What do you think of this Bill to create Civillian force and new Draft

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

It is all alright people, once this great nation is broke they can draft us all and waste our lives as they wasted our monies. From what I understand this Bill is set to emerge from committee and be brought back to the floor of both Houses of Congress.

---Congressman Charles Rangel, a Democrat (NY), introduced on 14 February 2006 a bill in the US Congress which requires:

"all persons in the United States, including women, between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform a [two year] period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes."  ---

http://www.examiner.com/city-buzz-in-lo … now-debate

Full text of the Bill here....

http://www.examiner.com/city-buzz-in-lo … now-debate

I would think many would want to call their Reps and Senators and scream about killing this bill in committee.

But!... I would be very interested in hearing what people think of the re-institution of the draft and this new Civillian force?

I do not like it. I do not think the president, any president, needs his own army on America soil to control the populace.

Bad idea in my estimation.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm against the draft full-heartedly.

But I kind of feel like we need to have it so that the wars will finally end.

If you take away enough freedom in a short enough period of time (a draft law), then the public will finally get pissed off.

I have mixed feelings about the law, but I know that if they ever came for me, I'd be waiting in my home with my rifle cocked and ready.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
        Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"But I kind of feel like we need to have [a draft] so that the wars will finally end."
        You're right. Someone once said that the USA didn't go to war. The US Marines went to war. The USA went to the mall. And that's why (most) people haven't come out against the various wars--there's no danger that their kids, their grandkids, their big brothers, or they themselves are going to have to go--unless those people happened to volunteer.

It's hard to get people to act when the people who are being sent to die are strangers who volunteered. Why should I worry about strangers who volunteered to do this, people think. For most people, especially most people who thought invading Iraq was a good idea, If there was a chance that they would be drafted, they'd sing a different tune. It'd go something like this:

"Sarge, I'm only 18, got a ruptured spleen, and I always carry a purse
        I got eyes like a bat and my feet are flat, and my asthma's gettin' worse
        Think of my career and my sweetheart dear and my poor old invalid aunt
        Besides i ain't no fool, I'm goin' to school and I'm workin' in a de-fense plant!"

--the chorus of The Draft-Dodger's Rag

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(Army) Psychiatrist-Author M. Scott Peck, credited as one of the most influential people of the twentieth century, wrote that one of the main factors that ended America's involvement in Vietnam was the draft - for exactly the reason you mention.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
            Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And the repeal of the draft has led to the disengagement of many Americans from political life. When policy decisions no longer directly affect your life, many people can't be bothered to pay attention.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am over 42 and am now returning to my nap. smile

1. profile image0
        Sherlock221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't say that, 42 is stll in the spring of youth, and certainly not an age when a nap is needed.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Come to think of it, if all the whippersnappers get drafted, companies will be forced to hire the over-40 crowd. smile

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

The idea of "civilian service" is a good one.  It would bring together different people in a common aim and would be to the benefit of society.  There aren't too many shared experiences in modern society, and this would provide one, and hopefully would create a deeper appreciation of other people.

3. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I wonder if the "Civilian" force is exempt from the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878?

When this same subject was discussed in a different thread, that was the one-and-only positive feature of the civilian force that was mentioned. (At least, the only one I saw.) But, like everything I have ever seen or heard from any government, something that sounds like a good idea in one respect can turn out terribly, when it is in the wrong hands.

4. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

2006?

TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes they put it in committee and it is about to emerge, from what I understand. I am under the impression Rengal and some others are bringing it back to the floor.

So yes, 2006.

I searched everywhere for a link about it being re-raised again... but the media isn't talking. One of the pols spouted something about it the other day on C-SPAN and it peaked my interest again.

I wrote a Hub about the correct spelling and usage of peek, peak, and pique.

TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have nothing better to do than point out a misspelled word in my comment today, Afi?

Are you that bored?

Besides man... I am an American... and we are known world-wide for butchering the English language in ever new ways.

I am upholding a great time honored tradition.

Haha big_smile

I am an American too, but I don't take pride in the particular tradition you mention.

So, it seems maybe you are too busy to notice that I really did have better things to do than point out a misspelled word.  Three posts in a row, and that's the only one you saw?

Great post. lol

But, in fact, I really am too busy to continue this, so TTFN.  big_smile

5. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Slavery!

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is the purpose of extra manpower in the army when it's been downgrading in the last decade? Makes zero sense.

6. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

I was drafted for the Vietnam war.  There is a lot wrong with war and when I was one of the lucky one to leave Nam I felt we should do all we can to keep people from having to face this horror BUT over the years I have listened to some Americans complain, critize, put down others to the point where I say we have become to soft, we act like we have all the answers, we never stop telling others where they are wrong, things has to always be our way- maybe we should have the draft again and that way when soldiers are coming over that wire and bullets hitting all around you then you can show us just how smart you really are.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not a bad idea. It would discourage unnecessary, foolish, costly wars and would put some young people to work on useful projects.

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Ralph Deeds

1. Moderndayslave profile image59
          Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it should be a "must" for political office.

1. SpanStar profile image61
            SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
            Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good idea!

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

instead of this bill, let's just end the wars.

Sound good everyone?

Cool! Vote for Ron Paul!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)