Weekly Topic Inspiration: Self Publishing

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Heya Hubbers!  Don't know what to write Hubs about this week? Karen Wodke offered the great suggestion that we discuss self publishing!

I did a bit of preliminary keyword research on the subject, and you might want to include one of the following keywords in your title, or a couple of these within the body of your text.  Alternately, these might give you some ideas for Hubs to write:

Keywords to consider using: christian self publishing, self publishing websites, self publishing reviews, best self publishing, self publishing company, self publishing software, self publish cookbook, magazine self publishing, self publishing resources, self publishing services, self publish poetry, self publishing on demand, self publish a book, self publishing vs traditional publishing, publish your own book, write your own story, publish your poetry, how to publish your own cookbook, print on demand publishers, how to self publish a book, write a book online

Keep in mind that you should check out competition for these keywords before settling on one for a title- if an exact title match already exists, you'll have to be a lot better than that article to beat it!  That said, if the existing top ranking result sucks, go for it!

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Thanks for this week's topic, Karen! I'm looking forward to reading Hubbers' self publishing tips big_smile
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5063877_f260.jpg

1. Karen Wodke profile image66
      Karen Wodkeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. I look forward to reading the responses too!

2. compassvan profile image61
      compassvanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Simone, once again a great weekly topic inspiration.

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's all thanks to Karen Wodke!

2. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 12 years ago

http://procw.com/hpimg/great-topic.jpg

This topic should both inspire and inform.

I'm looking forward to the hubs that come about from this topic as well.

Thanks, Karen and Simone!

Thanks ProCW!  I'm really interested in seeing what people end up writing about on this subject!

3. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

This is a bit of a rant from me, Simone...and it's about the previous weekly inspiration topic, Aging and Beauty.

There were good to great Hubs that met that challenge, but there was little to no promotion of them by HP, and recognition only of those Hubs that were published first...until you wrapped up the forum thread with a few nice gestures.

The holiday weekend was upon us (so, the first week in July might not have been the best time to launch this inspiration challenge), and everyone knows HP has mega-issues to deal with, but HP's disregard for those Hubbers who stepped up to this Aging and Beauty challenge and didn't get mentioned really smarts. There weren't that many of them.

We're doing our best, Sally's Trove big_smile
      As you pointed out, it was a bit of a busy week for us, so we were not able to promote the program as much as we wanted to.
      Though really it's all me- I'll try to do better this time.  Sometimes work just starts to snowball!  That said, this is a group effort.  The more everyone gets involved, the more useful the program is big_smile

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I'll be reading  these posts closely.  But I'm fairly new to self-publishing, so I don't think I'll be writing onthis topic, just reading.

1. purplefashion profile image61
      purplefashionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thats great

5. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 12 years ago

I've very excited about self publishing  ebooks. Frankly I am tired of my business being at the whim of other sites - decisions made by both HubPages and Google have affected my income in recent months.

Amazon is the king of ebooks now - but there are other players concerned as well - as yet there are few decent nonfiction books in Amzon's Kindle store - and even some traditionally published books have tragically poor formatting - why I don't know - its not hard to do!

When I started researching I found heaps of successful fiction writers on Kindle and other self-publishing platforms  some are making excellent money

Here's my hub http://hubpages.com/hub/Self-Publishing … or-Hubbers

1. celebritie profile image69
      celebritieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lissie, I read your hub and it is very informative, thanks for sharing.

2. Simone Smith profile image86

Yah! That was a good one!  And you put that together FAST!!! O_O

3. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very interested to read your hub Lizzie.  You inspired me to join HubPages almost 2 years ago.  I signed up from your profile page after printing, reading, and re-reading a stack of your hubs and other blog posts.

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice to meet you - glad you found this place before stuff changed - but onwards and upwards as they say :-)

4. profile image49
      Karin Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amazon is also doing hard copy book self-publishing.  My friend did one in the past year and he loves it.  The books cost about 8 quid and he gets a bit of every sale.  No 'middle man'.  Sounds like every writer's dream--provided you can get your name out there somehow...

6. BetteMachete profile image65
    BetteMacheteposted 12 years ago

Thank you a lot for this insight, very clear and easy to understand. Gives me something to think about.

7. glassvisage profile image83
    glassvisageposted 12 years ago

I hope that this isn't cheating, since this Hub has been published for a while, but I would like to post the link in case others find it useful:

How to self-publish a book: http://hubpages.com/_fcap/hub/How_to_publish_a_book

I was inspired to write this Hub after my very positive experience with the company Lulu.

I've never gone through Lulu before, though I've spent quite some time poking around their site. It was great to read your thoughts on them!

8. BethanRose profile image69
    BethanRoseposted 12 years ago

Damn! I did a hub on writing and publishing your own book, which would have fitted in great with this! I'm always too late.. hehe

Well, that just makes you ahead of the curve, eh? smile

9. Cari Jean profile image88
    Cari Jeanposted 12 years ago

If we publish a hub on the weekly inspirational topic can we also enter it in the contest as well?

10. nikkiraeink profile image61
    nikkiraeinkposted 12 years ago

I'd love to read a hub on publishing eBooks for Kindle or Nook.

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote one - see above - smashwords will distribute to Nook as well (barnes & noble I think) - while for Kindle you use their own interface

11. kd4rvb profile image60
    kd4rvbposted 12 years ago

Well being new I have to try it all right? Here is a link to mine, http://hubpages.com/hub/Self-Publishing … Technology and it is about using ebooks as a way of getting your work out there, after a bit of off the cuff history about publishing in general anyway. Great topic this week.

Yay! Welcome to HubPages, kd4rvb!  It's awesome to see you getting involved in our special programs so early on!

1. carol3san profile image60
        carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello there.  I joined hub pages about 5 months aga but I just started writing a few wekks ago now.  So far I only wrote 4 hubs.  But from what I can tell, I'll need to write a lot more than that in order to keep up with you guys...it's all good.  I love writing.

12. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Here is a link to my hub. Like myself a lot of persons do consider the option of self publishing so I thought of writing the advantages and disadvantages along with giving some tips on marketing.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Self-Publishing … -Know?done

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great hub, Cardisa.

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Flora!

2. Simone Smith profile image86

This was a great one, Cardisa! I appreciate the balanced self-publishing evaluation big_smile

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Simone.........big_smile

13. frugalfamily profile image71
    frugalfamilyposted 12 years ago

I like this topic.  I am in the middle of formatting my first self published book so I will be participating this time around!

14. rocketstore profile image60
    rocketstoreposted 12 years ago

hi thank for sharing with us a useful information about keywords.it help us a lot keep it up:)

15. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

This was a really fabulous week- and a great topic! Big thanks to everyone who published and to Karen Wodke for the topic. 

Our newest Weekly Topic Inspiration theme is shoreline adventures, and the forum thread is up!

We hope you join in on the fun big_smile

16. Davids writing profile image69
    Davids writingposted 12 years ago

I thought that I would share my experience of being (self-)published. This is a good avenue for anyone who is writing academic literature.

http://hubpages.com/_1545dbz9r7kpp/hub/ … ic-Authors

17. spirit929 profile image60
    spirit929posted 12 years ago

Great article, concise and an easy read! loved it! it will be very useful! thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)