Here I Go Again.....I just wanna move or crawl into a hole

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (71 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

If I ever had any good luck I'd probably die of a heart attack because my heart wouldn't be able to take it.  Just got word that the place where I work has been sold effective the first of the year and will be shutting down the Nebraska office.  HA now is this not a kick in the ass or what.  Does any one want to adopt me and my dogs?

1. That Grrl profile image72
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No way on the dogs. I hope you have better luck as the year goes on. Is there anything you could do as a home business? Maybe a dog walker? You must be out there walking your own - so you are an experienced dog walker. If you have a backyard they could be there until their owners come home from work and pick them up, dog sitting could bring you some money.

2. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra, is this the job you only got a couple of weeks ago?

That is awful , just when you thought things were looking up too.

Now I think you live in a caravan in the countryside, though I'm not sure if you have transport or not, but there are ways of making money when you need to.

Local markets?.. what can you sell? Wildflowers? Plants that you have grown? What about looking for stones, or gemstones? http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Nebraska … agate.html

I am sorta getting into collecting beach stones and polishing them. There is a huge demand just for beachstones, unpolished.

You are not near a beach, but you are in the country. Are there any rocks around?

Especially blue agates.

Chop them up with a hammer, and you can sell them on eBay, or Etsy. There is a huge demand for them. They don't have to be polished. Most people who are into making jewelry have their own machines to grind them down.

Have a read here too: http://www.gatorgirlrocks.com/state-by- … raska.html

Honestly, a single piece of stone can be worth a dollar or more.

Try and think outside the box. Now that the internet is here, we are slowly learning what people want, and they want the most surprising things.
      I guess most people live in cities, and have no access to the things the countryside provides.

Supply them.

You have the internet. You have the countryside location. You may even find that the broken tree branches you step over are in demand.

Hopefully 2013 will see you settled and comfortable, and with an income you have made yourself smile

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Izzy M.  Yes, this was the job I just got.  Ha, just my luck.  I thank you for the websites!!!!!!   Stupid of me not thinking about rockhounding as my sister was a rockhound and used to make beautiful jewelry!!!  I'll be looking on the ground for new found money now everywhere I go.  lol.  My sissy and her husband traveled all around the country and have a beautiful collection of gems.  If I know my sissy (she's an Angel now) she just might point me in the right direction where to find some.

This is a new year and a new start. Gotta keep forging ahead!!!

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Izzy has a point - somewhere there is somebody that wants nearly anything and we can get touch with them via the net. 

I would not have thought of rocks, either, or even tree branches.  Big pine cones, yes, I know people want those and the only question is finding those people and how much they'll pay.  A little brainstorming could pay off...

1. profile image0

Ok folks, here we go, brainstorming.  Any other good ideas? I have even thought of doing laundry from where I live.  But think of things I don't need a car for. 

I could purchase a horse at the auction for $25 for a means of transportation, however, no place to put it.  It's gotta get better, It's gotta get better...

1. ATexanagain profile image57
              ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No transportation huh? I know around here cars are donated to people who really need one maybe they have something like that where you are. There is always bartering, I know on craigslist they have a section, maybe you can work for a vehicle. Just suggestions.

1. profile image0

I'll check this out!

3. breakfastpop profile image63
      breakfastpopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One door closes and another one opens. I wish you all the best.

1. profile image0

That is what they say.  I'm kicking down doors instead of waiting for them to open.  lol.  It's the only way to make it in this world.

2. mactavers profile image91
    mactaversposted 11 years ago

Any chance that you and the dogs would have better luck by moving?  Hope 2013 is a better year for you.

1. profile image0

I do believe that moving would be my number one thing to do in order to get out of this.  This is just too unbelieveable to me.  There has got to be a better way.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh Sarra, Im so sorry! Hang in there, good has to be on its way.

3. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

Things will get better. Keep checking out ways to make money from home. Not allowed to promote hubs but I will tell you that setting up a baby sitting service is easy and very lucrative.All you need to do is advertise for mature( hopefully car owners) as sitters. Plenty of school teaching assistants, cleaners and cooks need the extra cash and have already been crime checked. They are your emploees and you can take a 20% cut. This business never fails.

4. Judi Bee profile image89
    Judi Beeposted 11 years ago

So sorry to hear this.  Got no great ideas for you, just letting you know I'm thinking of you and hoping for another piece of (permanent) good luck to come your way.

1. profile image0

Hi Judi Bee.  No worries, I will come back once again.  I'm starting to feel like the loosing end of a yoyo.  I am in hopes that I have all the evil behind me and can forge forward this new year with a new beginning.  Believe it or not I have 6 things that are keeping me alive:  My 5 dogs and I keep hearing my military drills telling me not to quit no matter how bad it seems. This, of course, is not as easy as it appears to be.  It's not easy to  have courage as it's so much easier to just throw in the towel.

5. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Sorry to hear!! Do you have a car and the ability to move?
    If you make it near SC I'd be more than happy to provide you with a ton of dog food and a warm meal. (I know this does not help your situation at all but atleast everyone would have a full belly!)

1. profile image0

Hi Peeples.  lol about the dog food! I would love to move and moving back to SC would be a blast.  I did my basic training at Ft. Jackson and purchased my first house there in Gaston, SC.  If I had a car I'd be there in 24 hours for sure.  Just need to learn to write better so I can finish my book. 

I'm looking at this new year as a new beginning, well, there is no other way to look at it I guess.  I do know for sure I've got to get out of Nebraska.  I've been here for almost 3 years now and have had the worst time of it. 

I so need a car and a job....it Will Happen.  Can't quit now.........

1. ATexanagain profile image57
        ATexanagainposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ive read about your plight come on down to Round Rock, Texas, fastest growing population and a good economic area!

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/rea … ies/9.html

1. Scribenet profile image61
          Scribenetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you got one job, Sarra, another is there somewhere and if Round Rock Texas has jobs ( and probably warmer weather) maybe that could be in your future (when you are able to move).

Hopefully you have a little time left before the company you are at closes it's doors. We are rooting for you. Keep focusing on the positive. Thinking of you! smile

6. A Driveby Quipper profile image58
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

You are in good company. The rocket scientists from NASA are in their second tier of "unemployment insurance" now. Happy New Year in the Brave New World Order.

1. profile image0

Yeah, what are they going to do for work?  Build rocket cakes?  I just can't imagine what these scientists are going through wherein they are 'brainiacs' and I'm just an every day person.

7. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Oh no, Sarrah!  That's awful news.

Are those jobs going out of the country (like India, maybe)?  Due to foreign competition?  If so, there might be federal help available - my wife got some kind of program for 2 years plus schooling when it happened to her.

1. profile image0

What program was that does she remember?

I'm sorry, Sarra, neither of us can remember.

She went to school for a year, paid for my uncle sam, and got unemployment for nearly two years, including school time. 

Foreign competition cost her her job and this program was instituted just for that purpose - to help those that lost their job from foreign competition.  We do remember that she worked through the unemployment service for part of it.

googling, we think it might have been TAA (trade adjustment assistance).  Sorry I can't be of more help.

1. profile image0

That's ok.  I'm at the drawing board once again.  Just published a new hub so I need your critique and assistance.

8. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

You mentioned once having survival skills. Would you be able to teach these to people? Does foraging come into those skills? Here in the UK, foraging in particular is very popular and people are paying good money and sometimes travelling long distances to attend a half-day or full-day course.

1. profile image0

I could teach this.  The people of Nebraska are for the most part very intuned to the out of doors.  Being a state full of farmers and ranchers it may make it difficult to get any interest in this type of class.  I'll have to research this one more.

9. profile image0
    Nell Hoxsieposted 11 years ago

Sign up for CloudCrowd . com. You have to take a few tests and pass them. But then you write specific assignments. Once they are approved by reviewers they send you the money via paypal the NEXT day. There's always some kind of work there. Just follow the instructions exactly and you'll be fine. No waiting for Google to like your pages or anything like that.

1. profile image0

Kewl, Thanks!

2. profile image0

ok, tried Cloudcrowd and you have to sign in using Facebook. 

1.  I don't use Facebook
      2.  A Firewall has blocked Facebook

So, I gave it the good heave ho and I'm still heaving but I'm not a ho.  lol

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Sarra bear....

A hypothetical question....

You are broke and homeless. You find a wallet in the parking lot of your local supermarket. Darn thing is stuffed with 20's and 100's to the tune of $900. What do you do?

1. profile image0

I would turn it into the supermarket where I found it.  It's not my money and if there is that much money in the wallet I'm sure the person who lost it wants to find it. Taking it to the police department would probably be better though because there I know they would try harder to find the owner of the wallet.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about taking the money and dropping the wallet into the mailbox? Yes or no? An email response is fine.

No, re your inquiry. My wallet is fine. big_smile

1. profile image0

No!  Too much to risk with identity theft.

I got your email. It was a worthy answer. smile smile smile

1. profile image0

Thank you smile  paradigmsearch.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
                CASE1WORKERposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi sarra- I keep reading this post and hoping for good news-

1. profile image0

Me Too

2. profile image0

did you loose your wallet?  lol

11. A Driveby Quipper profile image58
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

I can only direct you to hope. Sorry I can't give you any, I barely have enough for myself. I lost my job more than two years ago, and it is almost impossible to get more than 26 weeks of unemployment in Florida. Forget the tiers the president set up. We have a republican legislature and governor who do not respect the federal government's efforts to keep us from starving.

Sooner or later, you have to quit cashing in your investments, taking stuff to the pawn shop, and running up your credit cards. Don't even borrow from relatives. More often than not, trouble will follow you if you seek refuge with relatives and friends. We live in a neurotic culture, and there is little stability.

Anxiety, self pity and depression are waiting for you to fall into the pit. It can be hard to avoid such traps. They  litter the path more as the light fades.

I came here to try my hand at HubPages as a possible source of supplemental income. I regret I did not spend the same amount of time and effort collecting cans from the side of the road. It would have paid much better.

This is still America, where we have opportunity that doesn't exist in other places. It is so much easier to settle for the ho hum humdrum, and the twisted relationships of corporate culture than to set out into the unknown with nothing but faith as those who exploited the continent before us. They created what we have now. It looks like we still have a lot of work to go to realize their dream of a better tomorrow. Maybe we have made too many mistakes.

Money . . . I have none. What I have, I will share. This tip from Jesus has kept me from being drowned in the pit:

“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink, or for your body, as to what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air. They do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? Who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? Why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow, yet they do not toil or spin. I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.  If God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ The world zealously pursues all of these things. Your heavenly Father knows what you need. Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

“So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

1. profile image0

Amen Driveby!  I do think of those words everyday from God and play them over in my head.  I haven't given up and can't give up.  It is very easy to fall into the 'pit' as you said.  It's not easy to stay positive and having courage is very courageous!  I'm a fighter and a survivor so as long as I keep one foot in front of the other I just know something will happen to the positive.  It's not easy being 50 and starting over; oh to be 20 again.  I can't turn back time as time is continuing forward always. I know I will succeed once again by the Grace of God.

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image58
        A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well sister Sarra, I will not worry about you too much. However, I wouldn't be 20 again if you paid me! I am glad to keep moving.

1. profile image0

big_smile  I just want to have my body back like I was 20 again.  Damn it sucks to get old!!!

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Oh, Sarra...I'm so sorry to hear that. I was really excited when you got the job.

1. profile image0

So wasn't I.  I even enjoyed it. Oh well, Corporate America strikes again, the bastards.

I don't know if this is psychic or what... But something has made me want to suggest that you check out your town's website for jobs. Maybe a 911 operator? Or who knows? And then there is County...

1. profile image0

great minds think alike.  I've already put my resume in with the town.

WTG! I submit that it is only a matter of time before you are back in business. You're out there doing what needs to be done, so sooner or later the probabilities will show up in your favor.

You're right - it's only a matter of time.  I don't think you can keep our Sarra down for long - she's just not one to give up.

1. profile image0

I'm too ornry to be kept down for long smile  There's more than one way to skin a cat!

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image58
          A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

911 operator or hotline, or something like that would be a good fit. Regardless of what path she takes, your insight is right on!

13. innerspin profile image86
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

Taxi firm call operator? You seem to like telephone work, they might give you lifts to places as well. I admire your spirit., keep it up!

1. profile image0

Thank you innerspin for the kind words.  Unfortuantely, there are no taxi cabs in the town I live in.  The closest ones are in Omaha and that is 50 miles away.  Good thought though.

14. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

What are your circumstances now, Sarra? Do you have somewhere to live? Have you found work? Are you and your dogs okay?

1. profile image0

Hi LongTimeMother.  Just got out of the hospital actually.  I woke up the other night having to go to the bathroom and couldn't move.  I called for my big dog and was able to grab her collar and she dragged me out of bed. Thankfully later that day my landlord came home and found me and called an ambulance.  My dogs are fine and are the best in the world!  I'm back home and moving very slowly.  I'm starting to run out of steam quickly and can't take much more.

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra, if you get a minute, let me know where you in relation to Bellevue, Nebraska.  It's about eight miles south of Omaha, I think.

1. profile image0

I'm about 70 miles away from Bellvue.

2. Hyphenbird profile image81
        Hyphenbirdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra! How are you feeling now? Bless our fur friends. Many of us would be dead if not for them.

1. profile image0

Hi Hyphenbird.  I'm getting around much better.  I'm so tired though and sleep quite a bit as I can't keep my eyes open very long.  I've started making my jewelry again and will be selling it at one of my new found friends stores.  I am also making wall Rosaries for him to sell as well.  I also want to crochet some lap warmers and shawls for the elderly to hopefully sell.  My brain isn't working well and I forget how to spell quite a few words, simple words, and this is driving me absolutely insane.  The thing is, I don't see the word as wrong until I read it several times as some words aren't picked up by spell check.  I so need to see a doctor about this.  But I'm still tickin away

15. ALL4JESUS profile image73
    ALL4JESUSposted 11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of another American employer. A job is fundamental.

God bless you and your community. I pray for all to be gainfully employed.

16. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

I'm glad you're back on your feet, Sarra. That must have been very frightening. Three cheers for the big dog and the landlord! I'm too far away to be of any help to you, but I'm hoping someone in your part of the world has a few thoughts that can help you. Thinking of you anyway. Take care.

1. profile image0

Yes, my big girl is the best dog in the world.  She's a rescue that I took from a neighbors house as the chain on her neck was digging into it.  I'm moving slow but can get around.  I do sleep a lot though.  My landlord/roommate is my hunting buddy and he is taking excellent care of me.  I take the dogs out myself so I get fresh air and walk around a bit.  I may be a grey mare but I'm a tough old bird.  I'll make it through this.  I'm so thankful that I have a roof over my head and a man in the house to help.

17. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Sarra , Hello my dear , heres a hub hug for you !   Now , this is what you do !  Take control of your own future !  Go to work for yourself !.......Find that  one thing that you do well and turn it into a business !  Thats what I have done , after layoffs  after downsizing , after self centered a&& kissing career climbers stepped on my head enough . It can be your dream job !

1. profile image0

Hello my friend, ahorseback.  It's good to hear from you.  I totally am with you on the self centered a&& kissing corporate careers as I will never work for corp. America again.  I have been making jewelry and have found someone who will take them in their mexican store.  I started making wall hanging rosaries and they are selling.  The owner of the store isn't taking anything out for himself which is so nice of him.  Have to conform to the area around you and the client base so hey I make it and it sells I can dig it.  It is so nice to hear from you! Hope all is well.

18. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

Well done Sarra- whatever life throws at you, which it sure as hell does, you find a way to fight back- jewellery  making should be quite calming and may help with your illness- I am so pleased for you- good luck with the new business venture

1. profile image0

Thanks Case1Worker.  I'm still going like a run down Energizer Bunny lol.  Just wish my brain worked as I am mispelling a lot of words and I can't remember a lot of words.  So frustrating.

19. profile image0

Sarra , You my dear are obviously a survivor , in the end thats what it comes down to ! Awesome for you !......Ed

1. profile image0

Thank you Ed!  Doing the best that I can.

20. profile image0

Sarra , about eight  years ago I reached the fifty something years , no company wants  me  anymore because I make a little more for my talents , and expertise !   Believe me !  I went to work for myself and now I'm getting calls from the idiots I worked for and with , that  KKiss&& all the right as&es too  , and now are looking for me to hire them !.........I win !

1. profile image0

You go  boy!  Don't you love it when you beat Corp. America!!!!  I used to have my own secretarial company and answering service.  However, there is no call for that anymore with small businesses.  Not to mention the fact I don't speak spanish.  I'm working slowly in getting a business together.  It takes money of which I don't have but I'm getting there.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)