Could you live on $2.00 a day if you had no choice?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (46 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 12 years ago

In the USA Today newspaper - Friday, February 24, 2012, has the article Families in Extreme poverty double - up to 1.46 million living on $2.00 a day.

I would reach my 'ideal weight' for sure - no gas for the car - or no car - no to many things - how terribly difficult that would be.  My cat would not be nice and plump.  She would be served chicken broth, mashed carrots, low priced tuna, cheap baloney, beans (the kind you soak) - she would have to be content without the high priced delicacies as well as I.  Or - Are these families getting food stamps, rent paid, Medicaid, HEAP, and the $60 a month cash?  The article didn't specify.
    Unless these families are in a Homeless Shelter with food provided and get $60 cash a month.
    Even that stipulation is unbelievable.
    A little bird told me - 'Obama is a Welfare President'.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The article goes on to say that the study is more reflective of people losing their job, or divorce, or having short-term crises, and is usually for a month, not an ongoing thing...?

Yes, Obama is a "welfare President", I suppose is a correct way to say it.  No wonder, really.  Did you see the videos where some people thought he was gonna personally pay their rent, etc., when he got elected?  They viewed him as some kind of king or savior.  Little did they know he's just a politician with a radical Leftwing agenda.  But they should've known!  He made no secret of it!

1. profile image0
        Deb Welchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brenda - I know people on the Dole get cash assistance but not much - the $2.00 a day for a family for each person is really shabby.  You would think after a length of time - you would lose integrity and want to earn your own way in life especially for families.  A real shame for this day and age.  I have heard a few say - if Obama wins another 4 years they would consider moving out of this country.  Thanks for your comments.

1. sabrebIade profile image80
          sabrebIadeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Had cancer, got disabled, lost job, lost home.
          Lived on less than 2 dollars a day for awhile.
          "You would think after a length of time - you would lose integrity and want to earn your own way in life especially for families."
          Yeah...you'd think that.

1. wilderness profile image93
            wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is why I feel our welfare system is broken.  An illness, an accident, many things can cost a person everything they have worked for during their lifetime.  They need help, but we don't provide it.

Instead we give the limited funds we have to others that make a life of taking charity from the govt., expecting and demanding that others provide their entire support.

1. profile image0

wilderness - I agree it is a vicious circle.

2. profile image0

sabre - Thank you for commenting.  Your situation would be an exception to the rule.  I made a generalization - sorry about that - wasn't intended.  I just found out again - that I am Cancer-free- I know that would have cost plenty to battle even with quality insurance.  The medication alone is sky-high. Hope you well and having a pleasant day.

2. profile image0

Not me, I wouldn't move out of this Country.  It's mine.  I'll stay and fight his agenda every step of the way.  He's the one who wants to change it into something else, so let him move out, not me.  He might be completely in his element as a community organizer in a third world country, especially an Islamic one.  He has missed his calling by opting to sit in the White House.  Reckon it was the money he wanted.

1. glockr profile image59
            glockrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Reckon it was the money he wanted." I'm sure he appreciates the money, but I think the big thing for him is getting to tell everyone else how to live. That, and the "adulation."

2. profile image0
      theking2020posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Living on 2$ a day in the U.s either that person is living in somebody else's home is single, or is homeless with the price of everything in the U.S there's just no way to live on 2$ a day specially not here in Florida.

3. Hally Z. profile image76
      Hally Z.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess I'd be living on lentils and buckwheat then, as well as quinoa, but I'd be much healthier too! And with no money for gas, I'd be walking everywhere to get my groceries.

2. Gloshei profile image61
    Glosheiposted 12 years ago

It would be very difficult I just did a conversion to euros and that would give me 1.49euros at todays rate.
    It would be impossible, no car, no electric, no heating sorry they have to be on some sort of welfare surely? I mean even in the winter they would freeze to death and that would have hit the headlines before now.
    Interesting subject though I did a mental shopping list and it would be hard, potato & onion soup every day with a carrot thrown in on Sunday. I wonder what boiled grass tastes like? Mmmm
    Thanks for sharing.

1. profile image0

Gloshei - Good to hear from you again.  Obviously a family would be in some kind of housing and probably some kind of program with voucher supplement for rent.  It is impossible - yet - 1.46 million families are living on this here in the US.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

My first problem would be having nowhere to live.

1. profile image0

psych - So many safety nets for the poor leads to depression and a road to nowhere and more than likely unsuitable housing for a family.

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

2$ a day is a big problem not only in USA but also in any third world country. Most likely 2$ a day equals to 60-100 local bucks which hardly buys anything in those countries. As for USA, getting under 50$ a day is strong call towards going broke.

1. profile image0

sky - I heard that India is heartbreakingly poor. I have been down-and-out-of-luck and out-of-money but not many have seen poverty as it is in Third World Countries not like here in these United States.

5. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

If you had no other choice, then you would have to wouldn't you?  But you wouldn't be able to put a roof over your head, dress the kids etc, etc, etc.  Over here in the UK, benefits are a bit more generous - although this just triggers the opposite debate in the media, about the families where the parents don't go back to work as they wouldn't get as much money as they do from the State.

1. profile image0

CMH - I was surprised to read that the UK gives more benefits.  They now have work groups here and get some payment for it - not much - for menial labor, such as cleaning parks or streets,etc.  Thanks for contributing your comment.

6. winbo profile image57
    winboposted 12 years ago

Yeah I did!!

7. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 12 years ago

Not only could I do it I have done it, life is hard and you do what you need to do to survive.

1. profile image0

Repair - Cheers.  You are far to find.

8. Cassie Smith profile image60
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

Living on $2 a day happens because of a loss of income or inability to work and it is not a permanent situation.  When you factor in the help that you do get from the government and your own relatives, you should be okay for the short term.  All this government assistance is to get you back on your feet, possibly retrain you to get a better job not to make you be comfortable.

1. profile image0

Cassie - I have seen generation to generation of families that stay on government programs. Now - they have had Unemployment Insurance Benefits that went to 99 weeks. Really unheard of.  Thanks.

9. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

If I had no choice other than 2.00 a day,then of course.
    There are food banks and local churches that can help in a pinch.

1. profile image0

Stacie - You are right there.

10. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 12 years ago

Government programs are nice.
    When you dont have to wait 6 months to file because you missed the cut off date.
    They run out of money for the programs (A Predator drone costs 4.5 million to $10 million, but government programs to help people run out of money.)
    Churches and Food Banks do help.
    But where I lived, they ran out of food every week and they had a heck of a time getting donations.
    And the some Food Banks are strangled by their own policies.
    That's why whenever I go into a store now and see a Food Bank donation barrel, I try to always put something in.
    Anything, even if it's just a box of crackers. 
    And that's why all our old clothes now go to Goodwill and the Salvation Army.
    We try not to throw anything away that we think someone else could use.

11. cherylone profile image88
    cheryloneposted 12 years ago

The problem with government programs is they refuse to look at each individual situation.  They roll everything into one level or another.  For example, a family of three would get X amount of money to asist them to get back on their feet, however, a family of four, five, or even six will get the same exact amount because their income falls into the same level.  Plus if any of those families do get retrained and get a job, that job will, most likely not cover their necessary costs for living but the government says "you got a job, good bye!"

1. profile image0

cheryl - How true - you nailed it there.

2. YnaCraft profile image57
      YnaCraftposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes I agree! government mistake is they used to generalize everything. They overlook the real situation, doing survey will help so that they will get into what these people really need. But after all, surviving this crisis concerns everyone so everyone should be responsible of their duties.

1. profile image0

Yna - Good point made.

12. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

And if you and your family are living on only $2 a day, but also need health and dental . . .

13. Tams R profile image84
    Tams Rposted 12 years ago

If I had no other choice, what choice would I have? Assuming I had absolutely nothing, I'm sure I could live.
    I would make use of food banks and hopefully find a family member to take my family in while we got on our feet.
    If I could not find a place to stay, I would find a large cave near a river and sharpen some homemade arrowheads for hunting. I would definitely have fire and the poor little squirrels would be dinner as well as any fish I would catch with my homemade fishing pole. 
    While living in the cave, I would save my $2 a day to pay for a bicycle to take me places without needing gasoline. Hopefully, I would find a job and make more than $2.
    I would live fat and sassy, but be ultimately irritated with our economy for forcing that life upon me. Honestly, sometimes I believe I would be happier living in a cave. At least then I don't have to worry about losing anything else and last I heard there were no taxes on caves.

1. profile image0

Tams - LOL! - Great stuff.

2. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tams,
      You left out wild onions, creesy  and poke salad and other greens to eat.

1. Tams R profile image84
        Tams Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yum. I love wild green onions. Let me find a couple of eggs and I'm in business.

14. elle64 profile image83
    elle64posted 12 years ago

I live in Denmark, where we pay a lot of money in tax. But I am very happy to pay so much money in tax- my sister has cancer and she get treatment,she does not get laid off work because she is ill.
    My husband has been unemployed for over 2 years now- and he has send so many applications out- no luck. He receives money every month from the union, which is a good thing. Perhaps he needs to take another education,which he does not have to pay for.
    I work with dis abeld people,who lives in there own apartments, gets the help they need, and pay their own way ,of money the government pays to them every month. So I don not think it is such a bad thing living in a soceity where you are looked after.And that is because we pay so much money in tax:It could be me loosing my job one day, my children getting sick.<we dont know always what is around the next corner.
    But for me and my family living of 2 dollars a day would be very hard.

1. profile image0

elle - Your comments are very useful and being that you live in Denmark.  Many countries have major financial problems in all areas.  I am currently resigned from my last emoloyer due to ill health and up for an operation soon that requires weeks of recuperation - in the meantime - I am between a rock and  hard place with job search and benefits.  Everyone around me where I live and then being at the Employment Center recently - one sees the amount of difficulties out there.  Money is tight.

15. Hubpage Gal profile image58
    Hubpage Galposted 12 years ago

I do and sometimes less but the living expenses is taken care of by the spouse.  However, most Americans have a choice and the outlook is that jobs are beginning to become available for the unemployed.  But there is always a choice to do better and if one is having to live off of $2.00 a day, the human services organization in the city should be contacted to get help.

1. profile image0

Hubpage Gal -  There are many human services organizations to help as long as you make the effort according to their rules.  Strings are attached to most feebies.  That's a guarantee.

16. jcales profile image55
    jcalesposted 12 years ago

$2 dollar a day?  Sure if some other daily expenses are taken care of. With inflation of goods and services but not your wages it is inevitable.

Brenda - How could you possibly say that Obama caused the unemployment. America was already in a recession/depression with Bush!  Isn't unemployment coming down (according to statistics? I am not sure if that includes the real unemployment number for people out of the system working part-time or under-paid)
    Or you only believe the stats of so-called right-wingers. The bi-partisan crap that gets spewed from anonymous and real people who have tunnel vision agendas hurts any progress for the country.
    I think many people did great during the Clinton years.

Yes, Obama does spend a lot ( I don't know where it goes), so did Bush on a war.
    Am I disappointed in Obama? Yes
    Was I disappointed in Bush?  Yes
    Will I be disappointed with whomever wins next?  I think so. Romney appears to not be popular with voters who are on the fence so that leaves you with?
    I'll take anybody who is middle-of-the-road and do what it takes. Obama thought he could and chickened out. Too much opposition which will be the same for anyone.  They are great salesmen aren't they.

You should really be upset over this war on terrorism chasing groups all around the world blowing billions when we could've used 1/2 of those resources to re-build our financial system.  Is that topic lost, so we'll experience the same thing 20 yrs from now.?   Things don't change with corrupt politicians.

You should be even more upset at the banks and the mortgage fiasco which caused so many layoffs under the watch of Bush's so-called great economic team. All of them since 2000 have been of no help. Obama's intelligence huh?  Still waiting on anything to materialize to display it.
    BTW, housing construction creates 1000s of jobs. Banks may be lowering their strict standards this year. If that happens, expect him to get another term.

I remember a prophet who said the USA will break up into 4 separate countries. With the way it is going, they could be right.

1. profile image0

jcales ; Thanks for all that you offered here.  You wrote: (You should really be upset over this war on terrorism chasing groups all around the world blowing billions when we could've used 1/2 of those resources to re-build our financial system. )  That really rang a bell with me - I agree with you if not half then maybe a good percentage.  Good thinking.  Debbie

2. profile image0

Hi.  ...I don't think I said Obama specifically nor solely caused the unemployment...
      But he certainly did help it keep going downhill.  He's not a fixer of anything; he uses every crisis to further his own personal agenda.  He just obviously plain ol' does not even care about anyone or anything other than that.
      You may lump him in the same category as the other Presidents and leaders, because indeed none of them are/were perfect either.  But at least they tried.  He doesn't even try anything good or rational or conservative.
      And as far as the war on terror----I'm not one bit mad that we've spent huge money on that.  It had to be done.  It still needs doing.  Just not Obama's way, 'cause his way has succeeded in pitting valid Americans against other valid Americans and creating tension and social unrest here and in other Nations.  Everything his naked emperorness touches turns to turmoil.  And we keep letting him do it.  Astonishing.  Hopefully in November we'll have someone who actually wants to lead this Nation instead of ruling it with a greedy fist and a liberal twist.

1. profile image0

Brenda - Yes - it is getting progressively worse by worse with all major problems around the world not only here in our own Nation.  We are hopeful and look forward to this election.  Good comment - thanks for the imput.

17. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

That's a pretty tight budget, but if I had no choice, I suppose I'd just have to get creative and find some way.  Wouldn't be the first time in my life that I had to sleep in a doorway or on a park bench, or scrounge around for something to eat.  I'd head south where it was warm, look for the freebies, check out the shelters and soup kitchens, etc. I could panhandle more than $2.00 a day when I was a kid living on the streets, so 2 bucks is really pretty meager.  Seriously, you might be able to survive on $2.00 a day, but it wouldn't be much of a life. If I could, I'd try to hookup with others so we could pool our resources.  Might be an interesting challenge.

1. profile image0

Disturb - I hear ya.  I believe the $2.00 cash a day -  per person includes mostly everything esle that the poor safety net guarantees within special circumstances.  Hard to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)