespect themselves by poisoning themselves willfully.

You are such an annoyance.

1. qwark profile image61

theherb...No problem. I love to annoy.  Keeps the action going in this forum which has been dead for days now.
          Your opinions are part and parcel of my want to annoy..
          thanks...:-)

2. rmr profile image68
        rmrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Alcohol would have killed me many years ago if everybody thought that way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Since I try to treat all people with respect, I'll keep mine to myself at this point.
        Have a great day, qwark.

1. qwark profile image61

rmr...I do this to ellicit your response. thanks tho for your thoughts...:-)

3. Lisa HW profile image60

Well then, you can be "proud" (???) of your need to feel superior to other people.  I suspect there's a few things you do that people around you would like to shun, as well.  For example, I think  people who want to "shun" anyone ought to be shunned as people.   roll

15. profile image0

EVERYBODY NEEDS TO TAKE A CHILL PILL AND LEAVE QWARK ALONE!
    I'M HIS BODYGUARD AND KICK SOME SERIOUS A$$ IF YOU DON'T STOP IT RIGHT NOW! lol

That should work, Qwark. hahaha... wink

Whatever..like he's not bringing this on himself.

2. qwark profile image61

ahh deep bow Mrs Klara...this ninja ready for all battle! No need help from powerful wonder person!
      The "gods" will be with me as I do battle with the poorly armed and trained advocates of the deadly scourge of nicotine addiction and poisoning.
      ...but I am deeply in your debt for offering you super powers.
      >-)

oh yes Mrs Klara who is always in every forum either kissing someone's ass or flirting with someone but never has an opinion of her own to offer to any topic because she has no balls.

1. profile image0

You are right hippie... I have no balls. I AM A WOMAN!

16. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The entire subject is meaningless and disrespectful in nature.

Hey Qwark, I hope you're proud of yourself, yet again. The ignorance displayed in this thread is a good reason for why the world is the way it is.

You know, sometimes you touch on good subjects, but then again, you just love to make people feel inferior to you're mentality. However, you've just arrived at yet another lower level for yourself.

End of story. Enjoy!

And yes, by all means, spew some more negativity. It seems that is all you're great at doing. So, yeah, respond and have the last word.

1. qwark profile image61

Hi Cags: Damn! I love it! These are the kinds of replies that keep action going on the "forum!"
      Ya gotta admit I try Cags.
      Optimist? pessimist? who cares as long as we keep the action hot and heavy!
      I don't mind negative responses intended to insult me. Not at all. I can't be insulted...pure and simple.
      Oh yes CAgs, I'll be the first to admit my ignorance. I'm very aware of it and am always seeking input.
      Cags, I have a question for you. what is it that makes you think/feel that I am trying to make others feel inferior to my mentality? I always function at a low level of human knowledge.
      You must admit that we humans haven't even reached the first rung of our evolution into what our potential truly is.
      I'm just having fun passing the time of day with all forum participants. except for those on my long list  of folks who have nothing of value to offer. You arent on the list yet. I read your comments and take many of them with a grain-of-salt.
      I hope this isn't the last word!
      We exist amongst a human population that IS negative. I'd like to see you dispute that in print.
      Thanks for the response Cags......:-)

17. J.R. Smith profile image59

There's another reason to not smoke...it causes catfights.

1. profile image0

lol

Since neither one of us smokes I'm pretty sure smoking was not the cause.

18. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I've written a nice hub on tobacco smokers...ya might enjoy it...:-)

http://hubpages.com/hub/qwark61

19. J.R. Smith profile image59

I do love that smoking has been forbidden in restaurants,bars and many other places. The truth is people have a right to smoke,no matter how dumb a choice it is. Plus, the healthcare industry relies on it, as well as the state. It has to be the most taxed item.

20. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

drug:  "A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction."

21. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction

The question was directed at the person who thinks that cigarettes are not drugs.

Anyway though...according to your definition, we can add caffeine, aspartame and nutmeg to the list of drugs as well.  Since they are either addictive, can cause withdrawal and then of course..nutmeg can cause hallucinations when taken in correct dosages.  Do you agree?

Is it not just as disrespectful to your body to use shampoo, soap, deoderant etc with cancer causing chemicals?  Chemicals that can cause respiratory issues, eye problems, etc.?  I'm just wondering.   What makes smoking any worse than hurting your body with any of these things?

1. qwark profile image61

theherb...I know.
        you are correct. There are many things which can be determined to be a drug...and legal drugs. If taken to extremes they maybe addictive and dangerous.
        Nicotine happens to be one of the deadliest drugs known to man. So highly addictive that it is harder to come off of than heroine. It is taken internally and slowly destroys the organism which uses it...and can harm others who breath the deadly fumes.
        I have not yet, in my 60+ yrs of life heard of multi-millions of people being harmed by using nutmeg, soap or deoderant.
        if you are serious and can't discern the difference in use between tobacco and nutmeg, soap or deopderant, then I can see no possible use in discussing the subject of this forum title with you...can you!    :-)

Well I am F-ing serious.  Kids are dying from nutmeg overdose in the past couple years...you can snort it, eat large quantities, add it to other drugs like mushrooms smoothies and candy flip.  I use to do it many years ago.  It is a true statement to make.  I just did a study on the 93 health issues that are caused by aspartame...that is in a lot of products....that is just as much a drug and harmful to your body too. 

There is a reason why people die from cancer and have never smoked.  There are endless reports and studies on how harmful personal hygiene products are.  I personally am a vegan and I do not USE one product with ANY chemicals in it.  I could very easily say that I don't care when people die from using chemicals or die of heart disease from their poor diet but that is WRONG.  It is not right to assume that you are better than someone because you don't smoke or say that they do not deserve any respect when you may not be living you life respect worthy either in the eyes of others.

Do I think smoking is horrible.  Absolutely.  Do I agree it is a drug...absolutely.  I have done nearly every type of drug in my "drug phase" of my life and I will say that smoking is one of the hardest ones to quit.  That doesn't not meant that I didn't deserve respect and that does not mean anyone smoking right now doesn't deserve respect.  Smoking does not define the person that they are.  It is merely an addiction.

I know you think it is a joke posting an OP like that but to say that you don't care if these people die from cancer is cruel because people reading this have lost friends and family members to cancer.  Do you think our grandparents really realized just how deadly smoking was?  My grandmother smoked for a very long time and once she started becoming familiar with new studies that it was dangerous she quit and then ended up with lung cancer.  Did she deserve to die?  Absolutely not....she never knew the health issues were so serious back then. 

I just think that the topic could have been approached differently.

1. qwark profile image61

theherb...we all die. Some short lives, some long. 100 yrs of life is but blink in geologic time. How one wishes to live those short yrs is no one's business but their own. 40k people a yr die in motor vehicle accidents just in the USA. Some may die injesting mushroom or nutmeg. That's their decision. Smoking a deadly drug of any kind is personal choice. If it kills them, that was their choice.
            I respect "intelligent" human beings. I have no respect for those who have no respect for themselves. The smoker of tobacco has no respect for his body or his life or the lives of others.
            Human life is not a miracle, it is but the result of time and evolution. Human life is only precious to the owner of it. How he handles it is, again, a personal decision which concerns me not.
            I am not an altruist. I am a selfish, survival minded human creature doing my best to survive in a very dangerous world.
            Smoking might kill me. So I don't do it and I don't respect those who like to play roulette with their lives.
            That's just me......:-)

1. Lisa HW profile image60

Well, I've actually interviewed some smokers for an article years ago.  Many said they had started smoking as teens and never been able to quit.  (Science now knows that the teen brain is not mature, and risk-taking is part of that physiologically immature thinking.)

Also, there are people who have awful things that have happened in their lives.  Things so awful, memories so awful, they find they need to control whether or not they let those memories/thoughts "come to the surface" because if/when they do the person finds it so unbearable he feels like he's losing his mind or can't bear to live another minute with those thoughts.

Some people run off to get a prescription for medication (which has potentially seriously side effects).  Some smokers feel safer taking the longer term risk and planning to quit "at some point" later.

Some people hit the wine or whiskey (and become alcoholics as a result).  Smokers I've talked with said they didn't want to risk that kind of addiction and all it can bring.

Some eat junk food when stress makes dealing with horrible stress, loss, and thoughts difficult.  When I did research for a couple of other articles, doctors actually recommended people eat and get their bodies out of the stress-response, because that's healthier than staying in that high-stress mode any longer than necessary.

Sure, it would be nice if people could process some of those horrible things they live with without using anything; but if anyone has lived with that level of "horror" or stress, he'll most likely understand how it can be so bad a person needs that " something" if he's to continue functioning (and being "strong" for his family, and often children).

So, sometimes it is precisely because a person DOES value his health, mental health, family, and all those other important things that he choose to take the risk of smoking cigarettes over a whole lot of other options.

22. J.R. Smith profile image59

That's a good  question.

23. profile image0

qwark wants to have some fun. Ok, let's play horse. I'll be the front end and you be yourself. wink

1. qwark profile image61

ralwus...lol been called worse! Just don't forget to call me when it's dinner time...ok?  :-)
      Ya gotta admit, this subject got allota attention and created some pretty good responses...nasty and otherwise..Thats what the forum is for i.e. playtime for the bored...lol  :-)

24. profile image0

well, be careful and don't take it to extreme now, you're on the line almost. Peace.

1. qwark profile image61

ral...pour us a drink! I'm always on-the-line....lol

25. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Just a passing thought. Has anyone ever heard of malignant melanoma.
    Smoking is bad and causes cancer but you know what so does living. As far as shunning smokers that is your choice of course but it really makes little sense to say that you shun them because you know they are choosing to die. Death is part of the natural order of life and it is going to happen to all of us.

26. Tatjana-Mihaela profile image50
    Tatjana-Mihaelaposted 13 years ago

All that hate and anger because of smoking...WOW! This high level of animosity you show can be explained  as trauma from your childhood you cannot overcome: you said -
    "All my family smoked.
    My mother always smelled disgusting."

1. Lisa HW profile image60

..but, was your mother a kind, good, mother who loved you and got you to become a good, decent, caring person?   (I'm not really looking for an answer here.  Just posting the question for you to consider.)    (By the way, if she wasn't, then I'd say smoking was least of her and your problems.  If she was, then maybe factor that in if you found the smell of smoke on her clothes all that offensive.)

27. Elpaso profile image59
    Elpasoposted 13 years ago

As long as I have to sit on a crowded NYC Subway next to some Garlic sucking fool that is making my eyes bleed; I will have to ask you to mind your business about my smoking a ciggarette a much more further distance from you.

28. Never_Forget profile image59
    Never_Forgetposted 13 years ago

I didn't realize HubPages had such relentless trolls. Give it a rest qwark. You don't respect smokers and now that you've made that point clear nobody respects you. Whatever you were trying to accomplish, you failed.

You keep saying "we all die". OK, so if you know that then why don't you realize....that...WE ALL DIE!? You risk dying every time you walk out of your house. I could quit smoking today and get in a car accident tomorrow. Why would you be so disrespectful to a group of people that happen to make different choices than you?

Do you walk around with a helmet and a bullet proof vest every day? Oh you don't? Why not? What a piece of trash you are. Do you eat a perfect diet and exercise regularly? No? I would spit in your face if I could. You obviously have no respect for your life.

Your opinions are ignorant.

29. gmrfish profile image61
    gmrfishposted 13 years ago

No one forces you to breathe in the smoke.  I'm not a cigarette smoker, but cigarette smoke does bother me.  Move/go somewhere else.  No one is holding a gun to your head making you stay next to the person smoking.  You're problem is that you're a sheep qwark, you cry and complain and follow but you don't do anything about it. I smoke cigars, but I don't smoke around people who may not and always pick areas where the smoke does not bother other people.  Just plain common courtesy and common sense if you ask me.  Like other people said, you can compare this to ANYTHING (junk food, hardcore drugs, porn addiction....).....it's an addiction, just like biting your nails.  If you're so perfect then why don't you share with us your secrets instead of bashing other groups?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)