Who should get my thithe?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (99 posts)
  1. profile image51
    Barressyposted 14 years ago

Is it proper to give my thithe to the widow,orphan and the stranger in need?

1. TMMason profile image62
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

1. profile image51
        Barressyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then why do pastors never emphasize this? Most of the ones I have heard preachng tell people to bring thithes to the church and never mention giving them directly to those in need in our society.

1. The Rope profile image61
          The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure where you've been going to church but pastors do and should ask congregants to bring their thithes to the church, it's needed to support the church and the mission of the church.  Most that I've attended ask for "thithes and offerings" - this is inserted so that the thithes can be given to support the church organization and the offerings are used to support the needs of the community.  If you don't find that your particular congregation is supporting the same things you feel passionate about, go church shopping.

1. profile image51

Do not misunderstand me, what I intended to know is if apart from giving and thithing in church, I can also give and thithe to the needy when an opportunity shows up. Cos much is not taught about this, and at times when I do this I feel and wonder if I have done the right thing, sometimes the church raises am offering for the needy and I feel I can give directly to them if I come across them but then, its proper I believe, if I ask.

You can give till it hurts. That is your own individual choice.

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
              Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I give to the salvation army because I actually see them in my neighborhood making a difference helping those in need...

2. TMMason profile image62

Being a middle man has its perks.

Reputation, money, choices who to help, etc, makes'em feel important. I would think.

But not all, don't take me wrong. Not all do the wrong thing or live well while doing it.

I just prefer not to have someone between me and someone I am helping.

Or talking to, like God. I can talk to him myself.

Must be my protestant upbringing. Not that I am any certain denomination. I am Christian period.

Good ole Martin Luther, he was right. No middle men neccessary.

1. greeneyesH1982 profile image60
            greeneyesH1982posted 14 years agoin reply to this

i pretty much agree with this

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will only suggest that you pray before giving anything at all. God loves a cheerful giver. Tithes are not a part of salvation, but is strictly voluntary. It is simply between you and the Lord.

1. profile image55
        (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even though he isn't one himself, a giver, that is. His great works of generosity are seen in small graves across the planet, thousands of new ones, daily, with fresh young souls for him to feed on.

Of course, we wouldn't want you acting out of compassion for your fellow man when your own personal salvation is on the line.

And, to hell with everyone else.

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So I guess we non believers can't tithe? smile

1. Jerami profile image58
            Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems that whoever your are  or whatever your beliefs are, many people are going to not believe what you believe.
              Therefore I must be a non believer acording to someone elses defination, If I do not believe what they believe?
            So we are all nonbelievers?
            ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That would make sense to me, yes. smile

2. profile image55

I think we can, that is, if we want to support a religious organization and be confident our offerings are spent wisely. Since it's practiced all over the world, there does not appear to be a restriction on who can and who can't offer tithe.

We have a really good church infrastructure locally which I have always supported. Never heard a religious word pass their lips in 12 years!
              They are all too busy feeding the poor and caring for the homeless and kids that need help to do any preaching. smile
              I was being sarcastic in reply to the prev. post as you will have figured. smile

1. profile image55

Fantastic. It sounds like they are giving where most needed and giving credit where credit is due. I suspect you'd be one of the first to point it out if they weren't?

I suspected that at first, but there was a smiley, not a wink beside your post.

Yes, I am not very accurate with the smileys sometimes. smile

2. profile image0
          SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

God gives you everything you need to survive. The air that you breathe, the food you eat all comes from God.

1. profile image55

Yet, he only gives that food to you and yours while ignoring thousands of children who die of starvation every day.

How do you explain that massive discrepancy, SirDent?

1. profile image0
              thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh boy this again. This "argument" has been answered several times Q, why bring it up again? You look desperate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F8zEC4L2fs

1. profile image55

The argument has been ignored, diffused, sublimated, eschewed, justified, protested and a host of other pejorative and irrational attempts.

It's never actually been answered, though.

3. Tom Cornett profile image82
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Usually...if it goes through the hands of religion...they receive crumbs.

If it goes from your hand to theirs...they receive the bread.

1. profile image0
        sarah dawkinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WELL SAID..........  I find giving directly to those in need greatly satisfying.

4. richypee profile image60
      richypeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can give gifts and charity to orphans or the needy but tithe is for the church, thus why God says "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse". It is church, oh, most people thinks when you give tithes to the Pastor, you're enriching him  but the point is, the anointing on the minister is not for him only. We don't just contact the anointing by saying but by tithing. Never hesitate in giving tithes but remember tithes are not for orphans but for the church.

5. Lady_E profile image72
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not for us to say, it's your call!

6. yolanda yvette profile image61
      yolanda yvetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your tithe should go to whatever church you are a member of.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong. You give it to the church, then you're helping no one but the church. You give it directly to the people, then you're helping the people. smile

7. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can give it to me ! big_smile

8. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll take it.

2. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

In my line of thinking, a thithe is paid in to support something, an offering is given to help.  I like TMMason's answer.

3. angelicwarriors profile image71
    angelicwarriorsposted 14 years ago

before Jesus walked the face of the earth, we lived by the bible law... The law was very clear as what was expected of us... We were to tithe 10% (not only 10% but the first fruits) The laws of the land (biblical law) had many customs, and ritutals to make an offer to God as payment for our sin and to show our obidenece to His Law....

Then Jesus came, he made a "NEW" covetant, not to CHANGE the old but to show that it had been FUFILLED.... He spoke in parables, which are not as CLEAR cut as the law was in the old testiment...

So each of us read and see things just a little different, not once did Jesus tithe in the new testiment as far as I can tell... (if you say he had nothing to tithe did he and his disciples have bread and fish??? back to the first fruits of the old testiment times)

BUT

He did feed MANY with what they had, not only food but with Words, now from the Word Of God I read that I am to be like Jesus, so with all that said I must say that I alone will answer to God for what I do....

I tithe ZERO.... now that said I do give much more then 10%, but I give it where I feel it is needed most... Some times I give it to the church because I know it cost money to keep a church.... I give to women's centers for abused women a Christian Based Mission group.... I give to the Food bank because they feed the hungry... I give to the rescue mission as they house the homeless...

Now my giving is alot like Jesus' was.... I give not only money, but food, socks, clothing, and my TIME...

FOR ME by my giving, I have been blessed greatly.. not only with THINGS but sometimes just the peace of mind knowing I helped someone that needed it... here is a true story to think about....

The local high school sold tickets for a raffle to raise money to lock the graduates in over night to keep them safe on the day they graduated...

I bought 10 tickets.... not to win, but to support a great cause in my eyes.... Now I have stated I give more then 10%, anyway I gave something the day before the drawing... anyway I won $1,000 bucks Thanksgiving day.... So before we did anything we gave 100 bucks to the church....then my wife asked if we could give gift cards to the womens center... that was 75 bucks... my wife and I decided to buy 300 pairs of wool socks, and 120 pairs of underwear... in hopes that every homeless man had a set of each Christmas day....

I dont state this to brag... it is simply to glorify God who has blessed me more then I could ever want or DESERVED....

so far it sounds like a great story... but here is where the true blessing comes in.... My wife won $400 bucks shortly after all this... just in time for us to buy a snow blower the day of the storm here on the east coast.... how was that a blessing... I was able to help not one, not two, but a FEW elderly neighbors with all the snow that fell here....

So from a few bucks invested in what we felt was a good cause, we were able to help countless people... if we had given that same money to the church as part of our tithe how would this story be different....

NOW like I said one day I will stand before God and answer for these statements.... PLEASE do not go by my words alone.... Turn to God in prayer and ask him what he wants you to do with HIS money that you watch over...

I hope that you find the peace in your heart where you know what you are doing is what God wants from you....

Yup. God moves through all our lives if we just look for him, he is there.

2. profile image51

To God be the glory for your answer, the truth is I have battled over the years with the shame of not being able to sufficiently help out people in need, because for me the thithe is my bulkiest giving and thats when I remember to be consistent, and struggling with giving it to the church and always feeling a deep sense of emptyness and unfulfilment and above all these,feeling that something is wrong that I cant lay a finger on is the more confusing. But thank God for you, now I feel liberated, one more thing I have learnt from you is the aspect of giving more than 10%. I think Im going to give it a shot. Thanks once again and God bless.

3. aguasilver profile image69
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said again.... this is getting to be a habit! wink

4. kess profile image62
    kessposted 14 years ago

Tithe, who concern themselves with paying tithes?

The religious ones who do not yet understand who they are.

The sons of God are under no such  obligation.

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

yikes

6. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I don't do god, I give or tithe directly to give monthly support to child in Africa, I adopted a child, and give to the needy when I can, as well as giving to the church which does a lot for local charity. I try to give of myself every day as well to those I see needing a hand. smile
    Heathens give too! lol

1. glendoncaba profile image73
      glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hurray for your giving to the church and other charities earnest.
      For the new year why not try God as well.  Evidently He already has your tithe. smile

I take people and organizations as I find them. I do not mind that the church that I assist and I disagree on belief and apparently neither do they!
        These are good people doing a good job and deserve my support.
        I support what works, and forgive them their beliefs. lol

1. glendoncaba profile image73
          glendoncabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile  smile  smile

I really appreciate your sense of humour.  If you ever visit Jamaica do join me and my church brethren for a game of domino.  Best wishes for a happy new year.

7. Hunting Videos profile image57
    Hunting Videosposted 14 years ago

I always struggled with this. I thithe 10% to missions and the church. Over and above my thithing I have given to other needs. God knows your heart and if you thithed to help out others, I'm sure God is well pleased.

8. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I gotta go again.  We are goin out to eat and celebrate my wifes graduation on this new years eve.  We are old so it don't take long to celebrate.    See ya later.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Rick Warren is looking for $9,000, you could give it to him...

Oh, excuse me.$900,000 is what he needs...

1. Tom Cornett profile image82
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is he going to die like Oral Roberts said he was going to die if he doesn't get the cash?

10. The Bard profile image67
    The Bardposted 14 years ago

Humanists would argue that giving to charity is a human emotion and part of thousands of years of compassion engendered by experience and evolution.

It's a fair point. But Darwin never rejected God, and as his theories have been hijacked conveniently by both atheists and humanists - Richard Dawkins for example - he can be all things to all men.

Unfortunately, those that would rather worship at the temple of Tesco or Wal-Mart on a Sunday, and drop a few coins into a bucket held by some charity worker, may kid themselves into some peculiar sense of satisfaction. However they don't go to church and cannot embrace themselves in the experience of collective worship.

They miss out considerably, because they cannot experience the feelings of a congregation all united in one joy - the love of Jesus Christ.

It's irrelevant whether Christians feel good by giving to their church. All that matters is that they give, and it is an action to acknowledge that someone, somewhere may be better off because of it.

I'm not a regular church goer, and years past I resented the wealth and power of the Catholic Church. Then again, I rejected the Church of England and its Anglican influences. After all, it was fabricated on the whims and fancies of a monarch who wanted to divorce one woman to marry another.

But if there is one thing that get my hairs standing on end, its going to church on Christmas Day and realising that the day represents everything we hold dear. And when I offer my "tithes" I do it willingly, and it is the one day a year when I light a candle in remembrance of loved ones past.

If you don't experience this, then that is your prerogative. But personally, I see no joy in sitting down with family at a laden table with a turkey as centerpiece to celebrate an occasion of which I have not taken time out to appreciate the meaning.

To do otherwise is hypocrisy and ignorance or contempt. So why bother? We bother that at least one day a year, regardless of our personal beliefs, we respect those of others, and if we didn't there is no meaning, and it is just a purely rampant commercial exercise of wanton largess.

1. profile image55

And here, all along, I was under the impression those theories were put to practical use in micro-biology to combat diseases and viruses, not to mention used for practical purposes in every single body of science today. Silly me.

Embracing mass delusion in worshiping the invisible and undetectable just does not seem to appeal to some people. Go figure.

Would that be the same joy and love that Jesus Christ offers to the starving? How many children starve to death on Christmas day while you and yours are embraced in this so-called joy and love?

1. The Bard profile image67
        The Bardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To "Q".You sound rather bitter. Two issues here. First Darwin: He didn't set out to cure medicinal ills. He embarked on a five year voyage as botanist for HMS Beagle. He formulated his theories and waited a further twenty years to publish them. Your point about them being put to practical use has nothing to do with faith, his faith, my faith or even yours.

Second, your reference to my "joy and Love" as you put it is merely an attempt to cast aspersion and is purely churlish and juvenile.

There's nothing clever about your reply, and such is it's shallow and unqualified substance that I am loathe to respond to it.

nevertheless, you cannot be permitted to spout unadulterated nonsense without a challenge.

Happy new year and cheer up!

1. profile image55

You sound rather presumptuous.

So what? I don't recall referring to his faith or yours.

If you say so, but it does point out the hypocrisy of your post quite nicely.

As expected. One who spouts hypocrisy would be loathe to have to endure the consequences.

Well, where's the challenge, then?

11. In the Light profile image60
    In the Lightposted 14 years ago

During the great commission, the disciples were to spread the good news to the world.  This started with 12 followers of Jesus in Gods design plan for the world to get and receive His message of salvation.  Unfortunately today man is destroying the very existence of man.  If you are to give tithe or service, you should give it to the church to help it grow and deliver in it's visions for the glory of God the Father.  Tithing is relevant in services also, because not many people have money to give.  Only 2% of people honestly give a 10% tithing gift to the church.  Charity goes along way and is appreciated by God, for He tells you that Charity is Love and Love is God.  Use your better judgment to where your money can be best utilize for His glory and His service and not for the living of the world, but for the living to the Father.

12. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I will gladly receive all thithes if they are naked, long and sexy as long as they are attached to a lady.

13. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I am not sure if it matters where we give it, what is most important is that we give and give generously. Just my thoughts, Holly smile

1. profile image55

Here's a thought, Holly.

If Jesus was instrumental in providing the funds to give away, why not just give them back to Jesus and tell him to go feed the starving children?

Why should he give it to us in order for us to give to them? Makes no sense.

1. h.a.borcich profile image59
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Q, I couldn't care less what thoughts rattle around in your cynical mind.

1. profile image55

Oh, I see, you are under the impression that because I expose the hypocrisy and hatred of your religion, that makes me cynical?

No Holly, I'm actually the one here that DOES think humans are compassionate. YOU are the one that believes humans are evil, based on your beliefs.

Who is the cynical one, here?

You claim to know my religion...are you omnicent? No, you don't know what my "religion" is. You are only foolish enough to think you do.
            Again, I couldn't care less what rattles in your cynical mind.
            But I am starting to see the humor in your posts smile

1. profile image55

You make your beliefs well known here, no need to read minds, Holly.

From a few hubs and forum posts you, Q, know all the details about me and what I believe? You must be one of those who can also read the covers of a book only and claim to know verbatim the contents! You funny person smile Oh - could you be a psychic?

Again, I couldn't care less about your cynical mind smile But your sense of humor is shining smile

1. profile image55

I've only commented on the beliefs you've offered, Holly.

Then Q, you have lied or been mistaken. And now I very much doubt you are a psychic! Even your humor is dimming. smile

2. creepy profile image57
            creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

humans are evil they are the only thing on this earth that can be evil

1. profile image55

Or, it is the religions they follow that indoctrinate them to be evil.

1. creepy profile image57

no its the fact that they are self aware and can choose to be evil   religion has nothing to do with it

1. profile image55

Religion has everything to do with it. Without it, we have no reason to be evil.

1. creepy profile image57

religion has nothing to do with why someone is evil  religion can give examples of what is considered evil but will not be the cause of evil thats a humans choice

2. h.a.borcich profile image59

Is that a fact? Upon what do you base such a comment Q? smile

By the way, I have a Dr appointment and won't be on until later today. Didn't want you to think I would run away. Maybe by then you can be a bit more laughable? smile

14. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Seriously, givings the key, not the way you give.  Some give their time, some their talent, some their prayers, some compassion, others money.  Give as you devine to do so in your heart.  You can't go wrong.

15. creepy profile image57
    creepyposted 14 years ago

crickets

16. efeguy profile image39
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

all you stated should be the once,but i wonder if our pastors of today do give it to them

17. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Measured against the bible's morals, even Hitler looks like a light weight bad guy! What parts of the bible do you read? The bible is full of murder, rape, slavery, torture, hate, fear and more all carried out by or sanctioned by the crazed murderer you worship.
    Needing to be worshipped. Strong sign of insanity! lol lol

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yikes! I'm not sure I know how you feel about this topic could you clarify please.

lol lol lol Your humour is getting better all the time sneak! lol

18. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I'll take it. big_smile

1. pylos26 profile image68
      pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that too...is precisely what the last one asserted denno...and he bit the dust as well.

19. pylos26 profile image68
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

I'm sure they could draw you a picture...sneako.

20. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

Q - you are hardly a Bible expert nor are you knowledgable as to how I live, what I believe. If you are happy to think of me as a hypocrite or a blaspemer - go for it. What you think does not have a bearing on who I am. A cynical person behind a computer could not define who I am.

Apparently you think I need to provide proof that God is real to back my belief? We disagree. I think your whopper of a claim is your choice, and I don't need proof. I am fine that you make your choice based on whatever. You want to make a hub about that?

My religion puts a gun to my head? Really? Oh how little you know. Have you ever had a giun to your head? I have. When I was 18 I worked in a gas station, and I was robbed. The robber went in my purse, took out my drivers liscense and informed me he now knew where I lived all while he had a gun to my head. It took three months for him to be caught. I know how a gun to the head feels.Do you?

Tantrum altered my name to make a joke I did not find funny. There are many bullies on here - too many to list. Earnest made the suicide statement. ( I have no beef with Tantrum anymore - we dealt with it it is done - but you wanted proof I am not lying so I stated a fact) What lies?

You bore me that you are so narrow minded and are stuck in a rut with your style of posting snippy comments. But I do find it funny. smile Holly

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)