jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Why are so many of us afraid of death?

1. sassysexybossy profile image60
    sassysexybossyposted 4 years ago

It is very few people that isn't afraid of death.

1. calpol25 profile image77
      calpol25posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Im not afraid of death, but more afraid of how I am gonna die smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Because most people are afraid of the unknown. We cannot (if you believe in reincarnation) remember what it's like to die.

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am not fearful of death, I am just not ready to go yet. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

Ever since I was diagnosed with cancer and survived I haven't been afraid of dying. But, like calpol said, it's the how that worries me smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, the unknown.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

I nearly died at age two and a half. I remember it all too, including looking down on my body.

It was a life changing event and I was lucky enough to have it early. I've always felt that surviving meant I was here for a reason. And I'm kind of looking forward to dying because I love trying new things...

If we do become balls of energy that hang around and annoy people, I think I'd kind of enjoy that. When I was younger I decided that as long as I had the use of my brain and could communicate in some form, I'd be happy to continue with life, no matter what happened. I figure being a ghost would be similar.

As for heaven/hell, well I don't think I'd be too afraid of that because I don't think we can really know what they'd be like even if they are real.

As for reincarnation, I've always wondered what it would like to be a dog (do they really just see black and white?) or a fly (great eyesight!)

And if it's just a long sleep? Well I'm packing enough into life that I'll need it!

So no, I'm not really scared of death, just more of the pain before it happens.

4. KeithTax profile image81
    KeithTaxposted 4 years ago

Living scares me more than dying. I make it a point to live each day as if it is my last. I have no regrets. Perhaps regrets are the root of the fear of dying.

5. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 4 years ago

Its the fear of the unknown, not only what happens next, but I agree with Calpol that being scared of how you die, is just as frightening. I wouldn't mind reincarnation, as long as I could chose what to come back as. I think I would go for a Chimpanzee, I'd still be intelligent, but wouldn't have to worry about things like bills, instead I'd be more concerned about how many bananas I could fit in my mouth, and I'd get to live in the trees.