The Hebrew Letters

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

This is for those who are interested in learning about the Hebrew letters:

The Hebrew Alphabet:
    "Judaism has always regarded Hebrew as a sacred language, the medium of divine communication. For millennia, the sages and mystics have taught that the letters are no ordinary expression. The very word for "letter" in Hebrew--Ot--means sign or wonder; that is, a heavenly revelation. The more we learn about the letters through both study and medita­tion, the greater becomes our inner development". Edward Hoffman

The 22 Letters, And No Vowels
    The Hebrew language is comprised of 22 letters, five of which are known as double (or mother letters, as they have two distinct forms: when beginning a word and when placed at its ending). These letters are Kaf, Mem, Nun, Pei, and Tzadi. They were originally known only to the righteous such as Abraham, and later, to Moses, Joshua, and the Seventy Elders of Israel under their leadership. They brought the knowledge of these special Hebrew letters to the Holy Land, where through the Prophets, the entire Jewish people came to use them.

The Hebrew language originally con­tained no vowels, though the Ayin or Aleph were sometimes utilized for that purpose. Vowel signs were developed during the second half of the first one-thousand years.

Dating back to Talmudic times, the Hebrew letters have not only been celebrated as holy, but also venerated as an actual tool for spiritual mastery. Traditionally, the two most preferred techniques have been gematriyah and notarikon. In gematriyah, words with dissimilar meanings but equal numerical values (since each Hebrew letter also has a number associated with it) are probed for their hidden linkages.

In notarikon, words are broken down into sentences composed of initial letters. Thus, the first word of the Ten Commandments, ANoKhY ("I Am") alludes to the sentence Ario Nafshoy Katovit Yahovit ("I have written and given myself to you in this book").

1. profile image49
      paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

Do you mean that Abraham was the founder of the Hebrew language? Hebrew started with Abraham?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, no..I said such as Abraham.

1. profile image49

paarsurrey wrote:

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

Do you mean that Abraham was the founder of the Hebrew language? Hebrew started with Abraham?

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

Do you think Adam was a righteous person?

Thanks

1. profile image0

Hebrew can be seen by examining the names of the individuals appearing in the early chapters of Genesis. All are Hebrew! Adam means "red" or "ruddy." Eve (Heb. Chavah) means "life," or "lifespring." Just look at the names of other Old Testament personalities and you will see that they all have Hebrew meanings.
            http://www.remnantofyhwh.com/Hebrew%20T … nguage.htm

However after the flood many things may have been lost. So Abraham may have been the first after that.

I really have no idea except that the Hebrew language was the language spoken to create...let there be light etc.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
              Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Human_language

You guys (and girls) are funny. LOL Evolution people - evolution.

1. profile image0

And?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

You wouldn't understand apparently. wink

2. profile image49

Hi friend Mark Knowles

We are discussing things when Darwin was not yet evolved and come to the scene.

We will discuss it later.

Thanks

1. profile image0

Don't get into this with him..Not here please.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Aww - So sweet. The religionista are both attacking the atheist. LOL

Proto humans - no Darwin, no YWHYHYYYY ALLAH GOD no Muslimists.

200,000 years before the god nonsense.

Ciao. No need to understand or educate Usmanali Or Sexton.

Sorry - I mistook this for a none religion thread. I thought ot was about language - my mistake.

Now it seems I should leave you to fight over which language GOD sed to ADAM when he was naming the Kangaroo.

What did God tell Adam to call the Kangaroo? lol

1. profile image0

I gave that to indicate that old manuscripts from ages ago were written in Hebrew..so the beginning of time.

2. profile image49

Hi Mark Knowels

Rest assured; we are only discussing; we won't fight; we understand.

I think it is heavy a burden for your backbone; the Skeptics are perhaps flesh without a backbone. Are they?

You remain here; you are an interesting person.

Thanks

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
                    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image49

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

Any idea where Adame lived; I mean in what courtry in the present era?

Thanks

1. profile image0

Actually, it is my belief that Adam was a word used to represent mankind..not one man.
                Male and female were called Adam..
                I have no idea and neither does anyone else, where they lived.

1. profile image49

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

You mentioned that in hebrew even names depict something; and Adam means "red" as you stated. Does it signify the land he lived; in your opinion? If it does not signify; then why he was named "red".

Anybody with any guess; it is a discussion between all of us, of course.

Thanks

1. profile image0

I guess because they came from Red Dirt. I have no idea where.

Where do you say they came from.

2. profile image49

Hi friend  Deborah Sexton

Who fixed numerical value of the letters? Was it YHWH or Abraham?

Thanks

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Thanks for sharing this, Deborah...some of this I knew, and some I didn't. One thing I have trouble with is the pronunciation of the Hebrew letters, which of course leads to trouble pronouncing words. Can you recommend a good source for learning about this?

1. profile image0

I will email you.
      Also in the future I will create a hub to give correct pronunciation.
      Thank you for your interest.

2. profile image0

Your profile gives no way to contact you.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's weird! I thought it was set up to email me...I'll see if I can fix it.

ETA: Okay, it should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

1. profile image0

I still can't find any way to contact you.

I clicked on the  little box in "edit my profile" that allows people to contact me. I don't know what's going on. I will look again, or else email you so you can respond. Sorry for all the confusion, Deborah.

3. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't this be better as a hub?

4. profile image0

OK, I started this thread for those interested in becoming familiar with the Hebrew language.
    It was not meant to be a fight between evolution and creationism. I believe in both.

Yet now it is fading like all other threads.
    I thought the forums would offer the info to more people instead of a hub.

I am so weary of fighting with rude people so I am gone from here.

1. profile image49

Hi friend

I won't fight; I was happy that a very intelligent friend knowing Hebrew has started this thread. I wanted to know some Hebrew starting from the word "Adam".

Please don't be angry.

Thanks

5. TheGlassSpider profile image63

Okay, I think I understand...I didn't do it right the first time. It should be fixed now, and you can email me through HP at will.

Thanks. smile

1. profile image0

OK, I was able to email it to you.

If you have any question just ask.

2. profile image0

Sorry about that.
      I sent you another email.

Thanks, Deborah...I'll go get them now. I appreciate your taking the time to do that. smile Sorry about the mix up. I'm glad you alerted me.

6. TheGlassSpider profile image63

This is an awesome resource, Deborah, thank you smile

1. profile image0

Just be careful with the teachings..They are Christian though they speak Hebrew.

I understand. smile

I will be careful.

7. profile image0

Many religions state that because Moses was raised by Egyptians, that Moses spoke the language of hieroglyphics .which are pictures and symbols.

Scholar Dr. Ashraf points out that

The Hebrews lived in Egypt for about 400 years.

"Moses lived in the 13th century BC, whereas the first written recording of the Old Testament was by Ezra in the middle of the 5th century BC. That means that the Jewish Torah was passed by oral tradition for 8 centuries."

The Egyptians were unwilling to share their language and its hieroglyphics, which was associated with their religion and their gods, with the Hebrew immigrants. The result was that the Hebrews preserved their own Canaanic language for their entire time in Egypt. It was the written language used by Moses and other literate Hebrews. There is absolutely no scientific, historical, or archeological evidence that, as claimed by some, "the Torah was revealed to Moses in hieroglyphics".

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it also such that there is no scientific, historical or archaeological evidence that Moses even existed?  smile

1. profile image0

Many ancient manuscripts have record of Moses.

1. profile image0

I am not saying there is any proof of Moses (really Moshe) outside the oral and written tradition of the Hebrew people.

There were many things written about this in different writings such as the Jewish apocrypha and others

2. profile image0

I can't resist your pretty smile. smile

3. Neferkaptah profile image59
        Neferkaptahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Moses did exist, bu for me Prophet Moses is none other than A'aferti Ankh-Aten or Ankh-Aton because his god, religion, life, believes and events do have a strong correlation with the bilical Moses and most of the Hebrew Patriarchs have strong correlation with the A'afertis "Pharaohs" and gods of Egypt.

Look at what Judeo-Christianity teaches, you can find it in the ancient religions of Egypt!

2. mythbuster profile image70
      mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deborah Sexton,

Would you please provide the full name of the "Scholar Dr. Ashraf" you've mentioned? A couple of works or articles by the scholar that I might look for? I'm interested in finding out more about this history. Is this a historian? Theologian?

I was aware of the long-term oral tradition regarding the Jewish Torah, but have felt the need to brush up on this information and I'm not certain which books provided me with this information in the recent past. I must take better notes from now on.

8. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I thought we agreed that everything was invented by the Greeks and that Moses came from Athens??

That's what I thought, too, except wasn't Moses from Ios, now the party capital of the world?  smile

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was Sodom (no.. on second thought, I think he was from Mykonos)

Mykonos? Moses was gay? I'm shocked!!!

no.. Sodom was from Mykonos.. or at least he spent the summers there

Ah yes, I may have noticed him there walking around feeling up the behinds of all the drunken Swedes. smile

2. profile image0

We did?

I think there was a vote or something smile

9. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

Moses existed; Quran has testified it and his life account which is very inspiring is there in the Quran. Who could be a more authentic than the Creator- God Allah YHWH?

Thanks

In other words, a mythical being existed because your book of myths confirms it. Very logical. smile

10. ReuVera profile image81
    ReuVeraposted 14 years ago

Just a short info first hand about "Adam". Yes, it means "red" and more than this. Several Hebrew words have the same root:
    Adom- red,
    Dam- blood,
    Adama- earth.

Adam was made from red dirt (earth). This made a complete sense to me after I lived in Israel. The earth in Israel is really red dirt. If you step into wet red dirt, oh, good luck cleaning it of.... it is very sticky.

The word "people" in Hebrew is "bnei adam", literally "sons of Adam", and in singular (a person, a man) is "ben adam"- son of Adam. 

Deborah, thank you for educating people. And please, don't pay attention to miserable and angry.

1. profile image49

Hi friend ReuVera

But for that you shall have to first prove that Adam was born from the clay of Jerusalem.

I think that Polish people are red colored.

Siri Lankans say that Adam was born there.

Thanks

1. profile image0

It doesn't mean the people are red and polish people are the same color as other people..they aren't red. I know of no red people.

2. profile image0

Sorry I missed your post. You are right. Of course you are you speak Hebrew smile.
      There are those who want it all to have happened in their country under their spiritual codes..but it happened in Israel and Adam does mean exactly as you have stated.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

11. djbraman profile image67
    djbramanposted 14 years ago

I love this hub, how informative, and I look forward to reading more!

1. profile image0

Thank you.
      I started it to inform, but it has gotten off track.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)