Obama offers to meet Leader of Iran?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

Is this rumor true.

A meeting with the President?

Where is Hilary?

Iamabignutjob, President of Iran has made nothing but threats and we are going to have a direct meeting with our POTUS with no prior diplomatic meetings?

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you know how to Google?  All of the answers to your questions can be found there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … ident.html

Earlier this month, Mr Ahmadinejad requested face-to-face talks with Mr Obama during the UN General Assembly meeting in New York. The White House had appeared to rule out any meeting.

However, in an interview with CNN, Gen Jones said “the door’s open” if the Iranians agree to resume talks with the International Atomic Energy Agency.

When asked whether Mr Obama may meet the Iranian leader, Gen Jones said: “Ultimately if we find a convergence of paths all things are possible.

Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh sorry I thought these were open forums, and I could start threads if i wanted too.  Now i know i should just google whatever interests me, and leave myself out of the forums.  Thanks for the advice.  thanks for being so polite. 

Whatever!

1. profile image0

I replied with sarcasm because of the tone of your post.  If you want to write a post that implies the President is meeting with a nut job who has made nothing but threats without said nutjob meeting certain conditions, and that either Hillary Clinton is not doing her job or the President is usurping her position, then be prepared for a reply like the one I gave.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
            Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The kitty has sharp claws.

1. profile image0

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IlK5K78xRWw/R7b8mkVwutI/AAAAAAAAAPg/nibCXWCeuWA/s400/funny-pictures-cute-fierce-kitten.jpg

1. earnestshub profile image82
                earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's no need to resort to horror pictures! smile
                My son and his girlfriend are getting one of those monsters today.
                I just hope it is not as scary as this one!

1. profile image0

Aw, I'm sure their kitty will be sweet, soft, and cuddly.

2. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would compare the number of threats made by America to the number of threats made by Iran before going all self righteous on this thread tongue

1. earnestshub profile image82
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said Olie, and one thing that never works is shutting down diplomatic process when there is adversity.

Good on the admin. Maybe we can discover the rest of the Iranian President's psychosis! smile

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

From the article the Iranians said:

We are ready to sit down with Mr Obama face-to-face and put the global issues on the table, man-to-man, freely, and in front of the media and see whose solutions are better. We think this is a better approach.”

I do think that if we are able to open diplomatic talks with Iran, it would be a good thing.  I just question the face to face talks directly with the President.  I do not think that would be proper.  I would like to see Iran integrate itself with the rest of Europe, but and this is a big but.  If Iran refuses to acknowledge Israel's right to exist then any diplomacy would be for naught.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what globe you bought, but Iran is nowhere near Europe geographically; I would consider asking for a full refund. In fact, that has to be a candidate for stupid remark of the year?

Iran is part of the middle east?  Eurasia? Asia? 

I appreciate your pointing out my stupidity, do you feel better now?

2. profile image0

I personally have no feeling one way or the other as to whether or not President Obama should have face-to-face talks with the president of Iran.  We cannot possibly know the what sort of diplomatic talks are occurring behind the scenes, so for us to be concerned about who talks to who seems rather presumptuous to me.  The President and his diplomatic staff will make the decision that seems right to them based upon their knowledge of the situation.

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

This reminds me of Iraq all over again. Saddum Hussain on tape stating clearly in an interview with an American that he would be open to talks with George Bush to avoid war.

The response of the American was to laugh in his face and say "are you kidding me?". And hey presto, a few weeks later there was a war.

History would suggest that if America wants to destroy something then it will. No amount of peace talks or attempts at diplomacy will change that, if you dont conform with American ideals then you are dead.

Ultimately, there is only a certain amount of terror that the American government can force upon the world before it runs out of money and resources. The question is, ultimately, whether your country will be occupied and invaded or whether you will turn to the 50 state solution.

The idea of America becoming 50 seperate entities really appeals to me. As a non-American of course. In fact, allowing states to impose inter-state trade embargos, quotas, tariffs, and to open up a competitive tax environment which sees states fight over labour, resources, business, is potentially the saviour for all of your problems. Taking away the power of your elitist central government and governing on an entirely local level would create the most exciting economical environment in the world and erradicate the most intimidating political environment in the world.

I can dream of course, for now I will fear for the welfare and livelyhood of the Iranian people. Iran, by the way, does more than any other country in the world to stem the flow of narcotics into developed societies. Perhaps Obama could extend his Olive branch and ask them for some pointers?

4. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

How sarcastic can you get Pretty Panther !!!   putting facts in the forums - whatever next !!!  why can't you just join in the spirit of these schoolboy level insulting and generally rude threads !!!!

1. profile image0

Yes, I am such a mean girl.  mad

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

I greatly appreciate your well thought out and positive response to the thread.  You have added so much to the discussion.

You are just fascinating with your wit and obvious vastly superior intellect.

1. Dave Barnett profile image56
        Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he's just shopping for a new prayer rug for the oval office.

1. rlaframboise profile image58
          rlaframboiseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ryankett

I agree with some of what you said, but you have to take into account the fact that America has not always had this foreign policy. In fact it is only quite recently in modern history that this trend has occurred.

Traditionally, the Republicans always stopped wars and stopped aggression, nation building, all of the stupid things America does now were argued debated and many of them stopped. We have had a shift since WWII away from our traditional policies of non-interventionism.

I like the 50 different state idea, although I disagree in NO central government because of the various trade implications,  in fact that's what was intended by our Constitution our government just doesn't follow it anymore.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

RB said - "You are just fascinating with your wit and obvious vastly superior intellect."

You don't set the bar very high.  The OP you submitted was a distortion.  I think all us crazy liberals respect your right to a different opinion. We object to an OP which suggests something that's contradicted by the facts.

Here are the facts. Two years ago, Obama indicated an interest in face-to-face talks WITH preparation - but without precondition. In other words, the meeting that Obam offered was a policy meeting between two heads-of-state, not a photo-op after negotiations are concluded by underlings. The prez of Iran ignored the offer. Now he's in a tougher spot with unrest at home and tougher sanctions and he wants to boost his own standing, so instead of real talks, he wants a circus in front of the world media. In diplospeak - Obama said 'Kiss my POTUS ass." The offer to meet was/is to address serious dfferences - not provide a photo-op for what's-his-name, the prez of Iran.

IMO, Obama has handled it well. You are entitled to a different opinion. But don't twist the facts - which are in the open - by introducing lies in the guise of a 'rumor'.

This is a perfect example.  I got to this line in your post and the rest was just blah blah blah I am smarter than you blah blah blah!

Does insulting me give you a higher level of self-esteem?

1. alternate poet profile image67
            alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You say you have self esteem problems, you also say that others have superior intellect, and you admit stupidity in any understanding of geography - so why do you complain and act the martyr when others try to point out simple facts to you ?

The condescension nauseates me.

5. Tom Cornett profile image81
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

Any effort of diplomacy to prevent war is much better than caskets draped with flags.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)