I have a friend at work that is addicted to Baking Soda. How?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Dee42 profile image59
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

She acts like a crack addict, hiding it, spilling it a little in the break room.  I just don't understand, how can this be? She has tried to stop before and can't. I wonder what other crazy addictions do people have?  I'm not perfect either.  I am addicted to coffee and BAD.  I get bad headaches if I don't get my caffeine.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do you know it really is just baking soda...

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll  Sheeesh.. pass the shades! You know it's Baking Soda by how much Whiter her teeth get every time she 'uses!' big_smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. kissayer profile image61
      kissayerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Does she eat it? That is really odd... it is just like that strange addictions TV show. I can't see the attraction in baking soda, but whatever floats her boat I guess tongue

3. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A really sad addiction in the gay community is poppers. It's a liquid that you snort up your nose. Almost everyone I know does it, but, I personally can't stand the smell of it, or be around it. Makes me sick.

Never heard of anyone dying from it, but, doing enough of it is worse than being a drunk. I have seen some people fall down while using it, and your ability to think clearly is about like being as dumb as a rock.

4. profile image53
      h4s123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I stopped eating it, I noticed my skin becoming more wrinkle like, and my skin on my face reacted negatively to it, causing painful bumps that were large, and took some time for my skin to clear up. I think it was God telling me to give up the addiction, through Jesus Christ. Try eating grind powdered peanuts, or some other kind of nut that is slightly salted with a nice amount of iron content, like chia seeds, or flax seeds.

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Have you ever seen the show "Strange Addictions?"

Your friend is normal compared to a lot of them in that she is compulsively eating something that's at least technically edible (or at least, used in food). Still, it may qualify as a form of pica in my unprofessional Google-informed opinion. It may be a symptom of an underlying issue that needs to be addressed, and there are health risks associated with baking soda intake. From Wikipedia (this refers specifically to using baking soda medicinally):

"Adverse reactions to the administration of sodium bicarbonate can include metabolic alkalosis, edema due to sodium overload, congestive heart failure, hyperosmolar syndrome, hypervolemic hypernatremia, and hypertension due to increased sodium. In patients consuming a high-calcium or dairy-rich diet, calcium supplements, or calcium-containing antacids such as calcium carbonate (e.g., Tums), the use of sodium bicarbonate can cause milk-alkali syndrome, which can result in metastatic calcification, kidney stones, and kidney failure."

I hope your friend stays healthy and figures out a way to beat the habit.

1. Dee42 profile image59
      Dee42posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh thankyou! Yes, I have seen that show 'strange addictions' advertised, and I said 'oh, grose' and went on to something else.  Oh my gosh tho, Im glad you wrote in, I will address this to her, if she will listen. And there was a girl said that she ate red dirt, didnt know if this is the same kind of thing or not.

2. A Thousand Words profile image68
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

same

3. Dee42 profile image59
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

lol really.

4. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 12 years ago

Someone I knew used baking soda as a way of treating his indigestion. To start he would lick his finger and dip it in to the soda. Eventually he was eating it by the spoonful any chance he could get. Not addicted so much as the indigestion had gotten out of control and the baking soda was not giving him the relief it had in the early stages. He ended up at the hospital, had an endoscopy and has been on prescribed drugs for years. No more soda, addiction overcome.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I hate doctors. So here's a man with a legitimate problem, tried self medicating, and instead of the doctors healing him and telling him what caused his problem, they give him another medication to be addicted to. Welcome to America.

1. profile image52
        Robertr04posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad someone is seeing what's going on.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
          Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if his problem was acid reflux disease or something similar then medication is, in fact, the only "cure" available. I hope they ruled out diet-related causes and other things first; that post may be a long story short, mind you.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

My doctor prescribed the stuff to me.  Otherwise, I would not take it.  The pharmacy only had it in this big tablet form.  As in--gag me with two per day!  I think I have about 200 tablets left, but I don't have any fun with them.  Trust me.

6. Stickmonkey profile image59
    Stickmonkeyposted 11 years ago

Different strokes for different folks.
    But I do know that addiction is a sneaky strange disease.

7. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

If baking soda is so dangerous, why wouldn't the food and drug administration ban toothpaste manufacturers from putting it in toothpaste if it is that addictive? But, than again, Coke used to have a blend of cocaine in it when it first came out. Probably why it was so addictive. But, with all the recalled drugs, and deaths from recalled drugs. I wonder if the food and drug administration even checks anything. There is always something out there that is addictive, and life threatening.

I used baking soda in my toothpaste the other day, and could not believe how white my teeth were when I was finished brushing. I plan on brushing with it again, but, will keep the soda use to a minimum.

1. StandingJaguar profile image68
      StandingJaguarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think baking soda will be dangerous to you in the amounts used for brushing teeth. I think people were pointing out the risks of consuming several spoonfuls of it every day, which is just something your body isn't really supposed to do. (But I agree, the FDA is is just politics!!)

8. Stickmonkey profile image59

I do not think that baking soda is dangerous at all.
    I think that the disease of addiction,just uses different things  to make folks act out additively.
    Like with the other lady,it was toilet paper,or another that snorted comet.
    Even without a physical drug,some folks act out addictivelly without it.

1. profile image53
      h4s123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Baking soda itself is not a food source of some sort you grow from seeds or a plant.  I was eating it often, and my body responded negatively to it.  If you are eating a variety of junk foods, and certain meats with steroids injected and such, then when your body reacts negatively, you may not know exactly what caused the reaction.  I had a limited diet, and the only difference was baking soda, so when I had chest pains, and slight stomach pain, and painful bumps break out on my face, then I knew what the cause stemmed from, and that was baking soda.  So now eating like nuts in a grind or such with a nice iron content helps me a lot.

9. Stickmonkey profile image59

As a recovering addict myself,I know that over the years,in my teen days,I researched every possible way to get high legally.Never once did the topic of baking soda ever come up,or sound like a good idea
    of mine or any of the friends from high school, college,in any of my friends on the two ships that I was on,the drug abuse treatment centre that I worked at for two years ,so I think this is just confusion about the disease of addiction and how it works(witch after being in recovery since 1994,I still do not completely understand).But I have been wrong before as well.

I have done some on line research with Google and Bing,and as far as I can tell by my readings,we are allowed to post back links to other sites that are on topic mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

http://www.livestrong.com/sodium-bicarbonate/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)