god?

Jump to Last Post 51-79 of 79 discussions (384 posts)
  1. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

inorganic people ...

lol

2. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

I only see this:

and this:

If I've missed something, by all means point me to the relevant page where you say what usage of fact you are using.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don:
      If that will suffice for you, pls continue with your response. Thanks..

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey "quark"

BTW, we have discovered particles infinitely smaller than you, but much more powerful)

are you ignorant, apathetic or just pathetic.

answer: i don't know what you mean, I don't care what you mean, ummm what do you mean by that?

LOLOLOLOLOL

3. tantrum profile image60

lol
    too much 'intellect' damages the brain

4. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

5. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Jesus is risen!!!!!!....no not really I just had windy pops..bad ass curry!

6. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

I'll make the assumption (based on the context) that you are using factual as in scientific fact.

So real: not imaginary
    Fact: objective, verifiable, empirical evidence

With those terms I read the question as:

"Since there is NO scripture in any monotheistic writing that [describes any objective verifiable empirical evidence of] this god thing, then why are so many convinced "it" is [not imaginary]"

The implication inherent in the question is that objective, verifiable evidence leads to the conclusion that something is not imaginary. Therefore lack of such evidence leads to the conclusion that something is imaginary.

There is problems with this reasoning. If there is a lack of objective, verifiable evidence for something it does not follow that the thing is therefore imaginary. Indeed that's a logical fallacy known as a non sequitur, i.e. the conclusion does not necessarily follow the premises.

To refute the implied argument one would only need to think of a single instance where there is a lack of objective, verifiable evidence for something, which is commonly considered to be real, i.e. not imaginary.

One example of such a thing is the human mind. We are unable to offer any objective, verifiable empirical evidence that others (outside of ourselves) have what we experience as a mind. This is because the activities associated with the mind such as thinking cannot be observed directly. We can directly observe electrical activity in the brain etc, but we cannot directly observe another person's thoughts, emotions, memories etc. We can know nothing of another person’s mind, other than through their behaviour, words, etc. It is subjective, rather than objective. This situation is traditionally known as the "problem of other minds". 

The point is that generally it would be considered absurd to believe all human minds outside of our own are imaginary, even though by the standards of the implied argument, we should.

So that argument (lack of objective, verifiable, evidence leads to the conclusion something is imaginary) is invalid. Concluding something is imaginary soley on the basis of lack of evidence is a fallacy. That doesn't mean to say the thing is true or real, it just means that lack of evidence does not logically lead to the conclusion that something is imaginary which is what your implied argument asserts.

So the question asked, albeit an interesting one, is based on reasoning which is unsound. And it would serve no useful purpose to try and answer such a question other than to point out how and why its reasoning is fundamentally unsound. I hope this will suffice.

1. qwark profile image60

Don:
      You did alot of typing to miss the point so completely.
      whew!
      Before we can even consider all of what you worked so hard to produce, you must provide me with a definition that "factually" defines this god thing. Fact is something which exists.
      Now once you have provided me with a definition, that would make me realize that this god thing "exists" as a reality (not imagined) I'd be more than happy to sit and "hub" with you about it's potential and other salient factors as to it's relevancy to life and the living...can ya do that?

7. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

you are continuing the mute ideology set to justify your curiosity of your existence, based on the premise of logic -which defies the parameters of reality -in that, real is that which is tangible. Yet even in this your logic -for lack there of- is to deny the possibility of your actual purpose as a human. Justifying ignorance, for feel good ideologies and discussion. All the while you know, not think, that you are more than you believe.
    You conscious argument only proves further the reality of your limitation as a creation and your inability to logically accept your finite existence. Still you persist to 'discover' that which has been discovered and proved. Scientifically you are no more valuable in your logic than an ape. At least an ape has common sense.

be original, eh. be REALLY logical.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And your statement proves that you really don't understand reality as prescribed as part of the learning process.

Reality exists. It exists free of independent thoughts, desires, will or wishes. Our reality is an objective reality where all is knowable and defined.

Reality exists regardless of what one person thinks. smile

Something "REAL" is define as in existence. Example: a table exists. The Earth exists. The Universe exists. These are things that are absolute reality. We know they exist, because they been proven to exist, within our reality.

Just in case I missed your point. The ideology trying to be dismissed is mystical inclinations of others. Ignorance is something everyone has, irrelevant whether or not, they are open minded. There are just some thing that some people cannot wrap their minds around, so they choose to not get involved or care to think about it. smile

The biggest problem I continue to say is that people continue to bring in the "GOD" concept into reality or speak of it, as though it's a real thing, with substance. And, it's not.

Our reality is defined and the "GOD" concept was debunked when mankind began scoping out the mind for further knowledge. smile

I don't see a problem with qwark's question, because a factual based definition, would solidify the "GOD" concept as real.

The problem is it cannot be done, just by the knowledge or wisdom, presently obtained by Humankind. The "GOD" concept was created by mankind, but cannot ever be defined. It was meant to be vague and misleading, so as to keep people running in circles looking for answers. smile

Sorry, just rambling. smile

8. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

I think I must have indeed missed your point.

You're implying there isn't a definition which "factually defines this god thing", i.e. a definition which describes "this god thing" in a way which is objective and verifiable. Is that the case?

If so, I agree. There is no such definition anywhere. There is a theological definition of the christian "god thing" (omni this, omni that etc.) but no definition of the type you mean.

So I'm taking the next step and looking at the consequence of that. You're implying the conclusion must be that "the god thing" is imaginary. I'm saying the lack of the definition you seek does not logically lead to that conclusion because absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

So I'm simply pointing out that lack of an objective, verifiable, empirical description of something doesn't logically lead to the conclusion that it's imaginary. If that were the case, many of the things we commonly believe are real would have to be considered imaginary.

Provide you with the definition you seek? There isn't one anywhere. What does that mean? See above. I'm not sure exactly what point you are trying to make beyond that.

1. qwark profile image60

don:
      Easy.
      What is this god thing you speak of?
      Can't put it more straight forward than that? :-)

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

relationary parallel of the "need to know"

what else you got quark?

9. profile image0

learning process? HA!
    your defunct premise of learning is to reason without actual tangibility and define your inadequacy as a basis for self education, explanation and logic?
    HA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what kind of intellectual dope have you been smoking, Cagsil.
    You above all the "gods of OZ"

Please, man. I can get on my soap box too. But unless you come at me with more than regurgitated, pointless and otherwise hackneyed methods of understanding your pointless, pitiful and otherwise unprovable existence, then, I am sorry to say, YOU are in the same class as the rest -useless, foreboding, irrelevant and anatomically no more exiting than eating large quantities of chocolate and taking a sh!te afterward.

And especially since you attempt to come to defense of an otherwise pointless defense of an apthetic aka ape of an ideal.

Ha!!!!!!!!!

logical my arse.
    there is absolutely no logic in quarks question.
    NONE!
    If you had even a clue of logic you would end this discussion by means unacceptable to the quo.

" If you can't bark with the big dogs, biatch, stay on the freakin' porch"

10. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

This all comes down to one easily answered question.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Once we figure this out the rest will just fall in place.

The Farmer

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh oh did you just mention a creator.  *gasps*

2. qwark profile image60

naw Arthur:
      We "know" what both the chicken and the egg are.
      If we didn't, we'd first have to define them, understand them, make meaning of them and then make that decision...or at least consider an answer.
      We have to do the same with this unknown and unknowable god thing.

And when are you going to do this ?

2. aguasilver profile image71
        aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seems that nearly 3 billion people do not have that problem, it's the 6 million atheists who seem to be blind to it.

Romans 1:25

.....who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
          mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes but all are children of god, they will bloom to their god self one day .

11. tantrum profile image60

Maybe next year ?
    lol

12. tantrum profile image60
  13. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

yes?

14. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

What is this "god thing" some people speak of?

I don't know. I know what some people believe the "god thing" is and I know some people don't believe the "god thing" exists at all.

Your point is . . . ? What do you infer from that?

1. qwark profile image60

Don:
      I infer that this god thing is but imagined and not worthy of consideration.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The answer lies more in meditation than debating.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
          AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually inclined to agree with that.

15. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

qwark,

Therein lies the problem. The reasoning of the argument you present is faulty. Your argument looks like this:

1 X cannot be scientifically described
    2 X is therefore imagined and not worthy of consideration

Can you see why (as it stands) the argument is invalid?

To be valid, the premises must always and only lead to one conclusion. This is not the case here. Here the conclusion is disconnected from the premise.

This is a logical fallacy known as a non sequitur which is Latin meaning "it doesn't follow". Stating the assumptions made by the argument explicitly as premises would help in terms of validity, but would not help the soundness of the argument, i.e. whether it is true or not. That's a separate question that hasn't been addressed.

1. qwark profile image60

Don:
      Damn! You are verbose....lolol
      Now pls, before we carry on, what is this god thing?... in terms other than opinion and conjecture.
      See how concise and precise my questions are?
      Try to follow suit.
      thanks...:-)

16. profile image0

it is not necessary to consider a question, not its opponent -an answer. Both are relational parallels of The Need to Know having no core premise for Purity.

17. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

qwark,

very well, in a nutshell

There is no definition like the one you seek.
    So you infer the "god thing" is "imaginary and not worth consideration".
    That inference is invalid for the reasons above.
    You either agree or you don't.
    Which and why?

(interesting game this metaphysics in a nutshell)

1. qwark profile image60

don:
      Beats the hell outa me.
      If this god thing can't be defined in other than opinion and conjecture, it remains a mystery to me why "it" is so passionately believed in by so many.
      I'll probably take that question to my deathbed..:-)

18. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

qwark

Look at it this way
    "The mind" can't be defined other than by opinion and conjecture.
    "The mind" is only a concept.
    We can't factually describe it.
    Our knowledge of it is purely subjective.
    We can't objectively observe another's mind.
    Do you believe "the mind" exists?
    Why?

1. qwark profile image60

Don:
      cogito ergo sum!  :-)

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
        TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know...it's funny you should say that, qwark.

God says *almost* the exact same thing.

1. qwark profile image60

Spider:
          God? God who/what?   :-)

qwark: I already answered this for you once before. God=the entity that created the Universe we're living in: I know some people find it hard to believe that the the universe was created, since random explosions often result in intricate universes...but you asked, there's the answer.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Another one who knows what god says. lol lol

You mean you read it in a book........................ lol

Mark: I have attempted civilized, friendly, rational discourse with you; I was deceived by your many hubs and followers into thinking that you might be a respectful person. But it is clear to me from multiple responses that you do not even completely read the posts of others, especially once you've labeled them a certain way in your mind. Or else you could find MUCH better (and enlightening) things to criticize.

You have *no* idea where I get my information. I'm sorry that you have killed the god inside you and you can't hear him anymore. What god has said is written in many places, not just one book. And there's more than one person around here and throughout history who can hear what he has to say.

If you cannot at least be respectful and remotely tolerant of others you, and others like you, are not worth communicating with.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry - You said you know what god said.

And I am supposed to respect that? lol lol

<snipped - no personal attacks in the forums>

1. sooner than later profile image60
                sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

behold, the future of man kind.

2. Don W profile image81
        Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

qwark

cogito ergo sum is subjective
        you can't define the mind other than by opinion and conjecture
        but you still believe your mind exists
        you experience your own mind
        experiencing your mind leads to your belief it exists
        so the belief your mind exists is based on the belief you are experiencing it
        leading to: you believe it, but you can't define it factually

1. qwark profile image60

don:
          I accept the fact that I, consciously, experience "mind."
          Now how can I "factually" and consciously, experience this "undefinable" god thing?

1. Don W profile image81
            Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

qwark,

you experience "mind".
            (thoughts, feelings, memories, ideas, streams of consciousness etc)
            whether you really do or not is debatable.
            you perceive something and call it experiencing "mind".
            you seem to experience "mind"
            and you form the belief that "mind" exists.

you experience "god thing".
            (you feel loved, forgiven, blessed, enlightened by something beyond yourself etc)
            whether you really do or not is debatable.
            you perceive something and call it experiencing "god thing".
            you seem to experience "god thing"
            and you form the belief that "god thing" exists.

1. qwark profile image60

Don W:
              In ref. to mind, not debateable at all...to me. It may be to you. I can't speak for you.
              Experience this god thing? Also not debateable. Can't debate anything that can't be defined, known, experienced etc., except as sumthin' existing in the imagination...which can only be done by the "mind," which in your "mind," is undebateable also...:-)

19. profile image47
    The Paulposted 14 years ago

If you say "God has no properties," "God can not be described," or things of that sort, then you need to shut up about god.

If god is so ill-defined then it doesn't have opinions on matters of human sexuality, or behavior in general.  It doesn't connect to or affect our reality in any consistent way, it can't be approached or studied.

If it does have opinions on human affairs, if it does connect to our reality in a consistent fashion, or if it can be approached and studied those are properties it has.  "Scientific Properties," if you must.  And they can be described.  And so the "God can't be described," thing reveals itself as a cop out.

20. profile image47
    The Paulposted 14 years ago

To merely describe God as "the entity that created the universe" is exceptionally vague.

Perhaps in the future we develop black-hole power garbage disposal technology.  In this hypothetical future I discover a muffin behind some containers in a cupboard has spoiled and throw it into a black hole to be rid of it.  It then travels back in time, disrupts the quantum vacuum, and creates the universe...

...and so now God is nothing more than baked goods left in a warm, moist environment too long.

1. qwark profile image60

Paul:
      Thank you.:-)

21. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

qwark wrote:

"Since there is NO scripture in any monotheistic writing that factually defines this god thing, why are so many convinced "it" is real?"

I am not so sure they are convinced! Their sub-conscious must be nagging the hell out of them! lol

1. qwark profile image60

Earnest;
      if all they have is "hope," they definitely arent convinced. :-)

2. qwark profile image60

Earnest:
      I finally found that you had read another of my hubs and left a message.
      I ok'd it and responded.
      Thanks for reading my "stuff."

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I only read stuff that is well written. I enjoyed your work and will be back to read more. Wish I could write as well as you! smile

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Earnest;
          Wow!
          I think that is the nicest compliment i've gotten since I started writing!
          You've made my day!  :-)
          Thanks!

Your welcome! Not said lightly, you are good!
            smile

1. qwark profile image60

Hey Earn:
              I just read your "I love Australia" hub and left a response.  Wait'll you read it.  lol :-)

Looking! smile

Thank you very much! I enjoyed your comment immensely! smile

22. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Qwark,

Did you get what you wanted yet? lol lol big_smile

23. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Hi Earnest!  How are ya Earnest?  Nighty night Earnest!

Hi Beth sleep well. smile I am fine, hope you are too. smile

24. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The fastest conversation to ever take place. lol lol

1. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

gotta be quick, or you'll miss!

Night there Cags and Earnest!  Hugs and k's to ya both!!!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you blew it. Now, you turned the fastest conversation in the most meaningless conversation, because it's off topic.

Damn women. lol lol lol lol always getting men distracted in some way, shape or form. lol lol j/k smile

1. Beth100 profile image70
          Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

you never complained before!  lol lol still luv ya though!  BUMP  night!

2. earnestshub profile image81

And to you Beth! smile

25. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

Nope, it can fit it into a smaller nutshell than that:

If (for whatever reason) you genuinely believe you have experienced X.
    Then you will form the belief X exists.
    Your belief that X exists is then grounded in your (apparent) experience of X.

26. profile image0

quark, you should read: The Tao of Physics.

It is one of underscores of my present work: Quantus Philo (loosely translated "How Great Free Will" ).

i am of a projective mind, as well as subjective and absorptive. In truth, we all are. That is the beauty of the human being.
    one of the chapters i make note and proof of a genetic map of the universe and the human brain -so very similar.

don w:
    you sound like a true philosopher and a fan of Hume.
    you cannot 'experience X' if you know nothing of X, and even if you do know something of X your personal interpretation of the experienced is marred by your logical explanation of it.
    so where does that leave you: only to understand or be the infinite X experience, never swaying left or right for knowing or considering, just being in X always.

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Twenty:
      Good luck with your writing.
      There is no man alive or who has ever existed that has all the answers.
      All one can do, is read the thoughts and opinions of others and consider them all.
      Then, if one is so inspired, one can amalgamate all one considers to be of import and create, hopefully, logical  concepts upon which one can guide one's life.
      It's as simple as that. :-)

27. tantrum profile image60

God is all knowing.
    That's why he left.

1. qwark profile image60

tantrum:
      ...amen!
      ...jeez, wait, what the hell is this god thing that left?  :-)

28. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Quack, quack, quack and quack! Basura! Ole!

Quack quack quack!
      I'm sure you can relate. With the  Spanish word, I mean
      lol

29. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

The belief that your mind exists is not debatable to you, but the experience your belief is grounded in is subjective. Therefore the existence of any mind outside our own is very much debatable.

If someone asked you to define “mind” you could not without using opinion and conjecture. If someone asked you to prove the existence of minds outside your own, again you could not objectively do so.

So minds (outside our own) can’t be objectively defined, can’t be experienced, can’t be known. Therefore by your own reasoning minds outside our own are figments of the imagination, i.e. they do not exist.

But such a belief would be absurd in everyday life because we do believe in the existence of minds outside our own. So either we are all entirely wrong, or being able to objectively define something is irrelevant to the belief it exists.

Whoever said “god thing” can’t be experienced? Debatable experience does not equate to false experience. Unless you can categorically show a theists apparent experience of a deity is false you can’t say say it is false. Of course that doesn’t make it true. But it does mean the most you can say is you think it’s likely to be false, or that you don’t know. Anything else is intellectual dishonesty. Moreover believing that something is likely to be false does not mean it is false. Therefore you cannot decribe “god thing” as something which cannot be experienced.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)