H1N1 Vaccine...should I or shouldn't I???

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

I need some advice here.  We are in the midst of our vaccination campaign and I am being forced to make a decision on whether or not to vaccinate my children.  I just don't know what to do. 

On one hand, I want to protect my children from that flu, but on the other hand, I feel I need to protect them from the vaccination as well because I know so little about it and that scares me.

Any good advice out there?  anyone already vaccinated and experiencing any problems? 

Thanks in advance,

Megs

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can request mercury free vaccine if that's what concerns you.

1. megs78 profile image61
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im not exactly sure what it is that concerns me, that is what the problem is.  i dont know enough about it to make a good decision, or an informed one anyway.

1. LiamBean profile image80
          LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No one could tell you "yes" or "no" with a clear conscience. The best thing to do is read as much as you can on the subject so you can make an informed decision.

There are a number of hubs on Swine Flu right here. Just look for hubs under the category: health, personal health, cold and flu.

2. Blogging Erika profile image69
      Blogging Erikaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

H1N1 is really communicable, miserable, and potentially dangerous (just like "the regular flu").  However, the risks from the vaccine are virtually nil.  Definitely lower than the risks of complications arising from the flu.

Thimerosal is NOT an ingredient in either the single-dose unit or the nasal spray (but it is an ingredient in the multi-dose unit).  If the (very tiny) amount of thimerosal concerns you, then request either the nasal spray or the single-dose unit.

A friend of mine has 3 kids.  His entire family came down with swine flu 2 weeks ago.  His youngest, 3 years old, had to be hospitalized for complications stemming from the infection.  He developed pneumonia, and had to spend 3 days in the ICU. 

Why risk getting the flu?  It kills 36,000 people a year in the US.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Considering risks of undertested medication and questionable dangers of the illness itself, we will not. Your decision is yours.

1. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto - I am totally there

3. profile image48
    badcompany77posted 14 years ago

I am with Misha on this one, I  deff won't be getting it !

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea there's a sign at my work to get it but then everyone was talking that it isn't approved by the FDA so I think I am opting out on this one besides, i'm in my thirties. I work in a nursing home and it seems that all the nurses are always trying to get everyone vaccinated with everything. I run the other way. lol

4. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I've talked to a couple doctors about this, and they all told me that they themselves aren't comfortable with it, and aren't encouraging their patients to get it. 

I never get the flu shot anyway, but I won't be getting this one either.

5. megs78 profile image61

Do all of you have children?  i'm only asking so that I know where you are coming from.  For myself, I probably won't get the shot, but when it comes to the kids...I just don't know.  A 12 year old boy died yesterday in Toronto and apparently it was from swine flu and now I'm screwed up all over again.  What to do...

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have three boys.  I was talking to their doctor last week about it.  She told me that they won't even have the vac until next month, and she told me that she wouldn't bother with it. 

According to her, the most important things to do if your kid gets it is to treat the fever and keep them hydrated.  She said that it is like other viruses, and just have to run it's course and is running between 4 to 10 days.

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

3 and 5 years old. Actually, 26 too - but he is capable of his own discretion already lol

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow that's a tough call. Swine Flu is hitting young people the hardest for some reason. I always made sure my son was vaccinated when he was little but...something as new as this vaccine...I don't know if I would permit that. I myself won't be getting the shot but as far as my child if it were me I would probably not. Good luck.

6. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I had my son at his Pediatrician yesterday (unrelated wellness check) and we discussed the flu vaccine, he offered it for my son but when I declined he didn’t even question why. In a short discussion he said the only vaccine available (to him anyway) was the Live virus type he also said most entities (CDC & WHO) are pushing vaccination for younger children, but get this, not so much to protect the kids, but protect their parents.

He said this strain while not completely understood, appears to be attacking the strongest in our society (18 –30) by forcing strong immune systems into overdrive fighting the virus, but in so, its their own immune systems creating more problems than the flu.

My advice (for what it is worth) if your family is not normally susceptible to the Flu (any type) as ours is, (I can’t remember a time when any of us had the Flu) do not take it. If your family history is susceptible then you have some thinking to do. My son’s Doctor agreed.

7. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

He also said his best advice for preventiion was hand and face washing, often. Each time you come into contact with something outside your household environment.

8. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

If you choose not to get vaccinated, there are several things you can do to help prevent infection. Readytoescape is exactly right about 18-30 yr old's immune systems going into overdrive.

There are hubs about protecting yourself. Several have written about this, as well as myself.

Viruses can cause a series of events in the body that can lead to strange things like autism, diabetes and other maladies. Statistically it can be verified, but is in reality, a low percentage of people who contract such other conditions from a virus. However, it's still wise to be aware of the facts.

I've had a couple of flu shots, both of which made me sick for a couple of days. After investigating because I was told over and over the you don't get sick from vaccines, I discovered it was my immune system going into overdrive that triggered the fever and other flu-like symptoms. So yes,I got sick. It wasn't the virus making me sick, it was my own immune system's defenses. The information given to me wasn't complete, and was a half truth. So you can begin to see how vaccines can act so completely adversely in our bodies.

Therefore, it's pretty important for us to become educated with facts.

My personal opinion is that education and prevention can be as powerful as the vaccines.

9. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Here are two pieces of info on the h1n1 vaccine directly from the CDC.  They are in PDF so it takes a minute to load.  Please Read!  The first one is on the Nasal vaccine, the second is The shot.

The Nasal:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/do … v-h1n1.pdf

The Shot:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/do … t-h1n1.pdf

10. megs78 profile image61

thanks everyone for responding, i appreciate it!  i talked to my doctor today, because my daughter is on antibiotics for streptococcus and she is reacting to them.  while we were talking about it, we talked also about the vaccination.  i asked if she was going tohave it done and she answered 'absolutely, as are my two sons'. 

that kind of surprised me because i was under the impression that most doctors are not getting the shot, but pushing it on their patients.  so then i had to think a bit.  I actually did get my son vaccinated for the chicken pox because i already went through a horrible experience with that with my daughters...and both of them at the same time at the ages of 9 months (over 500 pox) and 2 years (30 or so pox).  because of that experience, I didn't hesitate to vaccinate my son against it even though its relatively new and not actually necessary.  so why not the swine flu vaccine?  what is holding me back?

11. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I have no qualms about getting the H1N1 shot at all.

12. megs78 profile image61

so i just got the news that my niece has swine flu.  we live too far apart for me to worry about getting it, but she is sick something awful.  my sister is watching her like a hawk and making sure she doesnt show any signs of respiratory distress, but she is pretty scared of what can happen.  i think i will go get the vaccine now. what do you think?

13. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

The chances of anything major happening to your kids from swine flu is small compared to the risk with the regular flu.

If you get them shots for the regular flu, then do the swine flu.

If not, don't worry about it.

14. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
    Ryan Hupferposted 14 years ago

This would make for a great question:

http://hubpages.com/answers/latest/

15. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

I won't be getting the shot and neither are my children.  My daughter was sent home from daycare because she was running a fever and I took her to the doctor today and he said she will be just fine and don't listen to all that media hype about swine flu.

16. ScarletRyan1970 profile image60
    ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years ago

NO!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)