WD Curry 111 - The Sad Victim of HubPages' bigotry

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. GoldenBird profile image56
    GoldenBirdposted 11 years ago
  2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Enough already... He is not the only person ever banned and his behaviour afterwards shows why he was banned.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he lost all sympathy when he started creating fake HP accounts in order to attack other hubbers.

1. GoldenBird profile image56
        GoldenBirdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are always available on the forums. Which staff's sockpuppet are you, comrade?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88106

2. GoldenBird profile image56
      GoldenBirdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

sweetheart, hubpages is a rip off. Go write a hub about it to save a penny.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
        galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would dearly love to know why you think HP is a rip off.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your profile says you are leaving.  Thus does not seem to be accurate.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right?  No more accurate than WD Curry's ban is real.  He seems to be around MORE now that he's been banned than he was before. 

UGH!

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't understand why you would want to invest so much time in a site that you feel is a rip-off? Am I missing something?

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 11 years ago

Waves ,smiles and runs to Motown for a big ole hug!!!

(Whispers in ya ear )

What the hell is going on round this place? its more like reform school ,or HP boot camp lol

Whose in? for 2012

Whose out?

Im not one to gossip ,but any good parties? hehe

So good to see a familiar friendly face Mo xxoo

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heya, pretty lady!  I'm around.  In and out these days.  How's things by you?

Oh, and, of course, a big hug backatcha!

big_smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cool bananas ,glad yer around Mo !

Ive had writers block for about 12mths now lol but life is good and almost done with Winter here.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's BadCompany all over again.  Nothing wrong with a wicked sense of humour, but WD Curry was intelligent enough to know the rules.   Some people just like to push the envelope and see how much they can get away with, and I feel WD Curry was one of those people - and in the end, he didn't get away with it.  You play with fire, you eventually get burnt.

I liked BadCompany, at least Thursday nights were not boring lol

Now the g/f was a bit of a  self confessed ho ,lol but oh the forum had at least a  heartbeat.

I know rules are rules and Im not one for cheering on lawbreakers.

Still I think a simple 'delete' button would have been so much easier and less drama in the long run. smile

Good to see you Marissa !

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

Randy Godwin's another one.  Certainly not stupid intellectually.  They start out as naughty schoolkids and end up getting really resentful.  Sometimes you just have to walk away from the computer...

I guess I like bad boys then lol they are missed,along with many other great writers from the forum.

Thats all Ive got to say about that.

2. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Randy Godwin isn't a sh*t-stirrer, and his forum bans were unwarranted IMO. Most of them anyway. He voluntarily left the forums, by the way.

3. CMHypno profile image83
          CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Izzy on this one. Randy has been a good and loyal friend to many of us on HP and he is just calling it as he sees it.  Companies that genuinely want to grow and become great actually welcome criticism and opposing views, as it gives them ideas on how they can improve things.

All Randy has ever wanted is a fair go for all the writers on HP, not just a chosen few who toe the party line, and for the HP staff to be transparent in their dealings with the writers that provide their income for them.

I also find it rather condescending that you refer to anyone who does not agree with you and HP staff 100% of the time as 'naughty school kids' and neither you nor Will seem to have grasped that it was the big differences in views and approaches that used to make this forum a lively and interesting place, rather than the huge yawn that it tends to be these days.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
            Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Randy is one of the good guys, I agree absolutely!

Well, it was intended to be more of a general point than an attempt to kick a guy who can't defend himself in the forums (it's my belief that he's banned).  Clearly it's good for HP to get critical feedback and I enjoy the wide range of opnions in the forums.  I just don't understand all the sourness...

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
                Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I cannot speak for others, I have noticed quite a few members missing from the forums.  I am not sure of why they are no longer allowed to post to the forums, but I miss the interactions that used to be available here.

I also do not understand the sourness, from either side.  I personally would refrain from forum activity if it became anything other than fun for me.  I participate in other internet forums, but I have not found another forum with the intelligence and diversity of posters that can be found here at HP.  It saddens me to realize that the discussions once available here are no more.  Why, I do not know and am not willing to assume.

After some dreadful traffic falls, HP is no longer my biggest earner, but like you, I come her for the fun and informative debates/info.  There is for sure a sense of apathy and fatalism in this forum nowadays, in my humble estimation.  It's not the fault of HP or the hubbers methinks, but the fact that Google is constantly putting out new algo updates. 

Firstly, it's disorientating: What is good advice one week is disastrous the next.  Secondly: all the recent algo updates have been much more negative than positive in general for HP. 

There are still vibrant discussions in the HP Politics and Religion forums, but the "Knowledge Exchange" is less relevant and interesting than it used to be.  I personally have run out of things to say regarding turning the situation around (not that I'm any sort of expert!) and I don't think that I'm alone.   That may change, but it's how I feel at the moment.  The WD and Randy thing is just a sideshow to be brutally honest...

(I do have some genuine friends on HP, but I don't tend to team up with them in the forums.  The "you're either with us or against us" brand of tribalism just doesn't appeal to me.)

2. Will Apse profile image88
                    Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Those stats from the 'success stories' will take some getting over.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
                  Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I've only returned in the lat few weeks properly. And I miss the way it was.

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

WD Curry obviously felt terribly constrained in the forums. I think you see the real person in the sock puppets.

Randy is completely different, a person who is genuinely decent but has never got over the fairly faint (and generally well meant) criticism he received from staff.

I don't know what 'fairness' means to him but it is something of a few orders of magnitude greater than it means to most people.

It is a shame to see the company he is keeping on his hub about his ban (he was definitely banned).

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

Just keep a sense of perspective people is all I'm saying!  smile

(And yes, I have experienced catastrophic losses in traffic and earnings overnight myself!)

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 11 years ago

While its true many would perhaps like to inject their own personal spin on other hubbers ,in particular how they are treated (or not treated) my beef is this:

Why is the moderating so unclear ,for instance who are they? ( most other forums have specific moderators on at certain times and their avatar is shown)

How is it done? do they get a warning ? ( in the forum) for the offence?

Should we not expect some consistency ,from moderators- when it comes to disciplinary matters(3mths is simply too long,imo)

I mean most people never know whats happened,and we should know. Because it does concern us all.

Make it public ,out in the open ,not behind closed doors. If people are better informed ,we are able to make better decisions.

The irony is once people are banned it becomes quite one sided and that in itself is discrimination.

The other alternative is to have no moderation or as has been suggested previously a 'delete function.

Although  I am sure that as an Internet site ,HP staff are well aware of other options.

I say set up a voting poll...wink

P.S One account for ALL. add a DELETE button...cut out all the dramas. smile

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I can't say I find the moderating unclear.  The one that seems to come up most often is basically calling people names.  You aren't mean to do it. I am pretty much an sarcastic asshat, but by avoiding the namecalling towards others I avoid getting banned.

Many people have been guilty of name calling and never been banned or even warned,so that part is unclear.

And the ones who have been banned in the past for such a penalty are not necessarily going to be here to vouch for that -one way or another.

Thats my point exactly though -if the moderators said so at the point of offence ,we ALL would be clear.

For instance what is deemed an insult? and what is not?

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Randy got his ban for calling someone a 'windbag'. The ban isn't permanent but he says he won't come back because he believes the mods will find some other reason for banning him.

I think he would be safe if he just avoided the name calling. But I have never taken to conspiracy theories.

8. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

In my two + years at hubs I have seen no one banned that didn't deserve to be !  Is it always fair ....prob  not !  Should the moderators names be opened to all  for criticism NO ! Hubs is a pretty darned great place . I Love it here in fact . And if one doesn't ........why stay anyway?

People speak up when they feel there is an injustice or things could work better.

It works fine for me ,( I play nice in the sandpit) but that doesnt mean I dont think it could be improved.

Horseback, you are entitled to your opinion as you see it.

In reflection I was insulted by an experienced hubber for a long time ,but I was a rookie by comparison and the other more revered hubber was allowed to sit on his perch and attack at random.

Did I think that that fair , no ,as a matter of fact ,hell noooo....did I report him ,nope, I just learned another way to stand my ground.

But that doesnt change the fact the whole process wasnt fair . I learned fairly quickly ,that it was a game.

There is no need for me to leave per say, as it is I come n go anyway .

I am not married to HP so its not a love issue lol

9. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Paradigmsearch ambles by...

smile

10. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

The place use to be fun, good conversation full of wit, humor, insight and even brief glimpses of intelligence from talented writers and creative minds.

Enter all the bans and the pursuant withdrawal of many engaging participants and the forums now are nothing but poster boards for political trolls and a constant war over religion.

Boring, unimaginative and mostly uninviting.

11. Shanna11 profile image77
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

Compared to all the other forums I troll around on, Hubpages is by far the most lenient.... however, every forum I go on has the same "I was banned, and I didn't deserve it; the staff targets me etc" type complaints.

Why don't people (on any site) ever consider that it might truly and actually be THEM and NOT the website staff? Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)