Working mothers

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

In your own opinion. Do you think a Busy Working Woman can be a
    good mother?

With Mother's Day coming soon, how do you feel about this topic? I have always worked at least part time while my children were growing up. They all turned out pretty decent IMHO. Some feel that mothers should be home with the children. What about you?

1. LarasMama profile image60
      LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great question. Since I have an opinion on anything baby related,  here goes:
      *I read a study that says that children whose mothers work part time are better adjusted than SAHM or Fulltime - I think because of the fact they learn to interact with others but also have the security of seeing mum regularly.
      *I have a 6 month old baby, currently working part time (2-3 days/week), doing external university course, writing a manuscript and spending the rest of my time cleaning house or writing hubs! So yes, it is possible. I'm also breastfeeding, so that is also possible.

2. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good mums are good, and not-so-good mums also, not because they work,or don't work. I think it varies from one to another.But I do think it's harder for the ones that work.
      In MHO, mums are unsung heroines (is that right spelling?) all the same.

2. cupid51 profile image69
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

I had a opinion that the home-stay mothers are better for the kids, but I am impressed by the theory of LarasMama. I think I should change my opinion!

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you should change your opinion just because of one study...there are plenty others out there with the opposing opinion! smile

I was a SAHM--all three of my kids have distinct and very outgoing personalities, none have any problems socializing whatsoever, and they never have!

I feel very strongly that kids need their moms or dads to raise them, not other people, but I've faced a lot of criticism because of that. 

Oh, well! big_smile

Tammy

1. LarasMama profile image60
        LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd stay home if I could sad - that's why I'm writing hubs nonstop in hopes I one day can SAH with a passive income!
        By the sounds of it your kids turned out great - but I know plenty of kids who are now 2 or 3 and their parents can't leave them with sitters because they have never been away from a parent.
        However I think as long as kids get to hang out with people other than parents they are fine.
        Luckily I only have to work a few days a week and I have a great daycare lady and my hubby & father babysit sometimes too.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

As a male I am in awe of working moms.
    My daughter is one, but she works from home running an online business with 5 kids. My grandchildren are doing fine. The youngest are almost 5 now (twin girls) and my youngest grandson is 6.
    The family is close and we all pitch in when needed, but I still think you girls are amazing for being able to balance children with work. smile

4. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Of course a working mom can be a good mother.  I am a working mom so I try to make all the time I have with my son count.  This is an age old debate  working mom's vs stay at home moms.  To tell you the truth I am somewhat jealous of those stay at home moms.  I would love to be one but not all of us have that luxary.

I just wanted to clarify something--I did stay at home, but believe me, it wasn't because we had enough money to afford for me, too, it was just the decision that my husband and I felt very strongly about.

We had to sacrifice a lot, for me to stay home while the kids were little--we didn't have a new car or new furniture, no luxuries at all.  We never went on vacations...we just took day trips with the kids as often as we could.

It was worth it, though--I asked our kids if they ever had felt like they missed out on things because of our financial situation--they all three asked "What financial situation?"...lol

I guess I'm just so very thankful that my husband and I were able to do this--I will never regret it.

Please don't think I'm judging working moms--I'm not--I just wanted to let young moms today know that, if you're willing to give up some of the "good life", then you really can stay home, if that is where your heart is...smile

Tammy

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  good to see ya!!

Hi! Great to see you, too!  big_smile

2. Anolinde profile image81
        Anolindeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great reply, Tammy.  I don't think Ms Chievous meant it to sound the way it did (in the last 2 sentences), but that is probably a myth many working moms have of SAHMs .. as if what we do all day is really just literally "stay at home".  I don't have anything else better to add, but just wanted to say that we also had to sacrifice so many luxuries .. no new clothes, no overnight trips, etc.  But I'm happy with the decision I made as my daughter is a very smart, creative and loving individual.

5. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

My own mother always wanted to work, but Dad wanted her to stay home so she did, but because she resented it, we could feel that. She cleaned the house until it was totally spotless, but didn't make breakfast - she would sleep in. My brother almost always made my breakfast before I went off to school. I guess it all depends on how the mother feels about staying home and what her priorities are. Some mothers I know would go crazy if they had to stay home all day with their kids. Others totally love being with their children and home school them and seem to find time to do everything. Not sure how they manage it. Personally, I am glad that I got to work part time and then be with my children the rest of the day. I asked them if they ever felt neglected because of my working and they said they never did. That made me feel better. Some women have to work full time just to get by. Being a mother is a difficult thing - especially the guilt you feel for anything that goes amiss.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I always worked through having the kids. From since the first one was a few months old  when I found that giving up full-time work to become a full-time mum was not satisfying enough for me. To be honest I was bored stiff being a full-time mum of 1.
    I returned to work p/t, working 1 or 2 nights per week after she went to bed, and I was young enough to those days to stay up the next day looking after my child until my husband came home from work.
    As more and more kids came along, my part-time work became a necessity for the family income, and eventually I went back to full-time working.
    If I had to do it all again, I'd stick with only working 1 night a week, on provision the money was for me.
    Instead I practically became the breadwinner as he worked less and less knowing that my wages paid the bills.
    The less he worked, the more I felt I had to work and the more distant I became from my family.
    Hmmm...

7. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Moms are Moms and its ALL hard work. Every one is different, and you cant gauge whats best for you and you chldren, by what someone else did.

If you are lucky enough to have a choice between working or not, you need to sit down and figure out what's really going to work. Emotionaly, financially, etc. You can't let peer pressure effect you in something as important as how to raise your kdis.

many many many women do not have the luxury of choice, and must work. Of course your still a good mother. Moms do what must be done and thats that. I hate how there is still so much fighting about working vs non-working moms. (btw I HATE this term, all moms work). And many women do have a choice, and choose to work, and by no means does this mean they are "bad" mothers. My sister in law works, her hubby stays home, its whats best them.

8. daisyjae profile image78
    daisyjaeposted 14 years ago

I am a work at home mom who does childcare and my answer to this is YES a busy working mom can be a good mother. I have looked after many kids who were happy to come to my house in the morning to play, and happy to go home with mom at the end of the day.

All families are different and a good mom is a good mom whether she works or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)