Novel Marketing Conundrum

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

I hope to finish my novel in the next fortnight or so. It does not fit into any of the normal "categories". Possibly "women's novels".

I call it a "weepy". It combines deaths and romance and courage and teenage pregnancy dilemma and lots of kids who need fostering - and flashes of humour and misdirection.

Option 1 is to publish on Kindle and the other main player. Then I have to get some publicity or marketing.

Option 2 is to publish on HP, with each chapter or two chapters together as a hub. I earn nothing from sales but I would earn from HP Ads while people are reading it.

Option 3  Publish the first 4 chapters as a hub and then link to the e-sale.

If I am marketing as a women's novel should the author be Carla James? Or Olive Branch?

Suggestions please!

1. sen.sush23 profile image60
      sen.sush23posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the 3 rd option. That gives you an idea how it is catching on from the 4 chapter bait. I like Olive better than Carla. That is just my personal liking. Olive is more interesting. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd recommend Option 1 with a small tweak. Publish through Kindle then also publish on Smashwords - which covers all the other publishing formats and gets your book listed at Barnes & Noble, iTunes, etc etc. 

I don't recommend Option 2 because it will be difficult for your readers to read in sequence - there's no easy way to create clear navigation.

I don't recommend Option 3 either.  On Smashwords, you can set your setting so that customers can download one or two "taster" chapters first anyway.  Instead, write a "teaser" Hub - maybe the first chapter, or a Hub about the characters, or even a prequel.  Then go and write a similar article at several other sites such as Wizzley, PubWages, ThisisFreelance, Excerptz, etc.

Finally I would go with Carla James.  Olive Branch is just too obviously a pun.  Olive with a different surname would be fine.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Do you have a synopsis?  Sounds possibly like Women's fiction: saga

3. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

My niddle names are Robert Owen.

Roberta Owen?
    Roberta James
    Bobby Owen?

Not Olive Owen I think.

Victoria Street?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could bypass the whole problem and publish as C R James. 

Being a man is no obstacle to marketing successfully to women - and these days, it's so important to have a 'brand' and interact with your readers, you'll create difficulties for yourself if you pretend to be a female. 

There are several Harlequin authors who are male, and they generally use their initials.

I wrote a Hub called "How to Promote Your Novel" which you might find useful.

1. sen.sush23 profile image60
        sen.sush23posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I agree to this.

2. Charles James profile image66
        Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

An excellent hub, Marisa. Thank you.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think it is less openly misleading to use a gender neutral name or initials.

Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hilary and Carol and Chris can be either gender.

My concern was whether female readers would be less likely to purchase a book in the "women's books" or "romance" category if written by a man.

5. ar.colton profile image81
    ar.coltonposted 12 years ago

Definitely not Olive Branch.

I would be careful though, how you categorize. Categorizing something as "women's fiction" is a little dated, and tends to fall into category of "chick lit". If it is a serious, emotional drama than it's just a novel that appeals to women. The cover and synopsis should be geared toward your specific audience but this is 2012, we don't read different books, they are just books.

Are you more "Angelina's Children" and "The Birth House"
    Or more "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya sisterhood"?

If you're main audience is women though I would use a female or gender neutral name. I like the idea of Carol or Hilary. There is nothing misleading about it. Authors use pen names all the time.

6. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I have always been in awe of guys that can successfully write, publish and contemplate "women's navels"  smile

Charles Jamesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My wife also has difficulty sometimes finding the words with which to express her admiration for me.

This is an odd book, and I really do not know how to categorise it.

7. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 11 years ago

Well. I have finished the book now, apart from the cover and deciding the title.

66,000 words.

I am sending it out to a social worker and a social work lawyer and a Muslim to read, to check I have not made any major errors.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations and the best of luck to you.  smile

You are an inspiration!

2. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations - how exciting!!

Have you decided on your authorname?  I personally like Carol (or actually Karol), since it is sometimes a variant of or related to Charles.

8. Charles James profile image66
    Charles Jamesposted 11 years ago

Yes it is very exciting.

I have a following (small - but very high quality) online as Charles James, so I will stay in my true identity.

Struggling for a title. The chief protagonist, Don Hewson, starts as a widower living alone in a six bedroom house.
    He inherits a child when the single parent for whom he is a free babysitter unexpectedly dies.
    He finds love.
    Then the social worker who dealt with him over the child has a large family who should be fostered together under one roof, but who has four spare bedrooms....?

The logic of the situation and the characters gets silly! It is a real weepy, too.
    Any other suggestions for a title?

1. ar.colton profile image81
      ar.coltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!

I'm terrible at titles but based on your summary you could play around with these words:

refuge, sanctuary, gathering, harbour, shelter, burrow

"Harbour House" is the only thing I could come up with.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)