How do we market our self published writing without spending the farm?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. thecollecktor profile image65
    thecollecktorposted 14 years ago

I recently published a book using Lulu.com.   The next step is to market it so others might discover it with the hope of building sales. Lulu offers marketing along with editing and other services to help in this effort all at a cost.   Marketing a self published book is difficult if not impossible.  Some writers have been successful.  Their writing captured the attention of readers who read the books, then built a fan base for the book.    This is rare.  Most books will never capture more than a family following.   Yet finding a small readership is exciting encouraging more writing that helps us grow in our craft. 

I love to write and am looking for the best ways to build readership.   My current method is to use twitter comments with a link to a location where the book may be previewed and purchased if desired.   what are others doing to build readership.   Input will help all of writers who enjoy the craft.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
      Merlin Fraserposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Take a look at my recent Hub on this subject perhaps we should join forces with others in the same boat and see what we can do to solve the problem.

Using professional PR companies is definately not the answer, they are businesses and all they are interested in doing is making money from themselves.

1. Happy Families profile image61
        Happy Familiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We should find a place where self-publishers can promote their books and support each other.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, what is the subject of your book?  Your best bet is to find communities of people who share interest in the topic.  There are online forums and web groups for almost every genre and sub-genre you can think of.  Seek out those that match your book's style or subject and start participating.  Make sure you don't just sign up to link-drop.  Only join those groups you can actually see yourself participating in on a regular basis.

Here on HubPages, I see you've only written 3 hubs in the "Books & Writing" category.  I'd recommend writing a few more.  Other aspiring writers are always looking for specific advice about the creative process, overcoming writer's block, self-publishing, etc.  If you can write good, original, helpful content on these subjects, it would raise your authority as an author, and perhaps garner some interest in your own work.

Congratulations on completing a novel!  It's not an easy feat, I know.

3. Glenn Raymond profile image61
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, the best thing I have done is join every group, forum, blog, and create your own groups.  Jump into anything and everything that is free and short of breaking the rules, you just keep building your web presence.  It does work.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

You might find some help in my hub about self-publishing a children's book. The marketing involves a lot of work, but if you have a particular subject you can target, you might find some success in  sending out some review copies and contacting certain businesses which might want to purchase on a wholesale basis.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Self-Publish-A- … -We-did-it

3. cruising.granny profile image60
    cruising.grannyposted 14 years ago

I have discussed this issue with the local Angus & Robertson Book Store.
    The proprietor told me they have a policy of helping local writers.
    In fact I found this to be true.  My girlfriend self-published her book and the local A&R handled the sales.  I bought a copy, contacted her, and that's how we became friends.  She lives about 3 streets away in the same suburb of Cairns.
    She hasn't made any concentrated effort to market her work, but even her small effort has been rewarded.
    The local A&R store also has numerous other locally penned publications on the shelves.
    It's worth a try.
    All the best with your book and its marketing.
    We do what we can.

4. AuthorFBradshaw profile image68
    AuthorFBradshawposted 14 years ago

I am very nontraditonal. Its all about what you are comfortable with. I always take two weekends a month and head out to New York. The same thing applies to eveyone where ever you are; hot spots in your city or connecting cities. Local stores. Search the web for sites that will shelve your book for free. Open up an paypal and ecommerce from your your personal page. What genere do you write? I can help you further if i knew your target population. BLOG BLOG BLOG> Check out the popular blogging place similar to here.  creating a web presence can be exhausting but beneficial. I did all the ground work first. saw what it did for me and when I was weak in sales or presence I sought out help in Q&A discussions throughout the web...joined groups and the biggest marketing choice was emailing book clubs asking to be there book of the month. It worked some book clubs  had four chapter with over 100 members combined. Then there is internet radio shows....contact some radio personalities on the net like blog talk and similar sites. You can even start your own. Great exposure. Get back to me with the answer anbout the genre you write in...hope this helped.

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years ago

I've a Hubpage on self-publishing pitfalls which offers practical 'how to' advice.

Also, why did you wait until after self-publishing to start building a web platform?  That should already have been in place via the use of blogs, emailing lists, social networking sites, official website etc.  However, better late than never - if you haven't got these things in place now, organise them ASAP.

Self-publishing sites/companies sell the dream of earning money and developing a writing career.  It is on these hopes and dreams that they make their living.  POD costs relatively little to set up, and if the customer wants to add an ISBN number (so you can sell it away from the self-publisher's site), an eye-catching professional book cover, a proof copy, etc, this all goes on the customer's bill.

Walk into ANY bookshop and count how many self-published books you can see.  Most don't stock any. 

Now look at the millions upon millions of self-published books are already being offered online.  Look at the quality of production, of promotion (when there even is any, beyond a listing on the POD publisher's own site) and also look at the quality of the writing itself.  Now think of that little needle in a HUGE haystack - and that's a self-published book.

If this sounds negative, it isn't.  It is why the self-publishing industry is dismissed by traditional publishers and book sellers.

6. profile image49
    msdreyaposted 14 years ago

I'm new at this and honestly don't have a clue in what to do? Can someone help me out here???

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, msdreya!  I'll send to an email to see if we can't help get you started.

7. tfhodge profile image62
    tfhodgeposted 13 years ago

This was helpful. I, too, know the struggle of marketing a book. Luckily, I have found readership among those outside my family and friends'.  Though it is a mountain to climb, it is a beautiful journey.  Thanks for sharing.

T.F. Hodge
    Writer/Author/Blogger

8. Robert A. Harris profile image60
    Robert A. Harrisposted 13 years ago

I am self-publishing all my books and getting the word out there is very hard.But u can't let that stop you, use every networking/blogs etc at your disposal.. Sites like issuu.com is really helpful and free.

9. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 13 years ago

(1) You may want to consider getting yourself a Facebook Fan Page that discusses your book. Then join groups in Facebook that target readers and other writer. Send them a link to your fan page.

(2) You may also want to advertise your book on Scribd.com. You can show people the first 20 pages, but they'll have to buy it to download and read the rest. Scribd is very strict about plagiarism, and they pick up traffic pretty fast -- within a minute. Most of the traffic comes from Scribd community.

(3) You may also want to consider having a press-release done about your book. I recommend OnlinePRNews.com. It's sister company is SEOcontentsolutions.com. They are both owned by Christine O'Kelley and Tara Geissinger. Their customer service is great.

I wrote my own press release and submitted it through their network for $49 dollars. I needed the backlinks to a site and got thousand of backlinks within days. It was my first press release.

In your case, I recommend spending the money and having them write one for your book. It's $129, but these folks are very good writers. The backlinks are permanent. So it's not like other press release sites where they keep your PR up for 6 months then take it down. It stays up there. You can send the links to your Lulu URL.

If you write your own press release, you're going to have to do your own keyword research and provide the anchor text. If you let them write the press release, they should be able to do that for you.

1. angel Graham profile image59
      angel Grahamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Consider also marketing through Smashwords, Tweet about it on Twitter.

1. Create a free blog on Blogger or Wordpress.com and blog about it. Create an email list that allows people to subscribe to your blog and create a free newsletter also for promoting your book AND your blog, your Facebook Page, and your Hubpages.

2.  Ask independent reviewers to review it for you. I am one and I know that there are more out there. There is someone named BigAl that does reviews independently published authors (Self-pubbed if you prefer) Just follow his instructions on how to submit. I don't remember the exact addy but it was something akin to booksandpals and I think it was found on blogspot.com

Most of us who do independent reviews, not only blog about it, but submit those reviews to Goodreads.com, LibraryThing.com, Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.  Become a member of Goodreads.com and become part of their Author program.  Same with LibraryThing. Join. Can't remember if they have an Author's program or not.

3.  With the back-links...work hard at finding blogs similar to yours. The same with books. If you are selling on Amzon, USE THE TAGS! If it is available on Kindle, then make sure to use Kindle Edition, Kindle Author, Kindle Book tags.  Use what genre it is in for a tag. (ie. Romance, Science Fiction, Paranormal, etc) Ask others who know who have Amazon accounts to help with the tag building. All they have to do is sign in and agree with your tags or add new tags for you.

4.  Guest-blog on others blogs. Particularly the ones that have heavy traffic. Pick blogs that relate closely to your book. (Example, if your book is about the Positive Aspects of Prayer, then find blogs that are similar to it and talk to them about guest blogging. Have something in mind. NOT just promoting your book. Maybe, using the same example, you could guest blog about how "These 5 steps improved my prayer life" or something similar.)

5. If you don't like or want to blog, create a free website, or take the time to research paid websites that aren't overly expensive.  Pay for hosting/domain. (GoDaddy.com is the one most of the authors I know personally recommend) and pay a little to get it up and running. If you don't know how to do the designing of the website, find someone who can. Do some searching and you can find quality designers at reasonable prices.

6. Make sure you have a professional looking cover. That it is not using copyrighted photos/pics.  That the font is readable and appropriate for the genre. (You don't want a "vampire" font on a book about cowboys.) You can find premade book-covers if you search carefully. For romance, I know that Dara England does some premade and there is a site for Romance

These are just some ideas that have been given to me by both Traditionally "New York" published authors and by those who published independently.

10. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

AuthorsDen is a great site to use for self-published book promotion. You get your own author page there. You can add some of your writing and add your books there (cover, isbn, title, and other info) and you get book ads too. You can even become a featured author.

Lena

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)