While Earnest Hopping...Or The Importance Of Being Earnest?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (43 posts)
  1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I've been reading through some old posts in the forums by Earnest and thought I would put up one of my favorites...seems to be a bit of foreshadowing here.  Please feel free to add your own Earnest-ism.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74529#post1623064

1. calpol25 profile image58
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Earnest and me used to get into trouble for hijacking threads when I last talked to him because we both loved the same cartoon "Pinky & The Brain" and would sometimes write the theme tune on them, I cant find the one we done it on but it really annoyed some people but in a funny way...so thats my earnestism x

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

on a thread 'why do bad things happen to good people'

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/50940#post1165301

Earnest wrote: "It's dead simple. As some very wise person said.
      "S*it happens! "

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I like it, Earnestisms smile

1. calpol25 profile image58
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too smile

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Who knew the "importance of being Earnest" before these last few days?  smile

DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did, just like I also know the importance of being Randy Godwin! You two were like a three ring circus when you got together!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll sure miss him, DIY!  Perhaps we need to give away an Earnie Award each year!  smile

Love it and I think that's a great idea. But what the Southern girl in me wants to do most of all is make a casserole and take it by his family's house.
          Damnit. sad

We southerners always know what to do, DIY.  I'm missing getting drunk at the wake and talking BS with old friends!  I suppose this is the next best thing though.  smile

Here's to Earnest!

2. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really love that idea - and the "Earnie" goes to . . .

maybe the first one should be to Randy Godwin for having the idea and being uncharacteristically self-less big_smile - Earnest is proud of you, I'm sure!

I would not be worthy, Mega!  But thanks for the thought!  smile

2. Pcunix profile image90
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As long as it never goes to The Brother.,

+1      We don't refer to him as "BO" for nothin'!  lol

1. profile image0

yeah, more like BOO

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I'm not going to post the religious thread (six weeks ago) this one is on (because the actual thread isn't really the point here), but I think it's a cute "Earnest-ism":

From one of his posts:

"Look, to be honest with you, I'm damn near perfect."  (That quote by Earnest  was followed, of course, by the laughing emoticon.    This one:  lol    Not this one:  big_smile. (important to include the right context here  smile )

Here's a few more.  (I know there's only so much I can add to what's already been said, and what I've already said.  (Note:  That statement could be misinterpreted.  I don't mean that there's nothing left to for others to say, by any means. )  Still, when I saw this thread I just thought it might be just a little uplifting to some people on here to see some of the following "Earnest-isms":

From his Hub about not yelling at a dog while trying to train him:

"....say"Good boy" in your warmest voice once. reward with food to re-inforce the behaviour. The puppy will quickly go to the toilet on demand, and when he does not, clean it up and do not chastise the puppy. Make it clear that no one is to yell at or frighten the puppy as this is useless behavior that is cruel and counter productive."

From a comment by Earnest:

"....the youngest grandchildren are all accomplished grandfather handlers!

I find myself yelling out the clues in their TV shows while wearing a tutu and a silly hat far too often!"

From a forum thread:

"....lol I did that just for you. smile

I am having a very rough day today, with enough back pain to stop me from being able to drive. smile

Still happy though."

From the thread about the world ending on May 21 when Earnest acted as "our man in Australia" and reported the non-event:

"lol lol lol I could never have pulled it off without the foil hat though."

And another forum thread:

"...I live in paradise right now. Good weather, good economy. smile."

From a forum thread about who (at the time) was and wasn't happy on HubPages:

""I'm happy enough here. I won't buy all the doom and gloom until I see it reflected in my figures. smile"

and from the forum thread, What is real happiness?

"Happiness is understanding your life. smile"

5. DIYweddingplanner profile image77

Perfect! I think he would've loved it, especially the burp!

If you got class......roll

The two of you definitely classed up the place. You will have to carry the torch now, Randy!

2. Lisa HW profile image63
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Note:  For some reason, I came back to this thread and noticed that my first post was horrendously awkwardly worded.  I'm hoping that eye-rolling emoticon isn't because of that, because I didn't intend one statement to come across the way I later saw it could have.  I've re-worded it.  I guess I included it in the first place because I felt like I'd said quite a bit about Earnest in  one of the other forums (and added to the link for HP blog), and I was feeling self-conscious about adding so many "contributions".  The remark about not posting the religious thread was only because I was thinking it wouldn't be appropriate on this thread.  Anyway, if, by any chance, the eye-rolling thing was because of my post,  I've tried to fix it to make the message more in keeping with what I meant - not what I later saw it could look like I may have meant.  hmm   (If the eye-rolling thing wasn't even about my post - then disregard this particular explanation, of course.  I'm not really paranoid - just worried that somebody may have misinterpreted my poorly worded remarks.)

Not at all, Lisa!  lol  It was a response to DIY's post!  You're fine and I know Earnest would appreciate your comments!  smile

6. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Here is one I found about my mom and how although she is gone, she was not forgotten. I just read his reply and it made me smile. Amazingly it was in the same month of his passing. I will never forget that comment.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/51808?page=3

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image77

He certainly had a tender side, although I kind of like the one in the thread started by Greek One about Earnest being Satan. He commented in this thread just 7 short weeks ago.

"My soul? I seem to have misplaced it."

8. calpol25 profile image58
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

I wrote a collectio of hubs known as dont you just hates and my first one was Dont you just hate Ironing and here is what Earnest posted.

My daughter has 5 kids and refuses to do ironing! She has not done it for years. Even joined the group "I don't do ironing!"

Folding em properly and buying non iron clothes is the secret!

My daughter makes her living online giving tips to busy women about saving time by getting organised, but ironing? Nope! She tells people how to get it done efficiently but tells her 47000 readers that she doesn't do it herself anymore! smile

9. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Here is the Earnest I knew... one Saturday afternoon,there were not many here on the forums and we got talking about storms .. and here was the man... a very beautiful picture of our conversation... I did not interact much with him...but he was wonderful the couple of times we got talking ...  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69899#post1531570

1. Joy56 profile image66
      Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

aw Sofs i read that, and the tell tale signs of Ernest....... suffering, but  clutching on to his computer..... Lots of time to tell us about his grandchildren too aw....

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I liked his stories of the twins ...... He was one of the few people who positively commented on my poetry  too  smile

10. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

One of my all time favorite limericks written by Ernest:

I like the American way
    You can lay about the whole day
    if you own a big bank
    and the economy sank
    the government will still pay and pay.

11. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

I am getting so caught up in missing him also.  He annoyed me so much one time though that i made some awful comment about him, and i actually got banned.  Now that taught me a lesson.......

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

What a great line

" I live in a featherbed of child love! "

Good one, UW!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yeah, that's a really nice quote.....

13. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Here's a very very apt Earnestism, in relation to the question 'how would you like to die' -

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/17154#post248175

Ya got ya wish mate smile

1. profile image0

smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image77

Thank goodness for that!

3. Joy56 profile image66

wow how amazing that he got his wish to die in his sleep.  Someone was caring for him.....  This is so sad.....

14. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I didn't talk to earnest here often but I was able to exchange messages with him in facebook. He showed some place like six months ago where he is leaving, he said he was resting there, a nice cottage. His back was aching at times and that his grandchildren and children made him happy. He then said he was a cancer survivor.

His favorite singers were John Lennon and Elton John. He told me he met Elton John in Aus many years back.

15. DIYweddingplanner profile image77

I remember we were joking one time about followers and I said I had mostly female because of my user ID. He said he guessed he should have called himself Piston Broke since he wrote car hubs. He said he rather be Piston Broke than "pist and broke!" smile

16. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I think it would be ironically perfect to canonise the man !

Saint Earnest

Then he can be a thorn in the religious pants in absentia.

I'm sure he would get a good laugh out of that! Evidently, he's still a thorn in the pants of at least one of the fundies, hear that Earnest?  Your impact is far reaching even beyond death!  Who says there's no life after death? smile

2. Joy56 profile image66

jolly good idea.....

17. profile image53
    dysfnctnlparadiseposted 12 years ago

@wordscribe43 I enjoyed the limerick. Well said and very truthful. Made me smile a bit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)