IMPLEMENTED: New Profile Fails Google Authorship

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 11 years ago

I was studying the Authorship Markup on the new profile format that has been released for staff only at this time.

I noticed that the HTML link to other profiles is coded as  rel="me nofollow". 

This defeats the purpose of rel="me" for Google authorship markup since Google will not follow it. We need to let Google follow all our links to all our other profiles.

To prove this, I tested a few of staff's profiles with Google's Rich Snippets Test Tool. Here are two of them...

Simone Smith's profile fails.  Google reports...

"This page does not contain authorship or rich snippet markup."

Paul Edmondson's profile passed the test only because he manually overrode the authorship markup with the rel=author tag attached to his Google+  URL. But the plan with this new profile is that Hubbers should no longer need to understand how to do this, as per my discussion with Jason Menayan in the forum a while back.

I hope this is corrected before the site-wide rollout of the new profile.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well spotted Glenn. Good job someone is 'on the ball' (to coin an English expression). smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Holy crap. I have no idea what you just said, but that was so impressive, if you want to have my babies, I will let you.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL!

1. Horatio Plot profile image73
          Horatio Plotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I'm with Shades. I have no idea what Google authorship is, but it sounds important.
          Until it's fixed I'm sticking where I am!
          Horatio
          x
          P.S. As for the baby thing, it makes my list Bob Dylan, David Bowie and Glen!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not willing to have anymore babies, but I might rent out a few of the ones I already have if I can get clarification on this issue!  They come with their own razors and they can both drive cars.

1. Shanna11 profile image76
              Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, are they single?

3. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glenn - You are so good at checking these bugs. We sure do appreciate having you on the site. Do you know anything about page load on the new profile?

Glenn Stokposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brakel2,

I noticed the new profile takes a little longer to load. I am sure that is because it has much more graphics. I never researched it to see what actual load times are. Not something to be concerned about since most people today have a broadband Internet.

2. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 11 years ago

There are so many issues with the experimental "Profile Page" both technical and fundamental, and this is just one more critical reason why "Assumption of Risk" should be "Voluntary" not "Mandatory" -

3. MickiS profile image74
    MickiSposted 11 years ago

Glenn, this is a bug that we are working to fix before we release the User Profile to a wider audience. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the follow-up Micki.  I'm glad you are aware of it because I was wondering why someone moved my post from the "bug report" forum to the "suggest a feature" forum.

1. jacharless profile image74
        jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good catch Glenn! It could be a good idea to add the <meta author=Username as an assist. Anyway, just a thought. ~James.

1. Cameron Conner profile image60
          Cameron Connerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, that was a really great catch. Not sure I would have caught that one until it was too late.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

Micki,

Now that the new profile is available, I just checked before enabling it for myself.  I see that the bug is still there that disables our Google Authorship.  I don't want to lose it since I have it enabled since a year ago. So I'll have to wait until this is fixed before I switch to the new profile.

Google says that rel="me" is the proper coding.  Please note, as I reported in the bug forum a month ago, that "nofollow" should not be used for Google Authorship to work.

4. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 11 years ago

The "loss of google ownership" issue as mentioned by Glenn Stock should be taken into consideration on an urgent basis.

Soni,

Thanks for your input. Now it's Friday evening and I don't expect HP to fix this over the weekend. I'll have to wait until next week before I switch to the new HP profile. I am surprised they never at least replied to my bug reports.

HP programmers must have thought they did the right thing by coding it with "Google+" in the anchor. But Google never said that works with "nofollow."   It's interesting that it works with Google+ but not with Google profiles that are not "Plus". It's obvious that they never tested it with a regular Google Profile. I tested it and it fails.

I hope Micki replies soon since she assured me (in this thread) that they would fix this before releasing the new HP profile. But too late for that! Now we probably have to wait till after the weekend.

1. soni2006 profile image77
        soni2006posted 11 years agoin reply to this

but Glenn if I have updated my google plus profile in the new HP profile page, do I need to add any tags (I mean rel = author, etc. ) in that or it will be updated on its own. For example, I need to update this link https://plus.google.com/112967512660361513380

or this link https://plus.google.com/112967512660361 … rel=author

also please evaluate my rich snippet information via this link: http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ … 2Fsoni2006

Soni,

Per my other thread I posted that it's fixed except that they left the bug in staff profiles. Strange.  Also, it only accepts Google Plus, not the regular Google profile URL.  They need to still fix that, but google does a 301 redirect anyway, so I was able to complete my new profile.

You can remove "?rel=author" from your URL since that is no longer needed.  HP automatically uses the  " rel=me" parameter which is better anyway, and it's what we were waiting for since last year when Google first started this. I checked your rich snippets. All is good.  I guess you saw that your authorship is verified. You should start seeing your smiling image in Google search results soon.

1. soni2006 profile image77
            soni2006posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I just saw that Glenn. Thank you so much for all the guidance. Good luck buddy.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

So Glenn, would I be correct in removing the '?rel=author' and replacing it with '?rel=me' at the end of the Google+ link I included on my HP profile page? I have done this, and the new link does still take me to my Google + profile, but I wasn't sure from what you were saying if I needed to actually put anything at the end of the URL now. To illustrate what I have done, my url now reads as :

https://plus.google.com/106765678163064054214?rel=me

Thanks for your help on this smile

Misty,

I see you still are using the old HP profile, so you still need to use the alternate method Google made for websites that don't allow HTML programming by users, as you originally did when you followed the directions in my Hub many months ago. Don't change  it to rel=me since that is wrong to use as a tag attached to the URL.  The alternative method requires rel=author to be attached as a tag.

The better method is rel=me as a separate parameter, not as an attached tag. Since this required HTML, HubPages finally did this for us in the new profile. So when you switch to the new profile you only need to enter your Google URL in the Google field without any additional tags.  The rest is taken care of for you. That's one of the additional advantages of the new HP profile. I'm not going to get into explaining the difference between tags and parameters again here since it's all in my Hub. But I see you are confusing the two. At this point why don't you just switch to the new HP profile and make things easier on yourself. Once you switch, you won't need to get involved with programming to keep your Google authorship status.

Thanks Glenn, for now I have changed back the end of the link to ' ?rel=author ' as I am not keen on the new 'busy' look of the new profile, plus I am up to my neck preparing veggies for our local show on Wednesday and Thursday so don't have time to thoroughly look into what is involved in changing to the new profile look. Right now I haven't even encountered an option anywhere to change over, so not sure where I find this option. I really appreciate you explaining things to me though smile

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can go to a staff profile page. At the top of the page is an entry about updating your profile. You click on that entry. My profile turned out so much better than expected. Pick a good background, and if your hubs have vivid photos, it is beautiful. Good luck Misty.

Thanks for this, very useful to know smile

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

Misty,

I was just about to give you an answer but brakel2 already replied to you with the correct information. I don't blame you for waiting until you have more time. 

I put a lot of thought  into it myself when I switched over. I even rewrote a new bio to use with the new profile, taking into consideration it's length so that it fits nicely on the page. I don't like to have a "more" link. So I kept the bio within limits to avoid that. And then I even had to read resize one of the images in one of my hubs so it worked well with the featured hubs list. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you, it could end up taking some time to set it up well.

Have fun preparing the veggies. You're making me hungry.

lol,  if you were closer I would give you a bag of mixed veggies as a thank you Glenn smile

That sounds good. I'll leave in the morning and maybe your hubby, Richard, can pick me up at the Guernsey airport. smile Your gracious comments a thank you enough. smile wink

lol, no worries, but Richard doesn't drive so a piggy back is the best he can offer. I however do drive, and would willingly pick you up and present you with a stack of veg smile

Sounds good to me. lol.  wink

6. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Just noticed this. Glad I checked sourcecode and Google's snippet checker before switching to the new profile; after all the work I did to get Google authorship on my hubs to show up, I certainly don't want to lose it!

Definitely make sure this is fixed before the new profiles are mandatory, please.

I paid a professional photographer good money to make me look halfway decent, and it's very useful for driving clicks to my links in Google results. wink

Ellen,  HP fixed one thing but not the other since I last checked. They removed the “nofollow” to Google so those of us who claimed our authorship and have our image showing on Google listings will not lose that.

The other thing is that HP only allows a Google Plus URL and if you enter your “profile.google.com” URL on the new HP profile, you will get an error message. They only accept “plus.google.com”

I don’t know if HP wants to force us to sign up for Google+ since none of the staff ever replied to any of my posts in this thread and in the other thread. Except for Micki, who said HP would  fix this before they release the new User Profile.

A solution for you and others who have a regular Google profile and who don’t want to use Google+ … you can enter the URL with “plus” instead of “profile” at the beginning of it. Google does a 301 redirect from one to the other. I know it works. I did it that way and my HP profile and Hubs all pass the Rich Snippets test.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)