New Month, Same Scraper

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 10 years ago

It's already been reported that some of last month's scraper sites are up with new hosts http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111525 .  Just letting everyone know that at least one more site has reappeared today (travelingandplaces) and that more hubs are being added to all the sites today. 

I know its disheartening to have to start filing DMCAs all over again, particularly when traffic has taken a hit from Google this week, but it needs to be done.  Our scraper is clearly persistent - we need to show him that we are too.

If you aren't sure how to find the host site, use this link: 
    http://www.whoishostingthis.com/

Thanks everyone!

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the heads up, Judi Bee!

2. molometer profile image79
      molometerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have checked just one single hub and found it on another 9 crappy chinese hosted websites. They are plastered with advertising from Cartier amongst other top brands?

What a complete waste of time and effort.

3. kittythedreamer profile image74
      kittythedreamerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep, found one of mine just by putting my name into the search bar, as JudiBee suggested. Bleh.

1. quotations profile image87
        quotationsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious - if you go to your account Hubpages will sometimes display whether one of your hubs has possibly been copied by showing a symbol next to your hub. Was that showing up in your case or did you find copied hubs even though Hubpages wasn't picking up on them?

Judi Beeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Despite over half my hubs being copied both this month and last by this particular scraper, and several having been copied in the past, I've never had the symbol show up.  I believe that it's too expensive for HP to run the software to detect copies for everyone, so don't rely on it - check your own hubs and check the forums for news.

4. rebthomas profile image82
      rebthomasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

5. innerspin profile image86
      innerspinposted 10 years ago

Poop. Just did a random check on a couple of hubs after reading this - thanks Judi Bee - and found one apparently stolen by everythingathomes.com  Haven't located my work yet but saw moonlake there, along with other articles that are obviously hubs, they have links to " read other hubs." Lots of amazon ads but I'm not sure if they are copies of the hubs or the thief's ads. Google tells me my hub is on there but there are lots of pages and articles. Anyone with hubs on home furnishing please be aware.

Try putting your name into the site search bar - it should come up with some, if not all, of your hubs.

2. moonlake profile image82
        moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks innerspin I see he has a few of my hubs on there.

6. innerspin profile image86

Thanks, Judi Bee, I did find it and have filed a complaint. The email associated with the site shows 641 other domains......

7. Judi Bee profile image90

I see that celebrationforholidays is back with us again too. 

Just to reiterate, these sites are exactly the same as last month - if your work was there last month, it is probably going to be there again this month.  All that's changed is the host.  So far we have:

pets-and-animal
      celebrationforholidays
      entertainmentwithmedia
      travelingandplaces
      familywithparenting
      gendersrelationships
      financeforpeoples
      educationforscience
      everythingathomes
      foodforcooking
      games-toys-hobbies
      business-employment

I expect the other domains will be back up soon too.

1. sholland10 profile image83
        sholland10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Judi Bee!  I appreciate the info.  Here we go again...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Better to know than not... Thank you! smile

8. innerspin profile image86

Add in healthforpeoples.com, he's a busy guy. Filed a complaint there as well. Oh dear. Some copies direct from blogger.com, he's quite bold.

If it's any consolation, I went to the site and it is junk. It looks absolutely horrible, with lousy layout and many of the images are broken. I cannot imagine that Google will rank them well at all.

1. innerspin profile image86
          innerspinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does look poor, that isn't really any consolation though, as the fact is he has stolen material. I know what you mean but it's not nice to see your own work badly presented, minus photos and videos. As you say, Google probably won't think much of them.

2. sholland10 profile image83

When I look at the healthforpeoples.com site, it is all the same hubs they scraped before with the same January 25, 2013 date.  I received e-mails from Google stating the sites had been taken down.  Does this mean they weren't since it is the same date?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, it just means he kept a backup of his original site and is using that to recreate it on his new site.

File your DMCA with the host company and list ALL your Hubs on the same website on one DMCA - you dont need to write one DMCA for each Hub. 

As Wilderness says, keep a copy of your DMCA so you can use it again if he does it again.

Host isn't responding (to me at least).

2. moonlake profile image82
          moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what is going on with Google I had also recieved emails telling me my photos had been taken down on a site and when I looked they were down. Last night I checked and they are back on that site.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Somebody send a link to this thread as well as other threads about this scraper to the host company.  That might help get quick action. 

Unfortunately, the person (persons) must have unlimited time and money to get these things going. And there are a ton of host companies out there.  This could take a long while to shut down completely.

The FTC went after the companies that were scamming people on the phone (claiming to be from Microsoft).  Maybe there's a federal agency that can help shut down scrapers.  The scam (people fraudulently claiming to be from Microsoft) was mostly people in India, so the international logistics didn't prevent action.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My limited experience is if that we hubbers hit him hard and early they will give up after 3 or 4 times of being immediately shut back down.

Save your DMCA claims; you can file them again with a different host by merely changing the address and host name.  I did take the time to verify that every hub I filed on before was on the new sites (they were) just to maintain a good impression with the host.  Claim on a hub that isn't copied and it won't improve your chances of action.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm filing multiple hubs on each site and, given it is all one owner and one host, multiple sites all on one DMCA.  Seems to me that it will make more of an impression on the host that way.

Hi Wilderness, where do you look for the saved DMCA claims?  Thanks! :-)

I save my sent (email) DMCA claims.  That way I can basically copy/paste them. 

If that doesn't work, I have a word document that is the basic form - my name, contact, wording, etc. are all there and it just needs hub links and a host address to complete.

Thanks!  I still have all my e-mails from Google stating they received my requests and the ones stating the sites had been taken down.  I am still stumped by seeing that January 25, 2013 date today.  Makes me wonder if they were ever taken down.

10. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 10 years ago

There are two more, can't think of the names now... artswithcrafts? and a spiritual one. I'll go dig them up.

Don't think I can keep doing this, it took hours last time sad

Edit: It's artswithdesign

11. Judi Bee profile image90

Those two weren't up earlier today, but I'm sure they will be soon.

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Artswithdesign is up, can't find the other one yet.

I lied, that's the original site - I saw the results come up in Google and thought it was a new one.

It was religion-philosophy.  He's putting them up fast - travelingandplaces wasn't around yesterday, but it is today.

12. Jenn-Anne profile image74
      Jenn-Anneposted 10 years ago

Will put this on my list of things to do this week. I agree that we must stick together and keep after this guy. Hopefully eventually he'll decide it isn't worth the effort to keep targeting hubpages. And for anyone who is new to this situation, if you have hubs published on hubpages, likely this guy has stolen them. Last time around his sites were nothing but stolen hubs - scraped as fast as they were published.

That's what it will take, alright.

And for sure he'll take anything and everything.  Last time I had over 100 hubs stolen by this slimeball.

13. Judi Bee profile image90

Just for those who've missed it over the weekend - bump!

14. quotations profile image87
      quotationsposted 10 years ago

I will do that. I may be joining you all in making DMCA requests

15. TheKatsMeow profile image88
      TheKatsMeowposted 10 years ago

This should be on page 1, so I am giving it a bump smile

16. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Bump

17. TheKatsMeow profile image88
      TheKatsMeowposted 10 years ago

Anyone have any good news on this?

It looks like artswithdesign has been suspended, I am off to check out the other ones.

edit: it appears the other ones are still up and running, how disappointing sad

18. Bedbugabscond profile image93
      Bedbugabscondposted 10 years ago

I reported him/her/they yesterday. I don't know how they cat get away with this over and over again.

19. Judi Bee profile image90

Just bumping this up - sites still up and content still being added each day.

20. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

When your content is removed from the sites, file a request with Google to have the cache removed and be sure to include "repeat offender" when you notify Google:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi … er=1663691

21. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

The Host generally gives the accused 48-hours to respond to the Host's email.  Anyone can file a counter-claim to a DMCA request so time is allotted for someone to exercise his rights. A spammer, of course, won't counter-claim and will forfeit and move on.

NOTE: When you file to have Google remove the cache, you must file a separate request for each URL.

It's been over two weeks.  A quick search of the host company's name doesn't inspire confidence that any action will be taken by them.

22. shielamaeparreno profile image65
      shielamaeparrenoposted 10 years ago

Hi Judibee, I've been trying to check on my hubs for an hour now but only my account with Hubpage appears as exact copy on the search list. My chances on hubs getting copied might be slim but it's worth the try knowing anyway.
      I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I just copy the title of my hub and paste it on the search bar on google.. smile  How do I check them?

Take a sentence from your hub and put it inside quote marks - any copies will show up.  If the search returns only your hub, you're OK.

23. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 10 years ago

Add www.only4realmen.com to the list.  They have copied one of my hubs but are not responding to emails etc. Will have to go to their host GODADDY to get anything done I suppose.

Also report them to Adsense. If they can't monetize their site it won't pay for them to keep the content up.

2. Judi Bee profile image90

This guy's host is WestHost - they have a DMCA procedure listed on their site.  You could approach him first though and ask him to take it off.  It's not the Chinese scraper, it's a guy in Atlanta.  If he doesn't respond, then contact the host.

24. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I filed a DMCA, but when I look at the list of my history, it says that the DMCA was rejected. 

I think this means that the site was taken down before they were able to look for my links, since I received emails saying that they couldn't find it.

Do you think I may be doing something else wrong when filling out the request?

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)