Do You Know What You KNOW?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Chasukposted 12 years ago

Do you believe that you know what you KNOW,  or do you believe that you only BELIEVE what you know?

1. aka-dj profile image64
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

YES!

1. vector7 profile image60
        vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

Nice.

2. profile image0
        Chasukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

do you literally believe both simultaneously, or are you being facetious?

dj made a funny Chasuk.

smile

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think Donald speaks for all of us:

"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
      We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.
      But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know."

1. Jane Bovary profile image84
        Jane Bovaryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The latter I think- I only believe what I know. I believe that the sun will rise again tomorrow but I can't know that it will because it might not.

Or have I missed the point of the question? I believed I new it but now I don't know..

lol.. cute

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really like this response. It's the unknown unknown I keep an eye out for.

3. profile image0

I think that Rumsfeld was actually being quite clear when he said this. I've never understood the mockery.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

I wasn't mocking him. smile

1. profile image0

Thanks for the clarification. So many people do, that I wasn't sure. :-)

2. Jane Bovary profile image84
          Jane Bovaryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it had something to do with the source and delivery. If a crusty philosophy professor had proclaimed it from the leather chair in his book-lined study, while gazing thoughtfully at the embers of his dying fire, people may have thought it a penetrating, insightful observation.

1. profile image0

Rumsfeld presents a problem for me. I've listened to him speak, and I've read his memoir, and he is spooky smart. However, for various reasons too tangential to be shared here, I also believe that he is -- probably -- a truly evil man. To me, evil exists in intentional action. It isn't a metaphysical force, but it is expressed whenever a person knowingly performs, or causes to be performed, heinous acts. It might include failing to prevent a heinous act when it is within your power to do so.

So, here is Rumsfeld, spooky smart, who, by his action or inaction, countenances evil. I don't like admiring a man and despising him simultaneously. It makes me insecure about my knowledge. Maybe Rumsfeld knows something that, if I knew, would transform what I perceive as evil into a necessary thing, maybe even a good thing. As I say, Rumsfeld presents a problem for me.

Rumsfeld said this about his "known unknown" infamy:

"At first glance, the logic may seem obscure. But behind the enigmatic language is a simple truth about knowledge: There are many things of which we are completely unaware—in fact, there are things of which we are so unaware, we don’t even know we are unaware of them."

3. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to understand rather than believe.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

Grasshopper, when you believe, you will understand.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

No, you don't.

2. profile image0

I like that sentiment. It's pithy, deep, and I agree with it.

Consider it borrowed.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

Anytime, thanks. smile

lol

3. aka-dj profile image64

That's a laugh. lol lol lol

Oh, you mean FACTS, not people! sad

(My mistake!)

LOLOLOL..

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

It's your strongest characteristic and what you're best at doing.

1. aka-dj profile image64

You snipped the BEST part.

Why? 'Cause it's true, that's why!

4. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that I know what I know, when I say that I know it, but I do believe that I may be wrong about what I know, and, so, only believe that I know it.

Who was it, who said that someone who knows, what he doesn't know, knows more than he thinks he knows? ~ Or words to that effect. smile

1. profile image0

I'm not sure who said it, but I appreciate the sentiment.

5. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since I don't have all the answers and I like to question everything, I'd say: I know what I've learned and experienced up to now, but what I know in the present is not a definite belief system.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
        Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haha you have to think that your belief is true otherwise you wouldn't really believe it would you?

1. profile image0

The words "believe" is definitionally awkward.

For example, the common definition of "believe" is, "accept x as true."

What, then, does "I believe that x is true" actually mean? It parses as, "I accept that x is true is true."

My question was intended to spark a discussion of the many interesting puzzles of epistemology.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it failed.

6. vector7 profile image60
      vector7posted 12 years ago

Considering I'm willing to step in front of a loaded pistol aimed at another individual to protect them and considering it no loss to me due to trust in Christ if the trigger slips?

[proof in pudding - have done it]

Yes, I believe I know what I know.

7. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I hold very few beliefs and none of them have anything to do with what I know.

1. profile image0

Elaborate, please.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had thought I spoke quite clearly. What is it that you need elaborated?

1. profile image0

You make a distinction between belief and knowledge. I request an elaboration of that distinction.

Your observation apparently is a bit messed up considering I said no such thing. I stated that I hold very few beliefs and those beliefs have nothing to do with what I know I know.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
                Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you just get out of detention hall, Cags?  lol  I figured it was about time you were paroled again!  I certainly hope you learned to respect your "betters"!  tongue

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

lol lol lol Hello to you too Randy. And, yeah I was paroled. lol

I was going to check last night to see how much longer it was till you had your parole hearing, but I was accosted by some religionists and forgot.  Welcome back, There's still plenty of trouble in paradise!  tongue

>

2. vector7 profile image60

lol

"I believe i believe / have beliefs"

"and has nothing to do with / is seperate from / is distinct from [distinction]"

"what I know I know / knowledge"

lol

Yeah, 'nothing to do with' doesn't mean there is a distinction at all.......... lol

roll

3. profile image0

Your memory is apparently a bit messed up, considering that you actually said, "I hold very few beliefs and none of them have anything to do with what I know."

This clearly makes a distinction between belief and knowledge.

I'll diagram it for you, so that you understand your own words:

"few beliefs"

--> "NONE of them [those 'few beliefs') have ANYTHING to do with what I know" <--

"what I know"

Do you see that separation? That's called a distinction, which you made here when you separated "belief" and "knowledge" according to criteria or criterion that I asked you to elaborate.

If the reason that you made this distinction is too difficult for you to remember -- due to your faulty memory -- just let me know, and I'll understand.

WOW!

Apparently, you seem to think that "what I know I know" as knowledge? If I read your words correctly. "What I know I know" isn't knowledge by itself. You made the distinction.

My beliefs as they are few, DO NOT have anything to do with "what I know I know". I hold NO beliefs with regards to what I know I know.

Knowing something isn't the same as knowledge. Knowledge is just one aspect of what the totality of everything accumulated to gain wisdom.

Wisdom is truth in the truest form. Beliefs are thoughts/ideas which are believed true. Belief isn't necessarily true, especially if it's based on a lie to begin with. A belief becomes non-existent when that person no longer believes it to be true, but found truth about it through wisdom.

I hope that explains.

Don't try to use logic, facts, and reasoning with this guy, Cags.  He won't fall for those old tricks!  lol

8. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 12 years ago

We just don't know what we don't know,  Ya Know?

9. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

What I know, I know. What I don't know, I can learn, and if what I know is wrong, I'm always willing to modify what I know. Any other questions? You a cop, or are you writing a book?

10. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 12 years ago

Gawd, I JUST started a thread almost exactly like this-my apologies, I didn't see this one before!  Well, maybe 2 will be extra-interesting and full of 'knowledge'!
      lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)