Is Christianity REALLY A Religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (56 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Since the very word 'Christian' was first used in Antioch in the early Church days to describe the apostles and early disciples who's very life and character was a clone-reflection of Christ's character - in meekness, gentleness, non-discriminatory, and compassionate. They saw these virtues in them and could only describe it as 'Christ-like' or Christian. That being the case, is Christianity or living like Christ a religion, or is it simply a kind of life. A lifestyle?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, one the one hand.  It is a religion.  It fits the profile of a belief system filled with rituals and "guild lines" that are expected to be followed.

On the other hand, it is a way of life because people when people are very passionate about their religion then religion is their way of life.

I think, basic human principals and a peaceful way of life are overlooked because some people find that through religion, they have had better lives and since it worked for them it starts to becomes a burden to others when they are told that even though they live happy lives and are good natured people that they are somehow wrong.

In the book of Habukkuk (I hope I spelled that right) the person who wrote the letter states in short.

The man who throws his net out in the water and catches many fish worships the net because in the mans eye, the net is what brought them their fish. 

But the man was clearly distressed because he worshiped to his god and prayed to his god and received no help.  Much like many people still do today.  Asking, why doesn't god help?

So the important lesson that I took from the story was that making assumptions that a "thing" will bring you good fortune is a disaster. 

It is the effort, the god in man, who puts forth the effort that catches the fish.  Obviously in the story there was more to it. But in essence, the same thing happens today with fundamentals.

If something brings you joy, luck or sustenance, man tends to believe in whatever it was that brought them their luck at the time and in some ways becomes superstitious or ritualistic because they don't want the good fortune to go away.

But I believe what happens is that, when people start to do this, they start to turn away from themselves and rely on things that never did bring them luck or joy but it was always within man to begin with.

When you forget that and start convincing yourself that god or the gods are angry with you or you did something wrong because something unfortunate happened you want to get it back but never look back into themselves which is where it came from in the first place.

2. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was Peter a Christ-clone? What would Ananias and Saphira have to say about that? Compassionate???

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I said in Antioch they noticed that the disciples acted like Christ. The people noticed this, and they were the ones that gave them the name - Christians, Christ-like.

1. Paraglider profile image88

I know that's what you said. But "People" were wrong if they believed the execution of Ananias and Saphira was a Christ-like act of the Apostle Peter.

1. profile image0
            SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But what you seem to miss Paraglider is that Peter did not kill them. (Act 5:3  But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
            Act 5:4  Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
            Act 5:5  And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.)

Peter discerned that they lied abd said so. when they heard those words that Peter spoke they fell dead. Jesus went about doing good everywhere He went. He also discerned the thoughts and actions of those around Him.

1. Paraglider profile image88

I missed nothing, Sir D. The NT has Jesus saving and forgiving sinners (albeit with the injunction not to sin again). Peter simply condemns. And they fall down dead. Killed by? Peter? Holy Ghost? Their own guilt?
              Either way, your mate Peter comes a cross as a bit of a bungler.
              Now, I don't believe the story true. But you do, so you should really have a better explanation of it smile

1. profile image0

I only responded to what you brought up. Whether you believe it or not makes no difference and doesn't change what happened. I will not push the issue. Hope you are having a good day or night where you are.

3. nightlymistress profile image61
      nightlymistressposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All i have to say is that Christianity USED to be a religion.
      It  wasn't until I found all of these conflicting verses in the Bible that it didnt take rocket science to know it's not Holy. And truly, anything that's not holy is not god's word.That's not the only reason why either. I dont have enough space to tell you all the reasons why . And im not going to either. Even if i did provide all the information in the world, no one would listen , and im surely not about to start. Oh, yeah , just to clarify, Jesus was a prophet, a man. And he did not die on the cross.You can't die for someone else's sins either. Even the "Holy" bible says it. Not all the scriptures were burned.He never told you to call him god either.
      I honestly doubt the bible is the word of god. Not just me, but im speaking for the millions of others who do too. Im not trying to make you angry. The truth hurts, dont it?  (for you i mean.)

2. bennyjet profile image61
    bennyjetposted 14 years ago

that brudda jesus christ got 'Fired up' a few times..so he wasnt a saint all the time smile therefore was born human.had human emotions!
    Christianity is really what? A group of Religous people who have used Christ's name in there effort to gain favour to the gateway of heaven!
    What is religion? A group of people who project there beliefs into the community based on fear of mortality,who build an empire of wealth based on peoples fear and ignorance, &'look down' at other beliefs if it does'nt fit into there own Cuckoo-clock!

3. Precious Pearl profile image74
    Precious Pearlposted 14 years ago

Christianity is not a religion but a way of life in which people who believe in Jesus Christ, God the Father and the Holy Spirit have a relationship with all three and live their lives by the Word of God.  Religion is binding ... Real Christianity is not about rules and regulations but a relationship in which you are changed through an exciting, transforming, redeeming love.

1. karpouzian profile image60
      karpouzianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like you Precious.  I agree with this 100%.

1. Precious Pearl profile image74
        Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Karpouzian ... I appreciate your comment.

2. profile image0

Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. Whom the Son has set free is free indeed.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any time it's followers feel the need to preach meaningless platitudes at you every time the subject comes up, rather than answer the question, I am going with christianity being a religion. wink

1. profile image0

If you were to read back up to my comments here, you will notice that I did not say it wasn't a religion. All religions are also lifestyles because people live their lives according to their beliefs. Even atheists live according to their beliefs or lack of beliefs.

As far as preaching goes, God will use the foolishness of preaching to confound the wise. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Like I said - it is a religion. And I think you missed the point the OP was making.

If "christians" lived their lives following the teachings of christ rather than coming across as judgmental hypocrites intent on spreading the word, I would have a much different opinion of their religion.

Big difference. Huge even. So huge, it makes one realize the truth. wink

1. profile image0

Jesus made judgments many times in the New Testament. Do you want examples?

I see. and no, I do not want examples of christ judging. I am well aware that you think that is what christianity is all about - judging. wink

No doubt over here. lol

1. profile image0

Christianity is so much more than you even know. it is more about a revelation of Jesus Christ through the Holy Ghost. Until that revelation is made to you personally, you cannot really know who Jesus is.

That is where you are wrong. This is the problem with blindly following a doctrine. I know who jesus was, and he ain't the guy you are in love with.

You do not even understand the basics of your belief system. All you can do is parrot things like this - which if you think about it - mean nothing.

If you did, you would not write the type of things you do.

2. karpouzian profile image60
          karpouzianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mark, (and I include myself in this).  Christianity would be great if it weren't for the people.  sad

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ghandi's quote says it best:

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

2. Precious Pearl profile image74
        Precious Pearlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, we are free in Him not bound. Amen!

lol lol

No discussion here then? lol lol

Shout it out !

4. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I think you have made an excellent point.  Christ really didn't have any doctrine.  He never renounced being a Jew.  He just told everyone to follow their heart and be kind to others.  Paul, sort of, turned his teachings into doctrine, but Jesus never did.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could not agree more.  Some of Paul's teachings about women are a little problematic in my mind.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem I have with Paul is that his teachings were not based on the actual word of Christ, but on his own beliefs.

1. world of the wise profile image67
          world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paul was guided by the spirit, God always use our minds... and satan can also use others

2. profile image0

C'mon girls, give the apostle a break. I happen to admire the guy. He never imposed any of those things on woman. In fact, Paul would always say that his instructions were not absolute. He only spoke as was suitable to the people. 1 Cor 7.6

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
            Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In all honesty, Paul was the one who changed Christ into a religious leader and Christianity into a religion.  If you don't believe Christianity should be a religion, you only have Paul to blame.  However, Christ did talk about "my church", so that could be a giveaway for what was to come... considering I understand the translation correctly.

5. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

Christianity is a way of life which leads to greater life

6. world of the wise profile image67
    world of the wiseposted 14 years ago

NO NO NO, its the people who have neva seen the light who judge us

1. world of the wise profile image67
      world of the wiseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we christians are always cool. Very soon i will send all my theist and atheist friends a video and after that, i know all will be converted

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

remember the whole "not changing people" thing?

2. profile image0

How many times did Jesus discern whete people were thinking? Didn't Jesus say to Peter, "Get behind me Satan!"? Did He not say that the world is condemned already? John 3:18-20

7. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

How many cans of these same worms do we have in stock at Hub Pages?

Oh well. Protein is protein...

lol

Seems to be a never ending supply......

Although - as I mentioned to some one earlier - The amount of "unconditional love," "respect for others beliefs," and "open mindedness," is starting to get me down, so I think it is time for a vacation from these forums. big_smile

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Sarcasm, right?

(Hey am I quick or what?)

Seriously, it's been unusually unpleasant at HP of late, not just in the forums either. Maybe we could all use a vacation. smile

You got it. LOL

Everyone is under pressure, and I rather think that the way some believers deal with it is in this way. Push harder - it is for their own good. That way you do not look at your own mess in the back yard.

Me - I do not seem to be any more or less obnoxious than usual, but certainly more susceptible to being belittled. Which is what they excel at. So - time for a break. smile

2. profile image0

No Mark, you cant possibly mean that! big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think he does fiery. I am just about "loved out" too.

1. profile image0

No! Not you, too. First Cabin girl leaves. Then bc. Now Mark and Ernest are leaving the forums. What's going on here, people!!! What's the epidemic???

1. tantrum profile image60
              tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the B.A.H. flu

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
                Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nobody leaves ,unless they go on vacation or their is computer is down lol

Welcome to the hotel california( free to check it but ya cant leave) lol

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
            IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess this is what we call, Christian Brotherly LOVE!

I know I'm as guilty as anybody, but something I learned from these TERRIFIC Hubbers, is that I was the one not walking in the fellowship of Christ.  ME!  See, they don't have too, and we as Christians ARE TO LOVE them anyways, embrace them as our companions in life, and love them for who and what they are.  That is the TRUE Christian spirit, and the true bloodline to Christ. Since they don't believe, they aren't beholden to something other than themselves.  And if you really look deeply into this conflict, you'll see that 9x's out of the 10, these non-believers represented Christ-like behavior, better than we!

Christians, YOUR job as a lover, follower, and disciple of Jesus Christ is to embrace our challenges, and our opposition in brotherly love. We are suppose to lead by example.  Christ was tortured, his skin torn to threads, tissue hanging off his body, thorns pushed deeply into his skull, and yet.........

He turned the other cheek, saved those he could, love them even though he was hated.  He REPRESENTED!  None of us Christians, who participate in this forum is a beaming light of true brotherly love.  I hope Mark, and others like him read this.  Whether they stay or go, the damage has been done.  And shame on US!  NOT THEM!!!  We are the cowards, who could not do what was right by them. 

You see, WE are to face the deepest depths of challenges with dignity, respect, and most importantly love. And we haven't.  I've stayed away from this forum for the most part since my irrational outbreak like 7 months ago, because I knew I didn't have enough of God's grace inside me to embark on another adventure with Mark Knowles, and others like him.  I couldn't.  I could not respectfully handle; certain insults, altercations, or VIEWPOINTS (because that is ALL they really are).  I'm not Christ, and could not do my faith justices, by "hating" them back or getting even.  When someone has the capabilities to push you to the point of sheer ignorance, like Mark, Pam, LG, etc... could concerning myself, I realize that instead of bashing them- the best thing I could do was learn from them.  There opposition, and directness was exactly what I needed.  It was a way of reminding me of what it means to be a Christian.  Maybe Christ's way even! 

Now, I know that many of you Christians believe like I do- that God's "Will" can be shown in many different packages and ways.  Have you ever stopped to think, that maybe GOD was trying to teach YOU what it means to be a true follower of Christ? We are taught that God, or Christ can come to us in any moment, and in many different "lights."  So maybe God was testing me.  How do YOU know he wasn't testing YOU??? 

Now I know all Christians have heard that one before- "testing".  Well, I think I flunked that test.  But boy did I learn from it.  Now- if any of you has "that" direct link of God's, so precisely pinpointed that YOU know HOW he is planning on testing you next; I'll buy it from you.  Because there IS NOWAY of KNOWING when and HOW our testaments come. 

It is the job of all Christians, to lead by example and prove to them grace of God and Jesus Christ is REAL, through OUR actions as lovers of Christ.  Shame on US, shame on ME and shame on YOU!  Turn the other cheek!  Love thy neighbor!  Ever heard those words put together before?  As a TRUE Christian, YOU know YOU have!  Then....  why are they leaving, if every Christian in here has been behaving correctly?

Our Christian excuses, to justify our poor behavior is a poor excuse of covering our own selfness, and degrees of ignorance towards the GOD we worship. And if you think you weren't one of the "ones", you are mistaken. We are all guilty in the eyes of Christ.  We are a fellowship of lovers remember.  A fellowship in his likeness. 

Maybe instead of always asking Christ for forgiveness, maybe we should be asking our opposition for some forgiveness as well.  Thank You- Julie

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
              Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey long post ,make a good hub smile

8. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

You know I actually still consider myself a Christian because I admire certain parts of the Bible, but I would not want to hang out in many churches.  There are a few open minded churches with people are really kind and generous, but the majority are just judgmental.  One friend's parents went to church for years, but everyone spoke badly towards them because they refused to get married.  However, many people in that church got married and divorced repeatedly, but her parents are still together.

Another friend is actually what I would consider to be a very devout Christian, but her ex made sure she felt bad all the time.  He used to question her about the Bible, and finally broke up with her because he said she was not "Christian" enough for him.  Interestingly this did not stop him from hooking up with another girl two weeks later, and both of them work at a Christian camp.

9. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

I think the problem here is that we have one word - "Christianity" - and at least two different phenomena. The spiritual/philosophical approach, and the organisation which grew up ostensibly to promote it, but actually devolved, as they all do, to promoting itself instead.

It's similar to "marriage", which means both the loving lifelong commitment for better or for worse, and the social-legal construct that binds people in limiting and unloving situations as often - or more often - then it acknowledges a genuine commitment to mutual lifelong support.

In both cases, we end up in a situation where someone who genuinely lives the original principle (whether "Christian" or "marriage") is told by the organisational police that they don't belong in the institution because they don't fit some arbitrary criterion that some person developed later, and justified post hoc.

In the case of Christianity, there are atheists, Buddhists, and "New Agers" who are more Christ-like than most baptised, born again and otherwise sanctified Christians. And in the case of marriage, there are same-sex, transgendered, and multi-lateral partnerships that are more loving and mutually supportive than most legally sanctioned marriages.

My husband an I were legally wed a long time after we got philosophically/emotionally/commitment-wise "married". And we only did the legally thing for the sake of the conservative relatives, really, We didn't feel it was necessary.

Likewise, many good Christians don't feel attending a organised church is necessary.

So you really need to specify the way in which you are using the word ...

Jenny

10. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

It is only an extremely secularized society that makes any distinction between religion and way of life. To the observant member of any religion, there is no difference.

11. Queendenise35 profile image60
    Queendenise35posted 14 years ago

True Christiantiy  about faith in Christ,s  burial, death and resurrection. Christ,s teachings give two of the most commandments,  Love God with all you being and second love thy neighbor. Christ main concern wasn,t praticing a religion, but a personal relationship with a Living God. Living a Christian life isn,t about religion. True Christians serve Christ because they love and adore him.   God wants to fellowship with his creation through relationship not religion.  I didn,t believe  ,or put my trust in religion only on Christ. Christ  will never forsake me.
      From
    the Hub of Queendenise35

12. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

Julie,

I honour your courage, responsibility, and willingness to look within.

You are a true hero.

May many others, Christian or any other religion, atheist or agnostic, follow your fine example.

Jenny

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ramen smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)