Should I teach my kids about Santa Claus?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. VVanNess profile image77
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

Should I teach my children about Santa Claus?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Santa Claus game is a very fun one for both parents and children.  It adds to the delight of parents at their children's enjoyment, it adds to the magic of Christmas for children, and it does no harm.

I've never head of a kid calling their parent a liar over Santa - rather they are sad when it all ends.  Most  will even try to maintain the story for younger siblings, helping them enjoy and fun as much as they themselves did.

2. insearchof truth profile image85
    insearchof truthposted 11 years ago

This is a hard one. I grew up in a cult and Santa was taboo.  I felt like I was an outsider at school and missed out. Never had presents at Christmas.  My Mum hated being told a lie and thought we would too. My eldest daughter was taught about Santa, and now she knows the truth continues for the younger kids. She loves it and wasn't bitter at all. My husband grew up with it so I always respected his wishes despite my reservations about the lie. I hope this practical information helps you. There is no right or wrong, as a parent you make the best decision you can given all the information at the time. Your kids will cope, no matter what!

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

This isn't a "hard one" for me. My parents had us believing in Santa when we were little, and it was so much fun. I remember the anticipation so well. It was so fun decorating a special Christmas cookie for him and leaving it out with a glass of milk. Hanging stockings, making a wish list, trying my best to be good, all those things I remember well with great fondness and happiness. It was so much fun and so exciting. When I realized Santa was impossible, I was never angry at my parents or felt like I had been lied to. It was fun and I enjoyed every minute of it. It is part of what makes Christmas magical.

My husband and I did the Santa thing with our kids, and I think it was just as fun for them as it was for me. Watching them look out the window, watching the NORAD Santa radar on the internet, leaving carrots for the reindeer, cookies and milk for Santa, they loved it all and (I'm hoping) cherish the memories. I know I cherish them, and took pictures of the cookies they made and keep the letters and notes they wrote to Santa in their keepsake chests. Sprinkling glittery oatmeal out on the lawn in the cold night air, in their pajamas, when they were five and two is one of the all-time cutest videos I have of my kids.

Very small children are of course very gullible, but older children figure it out, and that is part of the fun of it, also. Watching your children learn to think for themselves and figure things out is also fun and rewarding.

Every family is different, so follow what you think is right for you. We are easy-going, fun-loving people and Santa brought us some great memories. We don't take many things too seriously, and our kids are basically the same. They enjoyed Santa and knew it was all in good fun. They never accused of lying to them. We live in the Bible belt and know people who are so stoic and serious about their religion that they did not allow their kids to experience the Santa tradition. That is their choice, of course, but it is my belief that there is room for Santa and Christ in a child's life. The time that they are young enough to believe in Santa is very short. Santa is just one part of the Christmas season. It does not have to be the focus.

4. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

Perpetuating the myth of Santa Claus is actually quite fun, and it's nowhere near as harmful as the myth of God or the myth of good Michael Bay films.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)