After Death

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (40 posts)
  1. John Cain profile image58
    John Cainposted 14 years ago

Do you believe that when a person dies, do they go to purgatory to await judgement, or do they instantly go to wherever they will spend eternity? Please use scripture when possible for your feedback.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Since the first resurrection has already happened; from that day forward when a person dies in the lord they go straight to heaven.
          Evidently the phrase "dieing in the Lord" is left up to interpretation.  For whom ever this "dieing in the lord" excludes I would hope that purgatory and a second chance to think about it is an option.

2. Rayalternately profile image61
      Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

consider the possibility that we just cease to exist and make the best of the time you have. If you think something magical happens when you die all well and good, but live the life you have first... just in case! big_smile

1. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. mod2vint profile image59
        mod2vintposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well Said!!!!

3. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Instantly as time doesn't really exist all is now.

1. aka-dj profile image65
        aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you just say that now, or was it some time ago?
        According to this forum, it was 25 mins ago! How is that possible if there is no time. hmm

1. mohitmisra profile image59

We have created time to try and get some sense into things  ,reality is there is no time all exists in the now .
          When you die there is no time at all ,its a dimension where time or watches don't exist.

Have you heard the saying god is beyond time, is timeless?

Man is rarely living in the now he keeps thinking of the past or the future ,if you live totally in the now you will experience god or enlightenment the meaning of Zero.

2. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

No one knows that isn't dead. Anyone that say's they do is a recruiter. big_smile

PS: This is from the scripture of logic and common sense.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

After death the same as any animal you have seen dead. Wormfood, recycling if you like. smile

1. aka-dj profile image65

That's true, if all you are is a physical body. big_smile

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

what's it to you if he lives or dies, just follow me;

follow me and let the dieing bury the dead;

death has no power over you...you are under grace;

hell and death are no more;

5. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 14 years ago

Having spent a month recently studying death in the Old and New Testaments, I have come to the conclusion that immediatly upon death, our soul dies, God takes back His breath that gave us life, and we rot in the grave in complete oblivion until a future resurection - either the 1st or the 2nd approximatly 1000 years later for an appearance before God's judgement.

The OT definition of Sheol, to which we have the synonymous Hades in the NT, provide absoltuely no evidence of post death torment, pergatory or conciousness. For further confirmation, one can look up an on-line Jewish encyclopedia for a definition of Sheol. Our concept of Hell borrows its ideas from Greek and Roman mythology.

The idea of immediate ascension to Heaven or descent into Hell is just not evident.

Now I shall sit back and await comments such as "burn you heretic"

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

only one heretic per forum, DH...lol

my only gripe is the term OT or old testament. Because it isn't old, though the term is being used constantly. Tanakh { Tor`ah } big_smile

2. aka-dj profile image65

Paul simply said, "Absent from the body, present with the Lord."  hmm

6. kess profile image61
    kessposted 14 years ago

Observe death my friends in the way of the seed which is in itself a fruit bearing tree, which is typical of us human.

A seed  abides within the ground and receive water. This water it typical of the knowledge of good and evil.

Now for the seed to release the life within it, it must die.
    This death may occur beneath the ground, but it need not be so, for while it is still above, it may receive the things necessary for the life within it to transform it into the reality of the fruit bearing tree.

Now the water when outside is the corruption of knowledge of good and evil, within  being purified into the knowledge of life or truth.

This truth separates the seed into that which become the one with the root and the earth, this grows downwards and the tree which ascend into the heavens and bear fruits.

Now, Not all seeds will allow the  water to penetrate neither not all seeds which allow the water to penetrate will use to establish itself, these seeds becomes one with the earth for this is their ultimate death.

7. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The words "after death" don't belong in the same sentence.

As far as common knowledge goes, there is nothing after death.

Everyone KNOWS there is nothing after death. They hope, have faith, in their religious belief, that there is something better.

Many will argue, we are spiritual beings on a human experience, instead of human beings in search of spiritual enrichment.

Enjoy. smile

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out.........

9. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

There is absolutely no way to know.  As others have already said, there's heaps of guesses and hopes regarding our "soul" or the essence of who we are as people, and, also stated above, worms eat the flesh suit we wore while we walked around.

Further discussion is an excercise in optimism, arrogance, obtuseness, or pedantry (or combinations thereof) in my humble opinion.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said. smile lol lol lol

10. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Out of respect for the forum thread we should stick to what was asked of us.  Using scriptural reference, as was requested, I have chosen 1 Peter 4:6
    For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

For those who have met their end there would be no need of preaching nor to be preached to.  During the intern between the death of Jesus Christ and His Resurrection He went and preached to the spirits who have passed on.  He organized the mission effort to preach to those who still have opportunity to progress.  It was there, during this time, that He gave power and authority to the more righteous segment of those spirits to go forth and preach to those who needed the word of God.  That was His mission while His body lay in the tomb.  To me it was an epic point in human history.  Without that mission all would have been lost.

As the scripture says, He preached to the dead.  Even the dead have opportunity to progress.  Now, if they have opportunity to progress then the world of spirits that we enter after death cannot be the ultimate degrees of glory or the "mansions" prepared for us.  They are, as the passage states, a time for all to be taught the gospel that, eventually, they may be equally judged according to men in the flesh (our deeds in mortality) but live according to God in the spirit (the gospel that we will all be taught).  This is the equal platform by which we will all be judged.

11. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Worms mate! Worms! The final resting place, back to ye olde planet! What do you guys hate so much about worms? Are worms god? smile

1. profile image0

lol lol lol lol

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Geeze lyrics, I am feeling the pressure to entertain now, stage fright is rising, performance anxiety at the forefront. Can I go on? smile

1. profile image0

Your killing me so bad im thinking this is after death lol lol lol

Stay with us lyrics, you know I love you, can I offer you half a sheep, or are you a modern girl and see more value in an Audi as SirDent suggests? smile

1. profile image0

prefer a black cobra mustang, string of pearls and carton of smokes

or 100 bucks

lyrics, just so you know, you could sell the Audi V8 and buy all that and an Island! smile

1. profile image0

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here's to after death! lol

12. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

its confusing this after death.  I recon I'll get fried and sprinkled over Neiman Marcus in Times Square and then I'll never be alone.  hmmm....

lol lol lol

13. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Just a thought but wouldn't it be cool if when you died it wasn't heaven we were all crammed in but rather the Humaine Society?  Just a thought.  Could be confused both start with H

That is enough to confuse me! :LOL:

14. defenestratethis profile image61
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

Well who knows? No ones made it back from that journey to tell about it.

Do you think all the enlightened ones have lied till now?

Absolutely! smile

2. aka-dj profile image65

Except Jesus.(Of course.)
      But why believe Him?
      (You may have to swallow some unpleasantness about yourself I guess.)
      sad

Except Jesus this attitude is what is causing all these wars and terrorism, ego and attachment toward ones prophet or religion, My prophet is the greatest so I am the greatest, ego clashes getting seriously ugly.

They are idol worshiper we are not, nonsense you have many idols as well.

They kill animals for sacrifice ,nonsense the Christians  kill Turkeys by the thousands or million every year.

15. tipperary profile image61
    tipperaryposted 14 years ago

I guess we will have to wait an see,  this is one time i hope the wait will be a long one!!!

Dont be scared.

DEATH

Death comes to you in the middle of the night,
      Or sweeps you away in broad daylight.

This being mans biggest doubt,
      Death is not to be talked about.

Where he comes from where he goes?
      We have no tangible proof that shows.

The masters say there is a holy light,
      In the beginning and during our last flight.

How do I overcome my fear of death?
      By leading a good life and having no regret.

The moment I die I must do my best,
      To become one with the light, eternal rest.

The soul must merge with the super soul,
      Forever to become part of the whole.

As long as I have much to give,
      That is how long I will live.

At the end to death I must go,
      Finishing a real tragic and funny show.
      smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)