jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Christians in Action for Service, Love and Peace

1. JonTutor profile image59
    JonTutorposted 7 years ago

My mother's side we're Catholics.... But I'm not proud to be a Catholic.... when I read about Child Abuse.... but I'm proud of these Christians.... who gonna really perform these acts of kindness.... and gonna run shelters for homeless, care for the sick and feed the hungry.... World's gotta be so much better if we had more people who practiced love.... instead of only talking about it..... You gotta read  "Annette Ciketic helps run Beacon House in San Pedro, California, a hostel for men recovering from drink and drug addiction" smile

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8189793.stm

1. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How much charitable work have you done?

JonTutorposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Very little.... but my point.... organized religion....  Churches not necessary.... even outside Church Charity possible. smile

1. Bibowen profile image89
          Bibowenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sure, it's possible. There is plenty of charity going on outside churches. Most entertainment stars love to inform you about how they are helping the hungry in Darfur. They've been told that it will be good for their image and so they give out of their abundance.

But from where has most of the charity come historically (and even today)? Another way to put it, Where is a person likely to think he'll get help: at the local atheist chapter or at the local Baptist church?

I'm sure some do charity for PR... others really motivated.... I'm not aware of others internal motivations.... but I'm gonna disagree.... only Churches  help.... and my step dad is atheist.... and he does far more charity then anybody else in my family.... they're all Catholics. smile

1. Bibowen profile image89
              Bibowenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have no argument with that and at one level, I'm glad people do the right thing, regardless of their motivation. But one of my points is that, historically, charity is more likely to come out of religious motivation, namely the Christian religion.

I think it's possible that unreligious charity could be more abundant, but I don't think the record shows that.

I'm done with this thread--I'm not interested in arguing about "who gives more"; I want to make the historical point. I'm glad people give, no matter what their motivation.

I just hope there're less sick and hungry folks in the world... doesn't matter who does.... as long as it is done.... unless we have reliable statistics... neither of us gonna know for sure... the answer...   from where most Charity comes from. smile

2. quietnessandtrust profile image61
    quietnessandtrustposted 7 years ago

a hostel???

Did you mean hotel?

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

mmmm... I hope he did maybe he meant a halfway house for people with addiction and they call them hostel where he is located but then again he does reside in the U.S.A. big_smile

Dude its "hostel".... I didn't write it..... I gave an excerpt from the link. smile

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago

THE TRUTH doesn't know what a hostel is

smile smile smile smile

lol

4. fierycj profile image85
    fierycjposted 7 years ago

Good link, Jon...very commendable indeed. smile

Thanks Fiery.... please leave now.... before you burn this place.... lol

1. fierycj profile image85
        fierycjposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ha ha ha hey, notice how Human torch can be on fire and still is able to touch people and all without burning them up. Like for instance, when he's catching a damsel falling from a skyscraper and all. Yeah, I can do that, too. wink

ha ha... You gotta vivid imagination.... please make the next King Kong Movie. lol

working