An idea for increasing traffic to our hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

In the upper right hand corner, where our author name is listed (and is linked to our profile page if clicked on), why not

1)  Make the name larger and bolded and
    2)  Write something beneath it such as "For more from ______________ click on ____________________

Readers cannot possibly know that the name links to our profile pages, and thus having the link there, especially when it is so small, is useless.  If they like what they have read and want to read more, this shows them how to find more articles.

Thoughts?  (and I hope the team reads this!)

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great idea!

2. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
      Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thats a nice suggestion. One visitor after reading my hub suggested I should include search box so that readers will read more of my piece without knowing that clicking on my name takes him to the profile page.

3. lorddraven2000 profile image91
      lorddraven2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have written a few hubs on the matter of traffic but the best bet is write great content.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

There are many people on this site who produce great content, but all of them would still like to have any boost possible to help their traffic.  Wouldn't you?

4. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Posting this under the topic "Tips for improving traffic" would likely get the attention of staff.

Wish I had thought of that. If I post it now, they will dump it because I already posted it here.

5. lbrummer profile image95
      lbrummerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Two weeks ago I suggested an idea similar to this in the forum to get HQ attention.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128798   
      As you can see the idea got shot down pretty quickly.  I hope you get more attention with this idea.  I'll copy this forum address and attach it to mine in the other forum.

I received an email from the team today that basically said research shows doing this is not necessary.  If the team is research driven, there is little chance they will make any changes along these lines.  Oh well...

6. Cynthia Hoover profile image89
      Cynthia Hooverposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Reading through this thread I can see that there is not much interest in doing as far as hub pages is concerned. It is a great idea though. I can say when I first started here I wasn't aware I could Click the name to find more articles by the author. Maybe linking the profile in the hub is an option in lieu of a "click here"?

You cannot link to your profile within a hub...I know because I just went through having a problem with this.  There are numerous reasons, but all of them cause the same result...if you do it, you will have problems.

7. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

clever idea, I would love to see that happen!

8. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice, but it will be interesting to see if HP reacts.  After all, when I joined HubPages we had a very prominent "About the Author" section in that right hand corner, with an invitation to sign up to be notified of our new Hubs, etc.  That was all taken away in one of the redesigns, when it was reduced to a tiny photo and name link and nothing else.    In fact, the photo would've been even tinier if we hadn't all made such a fuss!

So I have to say I was surprised when they made our photo a bit bigger again, and added the "More by" section, because I'd been forced to the only possible conclusion - that HubPages wanted to take the emphasis away from the individual author and on to the site as a whole.   Otherwise why remove the original "About the Author" section?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

I agree - if we are to have robust subdomains, HP needs to help make that happen. Unless you're familiar with this site, you would never know to click on the teeny little name of the author to find their profile and more content.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years ago

Having wording that specifically encourages users to click on specific links is prohibited in both the Amazon and Google affiliate terms of use.  I feel it is very remote that HubPages will consider this suggestion.

relache:   I was not aware of this, but do feel that there surely is some way to let readers know that other articles of similar ilk from the same author are available.  This would be a service to readers as well as to authors.  You would think that Amazon and Google would want to encourage readership because the more people read, the more money they make.  It seems like every rule they have discourages people from further reading.  HP already has a "more from" section, so why not just expand it somehow by including the author's name as a link?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The only clicks you are not allowed to encourage are clicks on advertisements because it sends the advertisers poor quality traffic.

You can encourage people to click on non-paid links as much as you like.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

Relache - the suggestion TT2 put forth would not require a 'click here' message; it would just make it more evident where to find more articles by the same writer. This site encourages 'followers,' so it only makes sense to incorporate something that can do that.

The "Editor's Choice" wording certainly creates the 'click here' sort of message.  And I see many sites with 'click here' messages asking people to post things on FB, click to follow someone, read such & such by 'clicking here.'  This suggestion doesn't even require that sort of wording - it's just a way to clarify how to get to the profile and more of that person's writing.

Are you thinking primarily of situations where someone is encouraged to click on an ad?

3. tillsontitan profile image82
      tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

Obviously we are all in agreement.  How can anyone not familiar with HP know the nuances?  It would certainly be better for all of us if it was easier to get to our profile page.  I think it's a great suggestion.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 9 years ago

I think it´s a good suggestion. I hope the staff  will read this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)