KNOWN ISSUE: Google displaying search results in error

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (60 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 11 years ago

When I did a Google search for one of my hubs, a different hubber's authorship is showing up attached to my hubs.

I know this same thing is happening to another hubber as well... the same hubber's authorship (Marcy) is showing up in Google search for the authorship.

Here's a pic of the issue:
    http://i.imgur.com/sXdfr.png

In addition to this, other hubs of mine no longer show the authorship picture in Google search, but they used to. Perhaps Google just doesn't want to show authorship for some of my other hubs, but I just figured it was worth mentioning here.

1. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

#10 on 1st google page shows"13 most dangerous airports, Marcy Goodfliesch

2. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just checked a hub that always does well and most of the time using the exact words it's number one. Now it's in a different place in google search and it says by Eric Prado.  I realize Eric works for hubpages but I have never seen it listed like this. Anyone else seeing this kind of thing?

3. profile image51
      Zxoaicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nowadays Google isn't showing ANYTHING from. Thanks for the truth share.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7356893_f248.jpg

4. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There appears to be an issue with how Google is displaying the data.
      We are sending it properly to them and have contacted Google to see if they can resolve the issue.

2. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 11 years ago

Hey Melanie!  How did you search for this?  Was it just a general search?  When I searched 'most dangerous airports' your hub came up with your name attached and I didn't see Marcy anywhere.

3. melbel profile image93

I searched for:
    most dangerous airports in the world

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I had heard that if you get yourself a 'gravatar' then it helps identifying you better across search results, no idea if true, but if it works...  smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What the H-E-Double-Toothpicks is a "gravatar"?????!!!!!!

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It doesn't relate to SEO at all.  It is a system for signing in to make comments on various blogging platforms (like a yahoo or Google account).  And a fairly obsolete one.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Its not even a little bit obsolete.

The Gravatar system is still the default on wordpress.com and many very popular wordpress comment plugins.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

As I said, some people are finding success through use of keeping their 'names' the same, across the net and showing up, better in search results. If the names have a photo of you, it gets picked up too  smile  even it it's with outdated gravatars tongue or current G+, it's working great for some.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is one way .. one ... to get your image next to your listings in Google.

This is achieved via using the google authorship options -  and by the image and commentary in this thread, either Hubpages or Hubbers are screwing up in the implementation of this rather simple and well documented process.

Considering how many different examples there are, looks to be a technical error on HP's part.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've had Google authorship registered for all my sites and blogs for a couple years. In the past two months, one of my Squidoo lenses has started showing up under Seth Godin, even though my other lenses display my authorship correctly in the SERPS.

Folks, this has nothing to do with Gravatar. We're talking about "Google Authorship." There is a specific system for registering authorship with Google so that your other articles, your photo, and a link to your Google profile appear with your hubs when they show up in Google results. It's been working fine for a long time, but in the past two months it's started glitching.

At first I thought this glitch was just the new Hubpages profile that had screwed up, because it wasn't happening before the redesign. However, since I'm seeing it on other sites as well, I think it's something to do with Google's algorithm, deciding the most important author(s) on a domain are the authors of content on that domain and ignoring the authorship markup codes.

1. ktrapp profile image93
          ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Greekgeek - I don't know if you noticed my post earlier in this thread, but I noticed differences depending on whether I am logged into Google or not. When logged in and doing a search melbel's Hub in question did not display any authorship at all. However, when I logged out of Google and performed the same search, that is when the incorrect authorship information (Marcy's) was displayed. I was curious if you noticed the same behavior.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So this is happening on other sites like Squidoo?

1. Greekgeek profile image78
              Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, and it hasn't been happening long. I have been forced to post a big fat I DON'T KNOW (how to fix it) in response to someone else reporting the problem:

http://squidu.yuku.com/topic/920/GreekG … KBLAGt5mSM

and if you Google "Squidoo's beginnings" -- a critique I wrote about how that site has changed for the worse over time wink -- my article shows in Google under the authorship of Seth Godin.

I mentioned his name and linked to a post of his in the article. However, that link did NOT have a rel=author attribute, whereas my own author link does!

My friend reporting the same problem found that she had posted an Amazon link to some author's book in the article, and when she took out the Amazon link, the Google authorship for that article fixed itself on the next recrawl. So again, Google seems to be ignoring rel=author markers telling it "this here link is pointing to an author profile" and choosing for itself -- not always correctly -- which is the authorship link.

FWIW I reported the problem to Google's webmaster forums, and got a "we'll look into it" reply a few days ago:
              http://productforums.google.com/forum/m … SNhBgA0KFQ

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
      LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

First page hub is by Melbel

3. ktrapp profile image93
      ktrappposted 11 years ago

Melanie - If I am logged into Google and do a search for "most dangerous airports in the world," your Hub is 6th in my results and has no authorship photo. However, if I log out of Google and perform the same search, your Hub shows up 9th in results with Marcy's authorship.

4. melbel profile image93

I know of another hubber who is seeing Marcy show up for her hubs too. Another hubber is having a completely different hubber (not Marcy) show up.

My authorship settings are correct and I use the same name across all networks. No idea what's happening.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I am lost now. There are listings in the search pages with Identical titles, different authors and sites, and urls. The important thing is that your hub is not being copied and listed under another person.

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This isn't another hubs being stolen, but rather that the information shown in Google search shows the wrong author. When you click on the result, it takes you to the correct hub.

6. moonlake profile image81
      moonlakeposted 11 years ago

With my hub it's not being copied it is listing it by Eric. When I click on Eric it goes to Google+  My HubPage address is there but it looks like it is his site. The wording under his name is from my hub.
      There is another site about laser hair removel that is the using the name of one of my hubs and some pictures on their site. I'm sure they are using more hubs than just mine. Their doing it just to draw people in.

7. Jools99 profile image88
      Jools99posted 11 years ago

This is happening to me too.  One of my most read hubs, (up until a few days ago - now one of my least viewed) is showing a photo of Alecia Murphy next to it.  Very strange.  I wonder if HP can explain it.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image61

moonlake   This is too weird. I would report it to Hub Pages and see what they have to say.

9. Judi Bee profile image91
      Judi Beeposted 11 years ago

I've got Maddie Ruud showing up with one of mine!

10. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Weird for sure. Too much craziness going on. I would send email about this to
      team@hubpages.com.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image61

She is on hub pages. What you saw takes you to Google Plus. She does not have that there, nor is it here on her list of hubs.  Contact team@hubpages.  Something not right. I just put the title in my browser, and yes it takes us to your hub.  Sounds like a glitch in HP, what else is new.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image61

ktrapp got same thing as you did.

13. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Got same, no pic when using Yahoo search either,

14. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Melbel, thanks for starting this thread! I've been getting a bunch of emails about the issue this morning, and have reported the problem. Clearly there's some weirdness going on with rel=author tags, and we hope to get to the bottom of it soon. big_smile

15. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Simone - thanks for looking into this - I have to say it's very embarrassing to be on the end of the 'wrong name and photo' part of it!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

C'Mon Marcy..... Own Up... When I Googled 'Whose hand is it in the Cookie Jar?'  I saw your fingers wrapped around that last chocolate macaroon!  yikes  lol
        Unbelievable!!  big_smile

2. ktrapp profile image93
        ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't help but wonder if your ears were burning Marcy. But I knew you would eventually see this since you're active in the forums.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Ktrapp - I have been traveling & have missed a few days; I'm glad MelBel posted this thread. Kelly had sent me a message a few days ago, and we have both tried to look into it, but I didn't realize my name & photo were on other hubs as well.

Looks like I've really been getting around lately . . .

*sigh*

16. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Okay, you caught me, PD.  Guess I wasted those long hours figuring out how to attach my photo to hubs by all the good writers here. Darn!  Love those macaroons.

Macaroons are never a waste of time! 
        Don't worry, I reported it as being Maddie, along with her 'You've Been Banned!' photo!  lol

17. melbel profile image93

Maybe a long shot, but could this have anything to do with traffic loss? My other hubs aren't showing my happy fun Google picture... so maybe people are less inclined to click through?

Traffic seems super down. :'(

What about with your image stock on Google...
        - have you noticed any changes with your SE images also?

18. moonlake profile image81

Mine is showing up in the google search with Eric's name on it but not in Yahoo and Bing like that.

19. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hi again everyone!

The rich snippet testing tool shows the correct information, at least on the Hubs we have looked into, so Paul Deeds thinks this is likely a Google issue. We're going to alert them of the issue and see if it can be resolved.

You can see whether the correct information is listed using Webmaster Tools' Structured Data Testing Tool - here is an example of it in use (testing whether the rich snippet is right on Melbel's dangerous airport Hub): http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ … s&html

Thanks, Simone - please let us know what you all hear from Google?  I'm not clear how the tool example works, but at least I know the right people are looking into it!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you notice Greekgeek's post saying this is also happening on Squidoo?  So it must be a Google issue. Let's hope with both sites reporting it, it'll get fixed quickly.

20. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the examples and the screenshot.  I sent it over to the guy at Google that works on this.  It will likely get straightened out shortly.

21. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 11 years ago

Same here:

http://i47.tinypic.com/34yxkhz.jpg

You can see that my hub is attributed to Aya Katz, who is part of my network on Google +. I suspect Marcy and Melbel are joined on Google + as well.

22. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Simone - any news on this?  Thanks!

23. Melovy profile image93
      Melovyposted 11 years ago

I've also got this with some of my hubs, and in all that I've seen so far, Marcy's smiling face is gracing them!

24. moonlake profile image81

Eric is not showing up on my hub now he wasn't part of my network on Google+ when he did show up. Looks like the hub has been fixed.
      Now if they can just find our pinterest button and put it back on our hubs.

25. melbel profile image93

Marcy's mug is no longer appearing in Google search for that hub, but then again neither is mine.

Thanks for the update, Mel - at least it's halfway fixed - maybe?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84

Mel - I just searched and it does pop up without my pic (thankfully!) but it does have your URL as the link.

26. melbel profile image93

I don't know if this is related, but I'd noticed my traffic was a bit down at the time I reported this.

I noticed something weird in Webmaster Tools regarding authorship at this time as well.
      Webmaster tools >> Labs >> Author Stats

My traffic was up yesterday so I checked Webmaster tools and saw the "thing" had changed.
      http://i.imgur.com/1X5Dx.png

(Or click here for the full-size http://i.imgur.com/1X5Dx.png)

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wish I understood more about webmasters tools.

I looked at my own subdomains under tools >> labs >> author stats and it says "No data available". What is that supposed to mean?

Meanwhile my crawl error graph continues to rise and that started that day my traffic fell again in late October.

2. cardelean profile image86
        cardeleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Alright Melanie.  You know I'm definitely not a 'technical' person so I have a few questions for you.  First, my graph shows the exact same trend as yours except that I have not quite the kind of traffic increase as you do, but it is starting.  So because of Izzy's comment, I checked my crawl error graph (which I haven't done in a really long time because of my schedule).  During the time that my author stats graph went flat, apparently 129 of my hubs were searched and came up as 410 status (gone).  Now there are a few that were deindexed so I can certainly see why that would show gone, but not all of them and some of my best hubs are showing up as 410.  How can this be and what do I have to do to get them "not gone?"

1. christin53 profile image84
          christin53posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed this for over a week now many of my hubs are showing the 410 status and none of these hubs are new or have been de-indexed. I've tried doing a Google fetch and it still can't find them. It would explain why I hardly get any traffic from Google. I am at a loss as what to do about it.

1. cardelean profile image86
            cardeleanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what I was thinking.  I still get Google traffic but it has definitely dropped.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I have noticed this pattern for a while now across all my subdomains, and have reported it on the forums, but no-one seems to think there is a link.

Every time traffic falls, there is a huge jump in crawl errors starting 3 days to a week beforehand.

The return of traffic can equally be predicted by noticing a lessening in crawl errors, so it looks like they are linked.

But what do I know?

1. Judi Bee profile image91
                Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have a steadily increasing trend of crawl errors too.  It seems to be escalating more rapidly.  A few of the hubs are those that I have deleted because they are idle.  They show up simply as judibee.hubpages/blahblahblah.  The rest are "featured" hubs, but they show up as hub/topic/sub-topic/blahblahblah.

Have no idea if that's significant, makes a difference or what.  Just saying.  And I see that traffic on those hubs has fallen.  One hub that used to be Page 1/2 on Google has now fallen back to Page 6.  Again, don't know if it's linked.

1. IzzyM profile image87

So its not just me!

Anyone else experiencing this?

27. LindaSmith1 profile image61

I looked up crawl errors in search engines.  From the way I understand it, it is an Issue that CAN be fixed, but HP has to do it. HP has probably messed up a whole lot of coding etc with all of the index, de-index, etc of hubs.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)