Why do people still smoke?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (48 posts)
  1. NVRFAIR profile image59
    NVRFAIRposted 14 years ago

I have never been the smartest person in the world but I guess I have never understood why people still smoke. There is so much evidence out there proving that if you continue to smoke that you  will die, I mean if you want to die just shoot yourself because it won't be as painful. People are constantly making excuses about it which drive me nuts,"Well my parents did it so I wanted to". What I don;t get is that so many people do it, it isn't just the fact that some people do it, its that so many people do it.

Can anyone tell me why people start smoking still, and if so why they continue to smoke even after they learn it is deadly?

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same comments apply to marriage - we still do that though huh !! ?

Many things in life kill us - including half the processed stuff we eat that is 'in your face' because someone is making big money from it, pushed on us and our kids.

I have been smoking all my life at 20 to 40 per day and gave up (under irresistable partner pressure) 9 months ago - the biggest dissapointment is that I feel no different in any way, no fitter, healthier or any discernable change at all.

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

stick with it though, chinaman, depending on how long you actually smoked it will take that much longer to truly recover, but it will happen.  I have one friend who believes it took her seven years to completely recycle all the injured cells in her body that healed after she stopped smoking.  that may or may not be true, but for me it took at least two years to really notice the change, and it was so gradual that I had to really examine the differences in my life.  thing is, when I am still with some people who smoke I do have one or two, but don't think it makes that much impact on me.  I still feel much, much better than when I was smoking everyday, 10 to 20 in a day.  it was the hardest thing I ever did.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They still think it is 'cool'.  The kids try it because they get told all sorts of bs about how it helps you cope with stress and it relaxes you and makes your food settle better and stuff like that.

What they really don't get is that nicotine is more addictive then heroin.  Nicotine causes your heart rate to increase not decrease and they have this false sense of euphoria.

It's hard to quit the addiction alone but you can get over it like you would any other addiction.  You go through withdrawals and it sucks.  The hardest part is getting over the mindset that something is missing in your life, that things will never be the same and especially the sense that they did something for you.

What is complex about nicotine or smoking is that it doesn't bother any smoker to not smoke when "they" don't want to.  They could go for months on their own accord just because and not be phased by it but as soon as you suggest that they can never smoke again... well...

Getting over the relationship is harder then getting over nicotine addiction but it works two fold, one on your physical body and second on your mind.

Doesn't matter what you tell them about smoking, it's finding the right way relay the information and since everyone is different, even though all started smoking for essentially the same reasons, they have to hear it the right way.

It's like math.  You can know the outcome every time.  You were told the formula.  You can go through the motions, the long hand math but it never really makes sense to you until it is explained in terms that you can relate to.

My two cents.  Wont come back here because I everyone hates and x smoker. big_smile

3. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do people do anything? They do it because they want to and because they can! Isn't freedom wonderful?

4. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People start smoking for various reasons.  Most who do, however, probably dont look at it as a lifelong habit.  For many people it is.

If you havent smoked or been addicted to nicotine, you will never know why people continue to smoke.  It is not a matter of just one day saying I do not wish to smoke anymore.

I tend to believe that there are people who have a larger predisposition than others to become addicted.  I chewed tobacco (I have quit for over 2 years).  I chewed one time and I was addicted.

Was it my fault?  Yes, it was.

The bottom line is it is very easy to become addicted to nicotine and in some social circles it is behavioral norm.  That is why it is so ubiquituos.

5. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The nicotine is a strong toxin. Its a addictive chemical. Some may even get a some what high from it. Some may be scared to stop because of the cravings from it. They may get fat.

6. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Smokin what ? smile

1. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't ask!  lol

7. Techtree profile image60
      Techtreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Smoking is the best way to loss weight. One lung at a time.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Personally, because I enjoy it.

I enjoy many things that might be fatal, driving cars, riding motorcycles, eating steak, sex, etc.etc.etc.

1. jabyrd82 profile image60
      jabyrd82posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is very true you on live once! Enjoy it!!!!!!

3. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Well, I'm not so sure about starting. As for stopping I know from experience that it is very hard. Not impossible...but very hard.

From what I understand, nicotine is the most addictive substance on earth.

It has little to do with intelligence, and with all due respect, you undermine the suffering of smokers and those who are attempting to quit smoking when you suggest such a thing.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Maybe they're on fire! smile

1. profile image0
        IĆ°unnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, the Funniest Post goes to...
        earnesthub!
        woo hoo

lol

Well, I'm not trying to quit out right but I did switch to the e-cig a while ago...
        which I just tried lighting with my Bic. Go figure. The next thing I'll probably do is try to light a Marlboro with a battery charger.

I think it's time to go to sleep, and my brain seems to be way ahead of me there. lol

2. GoGranny profile image61
      GoGrannyposted 14 years ago

Many of us smokers ask ourselves this very question everyday. Especially myself and my many co-workers, we work in a nursing home and we directly witness the horrific physical effects smoking has on the human body. We talk about it often as we puff away on our cigarettes. We just don't know why we won't quit despite our medical knowledge and what we see on a daily basis. It truly is a terrible addiction.

3. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years ago

If you have never smoked or maybe smoked once when you were little and it made you sick - you will never, never, ever, ever, be able to understand and anything any smoker says about reasons or lack of reasons will ever ever ever make any sense to you.  But asking about it the way you did sounds like you just want to kinda brag about how good you are for not smoking . . . not nice.

4. luvpassion profile image62
      luvpassionposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure about this but my father grew tobbaco in Virginia and I think since its restricted in so many more buildings now, the tobbaco companies are upping the nicotine content.

5. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

"Everything good in life is illegal, immoral, or fattening. Anything not fitting these categories probably causes cancer in rats." -Unknown Source

I smoke because I want to and, to be honest, I've given up things that are far worse than a few cigarettes each day. If I want to have one luxury in life, that's my business, not anyone else's. Do I endorse or encourage smoking? No. "Do as I say, not as I do" is a sign I proudly display on my kitchen wall.

6. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years ago

oh you know, I also think they are doing these studies on people and some of us seem to have more brain receptors that make those soma chemicals when we have nicotine, booze, sugar, really good sex, etc. which means there may be a physical, hereditated reason why some of us are more prone to addictions.  It really isn't an "excuse" . . . but also we are more creative. so there. nyah nyah nyah!

7. luvpassion profile image62
      luvpassionposted 14 years ago

I only quit because it was my grandmother's dying wish. It was a struggle. She had two sisters die from lung cancer, they were in their 70s. It was hard for me especially with my dad growing it. LOL

1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww, that is really an admirable thing, honoring your grandmother's last wishes. I'm sure it will benefit you in the long run as well.

8. NorwinGalle profile image58
      NorwinGalleposted 14 years ago

may be emotional attachment with cigarettes.

1. edguider profile image64
        edguiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must admit that I do not have an emotional attachment to cigs but I do still smoke socially at clubs when I drink

9. Origin profile image60
      Originposted 14 years ago

This can be said about many things.

Why do people drink if they know it can be unhealthy?
      Why do people eat McDonalds if they know it can be unhealthy?
      Why do people mountain climb if they can fall to their death?
      Why do people sky dive if they can go splat and die?
      Why do people eat a lot of deserts when they know they can gain weight and die?
      Why do people need to have coffee all the time? This can lead to problems too.

The list goes on, and on. This isn't just about smoking, it's about everything that people do. Some things are not healthy, true. But smoking isn't the only culprit here. A lot of things that 'normal' people do could be labeled as unhealthy too, it's just not in the media spotlight, yet.

10. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/12/4/633955431631365795-ORALFIXATION.jpg

11. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 14 years ago

why don't people just give each other sex whenever someone asks for it?

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY THE POINT I HAVE BEEN MAKING SINCE PUBERTY!!! THANK YOU!!

1. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm always trying to make life simpler for everyone, but for some reason people never take my suggestions!  I don't know why!

1. Greek One profile image63
            Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

because they are not as liberated as you! (or as perverted as I)

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 14 years ago

i hear it is better than prozac.

13. andromida profile image53
      andromidaposted 14 years ago

Some people really love to smoke their lungs out smile

14. romper20 profile image83
      romper20posted 14 years ago

In fact, I'm seriously wondering that too. I feel if people are going to smoke they should at least go electic to save their bodies. Check my hubs for a full analysis on the alternatives...

Overall great Hub, and keep up the good work Ben!

RomperHubbers

1. Ben Evans profile image64
        Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you,

Nicotine is a hideous habit.

Cheers,

Ben

15. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Interesting to see that you feel that other people should do what you want them to do? roll  Smoking is a choice.  To be honest, I have stayed out of the forum thread for a reason, and that reason was because I am of the understanding that ANY addiction can be beaten, as long as a person puts their mindset to overcome it and sticks with it.

The human mind and will are the powerful tools a person has and both can never be truly measured. So, that leaves only one answer- mind over matter.  As long as you do not mind, it does not matter. If you happen to be weak-willed, then admit and seek help. If you're not, then you understand smoking is a choice.

Just a thought. smile

It's more than mind over matter. For many, it is a complete lifestyle change which includes living space, friends, family, work, nutrition and attitude. It is proven that addiction is a gene that we all have but it can be turned "on" for people who have a family history of addiction. It can be turned "on" for those without a history. It's hit and miss on how the experience is for that person. Unfortunately, once the switch is flipped to "on", it cannot be turned "off". Hence, once an addict, always an addict. The choice is to continue working on a program that supports the person to stay off of the addiction and this work is only measured by the moment. There are different triggers that can cause an addict to crave what he is addicted to. For smokers, it might be a football game, a particular bar, a scent, a movie, friends, a card game and so on. To be able to choose to not turn to smoking, the person has to be honest with himself to decide whether he can resist when he is in those circumstances. That's the choice.

1. profile image59
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beth, do you know that if you smoke after sex, then you are doing it too fast? smile

lol  I think we had this conversation before?!?  lol  Smoking and steaming -- now, that's too fast!  smile

How are you tonight logic?

1. profile image59

Must have slipped my mind!  Must be going to fast!
              I'm barely awake, looking for a little levity!
              Is it warming up in the Great White North?

Aye, you're waking and I'm falling!  It's spring finally, though we did have some snow last week.  I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed again at the end of the month!  Oh, but that's okay...you're pretty fast and ya can keep me steaming!  lol

1. profile image59

Youre pretty hot all on your own!smile

Better when there's two!  wink

1. profile image59

I know that's right!  Especially when one of them is as sweet as you!

16. Csjun89 profile image61
      Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Probably their cultural norms and peer pressures, coupled with the chemical addiction of the cigs.

17. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 13 years ago

Smoking is like any other addiction -- it's difficult to quit without proper support. 

I work with cancer patients on a daily basis, and I walk away perplexed when I see some of these patients standing outside in the smoking only designated areas away from the hospital grounds puffing away, and they are fully aware that their cancer stems from their smoking. 

Perhaps we underestimate the power of addiction whether the addiction is to cigarettes, drugs and/or adreline rushes through dangerous activities/sports/sex.

18. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 13 years ago

Ah,  you're the sweet one!

(are we hijacking the wrong thread??)  big_smile

19. CYBERSUPE profile image59
      CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Health issues and Death happens to the other guy, not to Me !
      Great thinking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)