Should all World Leaders speak in English?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Should it be a necessity for Presidents/Prime Ministers to speak English Language?

There are a lot of people all over the world who are making a big effort to learn English.  In the UK, thousands of people from places such as Russia, Poland, Spain, Bulgaria, France etc are learning English so they can progress in their careers etc.  The Government also provides a lot of Funding.

I wonder then, why a European President will not speak English -particularly the ones in Europe?  After all, English is an International Language.

Ps. Hope I’m not being controversial.  It’s just a thought.

1. informixx profile image60
      informixxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Since English is the universal language, I think world leaders should speak with this language.
      But I don't discourage speaking using the native tongue.

2. BundleBoy profile image70
      BundleBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lady_E If a person comes to a country to live or study or work and the national language there is English, I think it is necessary to learn and speak English. But I do not think is it necessary for every one to speak in English. Why should a president speak in English? They are proud of their language and would speak in that language even if they know English. Case in point France. Even though many French might know English they always speak in language French. They are proud of their language! Wouldn't it be boring if the whole world world spoke one language, followed one religion and had one culture? What makes this world interesting is its diversity.

1. Lady_E profile image62
        Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess so, Bundleboy.  You have got a point.

3. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They do it to be rude and also ignorant...it's like going to wales in the UK and they are all in a pub speaking english and then you then walk in and they speak welsh....totally ignorant!!

4. Keith S profile image61
      Keith Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Even if we are proud of our language and culture, our common sense should dictate us that what is more important is that our speech should be understood by those hearing us. Unless understood, it is not a speech... It may be termed as murmering or even barking at our opponents.

Now, as English is understood in almost all the countries, English may be taken as a common language. All leaders may speak in English even if their language is superior than English.

3. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61

Even if we are proud of our language and culture, our common sense should dictate us that what is more important is that our speech should be understood by those hearing us. Unless understood, it is not a speech... It may be termed as murmering or even barking at our opponents.

Now, as English is understood in almost all the countries, English may be taken as a common language. All leaders may speak in English even if their language is superior than English.

4. Kidgas profile image64
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I think it is important to determine your audience and communicate with them in the most effective way.

5. charlemont profile image75
    charlemontposted 14 years ago

Is there a shortage for interpreters? If a nation elects a president who doesn't speak English, it's doesn't mean they have made the wrong choice. In fact, Mandarin Chinese is spoken by more people than English. Does it mean every president should speak Chinese?

6. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 14 years ago

I think they can convey better and to more people if it is in english.

7. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61

It is not compulsory for all world leaders to speak in English. Only when they come to world forums to discuss common issues., they should speak in English or arrange for a transcript and reader.

8. profile image0
    jami430posted 14 years ago

Wow, I absolutely do not think every leader should speak English, and I have degree in English. Quite honestly, English is a pretty awful lingua franca for SO MANY reasons. Chinese might legitimately become the real "international language" someday.

9. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I fully support learning bilingual or multulingual languages and think people should be proud of that skill. smile also, they get paid more wink

10. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Why should they, Gordon Brown doesn't speak English he has his own language, called bullshit, is that an international language ?

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL.

I'm so glad I didn't have a mouthful of drink.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your talking politics, then yes, bullshit is the International language!

11. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I believe that learning another language-- other than the one you are born into- helps change you into a better thing person. You learn that there are other points of view, other idioms, other figures of speech-- other ways of expressing yourself according to cultural differences.

I think every person who considers himself educated, should have at least a conversational grasp of some other language-- even if it is similar to his own.

The appreciation of other cultures is enhanced by learning another language. The cultural heritage of many disappearing societies needs to be preserved by preserving the nuances that each language provides. Information is lost when any dialect disappears.

On the other hand, because of the spread of internet information-- English should be at least one of two languages everyone knows.

1. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you saying that anyone who does not speak a second language cannot be considered educated?

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm good at HyperText Markup Language. It's a language!

1. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was going to suggest HTML too but then what comes out on the page would be a spoken language.  Unless the world leaders just used images to communicate. smile

12. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

I think all world leaders should speak Gaelic. smile

Makes as much sense as expecting all world leaders to speak English.

1. lxxy profile image61
      lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or Esperanto.

I don't really think language is much of a barrier, because we often think mostly in metaphors--at least, I know I do. ;D

1. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile To be fair to all I think all world leaders should be forced to learn and communicate in Bikya. smile

13. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

I think it's insulting and presumptuous to expect foreign leaders to speak English. That being said, it is in the best of any political leader, leader in business, etc., to know and understand the language(s) of their friends and adversaries if they are going to achieve what's in the best interest of their people, company, whatever.

Moreover, I do believe if you are going to move to another country and become a thriving member of that society, you should do your best to learn the first language of that country, whether that is English in America, French in France, whatever. This practice is generally expected in other countries, so why not in America, too.

In America, there's always the struggle of whether to hang on to culture and language, or join the melting pot that makes this country great. Regardless of whether you are a first- or tenth-generation American, you can learn English and the ways of this country while holding on to your culture and customs. In fact, this country is lucky enough to enable and encourage people to maintain their culture.

But don't forget, it was the intention of our founding fathers (most significantly Jefferson) that everyone learn English as a way of becoming an active citizen -- a person who can vote.

14. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I Think everyone should speak English......  I hate it when I cant communicate with someone because of language, I know I should learn other languages too, but I am hopeless at them.... This is a tongue in cheek comment, not to be taken too seriously

15. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Luckily for the politicians, bullshit can be spoken in any language wink.

Personally, I think world leaders should be required to speak in the national language of their country. Yes, it's great to know other languages and great to have an understanding of other cultures, but why should, say, a Russian leader be required to speak English if most of the people in his country speak only Russian? (replace the country and language with any in the world, it works for all of them)

Aside from the other great reasons already mentioned for speaking in one's own language, I think it is especially important for a leader to speak in their native language. The best politicians are charismatic and well-spoken, and everyone communicates best in their own language. Sure, any politician can have an English-speaking speech writer pen them a wonderful piece in English, but they will be less effective in communicating anything that isn't already written out. No matter how long you have studied or how well you know a second language, you will likely never reach the level of proficiency in that language as you have in your native tongue.

16. Keith S profile image61
    Keith Sposted 14 years ago

I think world leaders should speak Latin or some other extinct language. They just talk to each other anyway.

17. Keith S profile image61
    Keith Sposted 14 years ago

I think world leaders should speak Latin or some other extinct language. They just talk to each other anyway.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)